Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

I got the concerned emails in Korea. When KJU first took over and they had their big new leader pissing match it was constant since the US media was playing it up like the end of the world is nigh. If I hadn't been watching/reading US stuff I wouldn't have known anything was going on, nobody in SK gives a poo poo when NK has their temper tantrums.

People are pretty good at downing out annoying noises. Take lapdog owners for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The South Korean lapdogs of the American imperialist oppressors?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Koramei posted:

The Korean stance frustrates me more. "If it weren't for An Jung-geun, I'd be speaking in Japanese to you now!"

To which you reply, "Oh, is that the Korean name for General MacArthur?"

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Let us English posted:

I've lived abroad most of my adult life. Trump talking to Taiwan is the first time my parents ever reached out to me because they were concerned by what they saw on the news.

it's time to get out of China lol

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Well What Now posted:

China did play a huge role in Japan's defeat because that's where the vast majority of their huge army was stationed throughout the war, meaning they couldn't use them to protect all those islands that were hard enough for the US to take as it was.

While that is true I was trying to highlight to massively distorted view on WWII that they have, compared to what actually happened. Their contribution to the war doesn't resemble what they teach in Chinese schools or show on Chinese TV. The average person in China believes that China's contribution to the defeat of Japan was more in the form of giant battles with glorious decisive victories and banners waving, as opposed to tying up a shitload of IJA troops on garrison duties and partisan patrols. They're inclined to believe that officers on horseback with broomhandle mausers and waves of communists troops carrying flags caused the Japanese to surrender as opposed to their entire navy and merchant fleet being sunk, and most of their cities being reduced to ash.

Edit: This is also how they promoted a Korean War film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3CJ4R9hGMs

Blistex fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 5, 2016

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
wut about russia

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It was mostly the KMT who did the fighting anyways. CCP was just a bunch of tag alongs who used IJA left overs from Manchuria and snowballed behind the soviets.

KMT Casualties were crazy high.

Heck even the CCP guerillas didn't do that much near Hong Kong. They did help prisoners of war escape to Guilin and Sichuan

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

caberham posted:

It was mostly the KMT who did the fighting anyways. CCP was just a bunch of tag alongs who used IJA left overs from Manchuria and snowballed behind the soviets.

KMT Casualties were crazy high.

Heck even the CCP guerillas didn't do that much near Hong Kong. They did help prisoners of war escape to Guilin and Sichuan

Worked out well for them in the end. They let the KMT wear themselves out fighting conventional battles against the Japanese, while they conserved their strength.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Haier posted:

Copy/paste of an edited meme from r/China

Why is Taiwan a man?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

nickmeister posted:

Why is Taiwan a man?
It was an edit of another meme. Do you expect more realism in your memery?

---

This is me every time I go out. The Chinese are the toddler.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
China has made an official complaint about the phone call, but have been remarkably reserved in their response. I think they really don't want to make a mountain out of this. I'm wondering if they are afraid of nationalists getting too riled up, or if they are worried that Trump's foreign policy might be as unpredictable and poorly thought out as his twitter feed, and being belligerent might cause him to do something they won't like.

It's like Nixon's "madman gambit" but instead it's the "idiot gambit".

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Blistex posted:

Worked out well for them in the end. They let the KMT wear themselves out fighting conventional battles against the Japanese, while they conserved their strength.

I'm sure this played a factor, but CKS was a massive tool who hosed around with his successor's ability to actually run KMT territory or control the military. Once everything had gone to poo poo CKS graciously resumed his presidency and obviously had full control over the military and funds but he had squandered any advantage he had ever had, burned US good will, and allowed strategic locations to be captured in the interim while waiting for the party to ask him to take over again.

More or less you can blame the whole defeat on him and him alone. They might still have lost had he been less of a dick but they would have lost differently.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

The Great Autismo! posted:

it's time to get out of China lol

the writing is really on the wall now

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Blistex posted:

China has made an official complaint about the phone call, but have been remarkably reserved in their response. I think they really don't want to make a mountain out of this. I'm wondering if they are afraid of nationalists getting too riled up, or if they are worried that Trump's foreign policy might be as unpredictable and poorly thought out as his twitter feed, and being belligerent might cause him to do something they won't like.

The fact that they filed an official complaint with the Obama Administration over something this petty is serving Trump exactly the kind of ammunition he needs to fuel his China narrative on a gold plated, TRUMP embossed platter. Face at all costs!

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 5, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Welcome to the next eight years of American politics.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Haier posted:

This is me every time I go out. The Chinese are the toddler.

Do you have a meme for when you roll down the sidewalk on your skateboard and they poo poo themselves in pure terror (or was it the gutter oil surprise they had for lunch?).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Blistex posted:

The kan re nao gambit.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Snapped a photo of our 170 AQI today while out on a ride. Sure, it's not the North East, but thank gently caress it's not the North East. I was going to point the camera behind me to get the shot of buildings in the smog, but figured this lovely attractive sewer canal and bike path could show the true beauty of Shenzhen living.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

nickmeister posted:

Do you have a meme for when you roll down the sidewalk on your skateboard and they poo poo themselves in pure terror (or was it the gutter oil surprise they had for lunch?).
I rode today and one story is that I was crossing a road that was filled with pedestrians and a car hit a blind corner going some ungodly speed and had no intention of slowing down into 4-lanes of traffic or the people already existing in the space in front of it. People did the usual scurry or stop, but I kept going. The car missed me at the last second, preferring to go in front of me, so I stopped, picked up my board and walked around the back of the car and slapped the trunk loudly with an open palm. I kept walking without looking back, and I heard him get out of his car and start squawking at me, most likely checking his car and cursing the fact that other people exist on this planet.

I saw a girl very slowly riding a bike, and two people were talking and taking up the entire sidewalk in that zig-zag way that they are good at here. She was ringing her bell far in advance and tried to squeeze past them and one of the guys walked right into her bike, causing her to step off and almost fall off the curb. He started shouting at her and pointing and making a big fuss about how it was all her fault. I wasn't too far behind her, and the two idiots were still taking up the entire sidewalk, so I did my foot-brake squeeky noise and made the loud pop of the board as I kicked it to my hands. This caused shouting guy to literally jump almost a meter to the side, allowing me and the girl to leave without any more tantrums.

A million more things like this every day, but China finds a way to suck the joy out of the all the basic fun things in life. Being around such thin-skinned cry babies all the time rubs off on you after a while and they become the puppet masters of angry expats.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Blistex posted:

<Ugh! every loving Chinese period show that doesn't involve the Civil War/WWII>

My father in law was blown away by the sword fight at the end of Rob Roy, and we watched it two times in a row so he could see it again. Everything in mainstream Chinese cinema/tv is so fake and flowery that a dose of realism is really jarring when they are exposed to it. He also (by the time he left after a year) was leaning more towards the acting and editing of western shows, as the more he watched them, the more cartoonish/childish Chinese tv/movies were starting to appear to him.

He also got a kick out of Band of Brothers and was a little squeamish when watching parts of "The Pacific" (realistic blood an gore instead of horrible CGI blood). While he loves to watch war movies, he was surprised to see things like people breaking down in Saving Private Ryan/Das Boot/Der Untergang. He watched "Flags of our Fathers" and said that they would never portray Chinese heroes like that (human and flawed) because they were taught all the Chinese heroes were "perfect". He also watched "Letters from Iwo Jima" and at the end remarked that it was sort of sad for the Japanese soldiers, since they had been abandoned and had no chance.

He asked if the CGI task force that showed up in the movie was in any way realistic, and if it was just depicted as that many ships to look impressive and I showed him this picture of task force 58 and told him that there were ~450 ships involved in the landings at Iwo Jima. He had to go outside for a smoke, then came back and had my wife translate for us so we could have a more in-depth discussion about the US role in the War in the Pacific (much to my wife's chagrin). He still believes that Mao dealt a massive blow to the Japanese, but after seeing the documentary "WWII in colour", and watching all that footage of Japanese ships/planes being destroyed and the bombing of the Home Islands, he realized that the US was the real force in defeating them, despite the massive amounts of indoctrination his generation received regarding the subject.

The Chinese people may of not been a big factor in defeating the Japanese but it is unfair to say that their resistance was not heroic. To be fair to them, they should of been defeated their country was divided and their industry was not developed

Blistex posted:

While that is true I was trying to highlight to massively distorted view on WWII that they have, compared to what actually happened. Their contribution to the war doesn't resemble what they teach in Chinese schools or show on Chinese TV. The average person in China believes that China's contribution to the defeat of Japan was more in the form of giant battles with glorious decisive victories and banners waving, as opposed to tying up a shitload of IJA troops on garrison duties and partisan patrols. They're inclined to believe that officers on horseback with broomhandle mausers and waves of communists troops carrying flags caused the Japanese to surrender as opposed to their entire navy and merchant fleet being sunk, and most of their cities being reduced to ash.

Edit: This is also how they promoted a Korean War film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3CJ4R9hGMs

Was a bit confused how this was offensive until I realized they fight on the opposing side. :blush:

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Donald-kun is going all gently caress China on us

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Blistex posted:

"gently caress Everything About China" was literally a central tenant of Trump's campaign, why anyone is surprised by these events is baffling to me

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

"gently caress Everything About China" was literally a central tenant of Trump's campaign, why anyone is surprised by these events is baffling to me

Because so was "gently caress obamacare" and "JAIL HILLARY"

It's not surprise that it's out of the blue, it's surprise that having already made 2 big u-turns before even taking office, he is (for now, in word at least) following through

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

simplefish posted:

Because so was "gently caress obamacare" and "JAIL HILLARY"

Early days, my friend, early days

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

gently caress China DEY TOOK ARE JERBS is also a common enough US election rallying cry the past decade or so that it wasn't that noticeable.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

lol here it is

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

first against the wall in trump's america

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Because I thought he would get completely outplayed by Xi Jinping in any international arena. Which might still happen as it's early days yet.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Do we know if Trump has said anything about ROK's claims over the mainland? I'm not sure he would necessarily disagree with them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I would be surprised if he even knows. Like I'm not sure he even was aware Taiwan is technically unrecognized by the US and there's a conflict over its status.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Haier posted:

I saw a girl very slowly riding a bike, and two people were talking and taking up the entire sidewalk in that zig-zag way that they are good at here. She was ringing her bell far in advance and tried to squeeze past them and one of the guys walked right into her bike, causing her to step off and almost fall off the curb. He started shouting at her and pointing and making a big fuss about how it was all her fault. I wasn't too far behind her, and the two idiots were still taking up the entire sidewalk, so I did my foot-brake squeeky noise and made the loud pop of the board as I kicked it to my hands. This caused shouting guy to literally jump almost a meter to the side, allowing me and the girl to leave without any more tantrums.

Do they feel this way about Chinese riding skateboards as well? or is it just because there's a foreigner on top of one?

I just can't get over how incredibly stupid these wumaos are. How can they think it's a good idea to pretend to be an American with such obvious grammar mistakes?

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"
I also don't get it.

They seems so schizophrenic about Taiwan.

On one hand its china

on the other

Its a rouge province.

If the bend over backwards to avoid even talking about how Taiwan is a different government.

Its like trying to talk about a family's member drinking problem while also being in denial about said problem.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

nickmeister posted:

I just can't get over how incredibly stupid these wumaos are. How can they think it's a good idea to pretend to be an American with such obvious grammar mistakes?

I don't know if that's the joke or what..

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

And yet she can't help stop swooning over Trump https://twitter.com/LisLisL/status/801172112278814720

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Dicky mouse posted:

I also don't get it.

They seems so schizophrenic about Taiwan.

On one hand its china

on the other

Its a rouge province.

If the bend over backwards to avoid even talking about how Taiwan is a different government.

Its like trying to talk about a family's member drinking problem while also being in denial about said problem.

Well religion is illegal so they need some other way to train cognitive dissonance.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Blast of Confetti posted:

first against the wall in trump's america

So.... good?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

nickmeister posted:

Do they feel this way about Chinese riding skateboards as well? or is it just because there's a foreigner on top of one?
The Chinese I have ridden or been with are similar to those on bicycles: Really, really slow. It's not so surprising or scary, and they usually don't stop for any reason so they kind of putt slowly near people they want to pass. I tend to go as fast as I can and will pick it up instead of trying to skirt around things all the time like they do. They also walk a lot with them, and if they are in a group then half of them are walking and carrying it and the other half are standing next to them holding their shoulders so they get a free ride and don't have to expend energy. It's really weird sometime.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
lol idiot chinese actually liking donald trump not realzing he's gonna spend the next 4 years actively making GBS threads on china, getting into a trade war with china, and possibly getting into a shooting war with china lmao just lmao china is stupid af and loves big rich idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
"AAUUUU"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUxkbFiOaug

• Locked thread