Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sickening posted:

1. Not understanding the 1+ 1+ from motorist doesn't go on the stack, only the crewing does.

It does go on the stack actually, but it resolves before the vehicle turns into a creature.

To be fair that interaction is extremely unintuitive (a vehicle becomes crewed when the crew ability is activated, not when the ability resolves). The other two are inexcusable though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I've lost games to other players who are as familiar with the rules as I am (very) to a Copter getting Harnessed Lightninged for three with the Veteran Motorist trigger "on the stack". That really is unintuitive, but good to know!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

+2 look at the top 3 and draw any of the nonland permanents.
-2 sword to plowshares

6 is a pretty big demand for a card, even a pretty beefy walker.

Definitely seems like sideboard material at the very least, though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

6 is a pretty big demand for a card, even a pretty beefy walker.

Definitely seems like sideboard material at the very least, though.

6 is not super demanding in standard and hasn't be for awhile. The plus takes over games and the minus is very powerful. Needs a shell around it though.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
it's cool that they found a way to combine the boring planeswalker design of card draw and creature removal with the boring standard design of midrange white creatures

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I have an Abzan Walker deck forming in my head right now, although possibly 2 6cmc guys in Ajani and Sorin won't fly. The oaths in those colours seem complimentary too. And are picked up by his plus whilst delivering sorcery effects.

But from a budget perspective he's cool because of both his cost and mechanics he won't be a 4 of.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

little munchkin posted:

It does go on the stack actually, but it resolves before the vehicle turns into a creature.

To be fair that interaction is extremely unintuitive (a vehicle becomes crewed when the crew ability is activated, not when the ability resolves). The other two are inexcusable though.

See, this is a reasonable excuse for a random player. It's not a reasonable excuse for the head judge of a standard event, when you know that there are going to be cars.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
The scene: Round 1 at the Legacy 25k tix thing at GP Denver.

Me, our hero: Even or odd on the die?
The Eldrazi player I'm about to lose to: Uh lets do high roll.
Three tie rolls on one die later...
Him: Let's roll two.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

black potus posted:

This exact scenario is why I started carrying around sleeved copies of Rock Lobster, Paper Tiger and Scissor Lizard.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Elyv posted:

See, this is a reasonable excuse for a random player. It's not a reasonable excuse for the head judge of a standard event, when you know that there are going to be cars.

Even moreso when the specific interaction of Veteran Motorist and Smuggler's Copter vs 3 damage removal comes up constantly in the format and is explained on the loving gatherer page for one of the cards.

Also this is someone who apparently thought the search on Path was mandatory despite the words written on the card.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 4, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Alris posted:

This exact scenario is why I started carrying around sleeved copies of Rock Lobster, Paper Tiger and Scissor Lizard.

Used to carry a half-dollar coin with my Magic stuff for this purpose. Lost it for a while but I actually found it this weekend while cleaning out some bulk cards and mismatched sleeves :toot:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 4, 2016

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Sickening posted:

6 is not super demanding in standard and hasn't be for awhile. The plus takes over games and the minus is very powerful. Needs a shell around it though.

lol, "needs a shell around it", as though generic GW midrange goodstuff is some fringe niche archetype that hasn't been dominant for years now, and that this doesn't slot perfectly into at the top end.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 4, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MiddleEastBeast posted:

lol, "needs a shell around it", as though generic GW midrange goodstuff is some fringe niche archetype that hasn't been dominant for years now.

G/W hasn't been dominate at all this standard season and its not even close. If this card was legal in standard right now there is a good chance that it alone isn't good enough to make the deck good. I don't really see how this is a "lol" moment.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Wotc please stop printing good green or white cards at least until your other mistakes rotate out

Thanks

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Lol they're printing cards, what clods!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Just reprint Gloom, Anarchy, and Deathgrip. Format fixed.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

C'mon, that wouldn't fix anything

You have to reprint dark ritual as well so people can turn 1 Gloom

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

I was going through some old bulk cards today and realized that I kinda miss color-specific hosers. Obviously stuff like Anarchy, Dread of Night, or Chill would be really harsh against some decks but it's space I wouldn't mind Wizards revisiting. They did a little bit of that in Theros (Glare of Heresy, Gainsay reprint etc.) but it wasn't enough IMO.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
In a speculative Abzan walker deck in the new standard, would anyone consider Nissa, Voice of Zendikar over Vital Force? The tokens could help her and other walkers tick up and there may be others from Oath of Gideon plus some creature cards, but it's not going to be a committed token or creature deck. Or is VF just too strong to dismiss?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think this new Ajani borders on unplayable in constructed.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

Christ finally someone notices the 6-cmc planeswalker either has no impact on the board for a turn or leaves itself open to copter.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

A grand total of 4 cards spoiled and we already have this.

I would still prefer 3-4 cmc walkers myself or something on the lines of elspeth for 6 mana. I am bored of +draw -removal walkers though considering how many we have currently.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

A grand total of 4 cards spoiled and we already have this.

I don't think you need the context of an entire set to look at this 6-cmc planeswalker and notice how little impact it has compared to the other two in Standard, much less the 3- and 4-cmc ones.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

I would still prefer 3-4 cmc walkers myself or something on the lines of elspeth for 6 mana. I am bored of +draw -removal walkers though considering how many we have currently.

You're really right about the boring design space. It's very annoying.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Is there anything better than watching Jim Davis getting eliminated from a tournament

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

I was going through some old bulk cards today and realized that I kinda miss color-specific hosers. Obviously stuff like Anarchy, Dread of Night, or Chill would be really harsh against some decks but it's space I wouldn't mind Wizards revisiting. They did a little bit of that in Theros (Glare of Heresy, Gainsay reprint etc.) but it wasn't enough IMO.

They did it right in Khans block with Rending Volley et al.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Christ finally someone notices the 6-cmc planeswalker either has no impact on the board for a turn or leaves itself open to copter.

I mean I noticed :v:

I don't really like the "Walker as top of the curve endgame finisher" style of design personally. I like them best when they're smaller sized and about utility.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

They sure did. Self inflicting wounds and such were great. The kind of hate any format needs.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Hot take: Domri Rade was the best Walker.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Is there anything better than watching Jim Davis getting eliminated from a tournament

Watching Jeff Hoggland get eliminated

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GeneX posted:

Watching Jeff Hoggland get eliminated

Jeff losing to tom Ross for the player of the year after being salty as gently caress to him every chance on twitter is the best.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

I honestly forgot about those. Looking at them now though they are pretty cool.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Watching him getting eliminated due to a slow play judge call would be better.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Toshimo posted:

Hot take: Domri Rade was the best Walker.

:yeah:

Give me a new aggro walker, Wizards. Make a R/B Tibalt or something.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

black potus posted:

People who do this should be publicly executed.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

Jeff losing to tom Ross for the player of the year after being salty as gently caress to him every chance on twitter is the best.

Which round was this? Need to watch!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

+2 look at the top 3 and draw any of the nonland permanents.
-2 sword to plowshares

Ah. Good. Just what we needed, another 2 years of GW Standard!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I don't know why I would spend an extra mana on the new Ajani instead of just playing Nissa, Vital Force if I want to grind out my opponents.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hellsau posted:

I don't know why I would spend an extra mana on the new Ajani instead of just playing Nissa, Vital Force if I want to grind out my opponents.

Because this walker means you never draw another land again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

black potus posted:

When I attempted to play miniatures games, people would insist on high roll on one die. Using more than one die or using a method that couldn't have ties was so absurd to them that they wouldn't even consider it.

• Locked thread