Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

projecthalaxy posted:

The best part of the show, you mean.

no I actually hate the old funimation dub's generic superhero Goku

it's not as actively wrong as, say, your father was a BRILLIANT SCIENTIST but it still misses the mark in a way that completely kills it for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Blockhouse posted:

no I actually hate the old funimation dub's generic superhero Goku

it's not as actively wrong as, say, your father was a BRILLIANT SCIENTIST but it still misses the mark in a way that completely kills it for me

You should probably consider getting a better brain and not being Incorrect instead.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The only thing I've taken from this thread is that everyone's opinions are wrong and terrible.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
nah I'm good thanks

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i don't get why filler is such a tough concept. it's original material created to allow an anime to keep airing when it runs out of source material to adapt (or to conserve source material so the anime doesn't run out of source material). it's generally frowned upon cause it is usually terribly written.

people calling anything that doesn't directly advance an arc to its conclusion filler trigger me so loving hard

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blockhouse posted:

it's so loving grating and is the best example of bad voice acting being "just talk in a wacky voice and don't actually do any acting"

that's a weird thing to say considering that King Kai's Japanese voice barely ever emotes.
it's a good example of the worst aspects of seiyuu archetype casting.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Momomo posted:

His Supersonic Warriors story where he gets strong enough to beat Cell and Buu and he just gets to be with his wife and kids was the sweetest thing. Except the part where they still live with Roshi for some reason. That always seemed really weird to me.

Well yeah, that was before Krillin got a job as a cop, where else are they going to live?

I really hope we get an episode all about Officer Krillin at some point.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mraagvpeine posted:

The only thing I've taken from this thread is that everyone's opinions are wrong and terrible.

The internet is stupid.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Rhonne posted:

Well yeah, that was before Krillin got a job as a cop, where else are they going to live?

I really hope we get an episode all about Officer Krillin at some point.

It could definitely be fun. Having to constantly self monitor to make sure he's not accidentally revealing his superhuman powers, like the World Tournament punch machine scene or the end of The Incredibles. Being bulletproof is probably really handy for law enforcement.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also kinda unfair to Blame a VA when like everything you brought up seems to be related to a script or direction.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dexo posted:

Also kinda unfair to Blame a VA when like everything you brought up seems to be related to a script or direction.

Every other part of the script and direction has gotten better with each pass through the dub though

except for King Kai

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

If only there were some possible voice between Japanese King Kai's complete :geno: monotone and American King Kai's exuberant honking. Alas, none exist.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Blockhouse posted:

Every other part of the script and direction has gotten better with each pass through the dub though

except for King Kai

They realize that Linda Young was grating as Freeza and replaced her accordingly but they still haven't found anyone willing to be King Kai.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
King Kai is a comedic character first and foremost and no one likes him except Goku so maybe having an abrasive voice is good???

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Jedah posted:

Unfortunately, there was a good chunk of time when the English dub had only caught up to the Freeza saga, and, understandably, it took time for the dub to work its way through DBZ. In the mean time, I wanted more, so I searched out the original show in Japanese, and found some websites that offered VHS fansubs.

From that point on, I preferred the original Japanese cast and their interpretation of the characters. For example, listen to Japanese Cell. I thought the Japanese voice actor for Cell, Norio Wakamoto, did an outstanding job. I loved to hate him. He was everything a great villain should be!

Vegeta, Piccolo, Krillin, Mr. Satan, and many others have suiting voices that I really enjoy, too.

Really taking a bold stand here by saying Norio Wakamoto might be a good voice actor. So brave.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Welcome to page :420:420:420: everyone!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

HitTheTargets posted:

Really taking a bold stand here by saying Norio Wakamoto might be a good voice actor. So brave.

Well yeah, of course. Wakamoto is a national treasure. He absolutely captured the essence of Cell's character. Why wouldn't you mention him? His voice acting alone takes the Cell saga (which was already great to begin with) and bumps it up to something truly memorable and awesome. There are plenty of other heavy-hitting voice actors in the Japanese version, as I mentioned before. I also loved their voice actor choice for Freeza, and his entire fight with Goku on Namek.

Here's a bonus clip of Ryō Horikawa showing why he was perfectly cast to play Vegeta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNEATlYLd8E

And weren't a bunch of you guys recently praising the Japanese voice actor for Zamasu?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Jedah posted:

Well yeah, of course. Wakamoto is a national treasure. He absolutely captured the essence of Cell's character. Why wouldn't you mention him? His voice acting alone takes the Cell saga (which was already great to begin with) and bumps it up to something truly memorable and awesome. There are plenty of other heavy-hitting voice actors in the Japanese version, as I mentioned before. I also loved their voice actor choice for Freeza, and his entire fight with Goku on Namek.

Here's a bonus clip of Ryō Horikawa showing why he was perfectly cast to play Vegeta:

And weren't a bunch of you guys recently praising the Japanese voice actor for Zamasu?

The should have an enemy shown up wanting revenge for the planet Vegeta accidently exploded there. And do a what-if where he doesn't narrow the Final Flash so much, destroys Cell in an anticlimax but does massive damage to the earth.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

They realize that Linda Young was grating as Freeza and replaced her accordingly but they still haven't found anyone willing to be King Kai.

That wasn't the reason. The problem was they were trying to do a much more accurate dub for kai. Frieza is kinda eloquent and uses large words. Linda couldn't speak fast enough using her frieza voice to match the mouthflaps.

They went with Ayres after that. I'm glad they did since he's loving perfect.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdFh2RLSReQ

CAN DRAGON BALL Z SAVE THE DAY??

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That sure is King Piccolo.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I want that Super 13 figure.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Grandman Goku is fine but what the gently caress is up with Japanese Yajirobe

Mayumi Tanaka used the same voice she did with Kuririn (or Krillin, pick your poison) when he first appeared, then gave him a Nagoya accent in order to differentiate the two, and promptly forgot how to do Yajirobe's voice somewhere between One Piece and Dragon Ball Super. As previously mentioned, Toriyama felt bad about killing off Kuririn so he had Goku make the comment that Yajirobe sounded like Kuririn so Tanaka would voice him.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Majinfoose posted:

As previously mentioned, Toriyama felt bad about killing off Kuririn so he had Goku make the comment that Yajirobe sounded like Kuririn so Tanaka would voice him.

Sorta like how Franky partly exists in One Piece to give Mr. 2's voice actor consistent work.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I enjoyed the new episode of Dragon Ball Super that featured Arale-chan.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Oh my god, this latest episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
man greg ayres freeza is so loving good

he owns his role as much as sabat owns vegeta

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Blockhouse posted:

man greg ayres freeza is so loving good

he owns his role as much as sabat owns vegeta

I believe it's Chris Ayres.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pureauthor posted:

I believe it's Chris Ayres.

oh right got him confused with his brother

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
My favourite Freeza is LittleKuriboh's take on him, although I admit a lot of it is due to the quality of the lines he's given to work with.

"Oh please, everyone's always on about the children. I already tried sparing them, but all that happens is they grow up under my rule, or dedicate their pathetic lives to revenge. Usually both. Really, killing them is a kindness. I can retract that kindness if you want, but then who's the villain?"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The best part of Resurrection F was that it was an entire movie of hearing Chris Ayres say things.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pureauthor posted:

My favourite Freeza is LittleKuriboh's take on him, although I admit a lot of it is due to the quality of the lines he's given to work with.

"Oh please, everyone's always on about the children. I already tried sparing them, but all that happens is they grow up under my rule, or dedicate their pathetic lives to revenge. Usually both. Really, killing them is a kindness. I can retract that kindness if you want, but then who's the villain?"

The entire Goku Freezer dynamic in Abridged is better than what really happened I think.

They took what was there, what could have been there and what should have been there and jacked it up to eleven and it was great

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Jedah posted:

this is a great example of how inferior the japanese voices are

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Augus posted:

The best part of Resurrection F was that it was an entire movie of hearing Chris Ayres say things.

I really love the exchange between him and Bulma.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
whether you prefer the english va or the japanese va we can all agree that people who like anything about the abridged series are the real villains

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Ryaomon posted:

whether you prefer the english va or the japanese va we can all agree that people who like anything about the abridged series are the real villains

what

e: no, really, what? :catstare:

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 5, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah while I think people overrate the Abridged crew when comparing them to the real cast. DBZ Abridged is still fun and good most of the time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
At this point DBZA is just DBZ but better.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
now I want to rewatch resurrection f in english

"all hail vegeta, prince of no one"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Manatee Cannon posted:

alternatively, toriyama had no idea what to do with her and just wound up relegating chichi to bad jokes post timeskip

Toriyama only married Chichi to Goku because he didn't like drawing Chi-Chi and basically went "Well if you marry them, then you have to draw her." and basically just used that as his catalyst.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/son-goku-densetsu-toriyama-x-nakatsuru/

Who do you prefer: Bulma or Chi-Chi?

Toriyama:
To be honest, I’m really not fond of Chi-Chi as a character. (laughs) In the middle of the comic, I started to think, “I don’t want to draw her anymore,” and, sort of as a way of spiting myself, I decided, “you’ll have to draw her if she gets married to Goku, so marry them off!” So, I drew her as a kind of punishment. (laughs)

Nakatsuru:
So that was your reason behind it! (laughs)

Toriyama:
The women I draw all have the same sort of personality. I can’t draw gentle girls; I only know how to draw ones who are strong-willed.

• Locked thread