Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I would be surprised if you couldn't, considering you can do that with the G900. But why wouldn't you just get a wired G403 if you were going to take the battery out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Mionix are good and not that expensive. Perfectly suitable for FPS play. I use a Naos 7000 and wish Logitech would release some sort of half-G502 half-Naos mouse.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

halokiller posted:

They have the only wireless mouse that could run for months on AA batteries.

So true. I had a mx anywhere mouse for my laptop and while I didn't use it every day, the batteries lasted for nearly two years.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Horizontal Tree posted:

Mionix are good and not that expensive. Perfectly suitable for FPS play. I use a Naos 7000 and wish Logitech would release some sort of half-G502 half-Naos mouse.

What grip do you use with it? I like the size/lighter weight a lot but am having trouble figuring out how to hold it. My hands are almost always too large to palm grip but claw ends up feeling awkward on this.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I palm grip it, with my ring and pinky fingers curled a bit so the tips rest at the end and side of the finger rest. Index and middle fingers pretty straight. I wish it were a little wider in back and kinda... angled slightly differently, but otherwise I like it. Its different from the G502 and I can use either one happily but neither is quite perfect for me. Haven't settled on a replacement yet.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Megalixir posted:

Because the only other options are Razer (QC issues over 5+ years, nobody over the age of 20 should be buying these), Roccat (heavy, expensive) Zowie (difficult to find, pre-BenQ were better, deprecated sensor line, almost never any way to test 8+ sizes, almost never on sale), Steelseries (deprecated sensors, proprietary switches, pretty much their entire product line sans the 300 and 700 are obsolete), Dream Machines (mushy clicks, misaligned sensor, TERRIBLE cable, availability issues, misaligned sensor), Nixeus (mushy clicks, sensor is positioned lower than it should be), Mionix (Sweden-based so availability issues, expensive, not suited for FPS, and while I have no experience with them if their mice are anything like their Mionix Alioth I won't be bothering), Finalmouse (QC issues, they discontinued their prior mice for the Scream One which has a) can't press side buttons while pressing m1/2 and b) has terrible support), Rapoo (huge lift off distance, deprecated sensors) and Fnatic (even the Fnatic team does not use their gear. deprecated sensors, weird shapes).

That's why people keep buying Logitech. Best sensors on the market, tons of variety, easily available, no esports nonsense plastered all over them, all lighting can be turned off, discounted often, good value for money, willing to improve current product lines, excellent scroll wheels and clicks.
Currently happy with my Corsair mouse, is there a reason I shouldn't be?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They're fine I really hate the shape and design of them tho.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm sending my g900 back because its just not very comfortable to hold. guess after using right handed mice for a while i find anything else weird

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I don't think the 3310 is an outdated sensor at all.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Megalixir posted:

Because the only other options are Razer (QC issues over 5+ years, nobody over the age of 20 should be buying these), Roccat (heavy, expensive) Zowie (difficult to find, pre-BenQ were better, deprecated sensor line, almost never any way to test 8+ sizes, almost never on sale), Steelseries (deprecated sensors, proprietary switches, pretty much their entire product line sans the 300 and 700 are obsolete), Dream Machines (mushy clicks, misaligned sensor, TERRIBLE cable, availability issues, misaligned sensor), Nixeus (mushy clicks, sensor is positioned lower than it should be), Mionix (Sweden-based so availability issues, expensive, not suited for FPS, and while I have no experience with them if their mice are anything like their Mionix Alioth I won't be bothering), Finalmouse (QC issues, they discontinued their prior mice for the Scream One which has a) can't press side buttons while pressing m1/2 and b) has terrible support), Rapoo (huge lift off distance, deprecated sensors) and Fnatic (even the Fnatic team does not use their gear. deprecated sensors, weird shapes).

That's why people keep buying Logitech. Best sensors on the market, tons of variety, easily available, no esports nonsense plastered all over them, all lighting can be turned off, discounted often, good value for money, willing to improve current product lines, excellent scroll wheels and clicks.

Lol Logi has had QC issues forever, even their headsets continue to use lovely plastic joints that break all the time and don't have spare parts you can buy anywhere (it was bad enough for the G930 that people custom molded the part to sell for a bit). The only mitigating factor is Logis warranty service reputation in the US, which isnt match literally anywhere else in the world

Also I highly doubt 99% of the market for gaming mice notice whatever it is that makes sensors 'deprecated' and are simply buying new mice because the switches on their last one gave out or they just wanted the next shiny thing

Seriously, I've had a slew of mice (old intellimouse, copperhead, krait, new intellimouse, deathadder v1, g5, newer g5, g500, rival, deathadder chroma, ec-1a) and I honestly cannot tell any difference between sensor properties (of course, besides the g5's laser having a reputation as bad for fps, the rest have been pretty popular, but that doesn't negate how throughout the long time span performance has been otherwise consistent) (I've been playing cs, cod and battlefield since 2002, and am ge in csgo)

By far and away the only reason I've switched mice when the current wasn't broken was because I hated the click, weight, surface coating or shape, all of which hardly make great technological leaps. In fact it seems those properties are just the result of manufacturers rolling the dice on what their next model should use

A rival with the weight and feet of the ec-1a and the switches of a deathadder would be my dream mouse and I couldn't give less of a gently caress which sensor it used

e: oh yeah I dropped the rival because of the lovely rubber material wearing out problem, replace that with the hard-rubber coating of the g5 and it would be a mouse worthy of the baby jesus

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 2, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I would be surprised if you couldn't, considering you can do that with the G900. But why wouldn't you just get a wired G403 if you were going to take the battery out?

No, but I'm trying to work myself up into buying the wireless one because I missed the deal on the wired one. Unlike the wired one, the wireless one is still holding its $20 discount, which puts it at just $10 more than the wired one on Amazon.

Of course I'm a fool, and didn't rub two neurons together until it was too late. If my problem with the G502 is the weight, what was I planning on gaining by buying the wireless one, with its battery weight and so forth. Hence the question about wireless-but-plugged-in.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 2, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Well, even with the wireless version it's still 107g vs the G502's 121g, which is a pretty sizable difference. But certainly far from the 87g of the wired one. I couldn't find anyone who's tried to take the battery out of the 403 yet so maybe Goo can comment on the subject.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Lol Logi has had QC issues forever

I have come to accept planned obsolescence as part of the post industrial society we live in. I just don't want to give my money to a company that takes the term so literally, like Razer.

(4 loving deathadders in 5 years!)

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Megalixir posted:

so roccat mice are a good alternative?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Agrajag posted:

so roccat mice are a good alternative?

FWIW, the two Roccat mice I've had have both broken in various ways within 2 years. I really liked them otherwise (hence trying a second one after the first broke way sooner than it should have) but, anecdotally at least, it's tough to really recommend them.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Lol Logi has had QC issues forever, even their headsets continue to use lovely plastic joints that break all the time and don't have spare parts you can buy anywhere (it was bad enough for the G930 that people custom molded the part to sell for a bit). The only mitigating factor is Logis warranty service reputation in the US, which isnt match literally anywhere else in the world

Also I highly doubt 99% of the market for gaming mice notice whatever it is that makes sensors 'deprecated' and are simply buying new mice because the switches on their last one gave out or they just wanted the next shiny thing

Seriously, I've had a slew of mice (old intellimouse, copperhead, krait, new intellimouse, deathadder v1, g5, newer g5, g500, rival, deathadder chroma, ec-1a) and I honestly cannot tell any difference between sensor properties (of course, besides the g5's laser having a reputation as bad for fps, the rest have been pretty popular, but that doesn't negate how throughout the long time span performance has been otherwise consistent) (I've been playing cs, cod and battlefield since 2002, and am ge in csgo)

By far and away the only reason I've switched mice when the current wasn't broken was because I hated the click, weight, surface coating or shape, all of which hardly make great technological leaps. In fact it seems those properties are just the result of manufacturers rolling the dice on what their next model should use

A rival with the weight and feet of the ec-1a and the switches of a deathadder would be my dream mouse and I couldn't give less of a gently caress which sensor it used

e: oh yeah I dropped the rival because of the lovely rubber material wearing out problem, replace that with the hard-rubber coating of the g5 and it would be a mouse worthy of the baby jesus

All mice I've used so far have been serviceable except for Razer stuff which constantly breaks down, so it's ultimately just personal preference but I've never had any issue with Logitech and no, I do not live in the US.

Rival 300 is the only one I've opened, used and gone "no, this is an absolute piece of poo poo with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, I could never recommend nor enjoy using this". Maybe their older stuff is better, but their reluctance to update their product line puts me off. Plus the QcK Heavy feels like poo poo.

I'm not some sort of esports pro (my era has ended, back in my day we had a WMO, Allsop mousepad, CS1.5 and CRT and things were a lot easier) but I do notice things like the DPI of a Logitech mice being higher than that of the DPI of a Zowie mouse doing manual tests, the DM1 Pro S feeling different at the same DPI and sensitivity as the Finalmouse Scream One, etc.

I recently received the G403, G Pro and revision of the G303. I will need more time with them, but the G Pro right click is incredibly sensitive, so I think there is some learning curve here. I also cannot aim with it, and am accidentally clicking the right click. I seem to be able to aim perfectly fine with the G403 though, so I ask, what DPI and sensitivity should I be using if my normal DPI and sensitivity feel too fast on a lighter mouse? Just get used to it? The G Pro is supposedly 85g compared to the G303 87g, but it feels more like 70g. Despite thinking I would instantly go for the G Pro since I like the G303, I am actually really enjoying the G403, which is like a solution for people that want something between the EC1A, EC2A and the Deathadder.

Also it could just be me, but it feels like the newer G303 clicks feel different. Maybe just because it happens to be brand new, though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's interesting because I've never noticed a difference in tracking or smoothness with any mouse including pro gamer ones. All those seem to do is allow you to move the mouse more and have the cursor move less (high dpi). I dunno, I completely fail to see any point.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
You just had an anti-logitech hot take on how a microsoft office-usage mouse with forced angle snapping that's capped at 125Hz polling is "the perfect mouse", so rest assured that no one here is looking to you for your keen observational sense.

Megalixir posted:

Also it could just be me, but it feels like the newer G303 clicks feel different. Maybe just because it happens to be brand new, though.
The general consensus from the recent Logitech buying spree online is that the tension and quality between their new line's button is inconsistent. I'm sure they're all using Omron, but maybe lots that significantly vary? I saw an image recently in overclock where someone supposedly cracked his open to cable mod and found a 5mil switch instead of the purposed 20mil model, so there could be tomfoolery afoot.

I got the G Pro a few days ago, also with an obnoxiously sensitive RMB like so many are reporting. It's really irritating. It takes hardly more tension to activate than my well worn G303, but it's like across the subtle threshold that turns it from occasionally incidental to far too frequent. Other than that, I like it. You're right about the weight, it definitely feels floaty in comparison despite the fact it should be <10g in weight difference, but they both suit my fingertip grip nicely.

The RMB issue is annoying but the rest of it is tight and responsive (besides the lackluster feet design). I'm tempted to not return it and do a Guntape grip mod to the sides, just because of oh how immensely that increased enjoyment and comfort of my G303. Ultimately, it's not going to get any cheaper than it does on Black Friday sales, so hey.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 4, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So from what I understand, you guys think the pretensioning spring feature is bullshit.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

No, I wouldn't say that. The recent Logitech series' set the pace of having some of the all-time greatest LMB clicks that's been upheld since in the models that came afterward, and there's no excessive travel, click delay or weird debounce on M1 or M2 at all. It just feels like the tension between LMB/RMB in the newest models has a tendency to be different in a large proportion of units when they should be functionally identical.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 4, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Speaking as one of those degenerates who has played Dota for over a third of their life... If that many people are complaining about it, I think that the super-sensitive right-click *is* the intended behaviour.

Put another way: If Starcraft APM is largely switching between control groups and mashing production commands, then ARTS APM is mostly right-clicks.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

That's not a terrible theory, but there have already been a bunch of mouse forum obsessives who like the mouse but have OCD about getting a "perfect" model so they've gone through upwards of 4+ G Pros before they got one they they would qualify as having "perfect" clicks and then meticulously recording their lot S/N to compare with fellow nuts.

It's likely not intended because with how much weight the RMB needs to bear from most conventional grip style (especially during lift off/touchdown), it's not some kind of backdoor RTS feature that comes at the expense of much more common traditional usage. I mean, it's more than possible to jitterclick mouse buttons that have a relaxed tension but firmer activation threshold.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
I just returned the Logitech MX Master I got and bought a new Performance MX instead. The SmartScroll was a cool feature, but the mouse as a whole simply wasn't comfortable to use. The horizontal scroll wheel was too prominently placed for how often I would actually use it, and the side buttons were more of an afterthought than anything. The new model went for sharp design instead of smooth comfort, and it wasn't a good move.

Still a huge Logitech fan, though. I can use multiple devices with a single dongle, and easily move them between desktop and laptop or home and work. I've really never had an issue with quality until i hit the 2+ year mark with a device.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
My G Pro definitely has a super light right click, but this time I have been saved by the curse of being left handed. I have the left and right mouse buttons swapped so my index finger is on the right mouse button. Its way easier to avoid accidental clicking. Righties got hosed this time though.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Liking my G pro so far, like the lightness and it feels sturdy. I also have a light right mouse click but I haven't had time to play around with it. So far not that bad tbh. Works fine with claw grip.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I debraided my old G303. It was actually pretty fun. First time doing anything like this.

So, it's not a professional job or anything like that, but this one in particular was fraying so I thought I'd give it a try. Was it worth it? Not really. I mean if it's fraying or noticeable to you I would say so, I can notice a difference when picking up and repositioning the mouse. It also eliminates the need for a mouse bungee but, Logitech cables are so thick that most of them won't even fit into bungees, and I was never a huge fan of how they created tension.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I debraided my G303 recently. That's why I was specifically slamming the thickness of the G403's cable (the second biggest reason I took it back to bestbuy). It somehow managed to feel thicker, stiffer and more oppressive to movement than their other modern models. The G Pro's braiding doesn't feel as cumbersome, so it's not even something I'd consider a foremost flaw. But man, that G403 felt stifled by the cord every time I used it. I'm certainly interested in trying the wireless version if I ever get the chance, as 108g isn't a bad weight at all.

It's a pretty easy process if you have fine-point tweezers or an X-acto knife and some sharp scissors. You just have to be patient and calm all the way down.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 5, 2016

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Nixeus Revel just appeared on Massdrop https://www.massdrop.com/buy/28522

Ordered, curious to see how it compares to the DM1 Pro S, which I dislike because of the mushy clicks and thick cable. Good price anyway.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
So my Logitech G400 started disconnecting and reconnecting for no reason. USB disconnect sound, mouse becomes unresponsive for a second, then works again. Very annoying as it happens like once per minute when playing BF4.

What should I get to replace it? From what I've gathered, Razor's software (cloud based drivers :lol:) sucks and Steelseries Rival rubber sides fall apart in months. Other options available might be Corsair, Roccat, Asus, Coolermaster, Zowie and something called EpicGear, besides Logitech obviously and cheapo brands.

For what it's worth I have largish hands, don't need many buttons, mostly play FPS these days. Cost isn't that important, I just want a good product.

edit: Actually settled on Zowie EC2-A. It's a little small, and the scroll wheel is mushy (and glows), but all in all it's okay. It's definitely very accurate, and glides well on the pad. Thought I'd miss a heavier mouse but I don't. Also tried Razor Deathadder Chroma, but the design didn't feel as good, and Logitech G502, but that design was too far out (buttony) for me.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 7, 2016

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I finally settled on the G502 (but will be testing the G303 soon for the hell of it) and I'm really loving it. It's a little more narrow than my G400 but the overall shape feels the same. It's much heavier than other mice but I've gotten used to it now. I tried a G403 but it was too big for my tiny baby hands.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

What's a good replacement for this guy?

Anker 8200 DPI mouse, which is no longer made.

The G502 was too narrow and gave me cramps.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

pigdog posted:

So my Logitech G400 started disconnecting and reconnecting for no reason. USB disconnect sound, mouse becomes unresponsive for a second, then works again. Very annoying as it happens like once per minute when playing BF4.

What should I get to replace it? From what I've gathered, Razor's software (cloud based drivers :lol:) sucks and Steelseries Rival rubber sides fall apart in months. Other options available might be Corsair, Roccat, Asus, Coolermaster, Zowie and something called EpicGear, besides Logitech obviously and cheapo brands.

For what it's worth I have largish hands, don't need many buttons, mostly play FPS these days. Cost isn't that important, I just want a good product.

Zowie FK1+?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

RBX posted:

Zowie FK1+?
Tried it, but ultimately settled for the right-handed EC2-A. Wasn't sure if I like an ambidextrous mouse that also has side buttons on the right.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

G900 and G403 are great for large hands too. EC1-A is slightly bigger than the 2. And the new Deathadder elite.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
What's the turnaround on a Logitech response ticket? I submitted on the 1st and still no response.

Want to know if I should just close the ticket and send the mouse back to Newegg or if there's a chance they'll swap out my 403 for one with a good mouse wheel.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Mionix Naos is fantastic for palm grip/big hands.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Audax posted:

What's the turnaround on a Logitech response ticket? I submitted on the 1st and still no response.

Want to know if I should just close the ticket and send the mouse back to Newegg or if there's a chance they'll swap out my 403 for one with a good mouse wheel.
Logitech support is garbage now. Even if you get a response, it may not be a useful one. Sounds like a straightforward replacement, though.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
My g502 spectrum has become unusable due to wheel scrolling going from unresponsive to having a mind of its own. Been looking around and the lower post pretty much sums up what I've read so far.

quote:

Just got my 3rd (second warranty replacement) today and all of them have this issue.

Even more troubling, eventually the notches on the inside of the wheel wear down while in notched/locked mode and you'll get increasing scroll jitter where a page will scroll up and back down on its own or sometimes wont register a scroll at all.

The first two mice lasted me about 3 months each before the jitter became too much of an annoyance to use.

I've had mine for about six months, but doubt I would be able to find a receipt and I bought it half off at office max. The logitech forums has people screaming about hearing nothing back for at least two weeks, so doesn't look like a good route.

I do have a cat and it's possible other crud would get into every crevice. I've done everything compressed air related without any changes. Anyone know if I'd be able to fix it by opening it up?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

betterinsodapop posted:

Mionix Naos is fantastic for palm grip/big hands.

I like it. I wish it had more buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Audax posted:

My turnaround was a couple of days back in September for a reply. A week to get a tracking number for a replacement after submitting my ticket.