Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ghostlight posted:

You're missing out on some great art for the most unoriginal take on the Batman/Joker duality ever then.

Eh it's pretty derivative of Paul Pope's Batman stuff honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ghostlight posted:

You're missing out on some great art for the most unoriginal take on the Batman/Joker duality ever then.

Did some images not load for me? It seemed like some low budget Year 100 art to me.

EDIT: Oh, there's another page, and yes that's who I was thinking of purple death ray.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghostlight posted:

I'm not reading a Batman that opens with a ripoff of the ending of Se7en, guest starring Alfred.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

purple death ray posted:

Eh it's pretty derivative of Paul Pope's Batman stuff honestly
While that's very true, I'm not going to begrudge that it is a very well done derivation.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It was always meant to end on a Bill Hicks quote. Obviously.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

One last thing before the topic shifts but they also did a followup take on Superman

http://moonheadpress.blogspot.com/2014/01/gods-end.html

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

What a huge amount of garbage

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Is Godland any good?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Life cannot exist in any balance because entropy itself is its defining feature.

I still like the art.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Sinners Sandwich posted:

One last thing before the topic shifts but they also did a followup take on Superman

That was trash, but get a load of mustache Superman punching a missile on page 3.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

Is Godland any good?

Yes, very much so. Unless something ripping off Kirby, in a loving but shameless way, bothers you. If you go in accepting that it's great.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

So, Lois dying turns Superman into Dr. Manhattan with even more disdain for human life. I mean, Dr Manhattan leaves and tells humanity to go gently caress off, he's done. Superman turns into a vengeful judge and finds humanity not worth saving? That is pretty much the worst interpretation of Superman I've ever read.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It's not for everyone but I do like that fan comic The Deal, the one that like writes and ending for the Batman and Joker conflict
http://moonheadpress.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-deal.html

Content advisory

What the actual gently caress?

What's wrong with Batman's face? What is the soulmate poo poo?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Manhattan doesn't even tell humanity to gently caress off - at the end of the book he embraces his nascent godhood and decides to go make his own humanity with hookers and booze.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Manhattan doesn't even tell humanity to gently caress off - at the end of the book he embraces his nascent godhood and decides to go make his own humanity with hookers and booze.

And stealing 10 years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CzarChasm posted:

That is pretty much the worst interpretation of Superman I've ever read.

I'm not going to waste my time reading it, but that lines up with the Batman one posted.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm sure if I posted either of those pieces of poo poo on imgur or reddit it'd get a million points and tons of comments saying it's the best version of the characters they've ever seen.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

X-O posted:

Yes, very much so. Unless something ripping off Kirby, in a loving but shameless way, bothers you. If you go in accepting that it's great.

I agree. Like Kirby and Fantastic Four? Read Godland. I liked the first volume, but it really clicked for me when they went more and more cosmic with the story.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sure if I posted either of those pieces of poo poo on imgur or reddit it'd get a million points and tons of comments saying it's the best version of the characters they've ever seen.

It's easy to mistake tragedy for meaning.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

The internet is full of all kinds.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It's not for everyone but I do like that fan comic The Deal, the one that like writes and ending for the Batman and Joker conflict
http://moonheadpress.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-deal.html

Content advisory

These guys really need some chapstick.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Figures that if Alan Moore were Superman he'd just blow up the planet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Roth posted:

These guys really need some chapstick.

Figures that if Alan Moore were Superman he'd just blow up the planet.

Read his supreme

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Has there ever been an issue around Christmas where Ma Kent finds out that Batman doesn't have parents and so invites him to Christmas dinner or knits him a sweater or something?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

10 Beers posted:

Has there ever been an issue around Christmas where Ma Kent finds out that Batman doesn't have parents and so invites him to Christmas dinner or knits him a sweater or something?

There was a JLU episode that was sort of that.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I dont think Superman could have been assed to say so just let Supergirl take care of Martian Manhunters first Christmas with the Kents

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

10 Beers posted:

*happy Rockwell-esque scene of Superman, his family, and Batman all enjoying Christmas dinner*

*Alfred, alone, crying in the Batcave*

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, Bruce has Alfred and all the Robins and Batgirls and other assorted Gotham vigilantes. The only hard part is getting him to sit down and have dinner instead of GRR WHAT IF THE JOKER STRIKES GRRR CONSTANT VIGILANCE

Martian Manhunter, on the other hand, is totally alone. I think. I've never actually bothered to read up on his supporting cast, though in the last episode of JLU he has a wife.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The last time dick convinced Bruce to relax on Christmas joker kidnapped two cops including Jim Gordon and a reporter and tried to kill him with giant robots

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

10 Beers posted:

Ma Kent not knowing about Batman's parents was the cause of the best line in Identity Crisis. "I bet Batman doesn't treat his parents like this." All because Clark was insisting she didn't have to pay for her Daily Planet subscription.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, Bruce has Alfred and all the Robins and Batgirls and other assorted Gotham vigilantes. The only hard part is getting him to sit down and have dinner instead of GRR WHAT IF THE JOKER STRIKES GRRR CONSTANT VIGILANCE

Martian Manhunter, on the other hand, is totally alone. I think. I've never actually bothered to read up on his supporting cast, though in the last episode of JLU he has a wife.

Batman sitting?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Ma Kent not knowing about Batman's parents was the cause of the best line in Identity Crisis. "I bet Batman doesn't treat his parents like this." All because Clark was insisting she didn't have to pay for her Daily Planet subscription.

That was exactly the line that made me ask.
"Ma, Batman's parents were killed in front of him as a child. That's why he's Batman."
"You mean he's ALONE for CHRISTMAS?!?!?! Well that just won't do!"

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Why did Marvel comics forget about X-men supporting character Stevie Hunter? She was a dance instructer for Kitty and a friend of Storm's. Eventually she grew close enough house sit, mentor The New Mutants, run the Danger Room and even was trusted enough that Jessica Drew and Dazzler were perfectaly okay hanging in and out of costume with her.

I'm still reading Claremonts run so I don't know of he was the one to drift away from her first. She was just a cool character and I was suprised to see she made no future apperences after the 80s. Would even think she would be in that newer Storm solo a year back because pretty sure she had a supporting New yorkian cast in that.

Any other supporting characters in the two big universes just vanish on you?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Bunches and bunches. If you're not a superhero or a Lois Lane tier character you'll probably vanish off the face of the Earth the moment the next big status quo shakeup comes Someone might eventually remember you but that is a maybe.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pepper Potts and Happy Hogan mostly disappeared from Iron Man comics for twenty years until Heroes Reborn. They were not a part of most of his best eras.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lobok posted:

Pepper Potts and Happy Hogan mostly disappeared from Iron Man comics for twenty years until Heroes Reborn. They were not a part of most of his best eras.

Happy got killed so that Robert Downey Junior could bang movie-Pepper.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

prefect posted:

Happy got killed so that Robert Downey Junior could bang movie-Pepper.

Happy is no big loss. Reading through the old comics it's not hard to see why they jettisoned him. The best use they ever got out of him was when he would turn into Freak so that Iron Man could have his sympathetic Lizard-type villain but that got old and they had played every angle of the love triangle among him, Pepper, and Tony (even more tiresome if you had seen the same thing play out elsewhere like Daredevil).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lobok posted:

Happy is no big loss. Reading through the old comics it's not hard to see why they jettisoned him. The best use they ever got out of him was when he would turn into Freak so that Iron Man could have his sympathetic Lizard-type villain but that got old and they had played every angle of the love triangle among him, Pepper, and Tony (even more tiresome if you had seen the same thing play out elsewhere like Daredevil).

I liked that there was one woman who wasn't having sex with Tony. It was a nice exception.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Is Willie Lumpkin still around?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

prefect posted:

I liked that there was one woman who wasn't having sex with Tony. It was a nice exception.

Not for want of trying, though. And while Pepper was gone, there was the matronly secretary Mrs. Abrogast, his head of PR Marcy Pearson (Rhodey was the one sleeping with her), his startup partner Clytemnestra. No romance with them either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJay
Jul 25, 2005

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Why did Marvel comics forget about X-men supporting character Stevie Hunter? She was a dance instructer for Kitty and a friend of Storm's. Eventually she grew close enough house sit, mentor The New Mutants, run the Danger Room and even was trusted enough that Jessica Drew and Dazzler were perfectaly okay hanging in and out of costume with her.

I'm still reading Claremonts run so I don't know of he was the one to drift away from her first. She was just a cool character and I was suprised to see she made no future apperences after the 80s. Would even think she would be in that newer Storm solo a year back because pretty sure she had a supporting New yorkian cast in that.

No idea WHY she vanished but Stevie Hunter was around in the early 90's in The Muir Island Saga. That was right before the Blue/Gold tees and I can't recall seeing her after that. I think things just went nuts after that and people forgot about her.