Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

my wrx can hold a circle in an empty parking lot until the intercooler overheats and I need to force winter air down the scoop to cool it down, but the bimmer can do it until it runs out of gas

confidentially the wife's Dakota spins tries and bashes into the closest curb without 200 lbs of ballast over the rear axle.

balance yo trux in da sno

HATECUBE fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
This thread is 909 as gently caress.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I drive an FJ Cruiser can I post here? :shrug:

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
TOO LATE I ALREADY DID

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Breakfast Feud posted:

Apparently it's a thing in states with inspections. You slap on the tiny wheels for inspection day and then put your 45" deep tread offroad tires back on when you get home before jerking off furiously in your garage to the thought of parking it with one wheel up on the curb at the nearest hooters.

According to wiki, Giant food has stores in VA, MD, DE, and DC, so maybe. I'm in NoVA, and I've never had to swap tires for inspection on my truck, but I also don't have a retarded jacked up bro truck

HATECUBE posted:

my wrx can hold a circle in an empty parking lot until the intercooler overheats and I need to force winter air down the scoop to cool it down, but the bimmer can do it until it runs out of gas

confidentially the wife's Dakota spins tries and bashes into the closest curb without 200 lbs of ballast over the rear axle.

balance yo trux in da sno

You're making me really miss my misspent youth. We used to make doughnut videos in the mall parking lot before youtube was a thing

My caprice would spin around until the whole thing got too hot and started popping fuses. Then it'd be stuck in 3rd gear until you swapped out whatever had blown. Good times, good times

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 5, 2016

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Michigan spits on your inspections and I see more suv familymobiles than bro trucks in ditches every year

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

VikingSkull posted:

base model Silverados are like 28k

which I guess isn't cheap but it's not 35k either

they do make trucks without 4WD

I maintain a state fleet and we just bought 2 completely stripped half-ton Dodge pickups. Not one single option on them except they're four-door. Steel wheels, V-6, cloth seats, 2WD, rubber floor mats. With the state discount, $29,970. That's a lot of money for a stripper, IMO.

In their defense, they're a lot nicer than old stripper pickups were, and the V-6 is plenty quick, although I'm a little nervous about the 8-speed ZF automatic.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

I hope you like replacing valve bodies

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I think those wheel diameter things might be a Cali thing? Maybe the dude had to scale down after the bank refused a second mortgage to cover the costs on a flat?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Breakfast Feud posted:

I think those wheel diameter things might be a Cali thing? Maybe the dude had to scale down after the bank refused a second mortgage to cover the costs on a flat?

lollin at the idea of calis trying to be redneck

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Breakfast Feud posted:

That's a Giant Food parking lot, which is a mid-atlantic thing

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

HATECUBE posted:

Michigan spits on your inspections and I see more suv familymobiles than bro trucks in ditches every year

It's because SUVs give you that false sense of security. If you're in an econobox you're going to drive slow because you know "this car isn't meant for snow" while the SUV is shown on the commercial doing poo poo like stopping on a dime in a hockey rink or some poo poo and it's got all those AWD/4WD badges all over it, and wow hey it really takes off like you wouldn't believe across this iced up road might as well do 5 over the limit like I always do...

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Blast of Confetti posted:

dude Cali has the worst brodozer culture in the Hemisphere. Coal Rollers? Calis got that. Fuckin' Cali lifts are where you put on half the lift kit so your truck looks like some diseased approximation of a RedBull trophy truck

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HATECUBE posted:

I hope you like replacing valve bodies

Breakfast Feud posted:

Nah, it's like a new fad, I see it all over now. Big rear end 1ton extracab pickup, at least a 6-8" lift, with wide-but-small-diameter tires. They look incredibly stupid and I don't understand the appeal.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
plus any SUV from before like 2005 basically takes every chance it can get to roll over because they're so topheavy

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Blast of Confetti posted:

You've never been to Bakersfield, I see.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

JnnyThndrs posted:

I maintain a state fleet and we just bought 2 completely stripped half-ton Dodge pickups. Not one single option on them except they're four-door. Steel wheels, V-6, cloth seats, 2WD, rubber floor mats. With the state discount, $29,970. That's a lot of money for a stripper, IMO.

In their defense, they're a lot nicer than old stripper pickups were, and the V-6 is plenty quick, although I'm a little nervous about the 8-speed ZF automatic.

yeah the quad cabs are expensive

I just priced out a stripper regular cab and it came in under $26k

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
I worked in a gardening store and I tossed a bag of peat moss into the bed of a guys F150. He was like "Whoa! Don't make a mess!". I thought the bed was empty, it was spotless, and you could tell nothing productive had been done with it, but when I peered over the side down behind the driver there was a box for a fondue kit. Sissy.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Well they made Cherokees/XJs with the 4.0 until 2001, but other than that you're right.

Yeah my bad I got the year wrong. I think 96 was instead the year before the last major model upgrade.

I had a 94 and they had some electrical issues. My whole system finally went haywire at like 300k miles and my mechanic couldnt figure it out, said it was gonna cost more than the car was worth to send to an electrical guy to fix. I should have just paid the couple of grand in retrospect for a full teardown of the wiring. The block had been remachined at like 200k and all the cylinders checked out and regasketed and so on. Could have easily and happily milked another joyous 100k out of that beast. gently caress.

My mom used to laugh at how in love with that car I was, and called it a boy car. Its true. Those XJs were totally boy cars. Look everyone I am driving a set of two rectangles! So loving cool.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Breakfast Feud posted:

dude Cali has the worst brodozer culture in the Hemisphere. Coal Rollers? Calis got that. Fuckin' Cali lifts are where you put on half the lift kit so your truck looks like some diseased approximation of a RedBull trophy truck

I happily imagine them driving their poo poo rear end brodozer out to the range to fire 10 shots from their bullet-button-flipper-baby AR abominations

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Flocons de Jambon posted:

I worked in a gardening store and I tossed a bag of peat moss into the bed of a guys F150. He was like "Whoa! Don't make a mess!". I thought the bed was empty, it was spotless, and you could tell nothing productive had been done with it, but when I peered over the side down behind the driver there was a box for a fondue kit. Sissy.

Did you then slaughter his pansy rear end and dip him bit by bit in molten cheese?

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

Breakfast Feud posted:

It's because SUVs give you that false sense of security. If you're in an econobox you're going to drive slow because you know "this car isn't meant for snow" while the SUV is shown on the commercial doing poo poo like stopping on a dime in a hockey rink or some poo poo and it's got all those AWD/4WD badges all over it, and wow hey it really takes off like you wouldn't believe across this iced up road might as well do 5 over the limit like I always do...

trail rated, bro

I could wax nerd and agree that ppl driving shitters and manual beaters are more connected to the frailty and connection to the machine... pay more attention to momentum and engine speed

and I'd be right because they do. your parents never put a caprice up a tree in snow, ya they wrecked that 'cuda on a flat desert road but there was a prescient that pbr can't dissolve

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

HATECUBE posted:

trail rated, bro

I could wax nerd and agree that ppl driving shitters and manual beaters are more connected to the frailty and connection to the machine... pay more attention to momentum and engine speed

and I'd be right because they do. your parents never put a caprice up a tree in snow, ya they wrecked that 'cuda on a flat desert road but there was a prescient that pbr can't dissolve

They do because they have to. But there are also plenty of people driving shitters that just shouldn't be driving.

If your parents were driving a caprice in the snow, then good on them, because that's a treacherous beast

gently caress, I wish I still had my old Scottsdale....I mean, ignoring the broken frame and rusted bed, it was great fun. 5 speed manual with a 5.7(maybe more?) v-8 with aftermarket cams and heads. Also, no exhaust. That part didn't fly with the inspectors, no matter what I did with the weight on the title...

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 5, 2016

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Beaters are safer. Ever since SUVs gained popularity here there have been so many cases of people driving right the gently caress over curbs, through fences and into houses, grandmas slowly driving through buildings because they forgot what they were doing and one death where a 16 year old girl in an Explorer with 4x4 engaged panicked on a bridge in the winter and didn't let off the gas pedal after swinging a hard right and driving up and over the snowbank and bridge guardrail respectively.

Also @ that goon who sold his jeep because of electrical issues: should have just sat there and re-loomed it by yourself tbh

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
you haven't truly lived until you've driven a back halved and fully caged Vega with a tunnel rammed 355 in the snow, tbh

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

VikingSkull posted:

you haven't truly lived until you've driven a back halved and fully caged Vega with a tunnel rammed 355 in the snow, tbh

So, what you're saying is that you haven't truly lived until you've almost died?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BLARGHLE posted:

So, what you're saying is that you haven't truly lived until you've almost died?

yeah more or less

I mean, it wasn't a huge storm but my buddy and I got caught out in it (his car) and boy howdy was my rear end in a top hat puckered

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Breakfast Feud posted:

Also @ that goon who sold his jeep because of electrical issues: should have just sat there and re-loomed it by yourself tbh

Yeah I've found out since that it is totally doable. I'm not much of a mechanic though and at that time I was irrationally afraid of car electrical systems for some reason. gently caress again. I suck.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Not quite a pickup but my dream car is an IH Scout 2. They don't make them like that anymore

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

in this cold gay world of SE michigan I see beaters and shitboxes everywhere. I also see brotrucks and subarus, everyone that isn't is an suv

the shitbeaters are alive in the snow because of necessity. the brotrucks and subarus thrive because they were born to. the vettes and stangs are there because they know how to gently caress, and the SUVs are on their sides because they can't

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Do they have any hybrid pickups yet?

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

HATECUBE posted:

in this cold gay world of SE michigan I see beaters and shitboxes everywhere. I also see brotrucks and subarus, everyone that isn't is an suv

the shitbeaters are alive in the snow because of necessity. the brotrucks and subarus thrive because they were born to. the vettes and stangs are there because they know how to gently caress, and the SUVs are on their sides because they can't

I call bullshit. Most mustangs can't even drive on a flat, straight, dry road.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

VikingSkull posted:

I had to drive a tubbed '68 Chevelle about three blocks in a light rain, and the combination of huge slicks and a spool made it spin a 360 randomly if you went over 25mph. The 4000 stall speed converter didn't help either. I had to be pried out of the seat because my sphincter was gripping the vinyl so tightly.

Three-Phase posted:

Do they have any hybrid pickups yet?

There's a lovely partial-hybrid Chevy truck that PG&E uses, it adds like 1mpg to the mileage or something, but I believe it's only sold to fleet customers.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 5, 2016

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Nathilus posted:

Yeah I've found out since that it is totally doable. I'm not much of a mechanic though and at that time I was irrationally afraid of car electrical systems for some reason. gently caress again. I suck.

No shame in it man, we've all been there. Now buy another one of the same and atone for your sins.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I drive a 14-year-old Volkswagen because I make bad decisions but that piece of poo poo will still drive I tell you hwut. Once I'm done with it maybe I'll donate it to the Free Syrian Army so it'll go out in a fiery Russian explosion.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

BLARGHLE posted:

when you can only afford one car and it's a v6 mustang that's what you take to work

when you won't drive the family Nissan quest because it's gay and the only other thing you have is a 5.0, that's michigan

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

BLARGHLE posted:

In Indiana Mustangs might be the most common winter car

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

JnnyThndrs posted:

There's a lovely partial-hybrid Chevy truck that PG&E uses, it adds like 1mpg to the mileage or something, but I believe it's only sold to fleet customers.

There are a few hybrid trucks and SUVs, and they all suck balls.

HATECUBE posted:

when you can only afford one car and it's a v6 mustang that's what you take to work

when you won't drive the family Nissan quest because it's gay and the only other thing you have is a 5.0, that's michigan

If the only thing you can afford is a v-6 mustang, then you hosed up somewhere

Genderfluent posted:

In Indiana Mustangs might be the most common winter car

It's BMW and Mercedes here, which is probably just as bad, except that some of them come in AWD

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 5, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
trigger warning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Seriously a 1MPG difference? Geez and I though going from 26 to 34 wasn't that great.

• Locked thread