Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

bows1 posted:

Best 3D movies? I liked Hugo and Avatar.

The Adventures of Tin Tin is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Great Gatsby used it pretty well, and I thought Prometheus also really stood out for good 3-D photography (and managing to be dimly lit without being too dark to see clearly.)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

All of the Laika movies have terrific 3d. It really added to the experience in Coraline.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

This is my 4000th obligatory Coraline post, still the best use of modern 3D almost a decade later.

Enos Cabell posted:

All of the Laika movies have terrific 3d. It really added to the experience in Coraline.

edit: lol drat scooped for not f5ing

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

This is my 4000th obligatory Coraline post, still the best use of modern 3D almost a decade later.

edit: lol drat scooped for not f5ing

:hfive: Coraline is the one movie that really makes me want to buy a 3dtv.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Say what you will about 3d in post, but Jurassic Park is the best 3d movie I've seen and I've seen most of them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

regulargonzalez posted:

Say what you will about 3d in post, but Jurassic Park is the best 3d movie I've seen and I've seen most of them.

It's still an absolute travesty that the utterly gorgeous new transfer of the film that was done for the 3D Blu-ray release is only available on that 3D Blu-ray. C'mon, Universal, you fuckers, put that onto a normal Blu-ray for the rest of us.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Timby posted:

It's still an absolute travesty that the utterly gorgeous new transfer of the film that was done for the 3D Blu-ray release is only available on that 3D Blu-ray. C'mon, Universal, you fuckers, put that onto a normal Blu-ray for the rest of us.

Out of curiosity, is it possible to

1) play a 3d Blu ray disc in a regular Blu ray player?
2) choose not to have a 3d Blu ray disc play back in 3d?

I honestly have no idea.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Out of curiosity, is it possible to

1) play a 3d Blu ray disc in a regular Blu ray player?
2) choose not to have a 3d Blu ray disc play back in 3d?

I honestly have no idea.

Yes on 2, no on 1. You also need a TV that does 3D.

I appreciate the attempt to finally make 3D work in a home format but it's a little too costly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's also just not that awesome outside of huge cinema sized screens. I dig that my TV has it, but I can't see me using it that often. I think the ability to play 2 player games and using offset glasses so you only see your own player is a more interesting use of the tech, but I'm hardly a gamer.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ive never seen fast and furious do i just start from movei 1 and jump in

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Empress Brosephine posted:

ive never seen fast and furious do i just start from movei 1 and jump in

You have to at least see 1 to get the lay of the land but 2-4 are up to you depending on how much you want to understand all the back story and relationships before 5. Originally I only saw 1-2 in theatres and then when I got back into the series with 5 I didn't feel like I had really missed out (but I did end up seeking out 3 & 4 eventually).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
the proper viewing order is 3 1 2 5 7 6 4 you really get an appreciation for the thematic density that way

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Don't post my phone number dick

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
klondike 5: too fa5t too furiou5

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thank you for this fast lesson

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I thought the 3D in Resident Evil Afterlife was pretty cool at times. Jackass 3D and Avatar were awesome in the theater though!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I wish theaters would set up kind of a repertory for 3-D flicks. Home 3D viewing is still way costly and has several drawbacks, so it'd be good to be able to catch stuff I missed like Cave of Forgotten Dreams or Jackass 3-D as they were meant to be seen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

With 4K passive 3D, the only drawback to home 3D is the screen size now at least. And the fact the films rarely seem to go on sale. I don't think they suffer from the darkening that you get in the theater either, which is good.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

EL BROMANCE posted:

With 4K passive 3D, the only drawback to home 3D is the screen size now at least. And the fact the films rarely seem to go on sale. I don't think they suffer from the darkening that you get in the theater either, which is good.

I have an active 3D Tv that's 60" and it looks good. But I've only watched two and never thought of it again.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

This is probably a dumb question.

If I have never seen the Star Wars movies, what order should I watch the series in? By release date or sequentially?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

If I have never seen the Star Wars movies, what order should I watch the series in? By release date or sequentially?

THX-1138
American Graffiti
Star Wars '77
The Empire Strikes Back
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

This way, you see six movies, but you end up seeing six great movies.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
wrong thread

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 12, 2016

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

QuoProQuid posted:

Release date. My reasons:

1) that's how they were made
2) so that Vader and lightsabers and Yoda and the Force can actually be cool for at least a little while
3) so you understand that Ewan McGregor is doing a biopic-esque impression of someone the entire time and not just acting like that for the sake of it
4) it's great to have an opportunity to see an original work and then see other things that were based off of it, rather than the other way around

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Release date times a million.

But even better, release date but skip the prequels.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Watch 4-6, 7 if you want skip all the prequels ignore anyone who says otherwise.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I wish theaters would set up kind of a repertory for 3-D flicks. Home 3D viewing is still way costly and has several drawbacks, so it'd be good to be able to catch stuff I missed like Cave of Forgotten Dreams or Jackass 3-D as they were meant to be seen.
Agreed. A local theater did a midnight showing of Mad Max in 3D and another the entire Harry Potter series after their runs were over, but it's be nice to have this be a more widespread practice. There has to be a potential business model for watching 3D movies not currently in theater, like a business where you offer people use of really nice home theater setup by the hour.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

QuoProQuid posted:

There is no reason to see the prequels. Watch the original trilogy and if you want more Star Wars watch the one that came out last year and watch the one that comes out next week.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Dont forget the xmas special.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

got any sevens posted:

Dont forget the xmas special.

I thought we'd all made a mutual pack to forget that.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

She didn't grow up watching Star Wars tapes on loop, she probably won't understand why you all hate the prequels. Watch them in release order, and if you really end up liking them then rewatch the original 3 to recontextualize.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I make a point of getting drunk at the office Christmas party and then shuffling back to my cube to watch as much of that special as I can manage. I usually get one or two commercial breaks in and then skip to the cartoon before turning it off.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

She didn't grow up watching Star Wars tapes on loop, she probably won't understand why you all hate the prequels. Watch them in release order, and if you really end up liking them then rewatch the original 3 to recontextualize.

They just aren't good movies, though. Like, disregarding that they are bad star wars movies and "ruin star wars", they also aren't good movies and aren't enjoyable to watch. I'm not going to ever recommend that anyone watch them. Just like I'm not gonna recommend that anyone should watch Trancers 6. Like if someone said "Snak, I've never seen Trancers, which ones should I watch?" I'd say "Watch the first 5. The star of the franchise said that 4 and 5 should be burned, but watch them anyway for the experience. Don't watch 6."

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

THX-1138
American Graffiti
Star Wars '77
The Empire Strikes Back
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

This way, you see six movies, but you end up seeing six great movies.

You missed the ones with Jonathan Ke Quan and Warwick Davis

Heightist much?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

They just aren't good movies, though. Like, disregarding that they are bad star wars movies and "ruin star wars", they also aren't good movies and aren't enjoyable to watch. I'm not going to ever recommend that anyone watch them. Just like I'm not gonna recommend that anyone should watch Trancers 6. Like if someone said "Snak, I've never seen Trancers, which ones should I watch?" I'd say "Watch the first 5. The star of the franchise said that 4 and 5 should be burned, but watch them anyway for the experience. Don't watch 6."

There are rifftrax for all seven star wars, only 2 or 3 are worth watching without some bitter old guys making fun of them.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

syscall girl posted:

You missed the ones with Jonathan Ke Quan and Warwick Davis

Heightist much?

It's evened out.

George Lucas' first two movies, the first two Star Wars, and the odd numbered Indys

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Just watch em in release order & u can come to your own conclusions about the series like everyone else. Well, except younger ppl who might've only seen the new ones or none at all or only the newest one.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I support the 4,5,1,2,3,6,7 ordering. I have OCD about watching every episode of things and this way the story makes the most sense, all the twists are maintained, and if you are marathonning them while drinking you'll hit peak drunkenness during the worst of the movies and wake up in the good ones again.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
6 should go between 5 and 1, no? Unless you really hate Return of the Jedi that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
No.

Watch in release order. For any and every movie/book/tv series.