Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The thing is there ARE grey people. Tombstone, as noted. Which makes it even more confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

NorgLyle posted:

As a young (and it should probably be noted: super white) comic reader, it never even occurred to me that Asp' s coloration was anything other than a part of her powers. Yikes.

I mean there are green people and purple people, so why not slate gray?

It's not just you, I always thought she was gray because she was Atlantean or something.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Not sure if this qualifies, but I got a friend the new Space Ghost trade for my friend groups' Secret Santa, and they showed me this

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I think Tombstone is an African-American albino (or has some sort of weird defect that doesn't quite make him a capital-M Mutant; I can't look it up now but I remember his childhood with Joe Robertson being a big deal for several years' worth of stories). So that just confuses matters all the more.

I thought Asp's gray skin was "part of her deal" for a while, too, but I know I read other Marvel comics in which the Middle Eastern types were also gray, at which point I sort of got it. Like, I don't think gray skin is a particularly weird thing in a universe full of strangeness, but if it's intended to reflect something in real life, then, well.

Someone upthread mentioned the Gabe Jones coloring issue in an old SHIELD story in Strange Tales. I remember that, too, but he seemed almost purplish, in my memory, so I think that may have been an accident.

There was a letter published in an issue of Captain America during the infamous Secret Empire arc (of all things) in which a writer asks about the skin coloring issue, and gets a fairly lengthy response. The scan I have seems to have a line from the original letter digitally erased, though, and I don't have an original copy against which to compare it, but they do mention the limitations of the four-color process.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
apropos to the present conversation, I just read today an old issue of Jonah Hex from the seventies which had a number of African-American characters in it (most of that story's cast in fact), and every single one of them was also slate-gray. It was weird, because issues before it wouldn't color that ethnicity that way.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The colour thing that I always noticed was how in the Bob Latin and David Michellene Iron-man stories from the 80's, Tony Stark was made to look like his hair had blue highlights.
That's the one I always found weird.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think that's intended to imply it's shiny and show reflection of light.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Question IRL posted:

The colour thing that I always noticed was how in the Bob Latin and David Michellene Iron-man stories from the 80's, Tony Stark was made to look like his hair had blue highlights.

Superman was doing that all the way back in the day. That's an extremely old trick to show definition in black hair with a very limited palette.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I don't know if I like Supermans eyeroll at Batman chastising him or the comment about the recipe the most

McCloud fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 4, 2016

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Harbinger #15 and #16. Torque is sort of a frail-Steve-Rogers-into-mighty-Captain-America type if Steve Rogers was less of a selfless idealist and more of a complete tool over-saturated by toxic masculinity. He's still a good guy, but... not great at comforting his teammates.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Awwww that's sweet.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

McCloud posted:

I don't know if I like Supermans eyeroll at Batman chastising him or the comment about the recipe the most

All that I can think of is that Wonder Woman apparently bakes for the team.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Commenting on someone's cooking is fraught enough without them having a magical truth rope.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol, they are taking golden age atom along while wonder woman stays at home to do needlework

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

lol, they are taking golden age atom along while wonder woman stays at home to do needlework

Excuse me he is very short but also punches.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

To be fair, they also left Batman and Superman behind because they were only honourary members at the time. They just handled them in a far less sexist way.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

The Question IRL posted:

Holy poo poo I thought it was just me. It confused the hell out of 10 year old me as to why Tony had seemingly bright blue hair in some panels and nobody ever reacted to it.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Nova's new book definitely started on a higher note than his last series.

Nova #1

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Who is King Stripey-Weiner?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Who is King Stripey-Weiner?

Baron Zemo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Scorpion looks like a Bob Hope caricature.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
In fact he looks like a recolourized Bob hope comic. The rapey one.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bunnyofdoom posted:

In fact he looks like a recolourized Bob hope comic. The rapey one.

The 50s had bad taste.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Oh cool. lovely seanbaby photoshops . Definitive proof.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Wait, around the middle. Is that the doctor who didn't want to cure cancer, he wanted to turn people into dinosaurs?

That's the only pterodactyl bad guy I can think of.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cleretic posted:

Wait, around the middle. Is that the doctor who didn't want to cure cancer, he wanted to turn people into dinosaurs?

Sauron. (Yes, the same name as the Lord of the Rings guy.)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Literally named himself after the Lord of the Rings guy.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Whatever, it makes more sense for a dinosaur person to be named that anyways.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Cleretic posted:

Compromise. Make something that cures cancer, but turns you into a sick rear end dino.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ignite Memories posted:

Whatever, it makes more sense for a dinosaur person to be named that anyways.

Yah, he's a pterodactyl type thing, right? Soar-On!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's pronounced Sow-ron though.
:goonsay:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ghostlight posted:

Nah.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sauron is no Dinah Soar.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ghostlight posted:

And to make this perfectly clear, "sow" in this case rhymes with bow.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nova is great. Read Nova.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lobok posted:

And to make this perfectly clear, "sow" in this case rhymes with bow.

:argh:

X-O posted:

Nova is great. Read Nova.

I'm kind of lost here regarding Nova. Who's in the suit now?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sam. Richard is back as well, the book co-stars both of them.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

X-O posted:

Sam. Richard is back as well, the book co-stars both of them.

How did he get back?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

prefect posted:

How did he get back?

They didnt explain yet.
But the ending heavily implies that he's still linked to the Cancerverse in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
"I can't wait until you to get global warming"

Unfortunate.