Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My 2015 iMac running Sierra (latest, I assume) is stuck on the login screen. I enter my password, the mouse pointer spins for a second or two, the screen goes black, then it dumps me back at the login screen. Google suggested reinstalling from recovery mode but that didn't help, the same thing keeps happening. It happens in safe mode too, but with a screen flicker in addition to going black for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Weird question: does OSX keep track of the day you installed the OS or date you restored it from a time machine backup? Just curious to see how long it'd been since I installed this hard drive.

/var/log/install.log

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The idea of the Google Home and the Amazon Echo intrigue me but not enough to buy them sight unseen. Is there anything like them for macOS? I keep my computer on all day anyway.
(Don't say Siri, it lacks the "voice-activated" thing)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

gmq posted:

The idea of the Google Home and the Amazon Echo intrigue me but not enough to buy them sight unseen. Is there anything like them for macOS? I keep my computer on all day anyway.
(Don't say Siri, it lacks the "voice-activated" thing)

The appletv is apple's home automation hub if you want to do lights and stuff. If you just want to look up sportsball or something buy an iPhone 7 and just shout "Hey Siri" at it. If you have the ATV and $600 lightbulbs, you can shout "Hey Siri dim lightbulb DX-12_living_room\fxGLR.office" and you will be in the future after two or three attempts!

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

tuyop posted:

The appletv is apple's home automation hub if you want to do lights and stuff. If you just want to look up sportsball or something buy an iPhone 7 and just shout "Hey Siri" at it. If you have the ATV and $600 lightbulbs, you can shout "Hey Siri dim lightbulb DX-12_living_room\fxGLR.office" and you will be in the future after two or three attempts!

I was at my dad's house at the weekend and he just got an Echo. It's night and day difference to using Siri.

When Alexa misunderstood something it was actually surprising, rather than expected.

I hope Apple do something with Siri because they're really falling behind here.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm a fan of the Echo's always on microphone.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i have an echo and it feels functionally limited compared to how i use siri, even though i know you can download tons of skills for it

not being able to call or text from it is a big miss

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Ah, Apple being their usual logical selves, then. :D

I ran into Apple logic with my old copy of iPhoto. Right click menu when in a number of views has options to Trash and Remove From Album. So I was going through a bunch of pics in an album and right click -> Trashing them. Except it didn't actually trash them, just removed them from the Album.

Right click -> Trash in any other view (All Photos, Events, Rolls, etc.) will actually move them to the Trash.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

I ran into Apple logic with my old copy of iPhoto. Right click menu when in a number of views has options to Trash and Remove From Album. So I was going through a bunch of pics in an album and right click -> Trashing them. Except it didn't actually trash them, just removed them from the Album.

Right click -> Trash in any other view (All Photos, Events, Rolls, etc.) will actually move them to the Trash.

The best piece of Apple logic I've come across was in iMovie:

1. Go through hours of raw footage, marking segments as "favourite" or "rejected"
2. Use some menu option to the tune of "Remove rejected clips"
3. Find that all clips containing rejected segments have been deleted (including the favourite parts), rather than the clip being split up and the rejected parts thrown away
4. Restore raw footage from NAS (lucky!) and repeat step 1

I think the option's been removed now, or at least I can't find anything similar in the current UI.

Is there any better way of managing all of this, or any better software than iMovie that doesn't cost hundreds of pounds? I only use it a few times a year (and still have unedited footage from January due to putting off the pain), but it feels like organising the footage could be a lot easier. There used to be keyword functionality but that got stripped out with the new iMovie UI too.

Maybe I should just get a huge external drive for my iMovie library to live on, and stop worrying about it filling up my internal drive?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

iMovie makes zero loving sense and crashes all the loving time and is just a pile of poo poo.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I find that people learn FCP much more quickly than iMovie, even though FCP is mega overkill for most projects I help with. And it doesn't help you in this case because $$$, even though you'd love the library>events>projects organizational scheme.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Anyone have Google Home? Can I call/text from it if I have an iPhone? Does it compare favorably to Echo?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

tuyop posted:

Yeah, I find that people learn FCP much more quickly than iMovie, even though FCP is mega overkill for most projects I help with. And it doesn't help you in this case because $$$, even though you'd love the library>events>projects organizational scheme.

I once started up a little home movie project and decided I'd just do it in iMovie as I didn't need all the bells and whistles of FCPX. Got frustrated after about 5 minutes and just did it in Final Cut. I kno

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

tuyop posted:

For info, you can also use an iPad instead of the Apple TV. Obviously you'd have to keep it at home and always on if you want remote (I.e. from out of the house) control.

But it still sucks compared to an Echo/Dot. For controlling stuff, at least.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My MBP is on the Sierra beta track (currently 10.12.2 Beta) and I'd like to get back on the release track. I have everything backed up on a Time Capsule. If I restore my laptop to factory 10.12.1 will I be able to restore from that backup or will I have to wait until 10.12.2 is out? I ask because I know iOS can't restore a backup made from a newer version, but I don't know if macOS does the same.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

My MBP is on the Sierra beta track (currently 10.12.2 Beta) and I'd like to get back on the release track. I have everything backed up on a Time Capsule. If I restore my laptop to factory 10.12.1 will I be able to restore from that backup or will I have to wait until 10.12.2 is out? I ask because I know iOS can't restore a backup made from a newer version, but I don't know if macOS does the same.

macOS does the same, I believe. At this point 10.12.2 final is probably imminent in the next week or two, so I would just sit tight.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cool. I've mostly been annoyed since I turned off the beta updates but it keeps turning them on, but I locked the preferences so *hopefully* it doesn't happen again.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Looks like someone ported uBlock Origin to Safari.

https://github.com/el1t/uBlock-Safari

Anyone try it yet?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Can anyone recommend me a desktop client for Soundcloud? Ideally one that respects media keys like Spotify or iTunes does.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Looks like someone ported uBlock Origin to Safari.

https://github.com/el1t/uBlock-Safari

Anyone try it yet?

Nice!!! I just built the extension and will be using it all day at work, I'll report back

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It doesn't look like it blocks YouTube ads effectively :(

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Cool. I've mostly been annoyed since I turned off the beta updates but it keeps turning them on, but I locked the preferences so *hopefully* it doesn't happen again.

I had similar issues being stuck on the beta channel.

Try running this command:

BobHoward posted:

^^^^ Well why don't we bring the solution in here since multiple people need it. I searched a bit, looks like the command should be:

code:
sudo softwareupdate --clear-catalog

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Last Chance posted:

It doesn't look like it blocks YouTube ads effectively :(

It actually makes them worse because it lets the ad videos play but hides the button to skip them.

EDIT: They fixed it sometime last night. Works fine now.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 7, 2016

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The best YouTube adblocker is still ClickToPlugin to get HTML5 videos.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

well why not posted:

Can anyone recommend me a desktop client for Soundcloud? Ideally one that respects media keys like Spotify or iTunes does.

I remember VOX having SoundCloud support when I tried it a couple years ago.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

kefkafloyd posted:

The best YouTube adblocker is still ClickToPlugin to get HTML5 videos.

Correct

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So it looks like they changed console.app and I'm not sure how I get logs from before the computer's current power-on. I really want to see why my computer randomly rebooted.

EDIT: Found it, but it doesn't seem helpful at all.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 8, 2016

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

wdarkk posted:

So it looks like they changed console.app and I'm not sure how I get logs from before the computer's current power-on. I really want to see why my computer randomly rebooted.

Select "system.log" under the Reports section, and search for "BOOT_TIME". That'll give you the time stamp for the most recent boot, then you can look around that time.

EDIT: Oh sorry, just re-read what you posted. You can click the "/var/log" folder under the Reports, and check the "system.X.log.gz" files in the new column for older system logs.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 8, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

NeuralSpark posted:

Select "system.log" under the Reports section, and search for "BOOT_TIME". That'll give you the time stamp for the most recent boot, then you can look around that time.

I don't really see anything that stands out:

quote:

Dec 7 19:34:28 Tilia com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit
Dec 7 19:35:12 Tilia com.apple.usbmuxd[102]: _SendAttachNotification Device 70:3e:ac:60:22:86@fe80::723e:acff:fe60:2286._apple-mobdev2._tcp.local. has already appeared on interface 4. Suppressing duplicate attach notification.
Dec 7 19:35:19 Tilia iTunes[382]: Entered:_AMMuxedDeviceDisconnected, mux-device:3671
Dec 7 19:35:19 Tilia iTunes[382]: Entered:__thr_AMMuxedDeviceDisconnected, mux-device:3671
Dec 7 19:35:19 Tilia iTunes[382]: tid:2a437 - Mux ID not found in mapping dictionary
Dec 7 19:35:19 Tilia iTunes[382]: tid:2a437 - Can't handle disconnect with invalid ecid
Dec 7 19:36:51 Tilia logd[72]: _handle_cache_delete_with_urgency(0x7fee1ad179d0, 3, 0)
Dec 7 19:36:51 Tilia syslogd[54]: ASL Sender Statistics
Dec 7 19:36:51 Tilia com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit
Dec 7 19:36:52 Tilia com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.IDECacheDeleteAppExtension.31451): Path not allowed in target domain: type = pid, path = /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/SharedFrameworks/LLDB.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/RootDebuggingXPCService.xpc error = 147: The specified service did not ship in the requestor's bundle, origin = /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/PlugIns/IDECacheDeleteAppExtension.appex
Dec 7 19:36:52 Tilia logd[72]: _handle_cache_delete_with_urgency(0x7fee1af10580, 3, 0)
Dec 7 19:36:52 Tilia logd[72]: _handle_cache_delete_with_urgency(0x7fee1af004e0, 3, 0)
Dec 7 19:36:52 Tilia logd[72]: _volume_contains_cached_data(is /private/var/db/diagnostics/ in /) - YES
Dec 7 19:36:53 Tilia logd[72]: 168515328 bytes of purgeable space from log files
Dec 7 19:36:53 Tilia logd[72]: _purge_uuidtext only runs at urgency 0 (3)
Dec 7 19:36:53 Tilia logd[72]: 0 bytes of purgeable space from uuidtext files
Dec 7 19:37:03 Tilia logd[72]: _handle_cache_delete_with_urgency(0x7fee1ab54be0, 3, 0)
Dec 7 19:37:03 Tilia logd[72]: _handle_cache_delete_with_urgency(0x7fee1a947a30, 3, 0)
Dec 7 19:37:03 Tilia logd[72]: _handle_cache_delete_with_urgency(0x7fee18d1c7d0, 3, 0)
Dec 7 19:37:03 Tilia logd[72]: _handle_cache_delete_with_urgency(0x7fee18c1d750, 3, 0)
Dec 7 19:37:03 Tilia logd[72]: _handle_cache_delete_with_urgency(0x7fee1aa0de50, 3, 0)
Dec 7 19:37:03 Tilia logd[72]: _handle_cache_delete_with_urgency(0x7fee18d1d790, 3, 0)
Dec 7 19:39:35 localhost bootlog[0]: BOOT_TIME 1481157575 0

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

well why not posted:

This one is just a simple browser frame for the web site that supports media keys: https://soundcleod.com/

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Any idea why certain iCloud application folders don't show up in macOS?

For example, my Playgrounds folder (from Swift Playgrounds) exists in my iCloud drive app on my iPad, but I can't see it in macOS or on iCloud.com

My other application folders like Pages work just fine, as well as user-created folders.

edit: Manually typing what I think is the path name in the Go menu doesn't bring up the folder

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 8, 2016

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

PRADA SLUT posted:

For example, my Playgrounds folder (from Swift Playgrounds) exists in my iCloud drive app on my iPad, but I can't see it in macOS or on iCloud.com

My other application folders like Pages work just fine, as well as user-created folders.

edit: Manually typing what I think is the path name in the Go menu doesn't bring up the folder

I just don't think they've enabled it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

I had a similar problem with Final Draft for iOS except I was able to find the folder in my iCloud.com Drive (but not on macOS ) the solution for me was to add a file to the folder through iCloud.com but if you can somehow add an unrelated file through your iPad to the folder, it may show up.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I had a similar problem with Final Draft for iOS except I was able to find the folder in my iCloud.com Drive (but not on macOS ) the solution for me was to add a file to the folder through iCloud.com but if you can somehow add an unrelated file through your iPad to the folder, it may show up.

I tried this.. I put a file into it from my iPad but nothing shows up on my Mac or iCloud web.

I can see the folder on my iPad only, and can read/write it. Can't see it on the iCloud iPhone app either.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

cbirdsong posted:

This one is just a simple browser frame for the web site that supports media keys: https://soundcleod.com/

this works pretty well! thanks!

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

wdarkk posted:

EDIT: Found it, but it doesn't seem helpful at all.

A possible cause of spontaneous reboots is a system panic - look for panic reports in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Kernel*.panic, or in Console under the System Reports folder.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Are there any simple video editing programs for Mac? My 11 year old wants to edit YouTube videos and will be getting a GoPro for Christmas. At least initially it'd be nice if she could use something simpler than iMovie and then maybe advance to FCP.

I don't mind teaching her to use those programs, but I'd like her to do as much as she can herself. I guess YouTube has a web interface for simple video edits, but I have no idea how that works.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

iMovie isn't bad. FCPX has gotten very simplified in the last few years so I'd say start on iMovie and then you should be able to move on to FCPX in a few years. Lynda have amazing tutorials but there's loads of good free ones on YT

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

chimz posted:

A possible cause of spontaneous reboots is a system panic - look for panic reports in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/Kernel*.panic, or in Console under the System Reports folder.

Nothing there from yesterday unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I have a work email account that I like to check on my Mac at home, but when I'm not at work I don't want to be bothered by notifications or badge counts. Is there a way to disable those for a specific account with mail.app, or am I better off just removing my account entirely from mail.app and only checking it through the web interface?