Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Gold is the best color. Sorry

Hell yeah to this.

Bluetooth is fine for my VZ iPhone 7 on both music and podcast. The only issue I'll have is I'm using the MPow adapter in my car, and you def have to turn on the MPow first, make sure it beeps that it's paired, THEN play whatever, or phone just won't route to it. I'm pretty sure this is an issue with the MPow, because it had a similar issue with my iPhone 6S before I upgraded my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

e.pilot posted:

While we're on the topic of problems with the 7, is anyone else having GPS issues with their 7+? It will frequently say no GPS found or have terrible accuracy putting me on roads quite a ways from the road I am on.
This is what any iPhone does when the GPS unit is failing, Apple store it.

Epi Lepi posted:

My uncle is dumb as hell when it comes to technology but loves to throw money at it when it comes to gifts. He wants to buy a VR Headset for someone who owns an iPhone 6s
There's really no such thing. 'VR headsets' for an iPhone are just Google cardboard or a rubberised version of the same.
The effect and experience is very poor compared to an actual VR headset.
AFAIK playstation VR is the cheapest way to get into real VR.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I've got auto lock already set to 30 sec but I've noticed sometimes that at night while the phone is charging I'll get a notification and the screen won't switch off. It'll just stay bright and on until I actually go and shut it off myself.

What's the deal?

Edit: Actually I've noticed sometimes that the phone just won't go to sleep completely. The screen will dim but you can still futz with the phone. It's weird and tbh really annoying.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
For me, iOS has tons of weird glitches like that. Best solution is to just restart the phone.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I really enjoy the iPhone 5 glitch where the touchscreen becomes unresponsive when charging while in a case.

And especially how that continues with the SE. 3 generations, same glitch.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Thanks 6s owners for clogging up all the repair appointments :mad:

Some kid ran into me while we were out yesterday and knocked my 7+ out of my hand shattering the screen into roughly 1 squillion pieces and there's no appointments at any nearby apple stores this week :(

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Get to the store within 15 minutes of when they open if you can, they can do a walk in appointment within 20 minutes if you're early enough, in my experience.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Maneki Neko posted:

Some kid ran into me while we were out yesterday and knocked my 7+ out of my hand shattering the screen into roughly 1 squillion pieces and there's no appointments at any nearby apple stores this week :(

drat :/

How did you guys discuss what happened after your phone smashed? I assume you have AC+? I opted not to get AC+ so I'm afraid of something like that happening to me.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Any case recommendations for iPhone 7? Currently using a official Apple silicon but don't know how it stands the test of time.

Also, that lightning-to-3.5mm dongle is frail as hell. I hope I don't miss the native 3.5mm jack too much :(

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BoyBlunder posted:

Any case recommendations for iPhone 7? Currently using a official Apple silicon but don't know how it stands the test of time.

Also, that lightning-to-3.5mm dongle is frail as hell. I hope I don't miss the native 3.5mm jack too much :(

I've been a big fan of tech21 cases for years now.

Also check out the Anker Bluetooth earbuds, they're cheap a fairly good.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BoyBlunder posted:

Apple Saddle Brown Leather Case.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

e.pilot posted:

I've been a big fan of tech21 cases for years now.

Also check out the Anker Bluetooth earbuds, they're cheap a fairly good.
Do their d3o cases actually work?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Josh Lyman posted:

Do their d3o cases actually work?

No case is perfect but they do a drat good job for how fairly minimal they are.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

e.pilot posted:

No case is perfect

I think many in this thread will beg to differ.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Michael Scott posted:

drat :/

How did you guys discuss what happened after your phone smashed? I assume you have AC+? I opted not to get AC+ so I'm afraid of something like that happening to me.

It was a kid so she said "oh wow" and ran away. I've always 100% gotten my moneys worth out of applecare on any apple product I've ever bought, it's the only extended warranty that is an automatic buy for me. :(

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Dec 5, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Dave posted:

I'm in a huge clusterfuck with my wife's phone, really hoping someone here can help.

She did an encrypted backup and when restoring iTunes got the message that her backup was corrupted.

I found decipher back up tools which did eventually fix it, but all of her photos from 2016 are gone. I then downloaded a backup extractor by the same company and while all her 2016 photos are there in the backup, they appear corrupted or can't be viewed.

Does anyone know of any other programs that are good at unpacking an iPhone backup and maybe there's some Hail Mary way to fix these photos?

Thanks all.

This is a long shot, but do you maybe have a 2016 backup that isn't encrypted stored in time machine or (I forgot what the windows one was called, but it would work too)? You could restore to that backup, extract the photos, import them into iphoto or windows equivalent then sync them back. An older encrypted backup might work but I don't use encrypted backups so I don't know if itunes automatically makes periodic backups like it does for unecrypted.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Unfortunately there weren't any recent backups of the phone so she's just SOL. Apparently Apple has fixed this bug in 10.2 it's just really really frustrating to k or all the data is there but there's no way to get to it.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Maneki Neko posted:

It was a kid so she said "oh wow" and ran away. I've always 100% gotten my moneys worth out of applecare on any apple product I've ever bought, it's the only extended warranty that is an automatic buy for me. :(

AC+ has been a lifesaver for me too - I'm not a fan of the appointment setup, and I was once told that I had to make an appointment while standing in an almost 100% empty Apple Store with no queue for repairs at all, but the majority of the time I've lucked out and had them do my repairs for free, not even using any of my AC+ things. I had my 5s fixed 4 times and only had to pay once, and that was for a busted screen.

Picked up a 7 plus a few days ago because my 5s wouldn't charge anymore and started thinking it had no SIM, and I'm seriously impressed. Everything from camera quality to battery life has blown me away, and while I wasn't sure I'd like the giant screen, it's not too unwieldy. And while I kinda felt this way with the 5s, the 7+ is the first iPhone I haven't wanted to jailbreak. A little more customization would be nice, but they've integrated nearly all of my most-used jailbreak tweaks (and with the rise of phone malware, I'm fine with the walled garden).

But, wtf did they do to Bluetooth?? I have to shut it on and off every time I want to use headphones/speakers, because it will connect but not allow output otherwise - and for the first time, I've had my headphones drop connection/stutter, along with random pausing of music when the phone is locked and sitting on a table. It's not a giant problem, but it didn't happen with any previous iPhones.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
It took me all of one day to get used to the screen size. Now the regular screens seem small, nevermind how tiny the SE looks.

Try out the camera in some night shots/indoor settings. It's kinda wild.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dali Parton posted:

It took me all of one day to get used to the screen size. Now the regular screens seem small, nevermind how tiny the SE looks.

Try out the camera in some night shots/indoor settings. It's kinda wild.

It's good.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm so annoyed. I scheduled an appointment for the battery replacement a week in advance and when I get there they had already run out of batteries. Wtf is the point of an appointment for a specific program if it won't reserve you the inventory and service? Why couldn't they just cancel/reschedule me instead of wasting my time.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Ethereal posted:

I'm so annoyed. I scheduled an appointment for the battery replacement a week in advance and when I get there they had already run out of batteries. Wtf is the point of an appointment for a specific program if it won't reserve you the inventory and service? Why couldn't they just cancel/reschedule me instead of wasting my time.

The appointment system is 100% automated, the apple store doesn't know what your issue is (even if you type in why you're visiting) until you show up for the appointment.

source: used to work there

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Trying to buy AppleCare for an hour and their poo poo is down. Lol

Weedle
May 31, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Trying to buy AppleCare for an hour and their poo poo is down. Lol

Buy it over the phone. The website has never worked in my experience.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm getting a bit frustrated at the general lack of not giant Android phones and looking at the refurbished 6s or maybe even a 7. Is there anything I should know before trying to drink the Apple flavoraid?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

monster on a stick posted:

I'm getting a bit frustrated at the general lack of not giant Android phones and looking at the refurbished 6s or maybe even a 7. Is there anything I should know before trying to drink the Apple flavoraid?

Mess around with one in the store to make sure you like it first and can do all the things you need to do.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Maybe read the iOS release summaries on macrumors.com for the past couple of years. iOS and Android aren't as different as they used to be five or six years ago. Apple even allows custom keyboard software now. Are there any things you do on your current android that you think you'll miss out on? The only thing I still really miss from android are icon packs. But other than that it's been a smooth transition.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I recently switched and the only major thing I miss is file management / being able to attach files to an email from the app. Everything else is fine and reliable, although I wouldn't consider iOS better than stock Android. Hardware-wise it's much better than any Android phone I had.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Honj Steak posted:

I recently switched and the only major thing I miss is file management / being able to attach files to an email from the app. Everything else is fine and reliable, although I wouldn't consider iOS better than stock Android. Hardware-wise it's much better than any Android phone I had.

Can you not attach files from iCloud Drive?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Looks like Awful.app updated with iMessage stickers! Now I just need to know more people who use iMessage...

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

Looks like Awful.app updated with iMessage stickers! Now I just need to know more people who use iMessage...

This, this is the best thing that's ever happened.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Step one: stop equating making a consumer choice with joining a cult. It makes you seem goony as gently caress.

"Hmmm, I think I'll take myself down to the fruit stand, chug the kool-aide and get myself a new daily driver that suits my needs."
:goonsay:

"Sir this is an Arby's."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

Yes but can you rotate the phone without the app freezing yet?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

xzzy posted:

I've never actually used the app in landscape before. Just flipped it sideways and back again there now in both the bookmarks view and thread view and it worked fine.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I just rotated it to landscape while reading this thread and it didn't freeze. Rotated it back and it was fine as well. iPhone 6S on Verizon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It still happens for me in the bookmark page.

Maybe it's limited to specific phones. :iiam:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

xzzy posted:

You're holding the app wrong.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Step one: stop equating making a consumer choice with joining a cult. It makes you seem goony as gently caress.

"Hmmm, I think I'll take myself down to the fruit stand, chug the kool-aide and get myself a new daily driver that suits my needs."
:goonsay:

"Sir this is an Arby's."

lol

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Just be aware that life is easier the more of it you chug. There's no real options for changing the default apps so there'll always be slight annoyances if you want to use non-default apps for a lot of tasks - especially if you intend on using Siri much. There isn't the same level of customisation as you would get with Android but if you just grit your teeth and bare it for a while, you'll eventually notice that everything is in a more natural place, even if it's not what you're used to.

Also, restoring from backups on the same or different devices is infinitely easier with iCloud backups. I've still not been able to work out a super simple way to automate a friend's Android backups so that if they lose their data or buy a whole new phone, everything comes back exactly where they left it on the last phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Also, don't sync your phone with iTunes. There is no reason to and it's just a more difficult, shittier way of accomplishing the same things you could with iCloud.