Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Mazerunner posted:

not trying to be rude, but I think it'd help if you knew what the items did :v:

zap plate boosts electric moves by 20%. The healing is from jolteon's ability volt absorb, nothing to do with the item.

Life Orb boosts all moves by 30% at the cost of draining your life by 10%. For a strong speedy attacker like Jolteon this is a worthwhile trade off because you can k.o. or significantly damage many pokemon, and you're fragile anyway so you'd be going down easily even without life orb's chip damage.

Thunder- yes it's very powerful, and yes it's very very powerful in the rain, but it's not really worth wasting a turn using rain dance since jolteon is so fragile (and they could switch in their own weather users or cloud 9ers or whatever). Just use thunderbolt. In addition getting rid of rain dance lets you run another move for coverage.

Now if you wanted to create a whole rain team, like with a pelipper that can start rain just by switching in with its ability drizzle, then yes use jolteon with thunder.

See this is why I wanna fight you guys, you know what you're doing but not enough to be game breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

g0lbez posted:

Here we go... my amazing team:

TOP THREE (IE: dudes I use in link battles)

Jolteon (Zap Plate)
Thunder
Discharge
Rain Dance
Toxic

Slowbro (Psychinium Z)
Psychic
Yawn
Focus Blast
Dream Eater

Absol (Absolite) [and he's shiny~~]
Giga Impact
Night Slash
Swords Dance
Sucker Punch

There's my all-star team. Tell me why I suck

Alright. So you got a team that would be fine in game against the AI (like story AI) but against anything else it would get demolished. Slowbro and Absol share a bug weakness, which isn't common but could hurt you with the buff to life leech. There is no synergy between the three- usually have pokemon that resist what the others are weak to is a good way to do this. Items- they are pretty important and can make or break a good pokemon. Your zap plate on jolteon is the worst thing ever. Of course, the hardest thing is getting these items because you need to get BP and a lot of them. And the only way to do that is to do whatever the post game battle arena thing is. And let me tear into the pokemon in depth:

Jolteon: it has a lot of kill power but it is also a glass cannon. So it should be focusing on dmg. Set up will just get it killed- get rid of raindance and toxic. Leave those for other bulkier pokemon. FYI: Pelipper and HA Politoad have drizzle with automatically sets rain when they appear in the field.
Slowbro- Yawn really only forces a switch and isn't reliable when putting things asleep bc of that. So if you keep it (with the goal is trying to force your opponent to switch) you should get rid of dream eater. No one is gonna let their pokemon fall asleep. So that wastes a move slot. Remember when I mentioned bulkier pokemon should set up? Slowbro is bulky- give him toxic if you want that on your team. He learns recover right? If he does, Toxic, Recover, Protect and Psychic with leftovers. There are other movesets you can play with too. Slowbro is cool
Absol- Another pokemon that is a little fragile. Get rid of giga impact. It does dmg to it and you need your guys to stay alive right? don't help your opponent. Suckerpunch is fine but you need to predict the opponent's turn. Swords dance is great, but be careful you can end up either getting hurt while setting up or they can also set up.

Smogon is a great place to start, but remember that this is a community with their own rules and don't necessarily match up with the official VGC. Pokémon Showdown can get you some side seats to battles so that you can study what people are playing with what movesets and strategies.

Lastly, if you love these guys, there is room for them on a team together, you just have to fiddle around with movesets and items and the other 3 pokemon.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Tornhelm, you gonna be around tonight? I know we've traded before, and you have a boatload of BB mons I don't, so I want to swap you. Let me know what you want.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 5, 2016

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

cancerianmoth posted:

Alright. So you got a team that would be fine in game against the AI (like story AI) but against anything else it would get demolished. Slowbro and Absol share a bug weakness, which isn't common but could hurt you with the buff to life leech. There is no synergy between the three- usually have pokemon that resist what the others are weak to is a good way to do this. Items- they are pretty important and can make or break a good pokemon. Your zap plate on jolteon is the worst thing ever. Of course, the hardest thing is getting these items because you need to get BP and a lot of them. And the only way to do that is to do whatever the post game battle arena thing is. And let me tear into the pokemon in depth:

Jolteon: it has a lot of kill power but it is also a glass cannon. So it should be focusing on dmg. Set up will just get it killed- get rid of raindance and toxic. Leave those for other bulkier pokemon. FYI: Pelipper and HA Politoad have drizzle with automatically sets rain when they appear in the field.
Slowbro- Yawn really only forces a switch and isn't reliable when putting things asleep bc of that. So if you keep it (with the goal is trying to force your opponent to switch) you should get rid of dream eater. No one is gonna let their pokemon fall asleep. So that wastes a move slot. Remember when I mentioned bulkier pokemon should set up? Slowbro is bulky- give him toxic if you want that on your team. He learns recover right? If he does, Toxic, Recover, Protect and Psychic with leftovers. There are other movesets you can play with too. Slowbro is cool
Absol- Another pokemon that is a little fragile. Get rid of giga impact. It does dmg to it and you need your guys to stay alive right? don't help your opponent. Suckerpunch is fine but you need to predict the opponent's turn. Swords dance is great, but be careful you can end up either getting hurt while setting up or they can also set up.

Smogon is a great place to start, but remember that this is a community with their own rules and don't necessarily match up with the official VGC. Pokémon Showdown can get you some side seats to battles so that you can study what people are playing with what movesets and strategies.

Lastly, if you love these guys, there is room for them on a team together, you just have to fiddle around with movesets and items and the other 3 pokemon.

You're a doll, thanks for the legit reply. I'll tell you reasons why I have these moves:

Zap Plate as I mentioned in my previous post has done an immense job in slathering dudes strong against Thunder moves. One reason is cuz the Jolteon I have happens to have MAX EVs in special attack.

As for Yann, that's basically a move I use against the LAST poke I fight so that he/she CAN'T switch out. I then use that opportunity to switch over to Mega Absol (and side note, this Absol is the first shiny I ever got eer so I'm attached to it) who can just used Sowrds Dance and witth it's uper high ATK just dominate with Night Slash.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Why ask for advice if you're just gonna insist Zap Plate is better than Life Orb and ignore the advice about getting rid of Toxic and Rain Dance?

You also didn't mention what natures, IVs, EVs and abilities you're using.

Muk-Alola @ Aguav Berry
Nature: Sassy
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Atk / 164 Spe
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab / Gunk Shot
- Protect

That's the standard format for posting a Pokemon when asking for online advice.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

g0lbez posted:

Zap Plate as I mentioned in my previous post has done an immense job in slathering dudes strong against Thunder moves. One reason is cuz the Jolteon I have happens to have MAX EVs in special attack.
Zap Plate is +20%. Life Orb is +30%. You'd have to specifically want to NOT take the Life Orb recoil damage, but Jolteon's already a glass cannon.

...also, uh, don't they all have max EVs in two relevant stats? Because they should.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
My original deal still stands though, I will battle anyone here immediately. Games is a popular forum so I expect some competition here!

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Why ask for advice if you're just gonna insist Zap Plate is better than Life Orb and ignore the advice about getting rid of Toxic and Rain Dance?

You also didn't mention what natures, IVs, EVs and abilities you're using.

Muk-Alola @ Aguav Berry
Nature: Sassy
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Atk / 164 Spe
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab / Gunk Shot
- Protect

That's the standard format for posting a Pokemon when asking for online advice.

Not at all! I asked for advice but I was just saying why I had those items equipped in the first place, that's all. I'm not ignoring advice!

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

g0lbez posted:

You're a doll, thanks for the legit reply. I'll tell you reasons why I have these moves:

As for Yann, that's basically a move I use against the LAST poke I fight so that he/she CAN'T switch out. I then use that opportunity to switch over to Mega Absol (and side note, this Absol is the first shiny I ever got eer so I'm attached to it) who can just used Sowrds Dance and witth it's uper high ATK just dominate with Night Slash.

Oh definitely use pokemon you love! In XY, I used Finneon, Masquerain, and Heliolisk (1st shiney ever since playing RBY). They created a sort of rain team base. It didn't win a lot of battles but boy was it fun. People misjudged my team and got wiped pretty quickly (raindance, quiver dance, baton pass) or they completely walled my team. Just play with the best versions of your pokemon and play to their strengths and pick 3 more pokemon to cover their weaknesses.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh, for what it's worth, Jolteon also has some pretty sweet coverage. Don't know if it got any more moves of various types this gen, but the second set on Smogon's page for X/Y Jolteon reminded me that it gets Signal Beam, and then can Volt Switch out. Hidden Power manipulation fuckin sucks though so don't bother doing that :v:

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Zap Plate is +20%. Life Orb is +30%. You'd have to specifically want to NOT take the Life Orb recoil damage, but Jolteon's already a glass cannon.

...also, uh, don't they all have max EVs in two relevant stats? Because they should.

Jolteon no, does not have max stats in his relevant IV's. Absol on the other hand has hyper training in literally every stat except SP ATK and HP. The advice I've been getting is for random 1v1s and not VGC competition poo poo I'm guessing?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

g0lbez posted:

My original deal still stands though, I will battle anyone here immediately. Games is a popular forum so I expect some competition here!

I'll go a few rounds with you on Showdown. I'm Arrgy over there.

EDIT: What format is this for too?

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 5, 2016

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'll go a few rounds with you on Showdown. I'm Arrgy over there.

Excellent, tell these "goons" gosh darnit that I'm actually a OKAY

friend code is 5112-3518-9587

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Cool, got a Shiny 6IV Type Null with Pokerus from wonder trade named Wim Hof. Sadly its at level 100.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

g0lbez posted:

Excellent, tell these "goons" gosh darnit that I'm actually a OKAY

friend code is 5112-3518-9587

Oh, Showdown is a website that let's you simulate battles. It's great to test teams out before you spend hours breeding them. For example, I'm currently on hour five of breeding my team. I'm not even half done.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Lost at Round 29 of the Battle Tree to a dumb mistake I made in thinking I could Ice Beam one-shot Hydreigon. Shoulda just went with High Jump Kick, but I really get anxious about it missing at a critical juncture. Goodra getting a crit with Outrage probably didn't help either, but I'm going to blame myself more than the RNG this time around.

That really sucks though; if you beat Round 30, you get a free Bottle Cap every day, right? That coulda been nice.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Alxprit posted:

Lost at Round 29 of the Battle Tree to a dumb mistake I made in thinking I could Ice Beam one-shot Hydreigon. Shoulda just went with High Jump Kick, but I really get anxious about it missing at a critical juncture. Goodra getting a crit with Outrage probably didn't help either, but I'm going to blame myself more than the RNG this time around.

That really sucks though; if you beat Round 30, you get a free Bottle Cap every day, right? That coulda been nice.
I believe it's "if you beat round 30 and come back the next day, you get a Bottle Cap" - the rewards reset daily, I think. I'm still breeding so I haven't tested that, though.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Speaking of breeding I'm at 3 boxes of Cubone without a 6IV Lightning Rod.

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 5, 2016

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Timid or Jolly Tapu Koko?

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

Jarogue posted:

About to start breeding some Gible soon, should I go for jolly or adamant?

Jolly

Note Block posted:

Timid or Jolly Tapu Koko?

Timid

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

So is it pretty much impossible to get destiny knot dittos on GTS if none of my mons are lvl 91+ or do I just have awful luck every time I check?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
what's up with pheromosa? It seems crazy fast already, so would it be better modest/adamant then? Or what about a mixed set?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Kooriken posted:

So what's the fastest way to get dudes to level 100 for Hyper Training? Just grinding the E4/hoping you get a good Rare Kitchen in Festival Plaza?

I would also like to know the answer to this question. This grinding is killing me.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Speaking of breeding I'm at 3 boxes of Cubone without a 6IV Lightning Rod.

you dont need 6 iv's

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Ruggington posted:

you dont need 6 iv's

I haven't found one with 5 IV in everything except SpA either.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mazerunner posted:

what's up with pheromosa? It seems crazy fast already, so would it be better modest/adamant then? Or what about a mixed set?
It's crazy fast but you want Beast Boost to boost Speed because it's also already crazy hard-hitting.

thehoodie posted:

I would also like to know the answer to this question. This grinding is killing me.
Good Rare Kitchen is the best way I know of - the 5* ones can feed the mon until it hits 90 (so, at best, level 89 > 96) then Elite 4 grind beyond that. Which is lovely, but hey. If Pickup tables scale by level and make Rare Candies way more common than they are at like 1-10 that might be a thing, but I haven't heard any noise suggesting it.

Unrelated: Got a Beast Ball Totodile off the GTS in exchange for... a level 1 Lapras?!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

It was wrong of me to imprison these noble beasts.

Go now, play, and be free!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
You're not even feeding them, you monster.

(Are they still flowing in for Castforms? I traded my 10% away but I do want a living dex.)

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Burger McAngus posted:

So is it pretty much impossible to get destiny knot dittos on GTS if none of my mons are lvl 91+ or do I just have awful luck every time I check?

Bad luck. I was looking for one earlier this week and would either get sniped because I searched too late or people want 91+ stuff. Just keep checking and at some point you'll get one. Try keeping semi-rare things on hand in a box you'd remember to look in so that when you do find one you can actually trade for, you don't get sniped while you're fumbling through your boxes. Things like trade evos, Weavile, Scizor, etc.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

This thread seems pretty down on competitive Pokemon battling. I've never done it; what sort of things should I expect going into this before I spend some dozens of hours grinding up a team? I'm especially interested in knowing how many different 'mons are viable, or if it's all legendaries all the way down. That'd be pretty boring.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Sockser posted:

Finally you upgrade your kennel to have a dog park

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Would anyone be interested in some Moon Ball Dhelmise after I have the nursery start cranking them out? No particular reason I went with a Moon Ball for Dhelmise other than liking how it looks.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Alxprit posted:

I really don't like using >100 accuracy moves in the Battle Tree for that very reason. You have far less room to screw up since the formats are either 3v3 or 4v4. Playing defensively and conservatively is the name of the game in the Battle Tree. A move like High Jump Kick is way too risky to use there. Not only is the 10% crippling in desperate situations, it's ridiculously unforgiving with the 50% max HP penalty for missing.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You're not even feeding them, you monster.

(Are they still flowing in for Castforms? I traded my 10% away but I do want a living dex.)

I haven't been asking for legendaries, but basically every time i check my GTSed castforms they've already been traded no matter how quickly i check back. asking for 91+ dittos was the only thing that seemed to take any appreciable time

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

Would anyone be interested in some Moon Ball Dhelmise after I have the nursery start cranking them out? No particular reason I went with a Moon Ball for Dhelmise other than liking how it looks.

I will take a lunar anchor

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Dr. Fetus posted:

I really don't like using >100 accuracy moves in the Battle Tree for that very reason. You have far less room to screw up since the formats are either 3v3 or 4v4. Playing defensively and conservatively is the name of the game in the Battle Tree. A move like High Jump Kick is way too risky to use there. Not only is the 10% crippling in desperate situations, it's ridiculously unforgiving with the 50% max HP penalty for missing.

The issue is if there was a better option for Pheromosa, I'd use it. As it stands I don't think it can learn anything half as good that's 100% accurate.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

just got this game last week, i'm floored by how much more personality this game has then any other iteration i can remember
i'm having a hard time settling on a team though, there's a lot of type overlap in the critters i like
also charjabug not being able to evolve until like the end of the game is dumb

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

AriadneThread posted:

also charjabug not being able to evolve until like the end of the game is dumb
Yeah, that was a real misplay on their part, Charjabug rocks and Crabrawler should be cool even if it turned out to be garbage so why wouldn't you let them evolve sooner :(

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Sockser posted:

We finally know who let the dogs out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So what are the best shops in festival plaza? I've got a pink dye shop and a 4 star rare kitchen but everything else is kind of meh. Are there anything I should be looking out for?