Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Considering the hellcat had to have come from the states, it was probably the only one measuring with a 3.78 liter gallon. In the US, the DB9 is rated 13 city 19 highway, the rolls 12 city 19 highway, and the auto hellcat 13 city 22 highway. 21 imperial MPG is 17.49 US mpg.

Stop looking for facts in an entertainment show known for bashing american cars for entertainment dummies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

projecthalaxy posted:

It kinda reminds me of the time they had the original Tesla on and said it had a 50 mile range and broke down immediately, then Tesla sued them and they admitted it was an "exaggeration".

I just watched that one tonight actually. The overall tone of it was about 80% "this is actually pretty great", and the mechanical issues洋ade up or not謡ere just sort of tossed in at the end (probably in order to make May's segment later on the Honda FCX Clarity look better by comparison, probably because they were keener to suck up to Leno than Elon Musk). In context you really don't get the sense that they're trying to gratuitously bash Tesla, just that an electric Elise comes across as a kind of weird idea despite being pretty good.

Not sure whether my point is that Tesla was being whiny babies or that Clarkson is a charlatan, probably "a little of both and if you expected any differently from either one you're a fool".

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

And here I thought the customized Renault Clio blaring Black Eyed Peas would be the most annoying thing I'd ever see in Piazzale Michelangelo. At least they didn't get permission to do it in Venice, too.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Powershift posted:

Stop looking for facts in an entertainment show known for bashing american cars for entertainment dummies.

The part where Clarkson taps on the interior of American cars and calls it cheap/tacky got a lot funnier after I drove an 05 Mini.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

You know, I rather liked the color of Clarkson's DB11. Calling it "brown" was a rather uncharitable dramatization.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
This episode was great and that Aston was beautiful.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
How is the 6mpg number even being disputed? It's a 700hp supercharged car that was being romped on the entire trip including a session of track driving. What is wrong with you people :psyduck:

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

8ender posted:

How is the 6mpg number even being disputed? It's a 700hp supercharged car that was being romped on the entire trip including a session of track driving. What is wrong with you people :psyduck:

GutBomb posted:

Some people really dislike fun.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't dislike fun. It was a fun episode. I liked it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Pham Nuwen posted:

The part where Clarkson taps on the interior of American cars and calls it cheap/tacky got a lot funnier after I drove an 05 Mini.
Well, BMW Mini interiors are shocking too.

But really, while I don't mind a more basic interior (the Zoe is quite plasticky), it's very noticeable in a lot of American cars because - like the Mini - you kind of feel it's pretending to be better quality, rather than being honest about it being an area where costs have been saved in order to meet the actually very good price points the US has for new cars.

The worst thing (and I've seen this in plenty of non-American brands, again Mini being a prime offender) is silver plastic. No, you're not fooling anyone, it's not aluminium, it just looks really tacky. Please use plain black plastic and be done with it.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

InitialDave posted:

Well, BMW Mini interiors are shocking too.

But really, while I don't mind a more basic interior (the Zoe is quite plasticky), it's very noticeable in a lot of American cars because - like the Mini - you kind of feel it's pretending to be better quality, rather than being honest about it being an area where costs have been saved in order to meet the actually very good price points the US has for new cars.

The worst thing (and I've seen this in plenty of non-American brands, again Mini being a prime offender) is silver plastic. No, you're not fooling anyone, it's not aluminium, it just looks really tacky. Please use plain black plastic and be done with it.

Go sit in a 2017 Toyota yaris stitched leather dash I poo poo you not

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Preoptopus posted:

Stitched leather? Or stitched plastic a la the last two generations of the civic?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Preoptopus posted:

I really wish they'd had the option of the Aston Martin Cygnet interior for the normal iQ.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Have they actually sold any of those things?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is the regulation that you have to sell them or make them?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Data Graham posted:

When the model was dropped Autocar reported 143 sold in the UK over two years: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/aston-martin-cygnet-axed

The estimate on Wiki is under 300 worldwide.

I think I recall at one point they were expected to be a mandatory purchase for someone wanting to buy one of the really high end models, I don't recall if that ever went anywhere.

If not then really the only markets I can think of are people who have enough money to not give a gently caress and either legitimately want a city car or want to troll their children by saying they'll get them an Aston Martin for birthday/christmas/graduation whatever and then giving them this leather-wrapped Toyota.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It only exists because the law requires their entire range to have an average fuel economy. So if they want their DB11 to get 15mpg, they need another vehicle that gets 60mpg or whatever to bring the average up.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I spoke to someone who was at the Loch Ness filming and they said they filmed stuff for two episodes there? Sounds a bit odd to me maybe they misheard.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

wolrah posted:

If not then really the only markets I can think of are people who have enough money to not give a gently caress and either legitimately want a city car or want to troll their children by saying they'll get them an Aston Martin for birthday/christmas/graduation whatever and then giving them this leather-wrapped Toyota.
If they weren't so expensive, I think they'd have done very well. I'd quite like one, but not at the 」30k they command.

On the other hand, I suspect they're one of these oddities that will be an unusual but worthwhile investment car, and worth a decent amount in a few decades.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

You know, I rather liked the color of Clarkson's DB11. Calling it "brown" was a rather uncharitable dramatization.

They called the Kia brown, too. I don't really understand it, either.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

And the Rolls was Grey apparently?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Data Graham posted:

I've seen one in the garage of my parents' building.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Data Graham posted:

There's 144 on the road according to https://howmanyleft.co.uk, plus however many were sold abroad.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cojawfee posted:

It only exists because the law requires their entire range to have an average fuel economy. So if they want their DB11 to get 15mpg, they need another vehicle that gets 60mpg or whatever to bring the average up.

Which country had the law? And is it weighted average of distance/fuel or fuel/distance (which conceivably makes more sense)?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm guessing the UK since it was marketed there.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It was EU fleet average emissions regulations, not fuel mileage and it did depend on sales volume.

This article from 2010 says they expected to sell many more than they actually did.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/cygnet-key-astons-future

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 5, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've always wanted on with a turbo on it. The most adorable race car.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

angryhampster posted:

On a side note -- what are the best TGUS episodes? I never got hooked on the show. A lot of the episodes were dull but there were some good ones as well.

Whenever they made the switch from a TGUK copy to just doing "3 guys driving around in cars" is when it got pretty decent. By the end, I found myself enjoying pretty much every episode. Sure, Tanner "wins" every competition, because who's going to let the other two drive a million dollar supercar, but that's fine. I found myself laughing just about as much as I would watching a classic TGUK episode.

I actually feel kinda bad, because I really ripped on TGUS in the first couple seasons, then didn't give it much of a chance until the last season or so, when I went back and watched the newer format episodes, and realised I'd been missing out on a pretty entertaining show. And of course, History Channel cans it just as they're hitting their stride.

Edit:
The Rubicon Trail episode of the final season is probably one of their best episodes. The final episode, in Cuba, is also quite good.

JBark fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 5, 2016

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
So does whitby have good fish and fries?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/MrJamesMay/status/805737309769441280

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

GutBomb posted:

It was EU fleet average emissions regulations, not fuel mileage and it did depend on sales volume.

This article from 2010 says they expected to sell many more than they actually did.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/cygnet-key-astons-future

I think if you ordered a DBS you had to buy a cygnet too, you didnt have a choice in the matter. They presented it as some kind of "preorder bonus"

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I'm so excited. As my brother called it, the most riveting, fascinating boring show ever.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

JBark posted:

Whenever they made the switch from a TGUK copy to just doing "3 guys driving around in cars" is when it got pretty decent. By the end, I found myself enjoying pretty much every episode. Sure, Tanner "wins" every competition, because who's going to let the other two drive a million dollar supercar, but that's fine. I found myself laughing just about as much as I would watching a classic TGUK episode.

I actually feel kinda bad, because I really ripped on TGUS in the first couple seasons, then didn't give it much of a chance until the last season or so, when I went back and watched the newer format episodes, and realised I'd been missing out on a pretty entertaining show. And of course, History Channel cans it just as they're hitting their stride.

Edit:
The Rubicon Trail episode of the final season is probably one of their best episodes. The final episode, in Cuba, is also quite good.

Seasons one and two had their moments, but yeah I'd say 3+ are all pretty excellent.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Some people really dislike fun.
Pretty amazed at the bitching ITT. Completely absurd. I wish some of you would stop watching because God drat.

Maybe I'm an unrepentant prole, but GT episode 3 is now one of my favorites, ever.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

JBark posted:

Whenever they made the switch from a TGUK copy to just doing "3 guys driving around in cars" is when it got pretty decent.

To some extent they never got away from being a TGUK copy because even after they dropped the studio audience, siarpc, etc, they still culled a good chunk of their challenges from Top GearUK.

Still though I'll always have a soft spot for TGUS because they filmed the semi challenge ten miles from my home town, and that was neat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Preoptopus posted:

So does whitby have good fish and fries?
No, it has fish and chips. But yes, it's a fishing town in the north of England. They're decent.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

blk posted:

The new episode is much better but the material and jokes just don't seem as good as they were in TG; the flow of the show seems really disjointed. Did they lose a key writer in the transition or something? I did much prefer GTs in Italy to the other stuff, but the Hammond thing was totally overwrought. I would also like to know more about the cars, even though they don't have the "provide product reviews" mandate from the BBC anymore.

I very much agree.

I feel like the grumpy guy in the corner thinking about the good old days, but it very much seems like the 3 have too much of a hand in everything. The name of the show is medicore at best (the logo is crap), the intro seems like it's out of a nat geo show from 2005. I don't even know what the hell they're attempting "drivetribe", the name alone is cringe.

The cinematography to this point is no better, and so far the writing/gags are not really working for me (though to be fair even top gear would often be wayyyyy to scripted). I will give it the benefit of the doubt by saying they are probably not allowed to do a bunch of stuff that goes back to the "good old days" due to the BBC. I've got to say I think the 2nd episode was the one I enjoyed the most, maybe since it just wasn't so prediactable? I dunno. Maybe I've just grown out of the top gear schtick.

To me, I see in 10 years down the road one of the trio will write a book and say "Amazon gave us unlimited money and the reigns and we realized we didn't know what we were doing". That's what it feels like to me, so far nothing is "better" and I hope no one at amazon is wondering what all the money is being spent on (aside from travel). I don't know anything about the business side of things, but I would guess netflix is breathing a sigh of relief.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

InitialDave posted:

No, it has fish and chips. But yes, it's a fishing town in the north of England. They're decent.

Do you buy it in snack bars or on the sidewalk?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Like little walk up restaurant things.

Best fish n chips in the world are in Edinburgh, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nah, the best fish'n'chips are in Mallaig, right by the station. Freshest possible fish, and godlike chips.

So. loving. Good.