Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Joementum posted:

I think the party should talk more about long-term goals, less about what they think is realistic to get passed in the next Congress.

i think you're exactly right. both parties should, really, but that's only because i think most people would poo poo themselves if the gop started talking about what they thought the country ought to look like in 20 years. but hillary definitely did herself a disservice by refusing to take on bold, ambitious policies or articulate a clear vision for what the country ought to look like down the road rather than in her first term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Has any plane kidnapping ever had a bomb on board? The kidnappers always bullshit about that but I don't remember a case where they actually had one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTA_Flight_772

Though I doubt they actually intended to "kidnap" the plane. But Pre 9/11 plane hijacking's etc weren't exactly common in the US. Maybe one every few years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_hijackings

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do Democrats actually have a vision for what they want America to look like in 20 years? "Better, I guess?"

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Guy Goodbody posted:

Do Democrats actually have a vision for what they want America to look like in 20 years? "Better, I guess?"

it's the democratic party so we're still focus group testing our vision

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a dream, that my children will grow up in a world where all racial, religious, sexual, and gender minorities are equally represented in the richest 1%

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Irony.or.Death posted:

this only works if you also murder all their heirs or abolish the intergenerational transfer of wealth

which would also be good ideas obviously, just saying it's slightly more work than murdering the 100

A 100% death tax on assets over 10 million dollars would be good imo.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Guy Goodbody posted:

I have a dream, that my children will grow up in a world where all racial, religious, sexual, and gender minorities are equally represented in the richest 1%

that would be good though

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
look all this fantasizing is cool but we are never retaking society from the rich with anything but blood

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
if u 1% i hate u

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pomp posted:

look all this fantasizing is cool but we are never retaking society from the rich with anything but blood

It would also help if we stopped trying to come up with ways to entice industries to invest in communities or convert into more modern production. Nationalize them and do it ourselves.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LinYutang posted:

this, the GOP had fully Zero short term goals except Block The Democrats and they've been repeatedly rewarded for it

Yeah, but they didn't have any longterm goals either. And they had a lot more short term goals - voter suppression, gently caress things up on a state level, etc.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Guy Goodbody posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H51HuNX41Fg

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Concerned Citizen posted:

that would be good though

lmao

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

trump is a guy with no self-control surrounded by insane, hard-right foreign policy hawks on his cabinet. i wouldn't be so optimistic.

Yeah the Guardian suggested the Taiwan call was pushed by China hardliners in Donny Tum Tum's transition team. One of them is a vocal critic of the Obama administration refusing to recognize Taiwan, another called Taiwan one of America's most vulnerable allies and wants to sell them more weapons.

That ended whatever hope I had for a peaceful tenure. It's either going to be Trump flipping his lid, or some Jafar hypnotizing him.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

anime was right posted:

gently caress it, just use coal county as an experiment on universal basic income.

Please stop, I can only get so erect

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
how will people who don't work for a living force the liberal elites to continue to pay for universal income, what happens when the people who own everything say "hm, no more of this"

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Alaska already has UBI, they just don't call it that. So now all West Virginia needs to do is find massive deposits of oil and drill baby drill!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

lmao they actually open with some insufferable millenials having mimosas. Its a perfect parody out of how out of touch everybody even remotely involved in that production is, except its not a parody and they thought the joke was something else.

Joementum posted:

I think this is exactly the kind of wonking itself to death the party should avoid. Maybe people don't like "free college" as a proposal, but they certainly aren't going to like "free in-state college with a means testing cap and a work requirement". Maybe these are the policies you end up with, but it shouldn't be where you start.

Incremental pragmatism is all well and good, but reserve that poo poo for the when you're fighting in Congress. You need big goals that you can sell to capture the imagination of the people. People will forgive, to an extent, falling short of a lofty ideal; voters gave Obama a second term after the clusterfuck of the ACA. Thinking small may be how you get things done eventually, but thinking big is how you get to the point where you can even make the attempt.

Weirdly, people laughed at that and called that style of thinking childishly naive.

Joementum posted:

I think the party should talk more about long-term goals, less about what they think is realistic to get passed in the next Congress.

Realism is for nerds. Nerds don't win elections.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

HorseRenoir posted:

Alaska already has UBI, they just don't call it that. So now all West Virginia needs to do is find massive deposits of oil and drill baby drill!

yeah but it's only like $2k/y and it's actually been a disaster for alaska, they've essentially pissed away a mountain of money

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Not a Step posted:

lmao they actually open with some insufferable millenials having mimosas. Its a perfect parody out of how out of touch everybody even remotely involved in that production is, except its not a parody and they thought the joke was something else.

it is a parody

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

logikv9 posted:

It's hard to keep a delicate balance because probations targeting one side in particular will turn the thread into a circlejerk for the other, so instead I don't probate unless you're expressly breaking a rule or melting down.

One of those "sides" is objectively wrong (the side that lost to Donald Trump)

GlyphGryph posted:

I skipped a couple of pages. I couldnt read anymore. Some of you people actually, legitmately disgust me, to the point where if I did not genuinely believe the party could be saved from you and people like you, I would despair.

Fulchrum and ConcernedCitize especially, you lack even the most basic understanding or empathy, you are so ready to simply abandon people to terrible fates, to have their pride stripped away with no recourse because the alternative would require competence and courage and that is simply too much to expect from any politician. Worse, you lie. Constantly, in small ways, you conflate and evade and say things that are technically true to communicate concepts that are most certainly not. You seem to live in a world where real progress and a better future for all or even most of us is impossible, and people owe you your victory even against their own best interest, and if they arent willing to pay you are left hoping they die off.

You act as if have a problem with words, fundamentally. As if you dont understand how people actually communicate. I dont think thats true anymore - I think its intentional. This focus on post truth politics by so many is a red herring - in reality, it is anger that people are ignoring your simple facts and actually understanding the underlying message you do not want to communicate.

Look how quickly the facade falls away, how quickly you go from arguing Hillary was really genuinely saying she would help these people to admitting that we must realize these people cannot truly be helped - and wow much it mirrored Fulchrums 2 page descent from arguing he just wanted reasonable gun control to admitting he didnt think anyone should have guns.

Your primary takeaway from this failed election for you seems to be a stubborn hatred for those who ignore what you say in favour of what you mean.

Well, that and the obvious frustration that the rest of us are realizing how much worse you are than the people you think so little of.

And I know this little rant, and I admit it is just a rant, is pointless. You arent going to reflect or reconsider. If you even read it, its going to be in attempt to find something you can pick apart, some superficial detail that will let you focus on the words while ignoring the message.

So let me write it out, as clear as I can: You make me ashamed to call myself a Democrat. Do your part to save the party by disappearing into the wilderness for the next four years. If all you have to offer is opposition instead of alternatives, you dont have anything to offer at all, so gently caress off.

And yes, I would like fries with that, thank you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:yeah:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

yeah but it's only like $2k/y and it's actually been a disaster for alaska, they've essentially pissed away a mountain of money

How has it been a "disaster ".

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Crowsbeak posted:

How has it been a "disaster ".

because rather than invest in developing the state and building the funds for a permanent cradle-to-grave welfare society, they spent it on imported televisions

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

because rather than invest in developing the state and building the funds for a permanent cradle-to-grave welfare society, they spent it on imported televisions

That's like saying spending my Friday night was a disaster because I wasn't working on one of my projects. :v:

Hyperbole will only push people away.

Opportunity cost.

Opportuuuuuuunity cost.

Opportunity cost!!!!

Orporturnity Corst

NumberLast has issued a correction as of 19:56 on Dec 4, 2016

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

logikv9 posted:

It's hard to keep a delicate balance because probations targeting one side in particular will turn the thread into a circlejerk for the other, so instead I don't probate unless you're expressly breaking a rule or melting down.

Why don't you just probate fuckos, and then if people jack off over it, probate them?

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, but they didn't have any longterm goals either. And they had a lot more short term goals - voter suppression, gently caress things up on a state level, etc.

Nah, their long term goals were social conservatism such as repealing Roe v Wade and making gay people illegal again and oh hey, they are in position to do that now

I will literally never not laugh at people making corny, enthusiastic endorsements for Hillary Clinton. Especially so in this case, as Lena Dunham is a garbage person.

Hail Mr. Satan! has issued a correction as of 19:59 on Dec 4, 2016

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

NumberLast posted:

That's like saying spending my Friday night was a disaster because I wasn't working on one of my projects. :v:

Opportunity cost.

Opportuuuuuuunity cost.

Opportunity cost!!!!

Orporturnity Corst

yeah i mean opportunity cost matters given that alaska's failure to invest its money will eventually not only end the dividend but leave the state penniless and an economic disaster

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
shoulda bought real estate that isnt frozen, alaska. so dumb

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

NumberLast posted:

Opportunity cost.

Opportuuuuuuunity cost.

Opportunity cost!!!!

Orporturnity Corst

it's not really 'opportunity cost' so much as it's 'this program was never intended to be an actual social welfare program and was never run like one, so using it as an example of one is kinda misleading'.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Tatum Girlparts posted:

it's not really 'opportunity cost' so much as it's 'this program was never intended to be an actual social welfare program and was never run like one, so using it as an example of one is kinda misleading'.

it was literally designed by right-wingers to prevent alaska from becoming a welfare state. alaska could have used their money to develop currently untapped natural gas resources and develop industries that don't rely entirely on fossil fuels. by now, it'd have a sovereign wealth fund comparable to norway's per capita. instead, it cut state taxes to 0 and gave away tiny amounts of money to all its residents while expressing confidence that the free market would make investments that it ultimately never did. if you're a right-winger, you love that. if you at all believe that government is a good thing, it's a disaster for alaska.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Nah, their long term goals were social conservatism such as repealing Roe v Wade and making gay people illegal again and oh hey, they are in position to do that now

THey were doing that in the short term too, anywhere they could get away with it. That isn't a long term goal, its just doing their short term goal again when they get more power.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
So quick question to all our resident leftists and communists. Whats your take on churches as bases for community organizing? They are big in the black community and in rural area's but I know religion is a touchy subject for the left.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Venom Snake posted:

So quick question to all our resident leftists and communists. Whats your take on churches as bases for community organizing? They are big in the black community and in rural area's but I know religion is a touchy subject for the left.

speaking as somebody who vehemently rejected christianity when i was 9, the objection most people have to it is the fact that churches are typically associated with the right-wing. if a church promotes left-wing ideals and policies, then i have no problem with it, but i'd expect others to be skittish of them given how lovely certain segments of christianity have been towards minorities. YMMV.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

basically, we've been burned before.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Venom Snake posted:

Churches can be really good bases for community organizing. In Austin, the Austin Justice Coalition's first post-election meeting was held in a Unitarian church. Anything that is pre-existing as a tightly-knit community can be fruitful for organizing and helpful for meeting spaces.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

Acknowledging the existence of religion is not true leftist and true leftism cannot fail, so we must not fail it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

Most churches (at least down here) are opposed to leftist ideals, which is kinda mind-blowing but whatever. So they're pretty much gonna be biased against leftists. But if you have some that are open to it, then I say go for it. It's pretty important that leftists not reject religion, though, as it is a cornerstone of American society.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Venom Snake posted:

I am extremely ambivalent, as in American history (and elsewhere, but we're talking about the US here) some churches and church groups have played powerful roles in promoting social reforms while others have been equally active (though not as successful) attempting to retard them. Plus a lot of them come with baked-in limits and biases that make it complicated, at best, to promote the idea that we're all equally in this together.

plus there's no god deal with it.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Fulchrum posted:

THey were doing that in the short term too, anywhere they could get away with it. That isn't a long term goal, its just doing their short term goal again when they get more power.

It's almost as though a long term goal is made up of many short term goals reached

zegermans posted:

Acknowledging the existence of religion is not true leftist and true leftism cannot fail, so we must not fail it.

This is so loving salty.

I'm fine with using churches for no other reason than churches have been endorsing right-wing candidates despite not paying taxes forever. That being said, I think in a lot of areas you'd be hard pressed to find one willing to host any type of liberals.

Hail Mr. Satan! has issued a correction as of 21:46 on Dec 4, 2016

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

It's almost as though a long term goal is made up of many short term goals reached

except Joementum claimed that we needed less short term goals and more long term goals

This is so loving salty.

I'm fine with using churches for no other reason than churches have been endorsing right-wing candidates despite not paying taxes forever. That being said, I think in a lot of areas you'd be hard pressed to find one willing to host any type of liberals.

Maybe it would help if you didn't open with "gods not real and everything you think is a lie".

Start with meetings geared towards broadly agreeable points that don't clash with dogma and are antithetical to conservatism, like feeding the hungry and giving medicine to the sick, and build from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Concordat posted:

The fee is for conducting a background check - supposedly. People with security clearances get TSA pre-checks for free I think? Maybe military too?

They just give it to uniformed military because they got bad PR from people taking pictures of soldiers getting patted down. If they're out of uniform they don't get it automatically.

Thoguh has issued a correction as of 22:38 on Dec 4, 2016

• Locked thread