Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

berzerkmonkey posted:

Did you prime with another color, or is the Ironbreaker directly on the model?

Sorry, i primed it black with Vallejo surface primer. I'm not sure how much the underlying primer affects the shade of a metal colour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Frobbe posted:

Sorry, i primed it black with Vallejo surface primer. I'm not sure how much the underlying primer affects the shade of a metal colour.

Usually quite a bit - black will make the metal "shine" more, and white will result in a more dull tone. Thanks for the recommendation!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Frobbe posted:

Check out Citadel Air Ironbreaker, it's what i used for all my scourge and they came out very nice!

when a wash grips nicely, you know it's good.

Nice! Is this just silver with a wash? Is P3 Pig Iron about similar?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

I need a recommendation for a very fine silver(ish) paint that I can use as a base for my 6mm Epic stuff. I'm looking to do Alpha Legion, and, since there will be multiple layers, I've got to do very fine coats that still cover well. This can be airbrush or rattlecan.

I have tried the Testors silver, and while it looks good, it was way too smooth and didn't have enough tooth for subsequent layers to grab onto.

Vallejo Air Steel (71.065) is great for smooth silver that you can mix with other colors.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pierzak posted:

Vallejo Air Steel (71.065) is great for smooth silver that you can mix with other colors.

I'm less worried about mixing it than it applying smoothly and being able to take a top layer. Thanks for the rec though - I'll look into this as well.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I just finished these bad boys. Hope you don't mind a dump of a few pics.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Made the most of the black friday sales, and bought some paints from Vallejo, P3 and Reaper.

Currently in love with Necrotite Green, Murderous Magenta and Burgundy Wine. Girlfriend came home, saw the table of paint pots and laughed. Added a new paint rack to the credit card.

edit: Also got to use Gamer's grass for the first time, really, really like the result.

Yeast fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 1, 2016

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

big_g posted:

I just finished these bad boys. Hope you don't mind a dump of a few pics.
These are rad as gently caress.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm less worried about mixing it than it applying smoothly and being able to take a top layer. Thanks for the rec though - I'll look into this as well.

It's airbrush paint, so it's noticeably smoother than normal ones. If you want multiple layers of glazes like on those FW 30k schemes, it should do nicely.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Did something more with green stuff than gap filling for the first time today. I reposed my Titan Sentry's shield arm to make him hold it in a more defensive position. The stock model has the shield arm awkwardly hanging by his side, thanks to it being a plastic kit with three different weapon options, and the arm being reused, forcing them to go with a very generic pose.

It's not much, but I'm proud of it. My sculpting is garbage, it just looked like a green sausage, but thankfully his shoulderguard covers it neatly.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Chill la Chill posted:

Nice! Is this just silver with a wash? Is P3 Pig Iron about similar?

yeah, i airbrushed citadel air ironbreaker (chosen purely because it's what i had lying about) and gave it a single layer of druchii violet wash. it's goddamn lovely!

here's the entire crew

I am considering maybe a very soft drybrush to highlight all the greeblies.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nice. That reminds me: what's that new GW technical paint about? The one where you apply it over a silver undercoat. Heard it was supposed to produce gem-like brilliance but it's exactly like Tamiya's XF(?) series but more expensive.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Talking of new GW paints, I'm wondering how similar the new Ahriman and Thousand Son blues are to something like Trollblood Base from Privateer.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Nice. That reminds me: what's that new GW technical paint about? The one where you apply it over a silver undercoat. Heard it was supposed to produce gem-like brilliance but it's exactly like Tamiya's XF(?) series but more expensive.

Thats a good description. They're basically strong pigments but with little paint medium, so they can influence other paints without overpowering their medium properties (i.e metallics, wet drying paints, technical basings, etc.).

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
You're thinking of the tints not the gemstone paints. Haven't tried them myself but they seem to be basically a thick ink. Technique is a big part of it as you want it to go on thinner at the bottom and thick at the top to give the look of depth.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pierzak posted:

It's airbrush paint, so it's noticeably smoother than normal ones. If you want multiple layers of glazes like on those FW 30k schemes, it should do nicely.

Thanks.

Speaking of airbrushing, do you guys thin your Vallejo primers (or any primer, for that matter?) I haven't used my VP yet, and was just wondering how well it flows from a Patriot/all-around GP airbrush.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I don't thin my Stynylrez, haven't tried using Vallejo.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

No need to thin surface primer.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
OK, thanks. I know some folks like to thin everything, including airbrush paints, so I wanted to make sure.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I only thin airbrush paints if I need them to be even thinner then they already are and more glaze like. The only thing I *usually* autothin are brush paints, and even that isn't always true. I usually don't thin out Reaper HD paints, for instance, unless I am mixing them with another type of paint, for example.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

Thanks.

Speaking of airbrushing, do you guys thin your Vallejo primers (or any primer, for that matter?) I haven't used my VP yet, and was just wondering how well it flows from a Patriot/all-around GP airbrush.

I've had issues with dry tip with unthinned Vallejo primer. But I haven't tried it thinned yet.

On the subject of dry tip any suggestions for minimizing it? I've heard windex will work although it's not the recommended.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I've had issues with dry tip with unthinned Vallejo primer. But I haven't tried it thinned yet.

On the subject of dry tip any suggestions for minimizing it? I've heard windex will work although it's not the recommended.

Windex will dry your seals/gaskets, from what I understand. They make needle lube, though I haven't used it. You can use flow improver as well. Or, just keep a Qtip with thinner at hand and clean the tip every so often.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

darnon posted:

You're thinking of the tints not the gemstone paints. Haven't tried them myself but they seem to be basically a thick ink. Technique is a big part of it as you want it to go on thinner at the bottom and thick at the top to give the look of depth.

My bad. The idea is still pretty similar; the gemstone paints are very slightly translucent, so the first thin coats are to tint the silver into a gemstone shine, and then the thick coats still allow the (no longer silver) metallic sheen to catch some light.

You can certainly do the same with Tamiya, but I feel the citadel ones are a little more forgiving in terms of technique. I'm not sure how many other paint lines have a similar thing going on, since GW puts funky stuff in their paint and Tamiya is resin/alcohol based to get the wet looks, while most other lines stick to solvent-less acrylics for ease of use.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Splitting this into a doublepost: right now I'm having a minor airbrush problem; when I depress the trigger the brush continues to spray air gor 1-2 seconds before stopping. It's not a huge problem right now as I'm still working on larger scale gunpla, but I imagine it would make mini painting in the future rather frustrating.

Would I be correct in assuming that the culprit is a warped rubber stopper in the plunger hole? If so, is there a simple fix or cheap way to replace it?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I had a similar problem. The mechanism was gunked up.

I put some airbrush cleaner in the problem area, let it sit for like a minute, then flushed it out. Worked fine after that.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

Windex will dry your seals/gaskets, from what I understand. They make needle lube, though I haven't used it. You can use flow improver as well. Or, just keep a Qtip with thinner at hand and clean the tip every so often.

I'll check those out, mine gets dry every 5 minutes which may be related to it being bone dry in my apartment or me being terrible. Although I'm curious what O rings are in the airbrush in the front end since it's all metal to metal seals.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Windex makes a specific formulation that is ammonia free, which you definitely want if you're going to use it in your airbrush. Using regular Windex with ammonia will almost certainly corrode your airbrush over time and breathing in ammonia is pretty lovely.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Can't say enough good things about Vallejo flow improver. It makes airbrushing even easier - and it's got a drying retarder in it so dry tip is very hard to come by.

A++

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Yeast posted:

Can't say enough good things about Vallejo flow improver. It makes airbrushing even easier - and it's got a drying retarder in it so dry tip is very hard to come by.

A++
Good stuff. The other thing I've used is literal dry retarder, but it can cause some different behaviors with paint etc and change dry times on what your working on

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 3, 2016

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Ammonia free windex in a condiment dispensing squeeze bottle is really handy for doing quick airbrush cleaning between colors.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
SPACESHIP!

It took some time to figure out the details of the scheme and redo a few sections. I also went a bit heavy on the gloss coat and meaning it almost a week to dry. But it's finally finished and i'm happy with it. Subsequent ships should be a good bit faster and there's not that many in a fleet.

Was a bitch to photograph though, by phones auto-exposure does not like dark grey.

I took plenty of WiP pics too and i'll be writing up that step-by-step.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
I just saw this in the drop thread, but that ship is so pretty. What kind of stand is that?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That ship is stunning. Stand looks like a telescopic aerial.

melonfish
Apr 13, 2016

The original Dunning-Kruger test subject.

Ilor posted:

These are rad as gently caress.
Seconded, love the work on these G!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Bistromatic posted:

SPACESHIP!

It took some time to figure out the details of the scheme and redo a few sections. I also went a bit heavy on the gloss coat and meaning it almost a week to dry. But it's finally finished and i'm happy with it. Subsequent ships should be a good bit faster and there's not that many in a fleet.

Was a bitch to photograph though, by phones auto-exposure does not like dark grey.

I took plenty of WiP pics too and i'll be writing up that step-by-step.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
How

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Is that Dropfleet Commander?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

DiHK posted:

Is that Dropfleet Commander?

Yes. It's a UCM ship.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks for the kind words y'all!

I wrote a first draft of the Step-by-Step:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cT1xAa0Cigac--IN5Kdhxazao0PgUaa_3myIbAntCrA/edit?usp=sharing

If anyone wants i can post the whole thing here directly too.

I'll happily answer questions or go into more detail about particular things.

Dr. Phildo posted:

I just saw this in the drop thread, but that ship is so pretty. What kind of stand is that?

I'm working on custom telescoping bases, it's an antenna like TT suggested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Ok i'm loving stumped, can any goons offer any advise with this? or suggest a helpful airbrush forum?

Using a badger 105, so far i have tried:

Vallejo air brush primer - works for about a minute then the air brush clogs.
Vallejo white primer with a few drops of thinner - works for about a minute but then i get dry tip after a few times cleaning that i get a clog.
Vallejo white primer with a 1/5th thinner - way too thin

the clogs seem to build up over time and then the only way i can clear them for a bit is to engage the action at full blast with the needle fully retracted. I had a Iwata CS before this and I had nowhere this level of difficultly. I've been cleaning the airbrush after as the helpful video in the OP advised and it seems to be clean.

Is the Vallejo paint just super awful? is createx air brush paint a better option?

Also doubtthis is related but when taking the adapter on and off the airbrush should the part 50-015 in this diagram keep poping out?

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/pdf/105%20fine%20patriot.pdf

gently caress, this is amazing.