Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's a pretty normal way to do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMQBieZnjlc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeU7MDPBDf8

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

We had a non-drill fire alarm at my plant a few days ago that turned out to be someone crashing a forklift into an alarm box. I and the plant manager were the only people who left the building out of 300+ on shift.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

boner confessor posted:

also how the real real killer isn't the fire or smoke necessarily, it's inadequate ability to escape. two of the deadliest fires in the united states - the iroquois theater fire (600ish dead) and the cocoanut grove fire (500ish dead) were because once the fire happened, people panicked and couldn't find their way out.
Cosigned on "couldn't find their way out", but I disagree on panic.
Both the Iroquois fire and the Cocoanut Grove fire caused major revisions in the fire codes because the exits didn't work. The Iroquois Theater had multiple levels of the auditorium funneling into a single staircase; when that was blocked by fire, there was no way to leave. The architect didn't like the way that fire exits disrupted the line of the architecture, so they didn't have lighted signs. The fire-escape exits were fastened by bascule locks (I haven't been able to find a good picture), a lock then common in Europe but nearly unknown in the U.S., that had to be simultaneously pressed down and rotated. Similarly, the Cocoanut Grove's only exit was a rotating door, which jammed.

I recently read a book on the Iroquois fire, so it's fresh in my mind. It's easy to ascribe disaster deaths to "panic" when what actually happened was that the egress wasn't designed for many people to leave quickly. You'll notice that people don't die of "panic" in airplane evacuations, because the exit chutes are designed to get people out fast, and the attendants are trained on how to get people out fast. In the Cocoanut Grove, the Iroquois, and the Collinwood School fires, the design wasn't there and the training wasn't there.

There's been recent research on crowd crush deaths, and I highly recommend the New Yorker article I linked to. The problem isn't "panic"; the problem is the physics of how humans interact in a closed space.

e: belated edit to fix horrible markup

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 5, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

As I understand it, in an emergency evacuation people will panic. Therefore, the building must be designed such that panicking is an effective way of leaving the building.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Lone Badger posted:

As I understand it, in an emergency evacuation people will panic. Therefore, the building must be designed such that panicking is an effective way of leaving the building.

There was a pretty famous test back in the 70?s where they ran the evacuation test for an airplane using volunteers and they all safely escaped in the required time.

Then they ran the test again, only this time, the first 25 out would get a cash bonus. It failed miserably as they all got logjammed due to the pseudo-panic

My google-fu is failing me on which documentary on Youtube I saw this on.

Found it: S9 "Panic on the Runway"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airtours_Flight_28M

spog fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 4, 2016

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

spog posted:

There was a pretty famous test back in the 70?s where they ran the evacuation test for an airplane using volunteers and they all safely escaped in the required time.

Then they ran the test again, only this time, the first 25 out would get a cash bonus. It failed miserably as they all got logjammed due to the pseudo-panic

My google-fu is failing me on which documentary on Youtube I saw this on.

Here's the report: http://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/pdf/fsr-0089.pdf

edit: oops wrong link. Here's the original: https://www.faa.gov/data_research/research/med_humanfacs/oamtechreports/1970s/media/AM70-16.pdf

VectorSigma fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 4, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Cool, thanks.

The programme was an interesting watch, but I like to see the actual test results for these things.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
On the topic of fires spreading quickly, my PhD research is concerned with developing treatment programs for arsonists and, among those psychological factors found to predispose people to setting fires, we've found an overestimation of a person's ability to control fire and an underestimation of the destructive capacity of a fire to be a predictor of firesetting recidivism. The treatment plan we're authoring and testing has sessions on showing arsonists videos of fire spreading like the ones posted in this thread, demonstrating that a fire can come to engulf an entire house in minutes.

Among the focus groups we've run for people who have participated in the treatment program, these videos are consistently rated as among the most memorable parts of the program. They surprised even me and this is an area I work in - I find reading stories about this recent fire to be uniquely terrifying because I can imagine exactly how quickly and thoroughly the fire would have gotten out of control.

Part of our research is showing that people who have a lot of experience with fire (for example, because they live in a rural area where trash burning or bonfires are more common) tend to have better predictive ability for how quickly a fire can get out of control. This may sound really obvious but we've also found that people who have actual experience with fire tend to put their confidence about their knowledge of fire at about the same level as people who little to no actual experience with fire.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That is some fascinating research, and it sounds like it could make the world a little better. While we're on the subject, the Macdonald triad is utter bullshit, right?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

spog posted:

Cool, thanks.

The programme was an interesting watch, but I like to see the actual test results for these things.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I think those people that deal with fire more regularly probably recognize that there's pretty much always an element of unpredictability with fire too, no matter how controlled the variables might be (thinking mostly of brush fires, but still). Just can't trust it.

Do you have any focus on brush fires and the like? It seems like it could be useful as I've seen/heard so many "controlled burns" get out of hand in a hell of a hurry, although I'm not sure if that's applicable so much on the arson side.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Time works the same way.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That is some fascinating research, and it sounds like it could make the world a little better. While we're on the subject, the Macdonald triad is utter bullshit, right?

AFAIK the Macdonald triad is just 4 traits commonly found in killers, not a predictor or tool for diagnosis,

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I do fire safety stuff for a living and it just makes me enraged when building owners don't take it seriously. So many lovely clubs and restaurants and art spaces that will just pile flammable junk over all the alternate exits too they get all bent out of shape when we tell them not to. To them it's just mindless bureaucratic rules hurting their business/space/artistic vision. Mass fire deaths only happen in the 3rd world, why do we need to follow any of this fire safety stuff anymore??? But my special art showing is only this weekend why can't I have double my occupancy load and block off the 2nd stairwell to make sure no one's sneaking drinks in?! We're drowning in regulations!!!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
What kind of charges will the owners of those places (like the current fire) receive in court? (assuming they made it out)

They should really be looking at Murder One.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Johnny Aztec posted:

What kind of charges will the owners of those places (like the current fire) receive in court? (assuming they made it out)

They should really be looking at Murder One.

A $20 fine, if history is any indication.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I think those people that deal with fire more regularly probably recognize that there's pretty much always an element of unpredictability with fire too, no matter how controlled the variables might be (thinking mostly of brush fires, but still). Just can't trust it.

Do you have any focus on brush fires and the like? It seems like it could be useful as I've seen/heard so many "controlled burns" get out of hand in a hell of a hurry, although I'm not sure if that's applicable so much on the arson side.

Controlled burns getting out is a combination of fire being unpredictable and weather being unpredictable.

I was helping with a burn where the breeze went from the forecast steady 5mph in one direction to gusting 15 mph in the other for 30 seconds at the worst possible moment. That was enough to take the fire from a slowly advancing line 3 feet tall to crowning out in a wall of flames burning from the ground to 40ft over the top of the mature trees.

A few hundred square feet of young trees outside the fire lines burned due to burning chunks of tree canopy drifting down. Had the breeze done that twenty minutes earlier it would have been just fine as the fire would have been in a less fuel rich area and any embers would have fallen within the fire breaks, and had the wind kept doing that and had we not kept a bulldozer idling it could have easily been a few hundred acres going up.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The triad was authored to predict recidivistic murder and is generally not supported by the research. The strongest predictors of repeat murder are terribly boring; generally childhood histories of aggression and violence, adult histories of domestic assault, generally pasts characterised by violence. Arson is interesting with respect to forensic psychological research because it comprises an aggressive act meaning you'd expect it to share predictors with other violent crime yet the actual violence is impersonal. We're finding more and more that arson offenders are characterised by high levels of trait aggression but without the social assertiveness or communication ability to resolve their aggression directly so they resort to fire, some as a symbolic act (only something so destructive is consummate to how aggrieved I feel) or because they feel so socially/communicatively disempowered that fire is literally the only way they can think of to sublimate their aggression.

quote:

Do you have any focus on brush fires and the like?

Bush fires are a massive problem in Australia; the rate of bush fires is approximately that of Canada or the US but Australia's climate make them disproportionately bad. My research actually came out of a grant that followed a massive investment by Australia following the Victorian bushfire disaster of 2012 in which 200 people lost their lives. It's a hard thing to research, though, because it has the lowest clearance rate of all types of arson, it's hard to detect in the first place and harder to prosecute. Consequently, while I study bushfire arson, all my research has to carry a proviso that we can only investigate those offenders who were caught so our results may not be generalisable to all bushfire arsonists. I'm actually conducting a study now where I'm comparing psychological and demographic qualities of apprehended urban and rural arsonists to see if bushfire arsonists actually represent a distinct population but I'm still in the data analysis phase so I have no preliminary results to share.

E:

quote:

Controlled burns getting out is a combination of fire being unpredictable and weather being unpredictable.

Pretty much this. My research concerns arson specifically which assumes a level of motivation in the fire. Technically some illegal fires are set accidentally (it's a crime in Australia to ignore fire bans, for example) but they're not classified as "arson" and fall outside of my area of expertise.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

C.M. Kruger posted:

There was a serious fire at a party in a Oakland artist space.
The death toll is up to 33, only 7 families have been notified, and they're asking families of people who may have been there to start preserving hairbrushes, toothbrushes, and anything else that might have DNA they can use to match otherwise unidentifiable victims. :smith:

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

Baronjutter posted:

I do fire safety stuff for a living and it just makes me enraged when building owners don't take it seriously.

I'm interested to know what authority/responsibility fire inspectors have to simply shut some place down that is a hazard. The news reports from this fire make it sound like it was a known fire risk and that the owners had been informed multiple times about their code violations; why were they allowed to stay open? Do the fire marshals not carry the authority to just condemn the building if the first violation isn't responded to promptly or appropriately?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Serrath posted:

I'm interested to know what authority/responsibility fire inspectors have to simply shut some place down that is a hazard. The news reports from this fire make it sound like it was a known fire risk and that the owners had been informed multiple times about their code violations; why were they allowed to stay open? Do the fire marshals not carry the authority to just condemn the building if the first violation isn't responded to promptly or appropriately?

Someone in PYF said-

MrFellow posted:

I live in Oakland, and the issue of "residential"/converted warehouses gets kind of complicated.

It's pretty well known (although anecdotal) that the city is aware that there are a lot of people living in converted warehouses that aren't up to code. The problem is that if an inspector shows up and red tags the building, the current occupants will move out, and then almost immediately the place will start to fill up with more transient residents, e.g. the homeless, or crusters, or drug enterprises. This leads to a whole different set of problems, including increased crime, blight, and general bother for the neighbors, all of which is going on in a warehouse that is still not safe for habitation. The City of Oakland has, apparently, decided to look the other way on code violations because they find the second scenario more distasteful than the first (not to mention, city services are woefully underfunded, and I'm positive that there aren't enough inspectors to cover the whole city). I'm in no way trying to slam Oakland's code and fire inspectors--I worked in a warehouse in Oakland, and whenever we pulled a permit for a fundraiser, they required us to submit a whole plan and would show up during events to make sure that we were following it.

I probably don't have to mention that the whole bay area is facing the dual problems of (1) not enough funding for a social safety net and (2) rapidly evaporating affordable housing, which leads to people living in unsafe converted buildings, which often leads to tragedy.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Serrath posted:

On the topic of fires spreading quickly, my PhD research is concerned with developing treatment programs for arsonists and, among those psychological factors found to predispose people to setting fires, we've found an overestimation of a person's ability to control fire and an underestimation of the destructive capacity of a fire to be a predictor of firesetting recidivism. The treatment plan we're authoring and testing has sessions on showing arsonists videos of fire spreading like the ones posted in this thread, demonstrating that a fire can come to engulf an entire house in minutes.

Among the focus groups we've run for people who have participated in the treatment program, these videos are consistently rated as among the most memorable parts of the program. They surprised even me and this is an area I work in - I find reading stories about this recent fire to be uniquely terrifying because I can imagine exactly how quickly and thoroughly the fire would have gotten out of control.

Part of our research is showing that people who have a lot of experience with fire (for example, because they live in a rural area where trash burning or bonfires are more common) tend to have better predictive ability for how quickly a fire can get out of control. This may sound really obvious but we've also found that people who have actual experience with fire tend to put their confidence about their knowledge of fire at about the same level as people who little to no actual experience with fire.

Did you ever have someone who was for lack of a better term "excited" to watch videos like that?

How do you treat someone who is a serial arsonist? Is that covered under the DSM?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Serrath posted:

We're finding more and more that arson offenders are characterised by high levels of trait aggression but without the social assertiveness or communication ability to resolve their aggression directly so they resort to fire, some as a symbolic act (only something so destructive is consummate to how aggrieved I feel) or because they feel so socially/communicatively disempowered that fire is literally the only way they can think of to sublimate their aggression.
So starting out as a person with a lot of social anxiety -- leaving aside online communication -- I'm more likely to become an arsonist than a murderer?

e: I act out my rage with strong letters to the New York Times. So far it's having no effect, but hey, give it another thousand years.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 5, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So starting out as a person with a lot of social anxiety -- leaving aside online communication -- I'm more likely to become an arsonist than a murderer?

e: I act out my rage with strong letters to the New York Times. So far it's having no effect, but hey, give it another thousand years.

How the hell did you reach the conclusion? There's no assertion of likelihood of one over the other. It's a statement based on a pre-selected sample of people who are already arsonists.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Speaking of fire, a few days ago as I was heating my home I got to thinking "oh hey it's 2016 and literally every day in the cold seasons if I gently caress up doing this mundane chore I'll die in my sleep :lol:".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Speaking of fire, a few days ago as I was heating my home I got to thinking "oh hey it's 2016 and literally every day in the cold seasons if I gently caress up doing this mundane chore I'll die in my sleep :lol:".

?

Do you not have smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I got a correction published last week. :shobon:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This happened last Friday in Sioux Falls:

Because apparently they thought they didn't need shoring to remove a load bearing wall. (or a permit either)

http://www.kare11.com/news/building-collapses-in-sioux-falls-two-trapped/362069041

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Make them more incendiary

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

flosofl posted:

This happened last Friday in Sioux Falls:

Because apparently they thought they didn't need shoring to remove a load bearing wall. (or a permit either)

http://www.kare11.com/news/building-collapses-in-sioux-falls-two-trapped/362069041

From the twitter feed at the bottom of that page:

https://twitter.com/Argus911/status/805762845950484480

https://twitter.com/Argus911/status/805765137139384320

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A very large load-bearing hamburger.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Make them more incendiary

boo

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrl3ex7w6nA

I'm the guy pushing the airplane back into place.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Bwuh?

This is exactly the same reasoning that looks at a bunch of heroin addicts, sees that they started smoking pot before they became addicted to heroin, and concludes that pot smokers are more likely to become heroin addicts than productive citizens.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just a snowy day in Philadelphia....

https://twitter.com/JGinsberg311/status/805111406886617089?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Oh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrl2cKzGMGs

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

flosofl posted:

How the hell did you reach the conclusion? There's no assertion of likelihood of one over the other. It's a statement based on a pre-selected sample of people who are already arsonists.

:thejoke:

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I used to work at a museum with just terrible fire safety. There was one main entrance, and one rear entrance for a two story building. with a capacity for around 80 people. Oil heated, with a kitchen, and a fireplace. The large windows, on both the first and second stories were covered by metal grating. Good thing about the rear emergency exit! Too bad that it's locked, and can't be opened from the inside without a key.

I pointed this out to the museum director, who used to be the local fire chief, and he showed me that everything was ok, there was a hidden key in the fire alarm box. I wanted to sit him down and show him videos of a crowd crush situation, but knew it would do no good. And the grating wasn't a problem, because he had a set of bolt cutters in his office, on the second floor.

I'm glad I no longer work there, for many, many reasons.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

We've got FOOOOAAAAAM!!! :pram:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

We've got FOOOOAAAAAM!!! :pram:

:gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hmm yes the fire suppression at what I know to be an enormous transformer has activated. Let me move closer to the window.