Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I think the two moments where I was reading this bullshit and I had to physically stop and just say aloud to myself, "What the gently caress?" It wasn't during Ninja Sex School and it wasn't during Sleepaway Fairy Sex Camp. I think both happened during NOTW.

The first was when the Back-of-the-Book blurb was actually in the book verbatim. I laughed at that blurb, thinking it was some lovely editor's choice to create the garbage and post it on the book's back cover. It was not. Rothfuss unironically wrote that and put it in the book. It's basically the sign at the mouth of Hell, "Abandon hope all ye who enter here."

The second was this paragraph where Kvothe is saying his friends are out drinking and he says something like, "We were drinking but not quite drunk yet, somewhere in-between sober and tipsy, we'd had a few but not too many...." and then he ends this long tirade by saying "But I'm not going to try to pinpoint how drunk we were." I was listening to the audiobook so it took like, three minutes to get to that. Three minutes of nothing.

I would like to attribute the really pretentious tone to the fact that Kvothe himself is telling the story, but Kvothe is apparently Rothfuss's self-insert bully-slaying high school fantasy. It even bleeds through to the parts of the novel that aren't from his point of view; see the "silence of three parts" bullshit that is just a prologue/epilogue of meaningless bullshit. Rothfuss purple princesses through what is telling us that Kvothe is depressed and his fairy boyfriend is trying to fix that, poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

HIJK posted:

People sharing their contrasting opinions and saying why they think so is anti feminist now?

Nah. Saying someone's opinion is bad or disagreeing with it but then not elaborating on it because "They cannot be bothered." It's exactly how I posted, I wasn't exaggerating when I said people were doing that.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Lol at the page count on that leak. 463 pages is about half of Wise Man's Fear. Wise Man's Fear was released on March 1, 2011. He's averaging under a quarter page per day.

See y'all in 2022

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Is it normal to keep a story like this in a single file? That seems like doing revisions would be really tough.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Is it normal to keep a story like this in a single file? That seems like doing revisions would be really tough.

As a writer of epic fantasy for the last 15 years...No. It is the worst possible way to write. He should switch to Scrivener ASAP, or use document map in Word, or if he wants to be old school, keep separate documents for each chapter. This partially explains why he is so inefficient.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

That is a single chapter. He's going to finish the story in the third book, which will be twenty thousand pages long.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Can confirm, scrivener is awesome.

Even if you're just some nerd doing D&D adventures, you should probably get it. It has an amazing suite of formatting features for interfacing with publishers and getting your story primed to send off to an editor or to cold call someone, but it also just has a ton of nice organizational features and display options for working on and maintaining complicated multi character narratives.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Yea, my current project is 250k words with 3 main PoVs, and Scrivener made doing throughlines so much easier. I used to keep separate files, but that method gets insane once you get past the first draft stage and start shuffling chapters around. I mean, you can literally spend an hour just changing the position of chapters and getting the formatting right in Word. Or you can do it in five seconds in Scriv.

Not to mention keeping all your research in one program for easy reference. I don't have to go googling to remember what a frizzen pan does or looks like anymore.

And then for Ebooks, it has the best easy Ebook generator I've used, with automatic table of contents generator (something that many pro-released Ebooks STILL don't have.)

I switched to Scriv after watching Brandon Sanderson work for a few hours. It's just more efficient.

/End advertisement.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

BananaNutkins posted:

I switched to Scriv after watching Brandon Sanderson work for a few hours. It's just more efficient.

In which time he completed 3 novels and a novella.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

In which time he completed 3 novels and a novella.

But none of them were as heartbreakingly tortured as the twee girl technical manual that is Slow Regard of Silent Things.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Well, one good thing to come out of this thread is that I am totally grabbing Scrivener now.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Reene posted:

Well, one good thing to come out of this thread is that I am totally grabbing Scrivener now.

I'm late, but it's an excellent program. I have no idea how I got anything done, in terms of organization, before it. Can't imagine working on a book-sized chunk of text in Word - ever again.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Reene posted:

It is excellent.

Shame I lost it when my laptop fried though. :smithicide:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I too think Scrivener is extra loving dope

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

More like The Credible Hulk.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

If you get it, spend some time setting up templates and checking out youtube videos- there are a ton of features to explore and investing time to use the software to its fullest will save you more than enough time down the road to make it worthwhile.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I read the leaked page and it sucked balls. He's doing the same stuff that drove me crazy in the first two--excessive use of blocking and over-describing mundane actions. It's like giving a play by play of a silent movie to a blind man (stolen from someone's amazon review of SRoST.)

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Mundane actions are really cool to describe if they are juxtaposed by whom the character is.

Like, a serial killer pouring himself a glass of water could be incredibly tense because of your relationship with the character.

So don't forget- Kvothe is a psychopath.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
To be slightly charitable, I think a lot of genuinely great writers probably have rough drafts that look like complete garbage. Over-describing characters physical actions and motivations often happens there (and it can be like leaving a little note to yourself, that you excise in later drafts), and rough drafts tend to have all sorts of awkward experimentation with phrasing.

Of course we’ve seen this guy’s final drafts, so…welp.

It's kind of sad. This guy could have probably grown a lot as a writer if he hadn't stumbled into instant acclaim and had a good editor who patiently explained the flaws in his writing to him.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"See, Patrick, in fantasy we generally use this thing called a plot..."

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

BananaNutkins posted:

I read the leaked page and it sucked balls. He's doing the same stuff that drove me crazy in the first two--excessive use of blocking and over-describing mundane actions. It's like giving a play by play of a silent movie to a blind man (stolen from someone's amazon review of SRoST.)

It's a pretty standard rookie mistake for new writers who watch movies more than they read books. You hope it's something they grow out of because it usually adds very little other than tedium but Rothfuss's situation isn't exactly the kind that demands him to grow out of his bad habits

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
http://www.tor.com/2016/12/07/casting-the-kingkiller-chronicle/

This chick thinks there's black people in the Kingkiller world. Did I miss some? It is, of course, incredibly diverse as well as undoubtedly strongly feminist, so I probably did.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Kvothe's friend Wilem is described as dark-skinned. He has no characterization, so you might have forgotten that he even exists.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

quote:

On the other hand, he’s certainly more than capable of capturing the haunted, world-weary side of the character and tackle the almost Shakespearean complexities of being both Kote, the affable nobody, and Kvothe, the conflicted, misunderstood legend in his own time.

The whole article is garbage, but this sentence made me actually laugh.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

This chick thinks there's black people in the Kingkiller world. Did I miss some? It is, of course, incredibly diverse as well as undoubtedly strongly feminist, so I probably did.
Is the idea that everyone's white unless proven otherwise?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Wilem is described as dark skinned

Edit: as is Kilvin. I think people from Siaru are generally darker complected.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 8, 2016

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

jivjov posted:

Wilem is described as dark skinned

Edit: as is Kilvin. I think people from Siaru are generally darker complected.

Is it darker as in non-white or darker as in "Olive-skinned, but still white"?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dienes posted:

Is it darker as in non-white or darker as in "Olive-skinned, but still white"?

All the officially licensed art I've seen depicts them both as black.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I like how you had to ninja edit the second line into your post, which previously just said something generically negative like "for gently caress's sake", when you realized that otherwise nobody would be able to tell what you were complaining about.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lol at dodging the fact that Wilem, an important recurring character with lots of dialogue, has no characterisation.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

It's probably a product of instilled racism and white-as-default, but I took "dark skinned" as like, Mediterranean. Italian. You know, the dirty whites-that-aren't-whites according to the 20th century standard.

Also the reader for the audiobook puts on this eastern European, pseudo-Russian accent when they spoke so basically Kilvan is a big burly Russian man and nobody can tell me otherwise.

The same reader elected to make one of the owners of the Music Club have the awkward Latin Lover accent so...

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Is the idea that everyone's white unless proven otherwise?

Do we know that Kvothe isn't a person of color?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Trammel posted:

We know his hair is colorful...

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Trammel posted:

We know Kvothe's skin is "fair".

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I like how you had to ninja edit the second line into your post, which previously just said something generically negative like "for gently caress's sake", when you realized that otherwise nobody would be able to tell what you were complaining about.

Originally I just wrote "Christ." Which was aimed at the tweeness of the entire exercise and the first few entries. Then I read further and came back.

Malpais Legate posted:

It's probably a product of instilled racism and white-as-default, but I took "dark skinned" as like, Mediterranean. Italian. You know, the dirty whites-that-aren't-whites according to the 20th century standard.

It's a product of the map and knowledge of how differentiation into races happens and the degree of separation and time necessary for much of a difference to develop.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Is the "Bloodless" title something fans of this book actually think is cool or was it just the easiest one to fit on the fake Hamilton logo?

Because if it's the former then holy moly

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Compare this to the Seanchan in Wheel of Time who are explicitly black but everyone forgets because in the Wheel of Time universe skin color is a really minor attribute and the Seanchan culture is way more interesting than just being the black race plus all the Seanchan characters are fully realized with goals and ambitions and flaws.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
The Seanchan had all kinds. The imperial family seemed more Indian than black. Shara had black people.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'd like to compare Kilvin to the Redguard in Elder Scrolls for a moment. You see,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
trash

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread