Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I went to microcenter yesterday and I had to ask a retail worker where something was.

*shivers*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I run a major retail chain; let's call it lest lie. The customers are the worst. One time a person came in uneducated about an electronic product that she had saved up to but for her crotch spawn. She was slightly overweight (has nothing to do with the story but details like this are important). Ugh, why couldn't she take the time to look up the difference between the PS4 and Pro before coming in.

Customers are the worst.

If she can't be hosed to do her research, I can't be bothered to do my job.

Oscar Wild fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 4, 2016

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

With the right social skills and a little bullshitting no customer service issue is too much to handle. Master these skills to turn frowns upside down all year round! :smug:

soupbone sal
Oct 29, 2016
I work retail but I am pretty much incapable of outrage at this point. I like customers as long as they're friendly. Nobody likes a cold fish.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

"So, has it been busy?" gently caress. you.

soupbone sal
Oct 29, 2016

gary oldmans diary posted:

big box retail store. me working. hear a loud whistle behind me, look over my shoulder. is customer waiting with arms crossed. i have been detected (!)
resume working
"Ahem!"

"Oh, hi. I didn't see you there."
The customer's mouth moves but all you hear are ocean waves crashing over themselves and drifting onto white sands. The sun is beating down on your tanned body, but it isn't unpleasant. You have a cold drink in your hand. What is it? You take a sip. There's a tartness masking a great deal of alcohol. It's delicious. You notice a girl face down on a blanket about a hundred feet down the beach. My god has she undone her top? I have to go in that direction for a little peek. The dry sand burns my feet, so I move slightly into the water. If the view of this girl pans out I might want to go waist deep.
The customer's mouth has stopped moving.
"Oh, I'm sorry. I don't know about that."

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

Oscar Wild posted:

I run a major retail chain; let's call it lest lie.

Why not just call it Best Buy instead? I don't think they are tracking you.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ohnonotme posted:

Why not just call it Best Buy instead? I don't think they are tracking you.

he runs the whole chain. he is the they

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dave_Indeed posted:

I went to microcenter yesterday and I had to ask a retail worker where something was.

*shivers*

Microcenter owns

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

gary oldmans diary posted:

he runs the whole chain. he is the they

Lol

soupbone sal
Oct 29, 2016
I had a customer come to a self-service bar after it was closed and make a complete mess of the place. I asked him if he would clean up his mess and he kept repeating WHAT IS YOUR NAME?? while his eyes searched wildly for a name tag that I do not wear.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
:chord: - me
:btroll: - customer + all of you reading this

The Story

there is no story lmao

soupbone sal
Oct 29, 2016
A guy told me he was gonna gently caress me up because we ran out of Marinara sauce. He stole a bag of chips and ran out.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

One time I had a nightmare where I was a retail worker.

Thank god that isn't the case.

soupbone sal
Oct 29, 2016
It's actually pretty fun. I like talking to the public. The money isn't great and you have to accept that you're some sort of sub-human loser, but it beats picking rocks.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

there's other people in line in front of me lef me tell you how absolutely furious this makes me

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
service industry is superior yet again :nutshot:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

It's two PM. The small hours. The bad hours. The hours that try men's souls. If you're like me, that's when all your old mistakes, all your doubts gang up on you. Knock you down, work you over, kick you right in your old wounds until they bleed again, fresh as ever, and the answers to the important questions stop making sense. Why go on? Why bother?

Sure, I've got it all figured out, the rest of the time. I got my reasons to do what I do. Good reasons. Student loan payments. The cute girl down at the bakery. Employee discount at the deli section, and some of those salads really are damned good. But at 2 PM, deep into my shift but nowhere near its end, none of them ring true. None of those are the real one.

I see trouble coming for me from a mile away, but like a deer facing down a pair of high beams, I'm too drat stupid to run. Thirty-five going on fifty. Mother of two point five kids. Sensible, low-maintenance haircut. Danger, capitalized and burning. And in the back of my head, there's that little voice. The voice I try to drown in cheap gin every night. The voice that's gonna get me killed one day, or maybe even worse. It's saying 'this woman needs help', and drat me if I don't listen to it.

That's the real reason. I'm too drat stupid to quit.

"Hello, ma'am, how can I help you?" I say. My words taste like cigarette ash and cheap gin in my mouth. Most words do.

"Uh, yes," she says. Then she smiles, awkward. She catches on that I said how can I, and not just can I. I smile back to let her know it's okay, and it is. You don't work this beat as long as I have without running into that a thousand times over, into that and worse. "Do you still carry rye bread? It's just, I checked over there, and I didn't see any."

"Yes ma'am," I say. "It's over on isle two now."

"Oh!" she says. "Yes, I thought things looked a little different. Thank you for your help."

I watch her go, watch her walk out of my life as fast as she came in. Then I turn down the next isle and walk away, my pricing gun heavy on my hip. The cereal boxes watch me in silence, black, empty cartoon eyes tracking my every move. I close my eyes, and feel the store embrace me.

gently caress

soupbone sal
Oct 29, 2016
Oh poo poo, that one's good too. Great job folks.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Just thinking about posting my story has got me in tears

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Sjs00 posted:

Just thinking about posting my story has got me in tears

will you be representing the characters in your story using emoticons? data shows that 96% of posters will ignore your story if you don't.

source: data sample size of 1, i.e. me

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
The ice machine can't stop muttering about the price of electricity these days. It is noon on a Tuesday and it is the fourth time this week I've heard the same diatribe. The liquor store smells faintly of anapestic and sweat. Dust permeates the bottles surrounding my nest by the register. The door rings.

"HEY DID YOU EVEN GO HOME LAST NIGHT?!" a grinning caricature of a human being gawps between rotting teeth. Inside, another layer of faint self loathing wraps itself around my soul. It is the sixteenth time this foul creature has made this joke in the last two weeks. I grab their bottle and shove it across the counter. It dumps a pocket full of greasy change and lurches for the door at a speed that can only be described as "generously creaky". I count the change and they're forty eight cents short.

I count the slow ticking of the clock under my breath. Forty eight cents closer to death. Last nights hangover throbs but I cannot remember ever having left. I look down and realize that I have begun to merge with the pile of detritus surrounding the register. I am short of breath and can hear a faint roaring in my ears.

"Hey buddy? You okay?" Reality snaps back. It is twelve fifteen on a Tuesday and a pale blob has been speaking to me in words I can hardly understand. "Yeah, I'm fine. What's your poison?" I reply, aware that my mouth is making noise and that I am speaking but the observer within is just along for the ride. Consciousness has taken a back seat to autopilot. I envision myself as a small man sitting in the tiny smoking control room of my brain, error codes cascading across sensory display screens manically screaming for command overrides while autonomous control routines have taken over.

I smell burning hair. It is the first thing which has penetrated the haze in weeks. An unholy blonde creature stands in front of me, skin glistening wetly through caked on foundation. Blue eye-shadow masks a lifetime of regret and I sense its bloodlust. It is Tuesday. I glance at the clock and hours have slipped by without any impact on my sense of time. The register beeps in faint solidarity then blue-screens. I look down at my hands and notice faintly that I have chewed off my fingernails.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 4, 2016

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I went to work naked and took a test I hadn't studied for.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
9:30 PM, stores closes at 10. I'm the only one on register; recently graduated with no friends.
:v: -stands at register and see's three customers walking around-
:j:1 (Girl one, dressed for a club, tits out hair done up, makeup all over. Was in my class; photos leaked of her with semen all over her back. confirmed freak. Met her in 6th grade; maybe said three words in 6 years.
:j:2 (Girl two, some how dressed even sluttier than girl one; I've known her since 2nd grade
:what: (Guy; confirmed bisexual, not a threat at all. Known him for 6 plus years as well)
The problem with this is that I've never been part of the 'cool crowd' on account of owning a skateboard and having been caught breaking the law in middle; among other goony factors.
:v: (Oh poo poo ohshit ohshit)
:j: :j: :what: -they're here at the register; buying red solo cups-
:v: (Hey! They're probably gonna play that cool game everyone loves, beer pong! I should ask them!)
:v: (Wait, no. If I ask them they're just gonna look at me strangely and say that they were just buying these cups because they don't have any at their apartment that they all share you have no chance with any of them even the gay one forget you even exist and-
:v: -rings them up, says nothing save- Have a good day! (its 9:30 pm)
:j:1 ....Hi?
:v: -throws receipt at her-
:j: :j: :what: ?????....bye!
:suicide:
And then I never saw them again.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

soupbone sal posted:

A guy told me he was gonna gently caress me up because we ran out of Marinara sauce. He stole a bag of chips and ran out.

Some of these are well-written, funny and moving but this one made me laugh aloud.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

:j: : Hey I want one of those fitbit thingies but I'm allergic to metal!
:v: : Uhhhh, how extreme of an allergy are we talking here? because those door handles you just opened with your bare hands to get into the store are.....completely.....metal...:stare:
:j: : *Slowly licking the poo poo out of a display fitbit*

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
Old hag walks into the electrical store where I work and asks: "Do you sell white paint ?"
I died.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

yogizh posted:

Old hag walks into the electrical store where I work and asks: "Do you sell white paint ?"
I died.

Do you??

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
There's a thread in BFC specifically for this topic.

soupbone sal
Oct 29, 2016

bad boy in the boy band posted:

There's a thread in BFC specifically for this topic.

Yes and it's for people who post in BFC. Have you got a problem?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
You came to the wrong neighborhood motherfucker.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Sjs00 posted:

9:30 PM, stores closes at 10. I'm the only one on register; recently graduated with no friends.
:v: -stands at register and see's three customers walking around-
:j:1 (Girl one, dressed for a club, tits out hair done up, makeup all over. Was in my class; photos leaked of her with semen all over her back. confirmed freak. Met her in 6th grade; maybe said three words in 6 years.
:j:2 (Girl two, some how dressed even sluttier than girl one; I've known her since 2nd grade
:what: (Guy; confirmed bisexual, not a threat at all. Known him for 6 plus years as well)
The problem with this is that I've never been part of the 'cool crowd' on account of owning a skateboard and having been caught breaking the law in middle; among other goony factors.
:v: (Oh poo poo ohshit ohshit)
:j: :j: :what: -they're here at the register; buying red solo cups-
:v: (Hey! They're probably gonna play that cool game everyone loves, beer pong! I should ask them!)
:v: (Wait, no. If I ask them they're just gonna look at me strangely and say that they were just buying these cups because they don't have any at their apartment that they all share you have no chance with any of them even the gay one forget you even exist and-
:v: -rings them up, says nothing save- Have a good day! (its 9:30 pm)
:j:1 ....Hi?
:v: -throws receipt at her-
:j: :j: :what: ?????....bye!
:suicide:
And then I never saw them again.

oofda

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I'm a customer

soupbone sal
Oct 29, 2016
Howdy, how ya doin'? :)

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
"The coffee holder on my computer isn't working."

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
:j: hey, sorry for bothering you but do you have this shirt in blue?

:chord: Haha you loving idiot. You piece of poo poo.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
*takes a big dump behind the mountain of xboxes on display*

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
more like fitbutt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

"Ummm, excuuuse me, but" (creaky whines become strained ululations) (slowly turns into a giant sad piglet)

"Hehe, whatever buddy" (plays punk rock heavy metal on fling v guitar) (music notes stroll across sunglasses)

"Mwwwwrrrggghhhh" (flutters away like a wet plastic bag)

Just another fuckin' day at Williams Sonoma

• Locked thread