Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Chexoid posted:

https://twitter.com/bnicholsonsmith/status/805498181681291264

someone who is good at free agency help me budget this. my lineup is dying.

Spend less on Russell Martin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Paul Zuvella posted:

Spend less on Russell Martin

No.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

John Schuerholz and Bud Selig elected to Hall

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
In now seemingly pointless Shohei Otani news It looks like he will be signing a contract extension with Nippon Ham Fighters today. He is set to become the highest paid 5th year player in Japanese Pro history. The estimates are around 270 million Yen ($2.39 million). This is near what Darvish got in his 5th year in 2009.

Edit=
Otani's pay thus far:
▽2013年
$150,000
投手:13 Games、3W 0L、ERA4.23
打者:77 Games、AVG.238(189 AB 45hits)、3HR、20RBIs

▽2014年
$300,000
投手:24Games、11W 4L、ERA 2.61
打者:87Games、AVG.274(212AB 58Hits)、10HR、31RBIs

▽2015年
$1,000,000
投手:22Game、15W 5L、ERA 2.24
打者:70Games、AVG .202(109AB 22Hits)、5HR、17RBIs

▽2016年
$2,000,000
投手:21Games、10W 4L 1Hold、ERA 1.86
打者:104Games AVG.322(323AB 104Hits )、22HR、67RBI

Edit2
From what I been reading it seems pay is stat based. So must be some arbitration like system. But Otain being a two way player might break it and he could get $4 million. but that is not likely. Other web sites are saying that he is taking a hit because he didn't get as many win as last year.

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 5, 2016

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Yankees are close to a deal with Matt Holliday. Holliday is probably going to DH, so no catching balls with his dick

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Uhhhh who is gonna sign Edwin?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
Come home Edwin!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Holliday can also spell someone it they need a day off in the outfield. Depends on the money really

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

ZenVulgarity posted:

Holliday can also spell someone it they need a day off in the outfield. Depends on the money really

I like the move but I'm concerned that Holliday will fall off a cliff offensively. he's 37 and declined some last year. the lineup is also really right-handed right now too

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chexoid posted:

I can't think of a team outside of the Jays or Texas.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Chexoid posted:

Colorado, if they don't sign Trumbo

dinger city :getin:

e: also, you Yankee fan lot better treat Matt well :colbert:

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 5, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I could see royals making him an offer if they still think the playoff window is open

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Carlosologist posted:

I like the move but I'm concerned that Holliday will fall off a cliff offensively. he's 37 and declined some last year. the lineup is also really right-handed right now too

2015 was the more concerning year than 2016 and if he's primarily DHing his quad shouldn't be as much of a risk. A broken thumb isn't cause for concern regarding age-related decreased production. His power has declined a bit but he's a hulking monstrosity of a hitter who can still do this:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_2BjaALp7TQ

Pretty sure that was last year.

Also this:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Lw7cKnHUHUQ

I know that was last year, his first AB after coming off the DL with the broken thumb, really earlier than he should've been brought off so he could have a send off.

He's a quintessential Hall of Very Good player and I want good things for him as his career winds down. Have some links about him being awesome both on the field and off.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb-matt-holliday-st-louis-cardinals/
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...1b778b25bc.html

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Fowler is such a perfect, obvious fit for the Jays that I'm already preparing to vomit when they get Jay Bruce, and someone at Sportsnet writes an article called "Ezequiel Carrera: Due for a breakout?"

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Chexoid posted:

Fowler is such a perfect, obvious fit for the Jays that I'm already preparing to vomit when they get Jay Bruce, and someone at Sportsnet writes an article called "Ezequiel Carrera: Due for a breakout?"

As a fervent Cardinals fan, please have Fowler sign with the Jays. I think the trade market's better for the Cards than the free agent market this year.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chexoid posted:

I honestly think they're going to go hard after Adam Eaton.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

e: this is not a thread about basketball

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Otani getting posted after the next season.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

And he will be the best RP/LF the Cubs have had since Travis Wood

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

MLB Trade Rumors Agrees!

Nippon Ham Fighters Planning to Post Shohei Otani-After-2017 Season

I am still working on an Otani mega post during my lunch breaks. More the 50% done with the Power Point he received in High School from Nippon Ham Fighters.

Preview:

Table of Contents
(1) Otani Shohei's Dream Review
-1 Otani's Goals Comparisons
-2 Road to the Top Level of the MLB

(2) The Current State of Japanese And Koreans in the Majors
-1 Japanese in the Majors
-2 Japanese Players in the Major League Career Summery
-3 The State of Korean Players entering the Major Leagues
-4 Korean Major Leaguers who Entered in High School ⇒ Results
-5 Korean Players in the Major League Career Summery
-6 List of Challenges to the Japanese Amateur Entering the MLB
-7 Conclusions of Japanese and Koreans Succeeding in the Majors

(3) Japan Sports Overseas Expansion Trends by Sport
-1 Japan Sports Overseas Expansion Disparity
-2 Japan Sports Overseas Expansion Trends + Indicators
♦;Sport by Sport Radar Charts
-3 Sport Where Overseas Expansion is Suitable for Youth
-4 Suitability by Sport for Overseas Expansion for Youth

(4) The Method For Japanese Athletes to Succeed in Sports
-1 Japan Soccer Overseas Transfer Athletes Career Summery
-2 Typical Japanese Training Regiment
-3 Not "Global" but "International" Sports
♦Conclusion ♦Closing Remarks

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/805631926207938560

I love how every time there's nobody worthwhile on the FA market is when Loria decides to open his checkbook.

Why the hell are we looking to spend that much money on a closer plus losing yet another draft pick???? This team is not close to contending, not with this rotation

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Everybody knows the Marlins are just a stopgap for players with big contracts. Loria signs them to a huge contact, everyone shits themselves, go all in for one World Series, and then have a firesale.

It's why Pujols didn't sign with them because Loria refused a no-trade clause because everyone knew what he was doing by going after him and Reyes.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/805631926207938560

I love how every time there's nobody worthwhile on the FA market is when Loria decides to open his checkbook.

Why the hell are we looking to spend that much money on a closer plus losing yet another draft pick???? This team is not close to contending, not with this rotation

Your rotation isn't that bad. At least you've got........ oh. :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hello friends, just a reminder that voting for the SAS MLB Hall of Fame is open until the end of the month. We've gotten a nice influx of ballots to start but I'd sure like to at least match last year's total of 103!

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
The Jays did a thing!

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/805783935728881664

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

That sure seems like a lot of clams for Steve Pearce

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

gently caress; I am a big Pearce fan :(

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya that's fine but bye bye Edwin.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

the Blue Jays are going to be so much more boring next year

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

the Blue Jays are going to be so much more boring next year

They'll be getting Rowdy by July.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Barely any interest in Trumbo, Carter, Edwin. The market really doesn't care about dingers anymore, showing how far we have moved from the light of God.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Astros are still looking to add a TOR arm, so they're exploring the trade market for.... Collin McHugh and Evan Gattis

:geno:

They've also apparently told clubs that Bregman is untouchable which yes I know is meaningless if the right deal comes along but I'm glad of it anyway unless it's something like a 1 for 1 for Sale

Chexoid posted:

Barely any interest in Trumbo, Carter, Edwin. The market really doesn't care about dingers anymore, showing how far we have moved from the light of God.

Going from "The Astros have signed EE for 5/115" to "Wait that was wrong, nevermind" to "The Astros have signed Carlos Beltran for one year at 16" was such a nutshot

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 5, 2016

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Seeing reports that the Nats are in on both McCutchen and Sale. They don't have enough prospects to get both unless they deal Turner, right?

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I feel pretty confident that the arrangers will sign E3 since nobody else seems remotely interested.

*trades for billy hamilton*

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

Seeing reports that the Nats are in on both McCutchen and Sale. They don't have enough prospects to get both unless they deal Turner, right?

It's definitely going to end up one or the other. There's just no way. My feeds are full of "Nats pursuing Sale/McCutchen without Turner or Robles!" but that isn't going to realistically fly.

I do think it'll be McCutchen though, in a package without Turner.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think Brian Dozier is going to be on another team by the end of the Winter Meetings. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

One year of Holliday to be dh? I like that.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

IcePhoenix posted:

I think Brian Dozier is going to be on another team by the end of the Winter Meetings. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this.

I'd like to see this cause then it'd mean somebody besides the Mariners will have made a trade and boy is DiPoto making me anxious with near-daily moves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ZenVulgarity posted:

One year of Holliday to be dh? I like that.

At worst it's a *shrug* type of thing. It's good to have another good clubhouse guy too, given that the team is going to be so many kids next year.

• Locked thread