Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

Do we know yet why Rachel betrayed him? It seems like working with the ridiculously powerful dude would increase your chances. Was it some condition that she climb by herself? I seem to remember Headon* giving her some condition for being allowed to climb.

*apply directly to forehead

I don't think it was explicitly stated, but the whole issue is that when there's a new irregular in the tower they are quickly snuffed out by Zahard's folks like RED if they aren't powerful enough before coming in (like Urek).

I believe Headon was involved in the conspiracy with Yu Han Sung and FUG to fake Baam's death so they could bring him into FUG and use him. If I remember correctly, even his guide was a FUG plant and she came at Headon's request.
So in this case, they've set Rachel up as effectively Baam's carrot to keep him focused on climbing, while conditioning her continued dream of seeing the tower on pushing him away at every opportunity. They've surrounded her with their own puppets and could stop her climb just as easily. I think it's generally assumed that climbing the tower and seeing the stars was always more important to her than Baam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I don't think Rachel found Baam by accident, I think she did something bad and was punished by being tossed in a hole to be eaten by a monster, except she managed to befriend the monster and escape. She's said that she is afraid of Baam.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ytlaya posted:

Do we know yet why Rachel betrayed him?

Because she wants to be the hero of the story, and it's impossible for anyone to overshadow Baam. She'd always be a side-character with him around.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Sarcophallus posted:

I don't think it was explicitly stated, but the whole issue is that when there's a new irregular in the tower they are quickly snuffed out by Zahard's folks like RED if they aren't powerful enough before coming in (like Urek).

i think irregulars are incredibly rare rather than getting snuffed out early. People simply don't know if someone is an irregular until likely its too late. those in the tower are the 10 families, enryu who killed a guardian, urek and an actual god who won't show up in the story

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I hate that Phantominium exists, because not only is it a detail that has no bearing on anything other than another example of Irregulars being crazy powerful people, but it will actively have nothing to do with the main plot, because it's already confirmed that he won't show up (unless the author changes his mind, I guess), and nothing has been done with that aspect of the setting (these godlike storytellers who can create and manage whole universes and why one of them showed up in the Tower) and probably won't be done because I can only think of one other Talze Uzer story and to my knowledge that one hasn't even been translated and has nothing to do with ToG.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think SIU regrets that too, it was just supposed to be a nod to his older work and he had to say yeah Phantaminum has no point in this story and won't show up

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
P.S. *insert self horn toot*

Hirethor posted:

It's a bummer that we didn't get the (possible?) true self that Bam did, and that his revolution isn't complete. I wonder from the previous chapter though if Karaka is hidden in the arena, and if that'll lead to a Yuri vs Karaka fight. If not, how will Yuri react now anyways... oh well.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
drat, this is a really cool series. Had to binge the whole thing.

The main outstanding question I have is, what's with Ha Yura? She's the only one of the major characters (other than Rachel I guess) where we don't know even a bit what her deal is. Or how she convinced that one guy to serve her slavishly. Or why she has blue hair like a Khun instead of black like Yuri and Jinsung. Unless I missed something, which is very possible with a series this long.

Also, holy gently caress if we're ever going to reach the top of the tower and have further shenanigans with the Jahad system it's going to take a decade to finish. Not that that's a bad thing, but I'm kind of worried if we're ever going to see a proper conclusion or if it's going to go full HxH/Berserk at some point.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
To be fair they move floors by narrative. If there's nothing in important in like 50 of those floors, we'll just jump a thousand years in to the future and move past them.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-227/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=308

:(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well this sure has been a rough couple of chapters for ToG.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dangit SiU quit teasing me with the mystery of Wangnan

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i hope this is where he gets whatever power up he's hiding

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Jose posted:

I don't think he's hiding any power up. I hope he'll always be relatively weak, but that he'll be the glue that holds folks together.

There was a blog post about him recently, will try to find that because the author made a point of highlighting that his weakness is part of what makes his character interesting to write.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

In another world we would be praising Rachel for climbing the tower filled with super humans with her wits and ability to make allies.

Jose posted:

Now he can throw three balls at once.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hypocrisy posted:

In another world we would be praising Rachel for climbing the tower filled with super humans with her wits and ability to make allies.

She started her climb by pushing a little boy into an abyss in a jealous attempt to kill him. Girl was never getting praised.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Sarcophallus posted:

I don't think he's hiding any power up. I hope he'll always be relatively weak, but that he'll be the glue that holds folks together.

There was a blog post about him recently, will try to find that because the author made a point of highlighting that his weakness is part of what makes his character interesting to write.

he recovered from what should have been a cause of death and other characters commented on it and he's karaka's brother/Jahad's son it seems. even if its not some hidden power up i imagine this will encourage him to be less weak.

this is rachel's first actual kill then?

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I hope Baam isn't turning into Sasuke right now.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I have to say I'm amazed at how well the author has made us hate Rachel. She is such an unrepentant piece of poo poo that every single time I see her it's like I hate her that little bit more.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
I like Rachel :shobon: She keeps things personal rather than fiending over ONE BILLION SOULS

Also I find it interesting how much is made of her being relatively unattractive, given that (understandably in the medium) she has pretty much the same face as everyone else but with freckles.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
She's ugly because of who she is rather than how she looks. The two tend to blend a lot more when dealing with real people rather than images, though SIU has certainly tried to show it in her expressions. She looks okay in some frames, but her general nature is more the "I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG! STOP BLAMING ME!" frames we didn't get this time if only because Hoaqin walked in when he did.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It's funny because I'm sure that Viole, the slayer candidate and his crew are villains while Rachel, friend of Emily and Pop Idol Yuri Ha, is an aspiration for tower denizens.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The thing about Rachel is that she's just a horrible person who betrays everyone around her for the slightest perceived advantage and doesn't take responsibility for anyone she hurts and holy poo poo the primary antagonist of ToG is Ayn Rand

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
If anything isn't the Name Station and more broadly the Ten Families the Ayn Rand? Rachel's more like the Saruman.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Redmark posted:

If anything isn't the Name Station and more broadly the Ten Families the Ayn Rand? Rachel's more like the Saruman.

Pretty big claim that she was once both good and powerful.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
The Wormtongue, then.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Coffee Mugshot posted:

It's funny because I'm sure that Viole, the slayer candidate and his crew are villains while Rachel, friend of Emily and Pop Idol Yuri Ha, is an aspiration for tower denizens.

A regular with normal talent trying to make her way through the manipulations of FUG while some sort of Tower blessed shinsoo monster obsessively pursues her.

Truly, we should all aspire to make the best of our situation like Rachel does, unlike other spoiled people who have hidden power and is best friends with all the Princesses.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I swear if this manhwa ends in like ten years with Rachel winning I don't care to think what I'll do.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sarcophallus posted:

I feel like if he was intended to just be a "normal guy who is good at keeping his friends together" character that there would have been no need for the whole Jahad connection in the first place. Also, we know that direct family connection to the the 10 Families has a direct impact on your strength (whether physically or in terms of shinsoo).

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like if he was intended to just be a "normal guy who is good at keeping his friends together" character that there would have been no need for the whole Jahad connection in the first place. Also, we know that direct family connection to the the 10 Families has a direct impact on your strength (whether physically or in terms of shinsoo).

I think being subversive in that way can be its own point. I just don't see him getting any blood or family based instant power. I could see him working to become powerful himself; but I'd personally like his character better as a weakling.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Wangnan is just the guy who binds everybody together, kind of like it seems Jahad was back in the day because everything we learned about the Ten Families paints the leaders as a bunch of selfish dicks who would have murdered each other way before the group stopped climbing.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
There's this bit from a recent blog post:

quote:

Regardless; chapter 226.
We're finally looking at Wangnan again.
It's like Wangnan's big adventure haha.
Of course, the mood will shift a bit next chapter.
Wangnan is a unique character.
He has the personality of a traditional Shōnen protagonist, but compared to his personality, he's such a weak and useless character by those standards. ^^;;
But thinking idealistically I do want to see those kinds of characters have their big breaks,
so Wangnan's one of those characters.
If you think about it, a lot of the Shōnen genre subliminally reinforce how one's ability is all that matters? Haha.
In that regard Wangnan is a character that's really important for me.
Regardless of how he's received, I want to draw a lot through him.
Being too afraid to draw the things I want to draw is something I settled a long time ago as I drew Tower of God.
Of course, if many love and enjoy it it'd be nice as always.
It's really cold so dress tightly, don't catch a cold.
Will Wangnan be able to awaken Horyang?!
Will Hoaqin unintentionally become a good guy ^^;;

"the mood will shift a bit next chapter"

Well you're not wrong SIU.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

There are too many characters to mentally keep track of all the time, so getting rid of some is a good idea. Don't know if they all needed to be killed off so fast though.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, I like wangnan and think he's fine as a weak character. He'll gradually progress and there's obviously something going on with his lineage and durability, but an explosive growth in power seems unlikely given Baam's the protagonist for that sort of thing.

Only other series I can really think of with a weak protagonist is World Trigger and it's also really good for it. Then there's stuff like Future Diary that also probably shouldn't count since the protoganist there is kind of meant to be "don't be that guy" rather than a positive, identifiable character. Early Naruto would be Wangnan's worst-case, if SIU somehow goes that route.

As for character deaths, I thought they were both well-done. Akraptor felt confident leaving his goal to Wangnan and Prince achieved his goal of change and rebirth. At the start of the story he was using others as a shield to protect him from danger whereas now he changed enough to literally die to save another. It would've been more powerful if it happened on-screen and we saw Miseng's live reaction, but I'm sure we'll get it later. Killing off characters too fast would be killing off Eiwa, who hasn't yet achieved her goal, has a goal that cannot be passed on to another and could not achieve her goal in death. Or Kun.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Only character j care about that much is rak

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Rak is a treasure, but I wish he would stop being like Worf in Star Trek. He's clearly powerful, his duel with the Arie side-branch guy transformed the whole landscape around them, but he still gets beaten or somehow underestimated every time we see him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Wangnan is just the guy who binds everybody together, kind of like it seems Jahad was back in the day because everything we learned about the Ten Families paints the leaders as a bunch of selfish dicks who would have murdered each other way before the group stopped climbing.

It will be revealed that Wangnan has some mind control ability that he has been unconsciously using on everyone around him, and that is why everyone around him ends up liking him and staying together.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
He also has the whole didn't die from a wound to the heart thing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Wangnan sucks... tons of shonen have these weak-rear end characters who are supposed to be distinguished because they "get along with people" but if that has to be vocalized it's not actually true, you could remove him from the story and pretty much nothing would change

The one actually keeping everyone together is Khun, by far the coolest character in the series and who never needs any encouragement or recognition from anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

drat but this arc is getting loving grim