Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Jet fuel smells amazing. Avgas smells even better :allears:

Being exposed to them all day every day kind of changes your mind on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Every shopping mall in America still has pay phones.

Maybe in ur backwards state

There are 0 payphones in the malls I worked in (4 of them)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

Race fuel smells amazing.

Is it actually a good smell, or is it a bad smell that you like because it means something awesome is happening?
You can tell who's barfed into a trash can at the track and who hasn't.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I don't know what specific blend of fuel everyone's talking about, but anyone who enjoys the smell of nitromethane is going to hell for lying. Fruity or not, the fumes from that poo poo burns any mucous membrane they touch and will make you puke your brains out

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

InitialDave posted:

At the side of a crosser track, maybe. On your trousers after a commute in to the office, probably not.

I commuted for over a year on a 70s two stroke.

gently caress that, it was amazing. I love that smell. My wife bitched, but later admitted it was a turn on because it was "just really masculine."

quote:

Is it actually a good smell, or is it a bad smell that you like because it means something awesome is happening?
You can tell who's barfed into a trash can at the track and who hasn't.

Nitro is horrid. But 100+ octane race fuels are glorious.

Then again, I also love the smell of rubber, leather, and books.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 4, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

iwentdoodie posted:

So you enjoy being spanked by a Dominatrix Librarian?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Had to double check which chat thread I was in for a moment.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

...not gonna lie it doesn't sound like a bad time.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

iwentdoodie posted:

...not gonna lie it doesn't sound like a bad time.

She reads Ayn Rand.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fermented Tinal posted:

She reads Ayn Rand.

Way to ruin my boner.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

iwentdoodie posted:

I commuted for over a year on a 70s two stroke.

gently caress that, it was amazing. I love that smell. My wife bitched, but later admitted it was a turn on because it was "just really masculine."

I once left an anonymous bunch of flowers for someone on Valentines day, but with a single fingerprint of two stroke oil as a clue.

Didn't bloody work.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Fermented Tinal posted:

She reads Ayn Rand.

No no no, that's a Dominatrix Libertarian.

About to start applying to internships for real with my newly-updated resume. Nervous as all gently caress.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Enourmo posted:

Oh, sorry iwentdoodie.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Enourmo posted:

Bra-loving-vo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Had to double check which chat thread I was in for a moment.

... What chat threads are you where Dominatrix Librarians are a frequent topic????

Link pls?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Kid, if you're gonna come in here smug as poo poo and tell me how to do my job, you had best not say something stupid as "yeah, I need the seal that keeps the oil in my engine. I think my pump is overworking and pushing it out." I can and will sit and list a dozen plus oil sealing gaskets/seals on your specific shitbox from memory and ask you which one you need as my coworkers laugh while listening from the backroom. :argh:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 5, 2016

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

... What chat threads are you where Dominatrix Librarians are a frequent topic????

Link pls?

Same. Asking for a friend.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I love you guys.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

cakesmith handyman posted:

This (quoting from the middle of your posts on a phone is a chore btw :v: ) but having just started dabbling with distant temp/style led bulbs and dimmers I feel the inevitability of a whole-house project coming on. I fitted cooler bulbs in the living area so now everywhere else looks like it's lit by failing sodium lights, I kind of want variable colour-temp whites so I can pick the exact shade of white or even have it change throughout the day.

Looks like Philips hue kit can do what I want but I don't want apps and WiFi because it's hilariously insecure.

Basically it's going to get expensive or complicated, but I've got an interior lighting bug going.

I have LED bulbs in the entire place (there's only a couple of CFLs left), but only have a couple of variable color bulbs (ilumi - their app kinda sucks, but the bulbs are neat). Ilumi can do what you want, but they're spendy compared to most, and instead of using a hub, you program them via Bluetooth, and they then largely communicate among each other. But they haven't been able to promote them like Phillips and the other brands, so I'm not sure how much longer they'll be around. And the app is ..... very dated.

The rest of the bulbs are either soft white or bright white. Basic LED bulbs are now the same price as what CFLs were just a handful of years ago; in some cases cheaper. I got a R40 Phillips LED flood for the recessed light in my hall a few weeks ago for $9, and a two pack of R30 LED floods for the other recessed lights (EcoSmart I think, store brand?) for $12 or $13. They all look like normal bulbs, instead of the older trend to make them obviously LED. CFL floods were still in the $15-20/each range when they disappeared from most store shelves, and didn't last long at all in my own experience. My gripe about the R30s is they're actually a bit brighter than the incandescents they replaced (which is annoying for the one above the TV), but they're dimmable at least.

Some of the Phillips dimmable LEDs do change color temp if you put them on a dimmer (and advertise this as a feature), very similar to an incandescent, and they're much cheaper than a smart bulb.

bandman posted:

gently caress CSC Serviceworks forever. Their contracts are virtually impossible to get out of for an apartment complex. They sign you up to a 10 year deal, and the only opt-out period is a two week window in the 7th year of the contract. If you don't opt out, it automatically renews for another 10 years. They take forever to fix stuff, the money split is terrible (like 75-25 or worse), and good loving luck getting them to replace old busted machines.

I deal with apartments all of the time that are desperate to get out of those deals and just buy their own poo poo, but they can't get out of those contracts.

That explains so much.

At one place I lived at, they had 70s or early 80s Speed Queens that were ALWAYS broken. The best part is they'd break down mid-cycle, so you'd come back to a washer full of soapy water. The power light would still be on, so I can only assume CSC was just too cheap to replace the timers with new ones and would just use ones that weren't completely dead. Or maybe the machines were just so old that they couldn't get timers for them anymore? The fire department was out there frequently too; a few times a month the laundry room would suddenly REEK of gas (gas dryers) and they'd come out and shut off the gas. Which also shut down the boilers for the entire property (not that you could even get remotely warm water in your apartment in the winter anyway).

CSC has a rent program for tenants that sounds good at first... $8/mo. Then you talk to them and it's a hard sell to move to their top of the line poo poo at something stupid like $300/week, and when you refuse, you're informed they've been out of stock of the $8/mo stuff for months/years/whatever. Or they just hang up on you. Then your phone blows up for the next week. So glad I used my Google Voice # to call them.

If I could afford $300/week, I'd have a matching used newish set sitting here right now, or brand new poo poo in a couple of weeks. Matching sets pop up for cheap all the time on Craigslist and 5miles. I don't even care if they're matching, I just care if they work. I'd prefer the washer be on the newer side just because of wear and tear on the transmission.

slidebite posted:

Jesus christ you are one unlucky SOB. Can you gut one of those small 110V washer/dryer units for your rental? They are about half the size of a regular washer dryer, and the dryers can be mediocre, but the convenience is worth it.

I have full size w/d connections in my apartment, just haven't been able to afford a W/D.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just LOL if you trust Android or Apple Pay.

And no, I refuse to put a payment application on my phone from a bank either. Call me paranoid but I just do not trust any phone OS.

A page late, but unless your bank is a fly by night company, their app really isn't running in the OS. At most, the UI might be, but the guts of it will be running in the "trusted" firmware of the phone. Its not the OEM writing that firmware either, its the chipset vendor, so it'll be either Apple, NVIDIA (hah), Samsung, Qualcomm, or Mediatek.

As far as I am aware, all of those companies have had privilege escalation flaws in their firmware.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

CSC has a rent program for tenants that sounds good at first... $8/mo. Then you talk to them and it's a hard sell to move to their top of the line poo poo at something stupid like $300/week, and when you refuse, you're informed they've been out of stock of the $8/mo stuff for months/years/whatever. Or they just hang up on you. Then your phone blows up for the next week. So glad I used my Google Voice # to call them.

If I could afford $300/week, I'd have a matching used newish set sitting here right now, or brand new poo poo in a couple of weeks.
:stare:

No kidding, I think I bought my matched set for $300 each. Just basic Amana stuff but somehow I doubt CSC's top of the line is much better.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Galler posted:

:stare:

No kidding, I think I bought my matched set for $300 each. Just basic Amana stuff but somehow I doubt CSC's top of the line is much better.

Yeah we got our used roper set for 250. Basic as gently caress but they were essentially new and have zero issues.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I haven't seen any in malls, but my morning drive passes an abandoned lot with a payphone. I see it used once in a while too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Okay, $300/week was an exaggeration (though I thought I did see some that were that expensive at some point). I just checked both Aaron's and Rent-A-Center. RAC actually has some reasonable rental prices, and 90 day 0%. Basic Amana set is $60/month (each), and they only do the basic stuff. Full retail on them is a bit higher than what you'd pay at, say, Home Depot or Fry's (washer is $700, dryer is $600, for base model Amana).

Aaron's has some higher end stuff that's about $300/month. RAC is smart and only does the basic washers/dryers.

Looks like CSC removed all pricing altogether from their consumer webpage (Appliance Warehouse of America).

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah we got our used roper set for 250. Basic as gently caress but they were essentially new and have zero issues.

Roper and Estate are Whirlpool's bottom end brands. Amana is also made by Whirlpool, and is considered a couple of steps above. But out of all the traditional US brands, most of them are made by Whirlpool and GE now. Even Speed Queen was made by Maytag, then Whirlpool, for a bit.

They're solid, just super basic. Which is fine with me. Less poo poo to break, less poo poo to fix, and parts binning is taken to the extreme, so parts are usually cheap. Timers are the most expensive thing I've had to touch so far ($130 or so for a timer for my mother's washer a few years ago).

Most of the parts are the same as any other brand from Whirlpool. With Whirlpool themselves, it's more the name you're paying for. Whirlpool also (now) owns and builds Maytag, which is pretty much their premium line. I think Whirlpool fully took over Maytag production in the late 90s; my parents ~1997 Maytag set is the very last of the real Maytag stuff.

I wish I had a pickup sometimes. Every now and then I see appliance sets (even a w/d) on a curb. I've brought home a lot of stuff that fits in my car, cleaned it up, verified it worked, and sold it. Mostly microwaves, vacuum cleaners, mini fridges, computers, etc.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 5, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Spent a good chunk of the day replacing a toilet thanks to a suspected leak at the wax ring. Ended up being a leak at the gasket between the bowl and the tank... it was loving melting in the water. Still glad I did it since one of the bolts holding the old toilet down was completely shot and it was only a matter of time until it actually did develop a leak there.

I hate plumbing, but I hate paying someone else to do it more :v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Lowe's credit card does 0% 18 month financing on anything over $299, and often run appliance specials like 10%-15% off.

Don't deal with rent a center, please.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

IOwnCalculus posted:

Spent a good chunk of the day replacing a toilet thanks to a suspected leak at the wax ring. Ended up being a leak at the gasket between the bowl and the tank... it was loving melting in the water. Still glad I did it since one of the bolts holding the old toilet down was completely shot and it was only a matter of time until it actually did develop a leak there.

I hate plumbing, but I hate paying someone else to do it more :v:

Plumbing is all loving easy, it's just a pain in the dick.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Unlike a lot of other things, when you gently caress up plumbing, it can gently caress up your house hard. That's what I hate about it.

Single-story flat? No issue doing poo poo myself. Second story? Prefer to call a plumber (even at $60/hour), thanks.

That said, I've done the last few wax rings (gently caress wax rings, next time I'm doing a foam/rubber ring) myself.

Everything involving plumbing is skills you normally don't use, at least often, along with the fixtures themselves that are almost always fragile. And you're joining weird things, like porcelain or marble to wood using clamp styles from 150 years ago. Even master carpenters are sometimes like "wtf" when it comes to integrating plumbing. The modern world is full of plastics and polymers and metals and woods and prescribed joints and assembly instructions for all of the above. Plumbing is like a weird callback when humanity was using everything they had at their disposal in terms of material science, but before any standards were created, so it's all a mishmash of garbage.

Compare it to the world of electrical, where every country (and some regions of the planet) have standards that agree. This connector always fits into that, the hole size for a certain conduit is always X inches from each other, etc. I can watch a bigclivedotcom video, a nighthawkinlight video, and AvE video, and an EEVblog video, and they'll all agree on the proper electrical routing and usage, and circuit design, within reason.

Pain in the dick is the best term for it.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 5, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Portions of your state don't even have drinkable water. Every major mall and/or shopping center I've been to in the Chicagoland area has pay phones.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Unlike a lot of other things, when you gently caress up plumbing, it can gently caress up your house hard. That's what I hate about it.

Single-story flat? No issue doing poo poo myself. Second story? Prefer to call a plumber (even at $60/hour), thanks.

That said, I've done the last few wax rings (gently caress wax rings, next time I'm doing a foam/rubber ring) myself.

Everything involving plumbing is skills you normally don't use, at least often, along with the fixtures themselves that are almost always fragile. And you're joining weird things, like porcelain or marble to wood using clamp styles from 150 years ago. Even master carpenters are sometimes like "wtf" when it comes to integrating plumbing. The modern world is full of plastics and polymers and metals and woods and prescribed joints and assembly instructions for all of the above. Plumbing is like a weird callback when humanity was using everything they had at their disposal in terms of material science, but before any standards were created, so it's all a mishmash of garbage.

Compare it to the world of electrical, where every country (and some regions of the planet) have standards that agree. This connector always fits into that, the hole size for a certain conduit is always X inches from each other, etc. I can watch a bigclivedotcom video, a nighthawkinlight video, and AvE video, and an EEVblog video, and they'll all agree on the proper electrical routing and usage, and circuit design, within reason.

Pain in the dick is the best term for it.

Once you deal with it, it's easy. Installing it sucks but fixing it is very straight forward. It's usually gross, but it's easy work.

The skills take time to aquire, but you never forget them.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

Sup buddy. :kimchi:

FUCKYEA GARAGE:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Please, PLEASE tell me you aren't also a secret librarian.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

shhhhhhhh. whats this book smell like?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Pleasure and tightening.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

cursedshitbox posted:

Fear and confusion with a strange sense of longing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

The sweat of a man's brow.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Spent the last two days working outside. It's still in the low 50's and pretty clear out. My neighbor was nice enough to leave me the key for his Cyclone Rake/Tractor which resulted in me spending ~5 hours trying to suck up wet, compacted leaves. Still better then raking. I used like 8 gallons of gas, but I mowed his yard. I think I ended up having to empty it 7 times? (3'x3'x2'). I know what I'm buying next year, it will literally save me weeknds of raking leaves. Today a friend came by and we trimmed a bunch of dead limbs and removed some dead trees. Had a great fire and cleaned up a ton of just yard debries.

Tomorrow it's back to the office. Ugh.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

January chat title found

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Ya'll should watch Banshee.

TT I didnt notice you respond to my post about yo dogge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Watched all of the sopranos...just started the wire.

Literally the only good that has come of the wife being gone.

• Locked thread