Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

So what do people make of XV's soundtrack?

It's mostly pretty good, except for Cindy's theme, that's just grating.

I love it. It's one of my favorite FF soundtracks period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
It's good?

I admit there isn't a whole lot music so far in the game so far besides battle themes but holy poo poo they are good.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Grass is green, sky is blue, water is wet, Yoko Shimomura is a loving amazing musician who makes good music.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

While I understand all the bitching about ignis's blindness, it's pretty obviously cut DLC content.

All 3 of the bros vanish on their own adventures at various points of the game. Gladio's sudden reappearance at the power plant, Prompto's kidnapping. You will get to see what happened to Ignis in the season pass, I guarantee you.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I don't know what it is, but I haven't really had a soundtrack stick in my head after IX. There are a couple tracks that I remember from X also, but past that it's mostly a blur. Like I'd recognize most of them if I heard them again, but there's something about them that just isn't as memorable to me even if I can fully acknowledge that it's very well-done, nicely composed music when I just sit down and listen to the songs.

I sorta suspect that the move to voiced dialogue has a big part to do with that, like I'm busier paying attention to the voices and the music becomes part of the background, but that doesn't seem to be the case for other people so maybe I'm just weird. To me it feels like the older games had to rely more on the music to really drive home the mood of the dialogue / events on screen, so it's way easier for me to associate certain tracks with certain memories of the games.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ImpAtom posted:

I love it. It's one of my favorite FF soundtracks period.

I loving love the chocobo theme's treatment in this game. Even the way it cuts down to a squeaky little flute version when you're going through water. :sureboat:

E: the battle themes are baller as hell, too, but I could have done with less of the prelude rendition being played every time I'm playing magic bartender.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Dec 4, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://twitter.com/digitaldiatribe/status/805311254382292992

Regarding XCX and FFXV comparisons the past few pages, FFXV isn't making me pull my hair out figuring out where the hell I need to go unlike XCX. I have yet to touch a guide while in XCX I needed to consult a walkthrough, a thomas guide and a priest to divine where I should be going.

If you gave me both games on the same day, I'd go FFXV every time. No question.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Noirex posted:

All 3 of the bros vanish on their own adventures at various points of the game. Gladio's sudden reappearance at the power plant, Prompto's kidnapping. You will get to see what happened to Ignis in the season pass, I guarantee you.

I assumed that Ignis would cover the 10 year gap where he learns to fight blind. Frankly I was sort of hoping all the DLC would cover the 10 year gap because the World of Ruin is infinitely more interesting as a DLC area than whatever the gently caress Gladio was up to.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

ApplesandOranges posted:

This soundtrack is godly. It's better than 13, 12, and 10 at least.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ntan1 posted:

And if you don't agree, it has 13's, 12's, and 10's! :buddy:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

ApplesandOranges posted:

Incredibly good. The battle music when fighting Imperial bosses is ridiculously energetic. Even the menu music's good, which helps a normally tedious experience (thankfully, FFXV's UI is solid, so the overall experience is positive).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ntan1 posted:

Hell it's better than 8 and 9 and a solid contender against 7.

Also the Florence + The Machine cover of stand by me kind of owns, as does this :3: as hell commercial: https://youtu.be/2Bxn9ghud00

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can't believe this game's tomberries Are basically Yoda from the end of Clone Wars

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I could not stand the anime dolls and the music in XBX. Also I like having my map clearly laid out for me with points of interest instead of what the gently caress is this XBX grid hell

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I don't know what it is, but I haven't really had a soundtrack stick in my head after IX. There are a couple tracks that I remember from X also, but past that it's mostly a blur. Like I'd recognize most of them if I heard them again, but there's something about them that just isn't as memorable to me even if I can fully acknowledge that it's very well-done, nicely composed music when I just sit down and listen to the songs.

I sorta suspect that the move to voiced dialogue has a big part to do with that, like I'm busier paying attention to the voices and the music becomes part of the background, but that doesn't seem to be the case for other people so maybe I'm just weird. To me it feels like the older games had to rely more on the music to really drive home the mood of the dialogue / events on screen, so it's way easier for me to associate certain tracks with certain memories of the games.

I can remember 3 tracks from Final Fantasy XIII and two of them are the battle theme and boss theme. I remember bits and pieces of a few bits of songs from XV so far but overall the tracks are not hitting me in the same way either. People I talk to seem pretty polarized about XV's tracks, and it makes me feel guilty because I generally like Shimomura's music.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

isk posted:

Incredibly good. The battle music when fighting Imperial bosses is ridiculously energetic. Even the menu music's good, which helps a normally tedious experience (thankfully, FFXV's UI is solid, so the overall experience is positive).

On the contrary, I don't like some of those songs. There's too much in them. To me, where the music shines area the more quiet songs (but the normal battle theme is pretty good).

*edit* oh this one too. note the title may be a spoiler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RLI-3FQyhY

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 4, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

isk posted:

Eh. I like it because it has charm for days. I dig the combat and music and overall story (even if it's rough in spots). I'd be fine with a leaner, connect-the-dots story if it was more consistently that, and I think the combat should be explained better (the gap between beginner and intermediate is significant), but for my bit I'm not giving it a pass due to the series. Are some folks? Probably, that's a reasonable take.

As someone who digs the combat, can you explain what you feel like an intermediate skill level person should be doing. I'm like 20 hours in, and as far as I can tell there are only 2 ways to deal with large group combat in this game excluding using magic to instant explode the fights.

1. Always be warping in and out of the fight, and getting link attacks whenever you do go in, and then immediately warping out.
2. Holding L1 and countering everything.

As far as I can tell there does not seem to be any feasible way to stay in the fray and execute full combos against more than 3-4 enemies. You will almost always get hit and interrupted by an offscreen enemy or just some flailing enemy that has way faster attack animations than you.

Neither of the two above options are very exciting ways to play, so I find the combat pretty bad. The game seems like it wants to be kingdom hearts or devil may cry lite, especially with all the effort they put into making tons of subtly different combos, but the game never gives you a good chance to execute any of them unless you are against 1-2 enemies only.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You're supposed to be warping in and out but good luck trying to do that in corridors and dungeons where there's no warp points. Just buy a poo poo load of consumables

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Megasabin posted:

As someone who digs the combat, can you explain what you feel like an intermediate skill level person should be doing. I'm like 20 hours in, and as far as I can tell there are only 2 ways to deal with large group combat in this game excluding using magic to instant explode the fights.

1. Always be warping in and out of the fight, and getting link attacks whenever you do go in, and then immediately warping out.

As far as I can tell there does not seem to be any feasible way to stay in the fray and execute full combos against more than 3-4 enemies. You will almost always get hit and interrupted by an offscreen enemy or just some flailing enemy that has way faster attack animations than you.

Neither of the two above options are very exciting ways to play, so I find the combat pretty bad. The game seems like it wants to be kingdom hearts or devil may cry lite, especially with all the effort they put into making tons of subtly different combos, but the game never gives you a good chance to execute any of them unless you are against 1-2 enemies only.

prompto has magnetos gravity squeeze under the techniques ascension tree

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
So about Ravos my take was that he was never that bad. He tried to take the ring in Lucis because he wanted personal power, enough to free his little country from the Niffs. Then as the Empire becomes more obviously evil and Luna convinces him with her sincerity he decides to help Noctis.

And he does that by becoming chief of the Niff military and then destroying them by making big tactical blunders? I don't know if I'm filling in gaps but that's actually a pretty great narrative. This proud guy sacrificing himself, his reputation, his legacy to help destroy the enemy from within. I like that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Is the "bad" stealth section that everyone talks about where you have to reclaim the Regalia or later in the game? I went through it with no issues and didn't seem at all offensive in anyway. :shrug:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Megasabin posted:

It's situational, but generally I prioritize ranged first, especially anything that can stun (like snipers). Keep an eye out for charging melees, parry as needed. Warping's vital for crowd control as well (knockdown / vulnerability). and it naturally spreads poo poo out. Beyond that, maximize the weapon types and ascensions as they're acquired. Axe of the Conqueror is great as a first hit but isn't always the best for AoE. Warp/Phase efficiency pay off a lot. Things like that.

I hit a wall around 15-20 and didn't run into one again until closer to endgame / late sidequests, but that was easier to overcome than the first.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Is the "bad" stealth section that everyone talks about where you have to reclaim the Regalia or later in the game? I went through it with no issues and didn't seem at all offensive in anyway. :shrug:

Later

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

8-bit Miniboss posted:

ch13 is the terrible part everyone is complaining about

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I'll make a note of it but I fear I will have the opposite opinion others have.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'll make a note of it but I fear I will have the opposite opinion others have.

You almost certainly won't. It isn't that the stealth is bad or hard, it is that the entire segment is an overly-long tedious drag through identical corridors with most of the game mechanics removed. It's not even really 'stealth' though the game tries to pretend it can be.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You almost certainly won't. It isn't that the stealth is bad or hard, it is that the entire segment is an overly-long tedious drag through identical corridors with most of the game mechanics removed. It's not even really 'stealth' though the game tries to pretend it can be.

This. I'm finishing it up now and it's a horrible slog. Stealth is pointless cause the enemies still get dealt with faster through straight combat with seemingly no downsides. I didn't think it was so bad at first, then it went on for an hour. And then another hour. I've just been mindlessly going through it with netflix to keep me distracted, only pausing for a bit any time I hit any story. I won't say it's the worst thing I've ever seen in games, but it's pretty drat bad.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Chilled Food Tin...

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody have insight on how to spend AP? I'm about halfway through the game and have all the cheap obvious poo poo like the first passive skills and a couple techniques for each character, the basic upgrades to blindside and warp strike damage, second accessories for everybody, etc. Now it feels like AP is coming at the same speed but everything that looks interesting costs like 60, 99, or 300 points.

Is Ignis's Regenerate "heal" good? Are the level-based stat boosts actually mechanically substantive?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I wish you could set some individual AI parameters Dragon Age style. Prompto is 7 levels behind now because he tries shooting his gun at melee range.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nina posted:

I wish you could set some individual AI parameters Dragon Age style. Prompto is 7 levels behind now because he tries shooting his gun at melee range.

Honestly you should just get used to assuming all of your pals are gonna get smashed in the face all the time and treat them like disposable meat shields who you can spam skills from. The only thing you can really do is get Ignis' Regroup skill and load him up with defensive items so he's alive enough to use it.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Actually, something I recall that I'm not sure about :

When Noctis gets Roused by someone, does that involve a permanent stat boost or just something temporary? I assume the latter but I realize I never checked.

It's temporary. You can see an icon next to Noct's health bar right afterward.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Prompto has like two hundred HP less than Noctis and the second-highest vitality after Gladio. Thank you Magitek Shield!

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Holy gently caress lol, chapter 10 Ignis is apparently blind now, and I don't get told that until after I agree to take him with me into a dungeon where I have to wait for his blind rear end to slowly follow me around. This game :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Where are some good Machinery weapons for Prompto btw, I've only had the two you get early on for like 20 hours now.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Reminder to the people that are going through or will go through the horrible ch13. You can still use ring magic during the chapter.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Are the big fish in the water you can see while casting but not on the mini map catchable?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

MMD3 posted:

Submitting my nomination for shittiest quest: Steam Valve Inspection.

I hated the chocobo photography quest. Yeah let's put this in an old boss arena that you can only access through one little hole in a massive walled area and are blocked from the other entrance and oh yeah you can't fast travel out of it because reasons.

Also the pro tip about Ignis's weapon buff ability is super solid, though I'm already sick of seeing the animation for it. However there's a good chance that he gets stuck halfway through casting with his arm in the air and when that happens he doesn't finish the ability and is frozen in combat until I call it again and snap him out of it. Bugs!

What the gently caress is Promto's Starshell supposed to actually do? I get it's description and in theory it sounds like it's supposed to pull aggro from enemies but I've yet to see even the shittiest mob react to it besides sometimes turning red?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Yodzilla posted:

What the gently caress is Promto's Starshell supposed to actually do? I get it's description and in theory it sounds like it's supposed to pull aggro from enemies but I've yet to see even the shittiest mob react to it besides sometimes turning red?

I dunno, I used it on a Red Knight daemon at night and it lit up a huge loving flare and the knight just stared at it. By the time it wore off I could do it again so I just kinda..stunlocked it like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Currently in chapter 5 and those weapon upgrade quests are cluttering up my quest list. I take it I won't be able to get most of those materials for a while?

• Locked thread