Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
It's 1516 and colonialism hasn't fired yet. I've seen it not fire for a year or two, but has anyone seen it go this long before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tsyni posted:

It's 1516 and colonialism hasn't fired yet. I've seen it not fire for a year or two, but has anyone seen it go this long before?

Only if the early exploration nations have gotten really badly beaten up. In a Sweden game lately I saw Morocco annex most of Portugal and France & Aragon stomp Castile in the first couple decades, while England were being hosed up by Burgundy and the Wars of the Roses. Then Colonialism didn't fire until about 1510. But if the colonizers are doing okay I have no idea why it would take that long.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I decided to play a game as the Ottomans to have some fun stomping peoples faces. This will probably jinx it, but Mehmet II is still alive....I am at 990 Mil Points and the next miltech is still at a 100% penalty :psyduck:
I guess I will develop some of the provinces around Istanbul with extra manpower? Any other good uses for massive amounts of Mil MP?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You can use it to bump legitimacy now through Strengthen Government. But nah, just develop.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

skasion posted:

Only if the early exploration nations have gotten really badly beaten up. In a Sweden game lately I saw Morocco annex most of Portugal and France & Aragon stomp Castile in the first couple decades, while England were being hosed up by Burgundy and the Wars of the Roses. Then Colonialism didn't fire until about 1510. But if the colonizers are doing okay I have no idea why it would take that long.

Yeah, strange. Castile is at regular strength, England has most of GB, and only Portugal took a tiny beating, but they seem to have recovered. It's 1521 now, still no colonialism.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

You can use it to bump legitimacy now through Strengthen Government. But nah, just develop.
I forgot about that, thank you. Yeah I am buffing up the provinces around Istanbul so institutions spread to them faster once I seed the institution in Istanbul, since Istanbul i not 10% of my development and I need other provinces to have embraced the institutions.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Tsyni posted:

I've seen it take until 1521 before because none of the colonizers went exploration until later. It was a modded game though, so that's probably most of the reason why that happened.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

really queer Christmas posted:

I've seen it take until 1521 before because none of the colonizers went exploration until later. It was a modded game though, so that's probably most of the reason why that happened.

Yeah, Portugal and Castile both went Exploration, Expansion for their first two ideas. :iiam:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

The only nations who reliably take Exploration ideas as their first group are Portugal and Castille, occasionally England, France, and Brittany also take it but its also common for them to take it as a 2nd group.

Usually its because of player intervention but it isnt impossible that Portugal and Castille are the only ones who take the idea and they still dont meet the requirements for whatever reason. I've seen games where they end up losing their entire fleet in a war with England or the North Africans and not being able to rebuild it. Where one or both end up in PUs or in crippling debt their economic AI wont colonize or explore as much.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 minutes!

Allyn posted:

None of your conclusions are true for the vassal reconquest CB. Here I'm playing as QQ. Tabarestan and Ardalan are my vassals. (I consoled to set it up.) I declare war on Timurids, occupy them, transfer occupations to the appropriate vassals (Golestan and Kirmanshah respectively), and here's the peace screen:

Kirmanshah is the wargoal. It costs 0 dip to go to Ardalan. Golestan costs 21 and about 3 AE to go to Tabarestan. And yet they have a core on it. Here's the return core screen:

Where both cost 0 dip, and Golestan now gives 1 AE. (I didn't get a screenshot of it but Kermanshah's so low dev that it would've given < 1 AE on its own.) The vassal reconquest CB is absolutely tied to the whomever's core is the wargoal; any others are unjustified demands. Maybe it's different if you use a request CB for your own core but it's not exactly common that you'll be able to do that.

I very thoroughly studied these effects right around the time that Cossacks came out, and what I wrote is based on my observations from then. It's possible that things have changed since then

e: Another interesting thing to note, a long time ago Return Core wouldn't cost diplo for your own vassals during a reconquest war, but at some point it was changed so that Return Core was considered unjustified demands. Now it seems that that's been changed back!

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 4, 2016

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone got any pro strats or tips for muscovy->russia?

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Ithle01 posted:

First, try having a larger army so that your vassal's liberty desire goes down. Although I'm guessing you've already tried this so we'll go onto other options. You can placate them but that burns prestige you need to keep your PUs over Sweden and Norway so maybe not the best idea unless you have enormous amounts of prestige. A third option that is to boost your dip rep, but that's probably not going to happen. Lastly, there's a new option if you bought Rights of Man and that's to develop in them. Each time you develop you temporarily subtract 5 liberty desire. If you're going to annex them anyway just think of it as a small tax in dip points to keep a vassal happy while you eat them.

I don't have Rights of Man, so I guess I'll have to get more provinces and raise that land limit.
Aand since everyone are gearing up for the League Wars I'll probably have to punch eastwards. Spain, with a PU'd France, has joined the catholic side and there's no way in hell I'm touching that poop.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Zombiepop posted:

Anyone got any pro strats or tips for muscovy->russia?

Smother Novgorod in the cradle, coast to victory.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I forgot about that, thank you. Yeah I am buffing up the provinces around Istanbul so institutions spread to them faster once I seed the institution in Istanbul, since Istanbul i not 10% of my development and I need other provinces to have embraced the institutions.

Don't use Istanbul for fostering institutions. Once you get above 30 starting development, the total cost starts to skyrocket.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Apparently the rules changed sometime in the last year, and you should always use Return Core. I ran some tests with the following setup

Burgundy with Vassals Dauphine (located in Lyonnais) and Champagne (located in Nemours)
Dauphine has core on province Dauphine, owned by France
Champagne has core on province Champagne, owned by France
Burgundy has core on Bourbon, owned by France

If Burgundy declares a reconquest war for Bourbon and transfers occupation ownership of Dauphine and Champagne, AE costs are
Champagne - 20
Dauphine - 14
Bourbon - 4
Return Core Champagne - 5
Return Core Dauphine - 3

If Burgundy declares a reconquest war for Champagne, AE costs are:
Champagne - 5
Dauphine - 14
Bourbon - 4
Return Core Dauphine - 3

This is different than how things used to work, so I guess the current rules are just

1) Declare a Reconquest CB, using either your own Reconquest CB or a vassal's
2) Use Return Core for your vassals' cores

It's certainly a lot easier doing things this way than having to mess around with transferring ownership (which you still need to make effective use of a vassal's claims, I'm pretty sure)

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

So how exactly does it work when you make a nation break an alliance as part of a peace treaty? I have hundreds of hours in this game and I still don't really get it. The timer before nations can re-ally seems like it's usually shorter than the truce timer, making it kind of pointless. Is there documentation on this anywhere? Is the time limit the same or different if you use the Great Power break alliance action as opposed to the peace treaty one?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's a 10 year period where they can't re-ally. So if you cut a >66WS peace deal, they can ally again before your truce is out.

Not super sure about the Great Power Break Alliance option, but I think it makes a 5 year truce.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't use Istanbul for fostering institutions. Once you get above 30 starting development, the total cost starts to skyrocket.
I used to to spawn the Renaissance, I was thinking of using Hudanivendigar to spawn Colonialism next, since that is so close to Istanbul, a port, and next to some other provinces that I am planning on developing. Based on what you know, is there a better place to do it?

PittTheElder posted:

Not super sure about the Great Power Break Alliance option, but I think it makes a 5 year truce.
It is 10 year truce between you and the country that was forced to break the alliance. I have been using it force a third country to break their alliance with the country that I want to target.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
How does the game choose to spawn an institution when there's multiple countries that meet the requirements?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation

uPen posted:

How does the game choose to spawn an institution when there's multiple countries that meet the requirements?

It seems like RNG to me but could be other factors

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I know colonialism has a higher chance to spawn based on how many coastal provinces you have. I imagine some of the others have similar factors; maybe manufactures increases in chance based on how many you've built and so on.

Pretty certain at least that it rolls it by provinces, not just tags, so if you're a bigger nation you'll have a better shot at getting it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm pretty sure I remember someone saying that Colonialism got changed so that it is more likely to spawn in Europe. I don't remember who said it or what their source was.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

QuarkJets posted:

Apparently the rules changed sometime in the last year, and you should always use Return Core. I ran some tests with the following setup

Burgundy with Vassals Dauphine (located in Lyonnais) and Champagne (located in Nemours)
Dauphine has core on province Dauphine, owned by France
Champagne has core on province Champagne, owned by France
Burgundy has core on Bourbon, owned by France

If Burgundy declares a reconquest war for Bourbon and transfers occupation ownership of Dauphine and Champagne, AE costs are
Champagne - 20
Dauphine - 14
Bourbon - 4
Return Core Dauphine - 3

If Burgundy declares a reconquest war for Champagne, AE costs are:
Champagne - 5
Dauphine - 14
Bourbon - 4
Return Core Dauphine - 3

This is different than how things used to work, so I guess the current rules are just

1) Declare a Reconquest CB, using either your own Reconquest CB or a vassal's
2) Use Return Core for your vassals' cores

It's certainly a lot easier doing things this way than having to mess around with transferring ownership (which you still need to make effective use of a vassal's claims, I'm pretty sure)

Interesting that it changed, especially to something a little weirder. There's definitely something janky going on though. I just DoW'd the Ottomans for a couple of Wallachia's cores. Warscore to cede provinces is 11, with 4 AE. To return the cores, it's 13 warscore and 6 AE :psyduck: They are both at 75% autonomy because they'd not yet cored them, so I really do think ceding provinces takes that into account and return core doesn't. I don't know what else would cause this discrepancy.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I'm pretty sure I remember someone saying that Colonialism got changed so that it is more likely to spawn in Europe. I don't remember who said it or what their source was.

I vaguely remember reading that from either a dev diary or a pdox dev's twitter and then paraphrasing it here. It must be true. :v:

The way it was changed is that you need to have a port in your home state so Castille (with Madrid being in the center of the country) cannot spawn Colonialism anymore. I think only England and Portugal would be able to unless the player is colonizing as Brittany or something. I was Mali and despite being the only person with new world colonies and all of the checkmarks ticked off it waited four years for England to put down it's first colony and immediately awarded it to them. :smith:

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 4, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Odobenidae posted:

The way it was changed is that you need to have a port in your home state so Castille (with Madrid being in the center of the country) cannot spawn Colonialism anymore. I think only England and Portugal would be able to unless the player is colonizing as Brittany or something. I was Mali and despite being the only person with new world colonies and all of the checkmarks ticked off it waited four years for England to put down it's first colony and immediately awarded it to them. :smith:

I thought that too, I mean the tool-tip seems to indicate that, but in my game it just spawned in Castile's Granada...so...who knows.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Welp then I wasted 200 admin moving my capital to the coast for no reason. :v:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

I vaguely remember reading that from either a dev diary or a pdox dev's twitter and then paraphrasing it here. It must be true. :v:

I've seen it spawn in Castilian SevilleCadiz, in what I'm 90% sure was a 1.19 game.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 4, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I used to to spawn the Renaissance, I was thinking of using Hudanivendigar to spawn Colonialism next, since that is so close to Istanbul, a port, and next to some other provinces that I am planning on developing. Based on what you know, is there a better place to do it?

Most institutions should spread to you fairly quickly so I don't think it's really worth it to actively develop provinces just for it. Only do it if you're at the MP cap and you've got nothing else to spend it on. As for province suggestions, the gold mine in Kosovo is always a good choice.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Odobenidae posted:

That's not true. In my current game as Sweden, fully patched and all expansion, colonialism spawned in Cadiz.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You can make a LOT of money raiding the coasts of The Netherlands and Northern Germany (sailors too but who cares?). :stare:

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

I decided to play a game as the Ottomans to have some fun stomping peoples faces. This will probably jinx it, but Mehmet II is still alive....I am at 990 Mil Points and the next miltech is still at a 100% penalty :psyduck:
I guess I will develop some of the provinces around Istanbul with extra manpower? Any other good uses for massive amounts of Mil MP?

If you're floating a ton of military points and you plan to go to war soon, just buy 5 generals and keep the best ones. It's not as permanent an advantage but having a few good generals can make wars a lot smoother, especially if they get some siege pips.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I finally managed to ally France and soon my "mighty" Morocco will reclaim southern Iberia. Just need to grow until I have enough soldiers and manpower to actually succeed.

The new and improved Ireland looks neat, maybe they want an invasion?

:toot:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Is the Shogunate system still all hosed up? Last time I checked some really weird poo poo could happen over there since it obviously didn't get well integrated with some of the recent diplomacy changes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Is the Shogunate system still all hosed up? Last time I checked some really weird poo poo could happen over there since it obviously didn't get well integrated with some of the recent diplomacy changes.

Japan in general is almost unplayable. The special CBs are completely hosed. They're supposed to allow annexation at any size, but they don't, and all territorial demands count as unjustified so they incur extra AE and cost diplo points. If left on their own, the daimyos fall into an endless cycle of declaring war on the emperor, and then whichever side wins only demands money. The special events and missions haven't been updated since EU3.

I'm really hoping for Divine Wind 2.0 at some point.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

:sad: I would like to play a Daimyo game since I haven't done one since shortly after Japan got its provinces reworked which was god drat forever ago.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i did a successful chrysanthemum throne a few weeks ago. the worst part was the brown daimyo would keep declaring war for the shogunate and we would stomp japan + the other daimyo but then yeah he would peace out and we'd all be subjects still.

eventually when i managed to declare before him i couldn't figure out how the shogunate was supposed to be passed in the peace deal so i liberated all the daimyo and fully annexed japan a few years later. weird war

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hm.

:ohdear:

Edit: although by the ledger maybe they've been bugged and sitting there for a while. Ottomanpower is at zero. :laffo:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 4, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, I don't know how a daimyo is supposed to become the shogun, and I suspect that functionality is completely broken.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Hm.

:ohdear:

Edit: although by the ledger maybe they've been bugged and sitting there for a while. Ottomanpower is at zero. :laffo:
That would terrify me, too.

Is there an achievement tied to Kaffa that I am forgetting about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

That would terrify me, too.

Is there an achievement tied to Kaffa that I am forgetting about?

Doing the Coptic poo poo without playing as easy rear end Ethiopia?

• Locked thread