Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished the story today and got the Regalia flying upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

As I get farther into the game I'm seeing more and more bits of the game that were likely obviously cut and it's a little sloppy. On the other hand, I'm seeing more and more bits of the game where the story starts to get a little too bogged down and I get FF13 flashbacks but then it all abruptly ends and goes back to being the video game I was playing before and I no longer mind the cut bits because the game is probably better off without them

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Is there a training dummy or something where I can actually practice all the combos and different moves my weapons supposedly have? Normal battles tend to be too chaotic for combo practice.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Zaphod42 posted:

In my game, in addition to the things you mentioned, Gladio also loving chewed me out over it, to the point where I was actually upset that it was not cool and not really in his character. Noct just lost his fiance and Gladio still is yelling at him super upset that Ignis lost his sight and blames Noct. So that's kinda huge and you're overlooking that part.
Nah, I'm not overlooking that, Gladio chews noctis out about Ignis being "hurt" and caring about himself when others are "worse off" or whatever but he never actually says anything about Ignis being completely blinded in his rant. Again, in hindsight its clear what happened, but during those scenes I guess I just figured Ignis lost one eye rather than getting completely blinded since he has that big nasty scar on just one side of his face.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ImpAtom posted:

No, in the demo you had to run away from him and then go on a quest to find Ramuh so he could one-shot him.

It frankly made more sense then this version where you have to COWER IN FEAR of him until you walk up and murder him

We have to track him back to his lair where he is vulnerable. Because of the explosive barrels that happen to be in his lair for some reason.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I just got around to watching the Brotherhood anime and at this point I feel like the actual story would've been better as an anime than a game. Definitely check it out because there's a lot of really good character development that they mostly gloss over in the game.

Honestly, at this point I'd pay DLC for a more fully formed version of the game, or some kind of "Ultimate Final Fantasy XV" or "Final Fantasy XV Subsistence." It's probably bad to say that but there are so many good ideas that get swept to the wayside, so much potential that was just kind of lost between the cracks, that I would really appreciate having more aspects of the plot fleshed out and built on to be the game it really deserves to be. I know that that's kind of rewarding SE for something they should be punished for, so I hesitate to say that I'd condone such a thing, but there really is potential for growth.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Chapter 10 story stuff - I see Gladio's reaction as an extension of his behavior on the way down to Titan. It's fine for Noctis to grieve, but he's had time for that. He needs to pull his poo poo together and deal with very real and immediate problems, as a king should. In other words, he needs to be a leader. Otherwise, not only are others harmed / in danger, Gladio's role loses meaning because he's serving a chump. Noctis isn't acting in a way that's worthy of a family's tradition of devotion.

It's possible I'm seeing something that wasn't intended. In the very least, it could've been explained better (like, at all, outside of a cutscene several chapters before).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Grimace posted:

I just got around to watching the Brotherhood anime and at this point I feel like the actual story would've been better as an anime than a game. Definitely check it out because there's a lot of really good character development that they mostly gloss over in the game.

Honestly, at this point I'd pay DLC for a more fully formed version of the game, or some kind of "Ultimate Final Fantasy XV" or "Final Fantasy XV Subsistence." It's probably bad to say that but there are so many good ideas that get swept to the wayside, so much potential that was just kind of lost between the cracks, that I would really appreciate having more aspects of the plot fleshed out and built on to be the game it really deserves to be. I know that that's kind of rewarding SE for something they should be punished for, so I hesitate to say that I'd condone such a thing, but there really is potential for growth.

Papering over the holes in FFXV's script is impossible - there's literally room for a whole other AAA game in the gaps between major plot beats. That said, I don't think it's something SE should be "punished" for, since the patchwork mess we got was still clearly the work of a lot of very focused labor from a team that got a load of poo poo dropped on their laps. I don't want to blame Nomura for everything, but FFXV as we have it now is the result of Tabata and co. busting their asses to salvage one of the worst examples of upper-level creative mismanagement in recent history.

I'm looking forward to a Witcher 3-esque Complete edition on the PC, with appropriate performance boosts and all relevant DLC included. That's assuming the world doesn't end before then.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If I am understanding the ending correctly, Noct and his friends realize the entire world is hosed and they suicide and then the game ends.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're not.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm gonna have that Kingdom Hearts sounding walking around some fields music stuck in my head for a long time.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

I said come in! posted:

If I am understanding the ending correctly, Noct and his friends realize the entire world is hosed and they suicide and then the game ends.

That is a gross misunderstanding of the story (such as it is)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arist posted:

You're not.

Well it sure isn't a positive ending and it leaves itself open to a million different interpretations.

Legs Benedict posted:

That is a gross misunderstanding of the story (such as it is)

Not really though? I mean I mean we literally see Noct kill himself with his own sword and there are zero hints even that the world has been restored.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Well it sure isn't a positive ending and it leaves itself open to a million different interpretations.

It doesn't.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No it doesn't you literally see the sun rising again at the end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Not really though? I mean I mean we literally see Noct kill himself with his own sword and there are zero hints even that the world has been restored.

The very last shot of the game is the sun rising over the world.

You are drastically and 100% misunderstanding the ending. Noctis killed himself because the crystal demands a "blood price" to unleash its full power. Bahamut tells him that much.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

No it doesn't you literally see the sun rising again at the end.

You can't go from a literal suicide scene to the world is saved. For all we know we are seeing time travel or the after life, both of which are shown in previous cutscenes. You can't even access the end game content without time traveling, suggesting the world is still hosed after finishing the game. Plus the group is still the same when they do time travel in post game.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I said come in! posted:

You can't go from a literal suicide scene to the world is saved. For all we know we are seeing time travel or the after life, both of which are shown in previous cutscenes. You can't even access the end game content without time traveling, suggesting the world is still hosed after finishing the game.

ImpAtom posted:

The very last shot of the game is the sun rising over the world.

You are drastically and 100% misunderstanding the ending. Noctis killed himself because the crystal demands a "blood price" to unleash its full power. Bahamut tells him that much.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I said come in! posted:

You can't go from a literal suicide scene to the world is saved. For all we know we are seeing time travel or the after life, both of which are shown in previous cutscenes. You can't even access the end game content without time traveling, suggesting the world is still hosed after finishing the game. Plus the group is still the same when they do time travel in post game.

Maybe it's a legitimately smart design decision to allow players to go back and complete stuff if they want to.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Is it even possible to lose the leviathan fight, they really botched that poo poo it's so broken. I didnt even press any of the quicktime events and nothing changed I just did the attacks anyway.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Andrast posted:

Is there a training dummy or something where I can actually practice all the combos and different moves my weapons supposedly have? Normal battles tend to be too chaotic for combo practice.

Not that I've found but if you train at a camp you could use a weak weapon to keep yourself from taking out your buddies in just a few hits. That's how I got used to the different direction+circle moves.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Carmant posted:

Is it even possible to lose the leviathan fight, they really botched that poo poo it's so broken. I didnt even press any of the quicktime events and nothing changed I just did the attacks anyway.

It looked like something from when the game was on the PlayStation 3. The quality of that boss fight was terrible in comparison to the rest of the game. I noticed there are a lot of setpieces, locations, and fights from when the game was Versus XIII that didn't make it into this final version.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Which isn't the best tech to use with Ignis? I love regroup, but my friend is all in on the element one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

It looked like something from when the game was on the PlayStation 3. The quality of that boss fight was terrible in comparison to the rest of the game. I noticed there are a lot of setpieces, locations, and fights from when the game was Versus XIII that didn't make it into this final version.

The Leviathan fight is pretty clearly only in the game because it was the giant setpiece fight in every trailer and they were reluctant to cut it but it also just wasn't something well-polished or designed. It probably was finished early in development.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Which isn't the best tech to use with Ignis? I love regroup, but my friend is all in on the element one.

Just swap between them as needed.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The Leviathan fight is pretty clearly only in the game because it was the giant setpiece fight in every trailer and they were reluctant to cut it but it also just wasn't something well-polished or designed. It probably was finished early in development.

For what'a clearly a cutscene fight it's way too long and repetitive... Probably could have taken off some HP at least.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is from 5 plus years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ7MwTXYLpg to give you an idea of some of the sweeping huge changes the game went through. Most of the content in this trailer ended up being cut.

Here is another https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiIx9VJWSl8

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 5, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Triangle is horn. Idk how to put the top back on.

Oh. When I read that there was a horn, I was thinking like a unicorn horn as a hood ornament. Now I'm kinda disappointed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know, having played the game, I'd genuinely enjoy knowing what their reason was behind changing Stella to Luna. It isn't like anything else of the original VXIII really remains and Noctis and the Boys pretty clearly aren't the same guys, would anyone really have cared if they'd kept the character named Stella? It's such a weird change.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Here is where the game was FFXV back in 2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDucrHWAFdk almost none of this made it into the final version, we even see the Leviathan fight is almost entirely different from what we got.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I mean none of that content ever "existed" as it were, it was all CG, including the VS13 stuff.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So what stuff is unlocked in the postgame and where is it? This airship is a loving death trap of due note. I have never game overed in this game and I swear it's gonna happen from this thing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Here is where the game was FFXV back in 2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUSXub_ypU almost none of this made it into the final version, we even see the Leviathan fight is almost entirely different from what we got.

Makes "The would we purport to know is ever-changing, ending as we speak." pretty apt, then. :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Mark and whatever his 3-bar finisher is.

Also are people burning their 3-bars on Impulse or Trigger Happy? Haven't got the latter yet but if it's better in certain situations I might consider.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Here is where the game was FFXV back in 2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDucrHWAFdk almost none of this made it into the final version, we even see the Leviathan fight is almost entirely different from what we got.

Probably the biggest bummer for me was the Leviathan fight being completely changed. I was never under the impression that they were featuring actual gameplay in the trailer, but going from that to two groups of imperials before fighting Leviathan was a bit of a let down.

Beat the main story today. The ending got me pretty emotional.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 5, 2016

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

Noirex posted:

I haven't seen a Cactaur yet, I'm sad. Do they only appear in certain locations or levels?

I believe I murdered one just off the road in chapter three, by the meteor. 6000 xp IIRC

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Shoota_McG posted:

I believe I murdered one just off the road in chapter three, by the meteor. 6000 xp IIRC

I just killed one of those! I hope Prompto got a picture of it but he probably got an out-of-focus chunk of Gladio's shoulder that he'll apply an Instagram filter to

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just killed one of those! I hope Prompto got a picture of it but he probably got an out-of-focus chunk of Gladio's shoulder that he'll apply an Instagram filter to

Prompto is so great. :allears:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Holy poo poo the secret dungeon is incredible, I've been in here for two hours and I have no idea where it ends.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I said come in! posted:

If The others die fighting the demons like the fact they appear in the Astral realm (with Luna and Regis who are Dead) implies, it's about sacrficing yourself to save the world not a hopeless ending, by the rules and morals of the game world this is a noble and Moral act, not a depressing one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

The Grimace posted:

Personally, I hope this game does well enough that another, more talented developer takes the road trip concept and makes a better game out of it. There are at least 20 things about this game that irritate the hell out of me, problems both big and small, that I really feel like a better team would have caught.

• Locked thread