Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I know it's sacrilege, but I hope Ford pairs a powerful engine with a good torque converter automatic in the new Fiesta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDzi6zm7SHA

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2016/11/16/ford-to-reveal-new-ford-fiesta-at-go-further-event-on-nov--29-in.html

http://www.gofurther.fordpresskits.com/

(the above links will work in a couple hours it looks like, I feel like a dorky Apple fanboi waiting for the drop)
They released a pic on twitter.

shocking, i am shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Hey fist bros who run general altimax 185/60/15 winters. What air pressure are you running? Mine are at 36 all round, but they look and feel a little squishy...

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

I have Dunlops in that size and I'm running 34. They haven't felt all that awful but I was thinking about bumping it up a few PSI and seeing if there is a noticeable difference.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

PaintVagrant posted:

Hey fist bros who run general altimax 185/60/15 winters. What air pressure are you running? Mine are at 36 all round, but they look and feel a little squishy...

I usually run 40 on my 19s and 38 on my winter 17s. Mostly because I only ever air up about once a month and this gives me a little wiggle room between air ups.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Anyone have advice on how the hell you buy a Focus RS? I live in Fort Wayne, IN and there isn't a single dealer within 50 miles that has one or even has an allocation for one.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
What about this guy? Expand the search a little maybe.. edmunds.com inventory checker shows 60 within 200 miles of Fort Wayne

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

Anyone have advice on how the hell you buy a Focus RS? I live in Fort Wayne, IN and there isn't a single dealer within 50 miles that has one or even has an allocation for one.

Local goon detected.

All three in town owners had to search out an out of town dealer because Bob Thomas are a bunch of cunts.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Huge_Midget posted:

Search and be willing to travel to get one at or even below MSRP. The guy I work with that has thought about buying another one multiple times had a dealer that was gonna give him $1500 off on one not too long ago.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 4, 2016

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

two_beer_bishes posted:

What about this guy? Expand the search a little maybe.. edmunds.com inventory checker shows 60 within 200 miles of Fort Wayne

Rhyno posted:

Local goon detected.

All three in town owners had to search out an out of town dealer because Bob Thomas are a bunch of cunts.

Am I reading that right? Is it showing one in stock? I guess I'll have to go over and look tomorrow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

Am I reading that right? Is it showing one in stock? I guess I'll have to go over and look tomorrow.

It was there as of last Wednesday. I know two people who intended to buy it but like I said, BT is a bunch of cunts.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
Start emailing dealerships, regardless of how far away they are. If they have an allocation left, they can do a courtesy delivery to a dealership close to you. The courtesy delivery has to be setup before the car ships from the factory.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Huge_Midget posted:

Do they carry FiST? When I was shopping for a FiST here in Ohio, I kept finding FoST (which every dealership tried to up sell me on) , but could not find what I wanted. Finally found one I settled on , but it didn't have the recaros, it does have a sunroof I didn't want.

There is a '16 near me that is being marked down to a tempting level, but I really want to wait and see what the changes for '18 re-vamp are. I know the ST will look a bit different, but I'm not liking the picture above. They will probably keep the 1.6T, right?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dr.Caligari posted:

I know the ST will look a bit different, but I'm not liking the picture above. They will probably keep the 1.6T, right?

The current ST-Line models (the watered down ones only offered in Europe) basically have the same front ends as the real STs minus the badging, though they have a more base-like rear end without the spoiler or center exhaust in the case of the Focus, so it's probably a safe bet that the next Fiesta ST will follow the same basic trend and the ST-Line model they previewed is basically what it'll look like.

As for the engine, the 1.6 is being replaced with the 1.5 in a lot of models so that's not unreasonable to expect. It's apparently the same basic block, destroked to fit Chinese tax regulations, with a new head that uses the "headifold" integrated manifold design like the Focus. Power numbers are quoted as basically the same, but I don't know what impact the changes will have on mod potential if the FiST ends up going that way.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Rhyno posted:

It was there as of last Wednesday. I know two people who intended to buy it but like I said, BT is a bunch of cunts.

Got any specifics on why they are cunts? I don't doubt it but if I call over there tomorrow and have to deal with them, any additional info would be helpful. I saw it in the showroom along with a GT350R, obviously no stickers because that would be too easy.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm selling off the stuff that used to be on my '16 GTI.
JB1 with Data Cable - $300 shipped
Circuit Werks Catted DP - $275 shipped
034 Motorsports Dogbone Insert v1 - $20 shipped

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

Got any specifics on why they are cunts? I don't doubt it but if I call over there tomorrow and have to deal with them, any additional info would be helpful. I saw it in the showroom along with a GT350R, obviously no stickers because that would be too easy.

They are known for the shady dealer tricks. The rebrand to Bob Thomas was just to shake off the bad rep of Dimension but it's still the same people in charge.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Rhyno posted:

They are known for the shady dealer tricks. The rebrand to Bob Thomas was just to shake off the bad rep of Dimension but it's still the same people in charge.

Emailed Bob Thomas, initially they wanted $5000 over MSRP. Told the guy I wasn't interested, he came down to $1000 over MSRP. Jim Schmidt in Hicksville is getting a black 2016 and they want $500 over MSRP. O'Daniel Ford in New Haven wants me to come in and sit down and put down a $500 refundable deposit to start the order process for a 2017, and they don't know for sure if they'll get an allocation or if my order will even be selected for production. Pretty much all of the other dealers flat out told me they don't have any and can't get any.

Why is it so loving hard to buy a goddamn car?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

Emailed Bob Thomas, initially they wanted $5000 over MSRP. Told the guy I wasn't interested, he came down to $1000 over MSRP. Jim Schmidt in Hicksville is getting a black 2016 and they want $500 over MSRP. O'Daniel Ford in New Haven wants me to come in and sit down and put down a $500 refundable deposit to start the order process for a 2017, and they don't know for sure if they'll get an allocation or if my order will even be selected for production. Pretty much all of the other dealers flat out told me they don't have any and can't get any.

Why is it so loving hard to buy a goddamn car?

Schmidt would be my choice of all of those. O'Daniel second.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Schmidt would be my choice of all of those. O'Daniel second.

Talked to O'Daniel, they were pretty cool and laid back about the whole thing. They want a $500 refundable deposit to place the order, and are fine with selling it at MSRP. They can't guarantee that the car will get selected for build, but they said since it's so early into the 2017 model year that there is a good chance that it will get built. I'm thinking that I'll probably go in later this week and put down the deposit and get to order it exactly how I want it.

Seriously though, gently caress any dealership that charges over MSRP. I'm not going to pay you more money for the loving privilege of buying a car from your shady rear end dealership.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I can't imagine paying MSRP. I'd be cross shopping a mustang Ecoboost or golf r after dealing with that.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
It's a relatively limited production vehicle that's also high in demand. Of course they are going to tax the people who MUST HAVE IT NOWWWWW.

Just don't be one of those people and you're good to go.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

Talked to O'Daniel, they were pretty cool and laid back about the whole thing. They want a $500 refundable deposit to place the order, and are fine with selling it at MSRP. They can't guarantee that the car will get selected for build, but they said since it's so early into the 2017 model year that there is a good chance that it will get built. I'm thinking that I'll probably go in later this week and put down the deposit and get to order it exactly how I want it.

Seriously though, gently caress any dealership that charges over MSRP. I'm not going to pay you more money for the loving privilege of buying a car from your shady rear end dealership.

We bought a used Scion from another O'Daniel dealership and the service was incredible. The salesman we used continued to call and make certain everything was still to our satisfaction a few weeks after we bought it. My late stepfather was an O'Daniel Ford customer for 20 years and never had a single thing to complain about.

Bob Thomas employs the kind of people who joyride in customer cars when they're in for repairs. A friends Mustang had almost 200 more miles on it than when he dropped it off for service and he's still fighting with them over that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Buying a '17 GTI sport right now

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

fknlo posted:

Buying a '17 GTI sport right now

What did you get it for? I know you've been hunting for a good deal. I finally had to quit on my hot hatch dreams because I couldn't get a dog and baby in them comfortably/safely at the same time

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Maksimus54 posted:

What did you get it for? I know you've been hunting for a good deal. I finally had to quit on my hot hatch dreams because I couldn't get a dog and baby in them comfortably/safely at the same time

How big is your dog? I'd imagine a golf variant would have worked unless your dog is a horse.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I've got a 70lb lab that doesn't like being in tight spaces, the golf hatch just didn't leave him enough space. He's also too rambunctious to be left next to the infant so alas the GTI dream was killed for now.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Put in an order for a 2017 Focus RS, Nitrous Blue, all the options. Praying to god it gets built.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Maksimus54 posted:

$22.5k.

I went to test drive the AWD Sportwagen. While I was waiting on a friend I checked their inventory and saw they had a GTI Sport listed at that price. My focus immediately switched to it. The only "issue" is that VW is only offering the incentives that total up to that discount if you lease the car. I didn't want to do that but the finance price was $3k more. So I'll basically just take care of the lease once my TDI gets bought back. I've never done a lease before and there were a ton of numbers so they could have fleeced me if they wanted to, but I don't think they did? Who the hell knows. I do have a more fun DD now! I do feel bad for my Golf though, she's been a great car :(

Only pic I got since it was getting dark. Red wasn't my first choice in color, but it would have only been 2nd or 3rd so no biggie. My only actual issue is that my s2k is red so now I'm a "red car guy". I also need to figure out if the 17's off my TDI will fit on it for winter wheels.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 7, 2016

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Nicely done, definitely jealous!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
They should fit

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Maksimus54 posted:

Nicely done, definitely jealous!

It was a grand less than I was trying to get the other local dealer down to a couple weeks back. I'm glad they couldn't get their price down.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So you got a lease? What's the terms/payment/mileage limit? What's the price if you choose to buy it at the end of the lease?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

So you got a lease? What's the terms/payment/mileage limit? What's the price if you choose to buy it at the end of the lease?

Yeah, got a lease. It's what VW is currently requiring in order to get these particular incentives. 3 years/$403 a month/15k(?) mileage. The residual is $16663.95. My plan is to pay off the lease after a sell my TDI back within 6 months so that I can still get a break on the sales tax. I'll probably just finance whatever the difference is and then have it paid off within a year. Or I might just pay cash for the difference. I'll figure that out when I get to that point. The numbers made since when the guy was explaining them to me, so I think things were alright? I wasn't all that worried about the terms though since I have no intention of going the full lease term.

My 100 mile review:

I haven't taken the car over 5k rpm yet but I'm loving the power delivery. I'm kind of amazed I went with my TDI over a GTI when I made my last purchase. The steering feels better and throttle response is worlds better than the TDI. It's nowhere near as good as my s2k, but the tach moves when you touch the gas pedal which wasn't a thing with the TDI. Infotainment is better as well with some cool options like oil temp. The only thing worse than what the mk6 had is the placement of certain steering wheel buttons. The volume buttons and station change buttons are in much worse locations. They aren't terrible but they were much better on the previous gen.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh, man, wait until you do a DP + JB4/Tune. Your S2000 is going to feel broken :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How did they tell you it's 22.5k? Your payments are 14508 over 3 years and then a purchase price of 16600???

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
That sounds pretty close to being accurate, assuming no money down and tax included in the lease payment. VW doesn't have the best money factor (APR) on their leases.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

How did they tell you it's 22.5k? Your payments are 14508 over 3 years and then a purchase price of 16600???

I'd assume he put money down, too. This sounds like the most expensive 22.5k GTI in existence. Even sales tax in MO is 4.225%, so <1k on the purchase price. What happened here?

Edit: if above is true (no money down, tax included), still that sounds bad.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 7, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A 45k Altima!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That's what I was thinking. Hopefully he's just not explaining things well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Larrymer posted:

I'd assume he put money down, too. This sounds like the most expensive 22.5k GTI in existence. Even sales tax in MO is 4.225%, so <1k on the purchase price. What happened here?

Edit: if above is true (no money down, tax included), still that sounds bad.

Well no, it really isn't. GTIs don't lease that well but given this is on the VW website:

quote:

Lease a 2017 Golf GTI 2.0T S with manual transmission for $359* a month. 36-month lease. Excludes tax, title, license, registration, options, and dealer fees. For highly qualified customers through Volkswagen Credit.

*Closed end lease financing available through January 3, 2017 for a new, unused 2017 Golf GTI 2.0T S with manual transmission, on approved credit by Volkswagen Credit through participating dealers. Monthly lease payment based on MSRP of $26,415 and destination charges, excluding title, tax, options, accessories, and dealer fees. Monthly payments total $12,924, and include acquisition fee of $625 and capitalized cost reductionYour payment will vary based on dealer contribution and the final negotiated price. Lessee responsible for insurance, maintenance and repairs. At lease end, lessee responsible for disposition fee of $350, $0.20/mile over for miles driven in excess of 12,000 miles per year and excessive wear and tear. Purchase option at lease end for $15,584.85,

I'd say he did pretty drat well on leasing a GTI sport at 15k miles a year for $400 a month.