Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Burkion posted:

What would be funnier

That's who would win
Even Vegeta figured that out.

Jedah posted:

It's interesting to me when I read these criticisms, because I'll always prefer watching the show in Japanese. I'm glad the English dub is popular and that people think the voice actors did a good job, but I grew up with Granny Goku. For me, she's the best, and I thought she did a great job with Goku Black's voice, too.
Also this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nozawa fits into Dragonball 100% perfectly. She's not a great voice actress by any stretch but she is Goku.

I usually despise dubs of all sorts, but I'm pretty ok with the Dragonball one overall, but it's not something I'd ever choose to listen to given an option.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Nozawa isn't great but she sure as hell gets "innocently naive manchild who happens to be a combat god" across better than Schemmel.

What I've gathered from a few things I read is that Schemmel came into the role with the idea in his head that Goku is a superhero. Which, at the time he got the role (Ginyu Force battle), was exactly what Goku was. Swooped in out of nowhere to save the day, protector of the innocent, all that stuff.

Of course, after the Frieza Saga, Goku's superhero mode got to take a backseat for a while, and his goofy side emerged again. Schemmel still seems to mostly see Goku as a superhero, though. I think he does fine with the goofier stuff, but him trying to do serious time Goku is a little like Bale throwing on his gravely Batman voice.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I mean, I mentioned it earlier, but it doesn't get any more perfect for the role than the actual mangaka picturing you when he draws the manga. There's genuinely no argument to be had for Grannyku not being the epitome of Goku and right for the job.

(The source for it's here: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/akira-toriyama-masako-nozawa-special-talk/)

Non-believers should bow down to our elderly overlord.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I mean, I mentioned it earlier, but it doesn't get any more perfect for the role than the actual mangaka picturing you when he draws the manga. There's genuinely no argument to be had for Grannyku not being the epitome of Goku and right for the job.

(The source for it's here: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/akira-toriyama-masako-nozawa-special-talk/)

Grandma Goku is awful, sorry.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's okay to make mistakes, right?
You're only human after all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

she's bad. like really bad. of course toriyama thinks of her voice for goku, she's been voicing him for decades. that doesn't make it good

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nozawa as Bardock is hilarious though.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't mind Granny Goku, but I don't particularly care for it either. It's the Abridged crew I hear and prefer for most every character at this point. I don't know any of their names, but they knock it out of the park regardless, and whoever does Goku does a good job both as a heroic figure and a goofy idiot. Often at the same time. I don't even know what his proper English VA sounds like off hand.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Andrast posted:

On the other hand

I too am deathly afraid of being turned gay by television

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I don't think the voice in his head would suddenly change when it's been the same for like 30 years.

Also, considering he wanted Goku to make a drastic change from kid to adult, it only makes sense that his voice would also mature.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tsob posted:

I don't mind Granny Goku, but I don't particularly care for it either. It's the Abridged crew I hear and prefer for most every character at this point. I don't know any of their names, but they knock it out of the park regardless, and whoever does Goku does a good job both as a heroic figure and a goofy idiot. Often at the same time. I don't even know what his proper English VA sounds like off hand.

They should have given the official Super dub contract to the DBZ Abridged crew. They are obviously set up for it, dubbing episodes like normal would be easier than what they already do. I also think they would do a better job with the lighter tone of Super.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I also think if you changed the way you framed the question, you would get a different response.

Tory has always struck me like Stan Lee, will tell you what he thinks you want to hear.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

that was a fun episode and I am so hype for next week.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think Granny Goku works better overall than any of the Western dub Gokus. We're just used to those voices, is all. Goku on our side of the globe is Superman almost, original Goku is child-like hick that just so happens to be incredibly powerful. Also, I don't think the VA does a bad job with him at all, I don't know why you're saying she's bad - you want bad, listen to her Gohan. Gohan is really meh,

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

After so long of Abridged, playing Xenoverse was a bit of a shock because I completely forgot what Ginyu, 16, 17, and Cooler all sounded like in the actual dub.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Why are there so many people who say they grew up watching the original Japanese Dragonball voice cast? Do all you guys live in Japan or what?

People talk about how they grew up watching Nozawa but for me and I'm sure a ton of people like me we grew up watching Schemmel and the rest of the dub cast, so for us, they are the characters. As far as we're concerned, they "suit the characters" better than a bunch of women that voiced the characters as kids and never got replaced.

I've gotten used to Granny Goku from watching Super subs though so it doesn't really faze me anymore.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I will also never understand this super hero thing.

He is a fighting manga character, he is a superhero, hick or not.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dias posted:

I think Granny Goku works better overall than any of the Western dub Gokus. We're just used to those voices, is all. Goku on our side of the globe is Superman almost, original Goku is child-like hick that just so happens to be incredibly powerful. Also, I don't think the VA does a bad job with him at all, I don't know why you're saying she's bad - you want bad, listen to her Gohan. Gohan is really meh,

it's the same tho

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It wasn't 30 years when he was drawing Dragonball, just FYI

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

i do not feel that adult goku or bardock are women. Japan does though

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Why are there so many people who say they grew up watching the original Japanese Dragonball voice cast? Do all you guys live in Japan or what?

People talk about how they grew up watching Nozawa but for me and I'm sure a ton of people like me we grew up watching Schemmel and the rest of the dub cast, so for us, they are the characters. As far as we're concerned, they "suit the characters" better than a bunch of women that voiced the characters as kids and never got replaced.

I've gotten used to Granny Goku from watching Super subs though so it doesn't really faze me anymore.

I tried but man granny Goku is so bad.

I like granny Goku black tho, she is so smug.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Funky Valentine posted:

After so long of Abridged, playing Xenoverse was a bit of a shock because I completely forgot what Ginyu, 16, 17, and Cooler all sounded like in the actual dub.

Ginyu had two different English voices. He is an effeminate British guy, or alternatively a gruff pro wrestler.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Neo_Crimson posted:

Also, there's people declaring DBS has more filler than Naruto because we've had a whole 3 episodes without a new arc starting.

The people saying that probably don't even watch the show. I've seen people(who don't watch Super) say that the Universe 6 vs 7 tournament arc was a filler.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's the same tho

I don't know what it is, but any voice of her's that isn't Goku (or Black obviously) just sounds really terrible. Maybe it's just that I have to get used to the characters all over again, but she does give a different feel whenever Gohan or Goten are around.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

No one actually knows what filler is, so it just now means stuff I don't like.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Actually, Mario Castaņeda is objectively the best Goku, and every other attempt is a sin.

Source: my childhood specifically

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Who said that here anyway? I mean, of course it's nostalgia speaking, I went and watched BoG/RoF in PT-BR because that's what I grew up with.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

No one actually knows what filler is, so it just now means stuff I don't like.

if it's stuff like the last episode or that time goku and piccolo learned to drive, I like filler

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I get why people will say there's filler, the stuff in between the main arcs with more standalone episodes, it's the same thing you'd expect from filler. The tournament definitely wasn't though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

i do not feel that adult goku or bardock are women. Japan does though

Did you just presume their gender???

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.
The correct voice for Goku is the one that you hear in your head when you read the original manga. Only dorks watch the anime

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My favorite thing about DBS filler is that by definition it's impossible for DBS to have filler.

Also, Arale-chan.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Jedah posted:

It's interesting to me when I read these criticisms, because I'll always prefer watching the show in Japanese. I'm glad the English dub is popular and that people think the voice actors did a good job, but I grew up with Granny Goku. For me, she's the best, and I thought she did a great job with Goku Black's voice, too.

Schemmel has gotten much better with his Goku, in a better fits his personality than Nozawa does. Nozawa's performance has always felt samey no matter the mood. Schemmel has a relaxed Goku voice for the lighter moments, and the tough voice for when fight's go down, which works better for Goku's "light-hearted fool who only really cares when fighting is happening" personality.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

People generally use filler to mean "episodes that have nothing to do with the main plot with low quality writing" regardless of whatever the term actually means. Technically DBS can't have filler, but there's definitely been some one-off stuff that wasn't great, like that three episode fake Vegeta thing. Even then, that arc was just bland and not offensively bad or anything.

On the other hand, that ep of where Piccolo let Goku pretend he was the real grandpa for a day was probably the best ep of the show.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kuroyama posted:

Schemmel has gotten much better with his Goku, in a better fits his personality than Nozawa does. Nozawa's performance has always felt samey no matter the mood. Schemmel has a relaxed Goku voice for the lighter moments, and the tough voice for when fight's go down, which works better for Goku's "light-hearted fool who only really cares when fighting is happening" personality.

Goku doesn't take fighting seriously though. That's his thing, it's hosed him over a bunch too. (Cell, stalling against Kid Buu to give Vegeta a crack, The laser beam in Return of F where he lets his guard down) He enjoys it, it's fun to him. It's getting more and more to the point even where it's how he introduces himself to people.

He only takes it seriously when things are totally hosed or the few circumstances when his loved ones die (Krillin, Goten/Chi-Chi in the Zamasu fight), at which point Nozawa puts on her serious Goku voice too.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Funky Valentine posted:

Sean Schemmel is also very bad and easily the worst aspect of dubbed Dragon Ball.

Alright, like dub vs. sub whatever you want, but this I won't stand for!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Unfortunately, there was a good chunk of time when the English dub had only caught up to the Freeza saga, and, understandably, it took time for the dub to work its way through DBZ. In the mean time, I wanted more, so I searched out the original show in Japanese, and found some websites that offered VHS fansubs.

From that point on, I preferred the original Japanese cast and their interpretation of the characters. For example, listen to Japanese Cell. I thought the Japanese voice actor for Cell, Norio Wakamoto, did an outstanding job. I loved to hate him. He was everything a great villain should be!

Vegeta, Piccolo, Krillin, Mr. Satan, and many others have suiting voices that I really enjoy, too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Joseph Joestar Mr.Satan is pretty recent in the grand scheme but it's 10/10 levels of casting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Nozawa sells the different Gokus really well for me. Adult Goku, young Goku/Gotenks, Goku Black. She's really loving good at it. That said, I haven't really been feeling her DBS Gohan much. Maybe it's because of the show's writing of Gohan as more or less a non-character. :v:

Dias posted:

My favorite thing about DBS filler is that by definition it's impossible for DBS to have filler.

Also, Arale-chan.

I mean Goku vs Arale is pretty much filler. It's good filler, but you could remove it from the series and nothing would change (the same can't be said of the King Kai episode since it results in a state change for the Dragonballs and it informs us on the character dynamics between Beerus and Bulma with regards to time travel).

e;

Jedah posted:

From that point on, I preferred the original Japanese cast and their interpretation of the characters. For example, listen to Japanese Cell. I thought the Japanese voice actor for Cell, Norio Wakamoto, did an outstanding job. I loved to hate him. He was everything a great villain should be!

Wakamoto Cell is THE reason DBZ sub wins over the dub. They could be equal in everything else, but this would totally tip it over on its own.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 4, 2016

• Locked thread