Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Somebody please tell me that my son will not die of dehydration before he ends this sippy cup protest. Jesus. He refuses to drink milk out of it, and will only drink juice after hours and hours of protesting.

I know he'll drink before it comes to that but gently caress, these are some serious tantrums. Saw it suggested online a few times to give him a decision so we filled a bottle with water and that really set him off. Gotta stay strong I guess, he will not break me this time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Get the special paper or books and water markers, so as they write with the water marker the picture shows up. Mine loves that.

We usually just gave him a mechanical pecil to draw with at that age though, his coloring was just scribbling on the pictures anyway and he couldnt figure out how to apply enough pressure for crayons

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Mine refuses to drink most anything out of a sippy cup. Will he drink out of a regular cup or is he simply not thirsty? If he is just not thirsty you dont have to worry, most people seriously overestimate how much water kids actually need.

Just make sure he can get it whe he wants it and call it a day

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

GlyphGryph posted:

It is actuly illegal for daycare to let kids fo outside if it is under like 40 degrees here

It's not a law but they draw the line at 5F here for the youngest daycare class that my kids are part of. Older kids can go out in colder temps.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
We've started using a Grow Up Cup and it's been going fairly well.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

Get the special paper or books and water markers, so as they write with the water marker the picture shows up. Mine loves that.

We usually just gave him a mechanical pecil to draw with at that age though, his coloring was just scribbling on the pictures anyway and he couldnt figure out how to apply enough pressure for crayons

Cool, thanks! We ran into the same issue with crayons. Never even thought about pencils!

Cheesus posted:

We've started using a Grow Up Cup and it's been going fairly well.

Similarly, we use a non-spill munchkin miracle cup: https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Mir...HWVNW3TSMN&th=1 took him a second to figure it out, but he got it down quickly enough. He absolutely hated normal sippy cups and refused to use them at all.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Another who's little person refused sippy cups of all shapes and sizes.

We just went with either normal plastic cups (with his favourite characters) at home, then for out and about (and daycare) had both this http://www.tommeetippee.com.au/product/active-tipper-350ml/ and this http://www.tommeetippee.com.au/product/two-stage-drinker-400ml/

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
We found metal cups on Amazon called caveman cups as a cup option.

Premium Stainless Steel Kid Cups https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012JUL2ZK/

Alternatively, Kiki Pura is an alternative to sippy cups that I found works well, the straw top made all the difference. Pura Kiki 11 oz Stainless Steel Straw Cup with Silicone Sleeve, Green https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019JBA4G0/

For coloring/etc, I find our kid loves the Buddha board sometimes. For the rest of the "sometimes" we got her a kids art easel with a bunch of paper and crayons and she goes to town on it, mostly. Far more often than Buddha board. We also plop her in her Stokke and let her color on giant art paper in the kitchen, too. Works well to go from letting them color to asking them what they drew when they start talking, as it becomes more like a story book for them.

I had found some crayons that were the right size and super easy to clean. Honeysticks 100% Pure Beeswax Crayons (12 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GSY9MD2/ .

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

best bale posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for "mess-free" painting/coloring or painting with water for a 14 month old?
I can't exactly vouch for this yet since it's a christmas present, but there's stuff like this; http://uk.tomy.com/products/aquadoodle-classic-colour

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Forgive me if this is a commonly discussed issue here, but I had to get some opinions.

My wife posted on Facebook about forgetting to move the Elf on the Shelf before she went to bed. Other parents who have done the same and some who have come up with little reminder tricks so they don't forget it also posted. My wife's cousin replied along the lines of, "Oh no I've got kids who still believe and read Facebook."

The ages? The youngest is six. No problem there, he's not too old to indulge that fantasy and he almost certainly isn't reading Facebook. The oldest is 16, no problem there. The "kids" in question? 13 and 11.

I know there is no magic number for developmental milestones, but usually there's a zone where you feel safe drawing a line. I thought 11 and 13 were nested safely in that zone.

So my question is, are my wife and I insensitive or crazy? What age would you feel pretty damned safe discussing such an issue without fear of revealing the horrible truth?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised if the kids were lying and really don't believe in santa. I lied all the time to my mom about things I believed or was knowledgeable about because it was easier.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Alterian posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the kids were lying and really don't believe in santa. I lied all the time to my mom about things I believed or was knowledgeable about because it was easier.

My wife suggested that possibility; neither of the kids are prodigies, but they aren't complete morons either.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Facebook requires users to be at least 13 years of age in it's TOS, for one. It's like people who get upset about "spoilers" for 10 year old movies/shows/books. I can't speak to the developmental stuff but when I was 11-13 any kids still believing in Santa would've been disabused of that notion right quick, and probably mercilessly teased. It's not your job to censure your own Facebook for other people's kids, that's their parents job.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

sudont posted:

Facebook requires users to be at least 13 years of age in it's TOS, for one. It's like people who get upset about "spoilers" for 10 year old movies/shows/books. I can't speak to the developmental stuff but when I was 11-13 any kids still believing in Santa would've been disabused of that notion right quick, and probably mercilessly teased. It's not your job to censure your own Facebook for other people's kids, that's their parents job.

This a million time. If you don't keep your kids from reading facebook then they'll read stuff you don't want them to read on facebook. Learning that santa isn,t real and poo poo like that isn't the worst they'll see anyway.

Also 11-13 years old seems really really old not to know santa is made up and elf on the shelf is your parents caving in on you being so sad you're the only one in your pre-school group not having an elf at home.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Thanks for the replies. And just to point something out, although I'm sure they believe (allegedly) in Santa, this specifically was about the Elf on the Shelf, which means they believe that a felt and plastic elf doll runs around their home at nights in the month of December.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

And I was just informed it's only the 13 year old that is at issue. Christ.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Sigh, another previously unreachable place has now been made reachable.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
We've had some parents on Facebook get annoyed at us because we don't believe in doing that whole Elf on a Shelf thing. :shrug:

Granted, our son is only 9 months old right now but I think saying Santa is watching is more than enough for a few years until he realizes the truth. I'd rather teach him to be good not because someone's watching but because it's the right thing to do. :shrug:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

People keep buying us elves sice we "dont have one yet" so we might just have to put one up for a photo shoot to get them off our back. Personally, if I am going to be telling my son anything is running around the house after he goes to bed its gonna have to be a lot more monstrous than an elf.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

GlyphGryph posted:

People keep buying us elves sice we "dont have one yet" so we might just have to put one up for a photo shoot to get them off our back. Personally, if I am going to be telling my son anything is running around the house after he goes to bed its gonna have to be a lot more monstrous than an elf.

"Sorry son, the elf got eaten by the Elder being that roams the halls at nigiht" :v:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

It's Yule Lads or nothing in my house :colbert:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Are Shelf Elfs a regional thing? I am in new england, I only heard about them a couple years ago and I don't think I know anyone who actually does it. The whole thing just seems weird and strange to me. Don't kids ever try to murder the elf to prevent it reporting that they hit their sister or whatever?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Ashcans posted:

Are Shelf Elfs a regional thing? I am in new england, I only heard about them a couple years ago and I don't think I know anyone who actually does it. The whole thing just seems weird and strange to me. Don't kids ever try to murder the elf to prevent it reporting that they hit their sister or whatever?

I think the elf just does mischief during the night and you have to clean up the mess in the morning and the kid thinks it's funny.

I really hate that trend and I hope we don't cave in and start doing it once my son is old enough to have friends that all have an elf at home and "dad can we catch one or life is super unfair".

I'm in Quebec and that stupid trend started a few years ago.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Ashcans posted:

I'm in the UK and I'd heard about it previously in this thread but more as a "there's an elf in your room spying on your every move and he's going to be reporting everything back to Santa" thing which was generally considered to be a bit off.

This new trend of having an elf that you have to pose and then talk about on facebook and share hilarious photos of the elf sodomising a Barbie is doing the rounds here but it's the first year it's been a thing I've noticed in the UK (and the authoritarian aspect is lacking).

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

We don't do any of the Santa is watching you stuff because it's creepy to me (and to several kids that I know that got kinda freaked out by it) and because I want my kid to behave for reasons other than 'fat jolly guy watches you and decides if you are good enough.'

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Jasper just turned 4. His perception of Santa is sort of hilarious. I think he thinks Santa is more like some sort of demigod you need to appease by having an appropriate shrine and if Santa is appeased he will bring you presents.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Ashcans posted:

I'm not Jewish but the Mensch on a Bench seems way less weird and creepy to me.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 5, 2016

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Alterian posted:

Jasper just turned 4. His perception of Santa is sort of hilarious. I think he thinks Santa is more like some sort of demigod you need to appease by having an appropriate shrine and if Santa is appeased he will bring you presents.

He's not wrong.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I've been trying to keep a very light touch on Santa (to be honest, I would have been 100% fine with not even bothering, but my wife likes Santa). Not making him into some omnipresent deity or something, but rather as just happening to be the person who brings gifts to Nice children on Christmas. My planned strategy for basically any piercing Santa questions is "well, what do you think?" along with possibly some implying hints like "well, you know how adults can send emails and text messages to people..."

The childhood magic of Santa Claus isn't particularly hard to take hold on children, I've noticed. It kind of reminds me of how easy it is for us humans to deceive ourselves into believing what we want to believe without really having any evidence.

As for Elf on a Shelf, I have thankfully been largely insulated from it. I just don't get the whole thing, but I also don't really get a lot of things that a certain segment of parents seem to think is "cute".

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
My 3 year old asked earlier today who was going to dress up as Santa for Christmas, me or daddy, We're not really into big lies like Santa and the tooth fairy at our house, we're all about the little lies - tricking her into believing that she can change the traffic lights by doing magic gestures and that grownups can make tunnels appear by clapping their hands (I'm enjoying this one while it lasts, I'll get busted as soon as she's not rearfacing in the car anymore).

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Ashcans posted:

The Elf on the Shelf is 100% a marketing gimmick and in no way a real trend or tradition. I'm pretty sure it's all linked back to the children's book which was published in the mid 2000s. If I recall correctly, the book was sold in a box with the titular elf. Prior to that, it wasn't a thing at all.

Feel free to ruin The Elf for everyone on Facebook. You're performing a duty to your country.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
I hate elf on a shelf so very much. Somehow the concept of "toys cheekily loving poo poo up while you're asleep" has expanded to November and you're supposed to show dinosaurs being naughty? gently caress if I know why "Dinovember" needs a triceratops walking through flour, but both of those things are total no-gos.

We don't do santa at all either, but since my daughter is 2 she doesn't really give a poo poo either way. Honestly, the christmas tree is basically her version of santa and she says good morning/night to it every day. We had to nip hugging it in the bud, but if she could, she'd cuddle the poo poo out of that sparkly fucker.

zeldadude posted:

Somebody please tell me that my son will not die of dehydration before he ends this sippy cup protest. Jesus. He refuses to drink milk out of it, and will only drink juice after hours and hours of protesting.

I know he'll drink before it comes to that but gently caress, these are some serious tantrums. Saw it suggested online a few times to give him a decision so we filled a bottle with water and that really set him off. Gotta stay strong I guess, he will not break me this time!

We never did sippy cups for similar total refusal reasons. Those cheap take and toss straw cups worked great at teaching her how to use a straw and from there we introduced leak proof straw cups and the munchkin 360/spoutless cups.

1up fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 5, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Oh wow I guess this is that language explosion thing I have heard referenced. i cant believe how fast he is learning new words

Getting hard to keep up on the asl but he is still pronouncing them terrible so i need it to understand him!

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

LogisticEarth posted:

The Elf on the Shelf is 100% a marketing gimmick and in no way a real trend or tradition. I'm pretty sure it's all linked back to the children's book which was published in the mid 2000s. If I recall correctly, the book was sold in a box with the titular elf. Prior to that, it wasn't a thing at all.

Yep.

Thanks, capitalism!

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Ashcans posted:

It's new to me as well. My oldest is six and I know we didn't have it planned before he was around. I'd never heard of it until my wife brought it up. The fun of it (and the source of the issues with the dipshit parent) is that each night in December after the kids go to bed, you move the elf somewhere else in the house so the kids have to find him in the morning, but you get to have a bit of fun setting up scenarios. Last night we tied some yarn between two light fixtures and hung him in the middle like he was stuck on a zip line. We've had him dangling from ceiling fans, leading a parade of my son's dinosaurs, etc.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

1up posted:

I hate elf on a shelf so very much. Somehow the concept of "toys cheekily loving poo poo up while you're asleep" has expanded to November and you're supposed to show dinosaurs being naughty? gently caress if I know why "Dinovember" needs a triceratops walking through flour, but both of those things are total no-gos.

Hadn't heard of the dino one. Probably better that way, the wife might have jumped on that too, especially since he's a dinosaur nut.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I am a fairly no-nonsense kind of mom. I always told my kids that Santa was an operative for mom and dad, he was an extra pair of eyes to keep an eye on them during school or at the store or wherever a Santa might pop up. I never gave them presents from "Santa" and while I've not prevented them from watching all the normal Christmas movies and stuff about Santa's workshop and everything, I've never gone out of my way to perpetuate any of the ideas. We have no fireplace to hang stockings, we don't leave cookies and milk out on Christmas Eve, I guess I am a bummer mom.

The holidays are a stressful time around here. I have 3 birthdays within 5 weeks of each other (son around Thanksgiving, daughter on New Year's Eve and husband the day after Christmas) as well as birthdays for my mother and my father-in-law, along with all the regular Holiday stuff. Anything I can do to make my nightmare season a little easier I have embraced wholeheartedly. I also remember the moment from my childhood when I realized Santa's handwriting was the same terrible scrawl as my mother's, and I don't really want to put that kind of crushing disappointment on my kids.

I have a few gold coins for when my kids start losing their teeth. We'll probably indulge them a bit with that, but I refuse to do all the extra stuff like fancy letters from the tooth fairy.

I did a fair amount of paying attention to parenting conversations before I had kids, and I kind of mentally logged all the little childhood moments people talked about. Everything from not helping their kid wipe during potty training and the kid ending up with an impacted bowel, to various kids' reactions to learning about Santa Claus (among other fictional childhood characters). I'm trying to learn from their mistakes, but I wonder if I am leaning too far in the opposite direction. I just don't have time to do dishes or shower some days, I can't see myself setting aside time to be clever with an Elf.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I have an 11 month old that is a very active crawler and cruiser/occasional walker. We just got him a snow suit and we need some sort of shoe/boot to go with it. I just took a flyer on a random pair of fairly similar to this:
http://imgur.com/a/4RRdA

He starts crawling and just drags his foot out of the boot. Any suggestions on some sort of cold weather appropriate footwear that he won't immediate drag off?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
My loving mom, with her ridiculous volume of tutoring kids that she refuses to turn away and keeps tutoring them even when they're sick WITHOUT TELLING ME loving got me sick. If this passes on to my 4 month old, I'm banning all visits until she restricts her loving students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Rurutia posted:

My loving mom, with her ridiculous volume of tutoring kids that she refuses to turn away and keeps tutoring them even when they're sick WITHOUT TELLING ME loving got me sick. If this passes on to my 4 month old, I'm banning all visits until she restricts her loving students.

"Have a holly, jolly Christmas, and in case you didn't hear..." :)