Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

yo rear end is grass posted:

Skyrim
The archmage who originally owned the Gauldur Amulet was murdered by his sons. They break it into three pieces, which you then find and put back together, ready to inherit the awesome power of +30 to health, magicka, and stamina.
Yeah, who's the badass now?! gently caress.

Edit:

"The High King ordered that the whole affair be struck from the rolls of history, fearful of the terrible power of Gauldur's amulet, but the "Forbidden Legend" managed to live on through the ages."

Just to drive the disappointment home further.

Well, thanks to the poo poo default enchanting system you can only give an item two out of those three at the same time!

Anyway, know what really drags down ESO for me? It takes forever to level up. I'm still just level 8, every time I complete a quest chain I add like, 1/50th of my exp bar to completion. How the hell are there people level 200 in this dumb game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Skyrim
The archmage who originally owned the Gauldur Amulet was murdered by his sons. They break it into three pieces, which you then find and put back together, ready to inherit the awesome power of +30 to health, magicka, and stamina.

Edit:

"The High King ordered that the whole affair be struck from the rolls of history, fearful of the terrible power of Gauldur's amulet, but the "Forbidden Legend" managed to live on through the ages."

It's even more outrageous with the Daedric artifacts. A bunch of weapons and armour imbued with the essence of literal gods are infinitely inferior to what some random idiot with a few 'boost intelligence' potions can make.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Well, thanks to the poo poo default enchanting system you can only give an item two out of those three at the same time!

Anyway, know what really drags down ESO for me? It takes forever to level up. I'm still just level 8, every time I complete a quest chain I add like, 1/50th of my exp bar to completion. How the hell are there people level 200 in this dumb game?

Goons.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Skyrim

Edit:

The entire quest is an enormous pain in the rear end, requiring you to trek to the remotest part of loving nowhere Skyrim,all for a minor reward and a dogshit amulet.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

A White Guy posted:

The entire quest is an enormous pain in the rear end, requiring you to trek to the remotest part of loving nowhere Skyrim,all for a minor reward and a dogshit amulet.

Skyrim_sidequest_guidelines.txt

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Speaking of MMO complaints I have; I started playing this F2P digimon game steam told me exists and I thought it was fun as hell. Right up until I realized the big gimmick. See, to get a new digimon you have to grind until an egg drops. That's fine. Then you have to grind for items to hatch the eggs. That's also fine. But then hatching the egg is a sort of minigame. It's an awful roulette wheel where you put in the items you just farmed up, with each egg requiring a different number of items for a single spin. For a minimum you have to succeed three times. However, there's a random chance that your spin will fail and just destroy the egg, and the items.

On top of that, completing the minigame isn't good enough. When you hatch the egg your digimon are given a random size from 80% to 130%. If you go with the basic 3 spins for success, you get something that's only 80% as strong as its average stats and you'll be poo poo forever. So if you want a character that isn't terrible, you have to win the wheel five times, with increasing chances of the game just deleting everything. Well it was fun while it lasted.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

A White Guy posted:

That's what I mean, the whole quest is backed by a legend of an artifact that people are willing to murder their own father over, yet it's....that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Magic was shittier back then.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Pokemon sun and moon really motherfucking hate psychic types, and looove giving everything dark type attacks. I evolved my eevee into an espion and immediately regretted it as everything will be more then happy to spam pursuit, knockoff,bite, or crunch and constanlty bringing it to critical in one hit. It's getting to the point where im considering throwing it and my misdrevous into a box and replacing them as i cant go 2 trainer battles without them being taken out by something that would normally be weak to them but wins due to having dark type attacks (and trying to switch them out just results in them getting oneshot by pursuit)

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tengames posted:

Pokemon sun and moon really motherfucking hate psychic types, and looove giving everything dark type attacks. I evolved my eevee into an espion and immediately regretted it as everything will be more then happy to spam pursuit, knockoff,bite, or crunch and constanlty bringing it to critical in one hit. It's getting to the point where im considering throwing it and my misdrevous into a box and replacing them as i cant go 2 trainer battles without them being taken out by something that would normally be weak to them but wins due to having dark type attacks (and trying to switch them out just results in them getting oneshot by pursuit)

I don't know why they decided to change the dark type from taking 1/2 psychic damage to being immune to it. Dark on its own is incredibly powerful, even with Fairy types around, and since it's so accessible to pretty much any pokemon, psychic types can just be done away with entirely. Hell, why did they remove steel's resistance to dark? im sure im just being dumb and there's a million good reasons why it shouldnt resist dark, but i cant think of any

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

I don't know why they decided to change the dark type from taking 1/2 psychic damage to being immune to it. Dark on its own is incredibly powerful, even with Fairy types around, and since it's so accessible to pretty much any pokemon, psychic types can just be done away with entirely. Hell, why did they remove steel's resistance to dark?

Because psychic type was crazy OP in the first generation, and everyone still complains about it so they made dark type specifically to counter it. Then they just keep buffing it and it's quickly become the new king. Dark attacks are very strong even without type advantages, the biggest weakness of dark type pokemon is that they're usually fragile but that doesn't matter when they're fast and strong so they can just get the first hit in and oneshot everything with their near constant crits.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Tengames posted:

As someone who went with Decidueye, it became apparent pretty quickly just how many loving Pokemon get Bite or Crunch. And especially gently caress Golisopod and anything else with Sucker Punch.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Ugh, this RPG I'm playing is missing so many basic quality of life features its maddening. The worst however, is the fact that I just lost a party member due to story reasons and the game didn't give me back the items I equipped to them!

I wouldn't mind if they were suddenly kidnapped or something, but they basically told me they have some work to do and just walked off. I also have no idea when they'll rejoin my party so I'm SOL until they decide to rejoin the party.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I'm playing Moon and my Ghost/Poison/Electricity crew seems to be wrecking just about everything in my path. The summon help mechanic is kind of dragging the game down for me, but every time some stupid Pokemon gets into a loop of summoning help I just keep killing them to level up my B Team. It all seems to work out in the end.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

moosecow333 posted:

Ugh, this RPG I'm playing is missing so many basic quality of life features its maddening. The worst however, is the fact that I just lost a party member due to story reasons and the game didn't give me back the items I equipped to them!

I wouldn't mind if they were suddenly kidnapped or something, but they basically told me they have some work to do and just walked off. I also have no idea when they'll rejoin my party so I'm SOL until they decide to rejoin the party.

Got some bad news: you're not getting Aeris back.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

spit on my clit posted:

I don't know why they decided to change the dark type from taking 1/2 psychic damage to being immune to it. Dark on its own is incredibly powerful, even with Fairy types around, and since it's so accessible to pretty much any pokemon, psychic types can just be done away with entirely. Hell, why did they remove steel's resistance to dark? im sure im just being dumb and there's a million good reasons why it shouldnt resist dark, but i cant think of any

Dark was always immune to Psychic, even in generation II.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

moosecow333 posted:

Which game in particular? Chances are they're going to come back if that happens and you don't get your stuff back. And they'll still be wearing their like, level 5 armor and weapon when they show up for a boss fight.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

XCOM 2: Three consecutive 96% chance to hit misses. I now understand why :xcom: exists.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Even if all of those were 95.51% chances rounded up to 96%, that's a 0.0091% chance to miss all 3 :stare:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

To make it even worse, the game actually slightly boosts your rolls behind the scenes on consecutive misses, to make such streaks less common.

So basically now's the time to buy a lottery ticket. :haw:
Yes I know that's not how probability works, shut up

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like FFXV a lot but it constantly sends me from being worried I'll overlevel on sidequests and trivialize story encounters to being worried I'll miss sidequests.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Walton Simons posted:

Even if all of those were 95.51% chances rounded up to 96%, that's a 0.0091% chance to miss all 3 :stare:

The 3rd miss was for the money too. The luckiest Stun Lancer who ever lived then ran off and zapped my sargeant sniper to death. Of course I was playing on Ironman. I wanted to cry. I honestly think it must be an XCOM 2 thing because I very rarely missed consecutive high percentage to hit shots in XCOM (the most recent one). In this, I can think of more than one time where this has happened.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I like FFXV a lot but it constantly sends me from being worried I'll overlevel on sidequests and trivialize story encounters to being worried I'll miss sidequests.

Not that you have a way of knowing, but the word goings around is that literally the only thing that's missable is one achievement hinging on Normal Mode.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Walton Simons posted:

To be fair, thats a little less than one in ten thousand chance. Multiply tens/hundreds of thousands of people playing the game by thousands of shots fired and its bound to happen quite often.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AlphaKretin posted:

Not that you have a way of knowing, but the word goings around is that literally the only thing that's missable is one achievement hinging on Normal Mode.

I did a quest that seems like it would be missable. A neckbeard asks you to take pictures of that big meteorite. Right after completing that quest I progressed the story and the meteorite got destroyed. I don't know if completing that quest leads to anything of note, though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I guess I worded that badly. I meant that if I do all the sidequests, I'll be way above the recommended level for storyline quests, but if I skip sidequests, I'll be overleveled for them when I eventually revisit them. I wish it was easier to just coast along and do whatever but at the same time I accept that it's mostly my slightly OCD character traits that are at fault here. Kinda wish I could just turn off the level recommendations. Out of sight, out of mind. :v:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Breetai posted:

To be fair, thats a little less than one in ten thousand chance. Multiply tens/hundreds of thousands of people playing the game by thousands of shots fired and its bound to happen quite often.

Showing probabilities like that is just bad game design. Because of how bad people are at maths and confirmation bias and all that, it's just always going to seem like you lose more often than you should. Hide those numbers and people will suddenly feel like your game is much fairer.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tiggum posted:

Showing probabilities like that is just bad game design. Because of how bad people are at maths and confirmation bias and all that, it's just always going to seem like you lose more often than you should. Hide those numbers and people will suddenly feel like your game is much fairer.

I haven't played XCOM, but other strategy games that tell you the hit rates do so very deliberately, because practically the whole game is about manipulating them and, when you can't create guarantees, balancing risks against each other. Removing that information just because it makes people feel bad would ruin the core of the game and turn it into a giant guess.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, XCom wouldn't work without being able to carefully weigh risks and plan based on the information that it gives you.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hiding probabilities would also do nothing to stem complaints about bullshit.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

moosecow333 posted:

The remakes of Final Fantasy II give you some post-game content featuring 4 characters that temporarily joined your party in the main game. They keep the equipment they had when they left your party. You can screw yourself over by giving them equipment that you wanted to keep AND you can screw yourself over if you stripped them of everything because the start of the post-game content will be harder.

FFII also doesn't give you a permanent 4th character until just before the final dungeon. That is also a pretty big gently caress you.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 17:13 on Dec 5, 2016

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Re: XCom missed shots.

It goes both ways. In my last game I had a Grenadier with an advanced stock on his cannon so I was taking shots I would never take normally. I'm talking really low percentage shots, like <15% low, and I was pretty surprised how many of those shots I made. It got to the point where I started feeling like it was almost unfair and too easy.

That said, missing three 96% is loving terrible.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I really like bully and played loads of it in Xbox, but hot drat I'm lucky if I get ten minutes without a crash on PC. Sometimes it's alright, like when I got to beat up santa's elves four times, but I've tried about six times to get through the mission where you run away from the greasers on bikes.

One time I made it to the final cut scene and it crashed :(

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

I've been playing the most recent Mirror's Edge and for a game that obviously spent a crazy amount of effort to get the 1st-person platforming feeling just right, it is so drat boring. It's like DICE forgot to make compelling gameplay to go with the mechanics and setting. Pretty much every side mission is a timed run which is the most boring and low-effort way to create gameplay that fits with the mechanics. The developers put some thought into the side missions and wrote out little stories for each one but when you play them they are almost all exclusively get the package to this point in under a certain time. If that's the main gameplay, why even bother writing motivations for the characters in the first place? There are a ton of ways to make "running from point A to point B" fun and engaging and adding a timer is not one of those.

I realize that this next part puts me in the minority, but I really like the new combat they made for this game and it sucks that there are basically no enemies in the open-world to dick around with. There are a ton of combat upgrades too which is confusing because the only time you fight is during scripted story missions. Maybe I need to go further in the story to have more enemies appear in the open-world or something, but I really enjoy mastering game mechanics early on in single-player games so I can stomp any story challenges that come up and it's really bothering me that I can't find any way to practice my skills.

One last thing, and this isn't exclusive to Mirror's Edge, but gently caress games that give me cool grappling hooks but I can only use them on places pre-determined by the game designers. Open-world games are the most fun when you have a bunch of different tools that allow you to tackle challenges in different ways depending on your play-style and mood. The grappling hook you get in games like Mirror's Edge isn't a tool though, it's a key that allows you to go to other areas of the open world and does absolutely nothing else. As far as I can tell, I can't use it in combat (I could be wrong because I haven't found anyone to loving fight since getting the gadget), and I can't use it for generally moving around faster than I would just by running. It adds nothing to the moment-to-moment gameplay and makes me angry every time I see a ledge that I have to manually climb up to because some game designer didn't bother to put a grapple point there.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

StandardVC10 posted:

Dark was always immune to Psychic, even in generation II.

huuuuuuuuuh, i've got a terrible memory, then.

Let It Die has fall damage, but at least there's a skill that halves it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

I haven't played XCOM, but other strategy games that tell you the hit rates do so very deliberately, because practically the whole game is about manipulating them and, when you can't create guarantees, balancing risks against each other. Removing that information just because it makes people feel bad would ruin the core of the game and turn it into a giant guess.

Something I really hate about XCOM probability stuff: on easy and normal difficulties, it will give you a higher chance to hit if you've missed a bunch of shots in a row or whatever. I'd be fine with this, except it doesn't actually reflect this in the percentages it shows. So you can develop an intuitive feel for how reliable a 70% shot is that's actually totally wrong because the game is lying to you and your "70%" shots are actually 80% or 90% shots really.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
Why come borderlands 2, a game from four years ago, has Horrible fps drops on my ~1000 dollar computer built last year

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm having a blast with Steep so far but I'm a little bummed that you can't actually create your rider. There's like a million different options for gear and clothing and everything but for the character itself you just pick one of like 6 options. It doesn't even really matter since you're barely going to see your character under all the winter sports gear but I'm a sucker for character creation and since there's no storyline or anything it seems like it would have been easy enough to just have a simple "select sex, face, skin tone, and hair color" kinda thing.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Spinning Robo posted:

Why come borderlands 2, a game from four years ago, has Horrible fps drops on my ~1000 dollar computer built last year

Because $1000 isn't a whole hell of alot assuming monitor and accessories, and if prebuilt that is mid range. You are most likely bottlenecked with a subpar part, my guess is gpu or processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

frodnonnag posted:

Because $1000 isn't a whole hell of alot assuming monitor and accessories

Do what now, you can make a good setup for a nice chunk less than that providing you're not buying stupid poo poo like $200 keyboards or full price release day parts, even pretty older rigs shouldn't be having problems on BL2 much less 1k+ ones.