Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

I still think magic in this game is handled well for its intended use. I am pretty much always flush with it thanks to draw points in every dungeon and at every campsite. I have at least half my flasks filled at all times, maybe more. I never really have to think too hard about when to use it because it's so plentiful.

Aranea is my second favorite character after Ardyn. I just finished Ch 7 and her interactions with the crew were top notch.

Aranea is pretty awesome and I wish she got more screen time because frankly I think I like her better than Gladiolus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
With regards to summons, I only had 1 summon for the entirety of the story outside of the scripted prompts but since I've finished the story I've had 4 summons within the past 3 hours, with all of them being during fights that I'm winning with no party members dead or anything.

Also I was doing some hunts at night and Aranea randomly came from a drop ship and joined my party until the monsters were dead....I didn't know that could happen but it's pretty cool.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Aranea is pretty awesome and I wish she got more screen time because frankly I think I like her better than Gladiolus.

Yeah, I think I agree with you 100%. I'd trade Gladdy for Aranea any day of the week. Prompto really is the best bro of the three as far as I'm concerned.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I was genuinely surprised by how they handled Ignis immediately after the big Leviathan fight.

I completely expected him to get anime super powers and heightened senses after going blind. Nope! He's just a blind dude hobbling along with a cane.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Levantine posted:

Yeah, I think I agree with you 100%. I'd trade Gladdy for Aranea any day of the week. Prompto really is the best bro of the three as far as I'm concerned.

I waffle between Prompto and Ignis for my favorite on an hourly basis.

Also, jesus christ, putting old noctis into other clothing sets makes him look like he has a giant mutant head. Or if you put young noctis in the regal wear, he looks like he has a tiny babyhead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I waffle between Prompto and Ignis for my favorite on an hourly basis.

Also, jesus christ, putting old noctis into other clothing sets makes him look like he has a giant mutant head. Or if you put young noctis in the regal wear, he looks like he has a tiny babyhead.

Jacketless Casual Clothes are best for old Noctis, it makes him look like a hobo.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Amazing that Prompto and his camera ultimately proved to be the lynchpin that made XV work.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So where do Cactuars spawn? I'm like 50 hours in and have seen zero.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Levantine posted:

So where do Cactuars spawn? I'm like 50 hours in and have seen zero.

I got ambushed by one between Longwyth (SP?) and the hill north of it while looking for a dogtag and fighting level 2 beasties within an hour or two of starting (daytime). I did not last long.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Amazing that Prompto and his camera ultimately proved to be the lynchpin that made XV work.

Also with some creative selection of pictures to save, you can make it into a real David Lynch-pin of the game.

Credits rolling, Stand By Me playing, nothing but pictures of elbows and foliage in the background, ending with cup noodles.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Reading some old interviews and seeing the old trailers regarding Square trying to make a "realistic" and "dark" Final Fantasy is everything I don't want from this series. It sounds like for a while certain people didn't even want goofy creatures or fanciful monsters in the game because it would take too much away from their vision. I'm glad FFXIII Versus got canned because I wouldn't have had any interest in playing it.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I still haven't got my head around combat in this game. Let alone magic. But I'm having fun randomly hitting buttons and killing things and hanging with my chums while I try and find dogtags for Dave even though he's obviously capable of teleportation and really shouldn't need my help.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Ardryn posted:

They both seemed about equal in terms of difficulty honestly, and the arena in Altissia has the best reel for 85k, easily doable if you just be stingy with your early bets or wait till they start showing cactuar and courels.
Spoiler for one of the rewards.
That said, Gladio's will give you an infinite lure that returns even if you gently caress up the QTE.

Cool thanks! I'm thinking I may not bother with the later quests since I'm more concerned about farming AP and finding recipes in the Vesperpool, looks like those are the best fishing holes in the game. So far it doesn't look like the best rods are essential.

Catching a Noble Arapaima in the hole by Bert's gets 12 AP :pusheen: I already have a status immunity recipe based on mushrooms, though I got a tip that the Grilled Mighty Barramundi recipe gives immunity to most statuses and fire/ice/lightning.

air- fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 5, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Reading some old interviews and seeing the old trailers regarding Square trying to make a "realistic" and "dark" Final Fantasy is everything I don't want from this series. It sounds like for a while certain people didn't even want goofy creatures or fanciful monsters in the game because it would take too much away from their vision. I'm glad FFXIII Versus got canned because I wouldn't have had any interest in playing it.

A bunch of the monsters in FFXV are ones we saw in some form or another in Versus XIII. That said it did look like a way more serious game. ... THAT said, the trailer we got when Versus became XV is almost unrecognizable as the same game so who knows?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Gravy Jones posted:

I still haven't got my head around combat in this game. Let alone magic. But I'm having fun randomly hitting buttons and killing things and hanging with my chums while I try and find dogtags for Dave even though he's obviously capable of teleportation and really shouldn't need my help.

Turn on wait mode and always hold down the block button when not actively attacking. Focus on nailing parries (done by just having block held down) and circling behind enemies for blindside attacks. For techniques get Ignis's element buff and regroup. For magic get the skill that raises starting power levels and start mixing in treasures (like monster whiskers and stuff) to add magic effects. Magic is basically a nuke in this game and don't really worry about hitting your bros, they'll deal with it. Ignis can tell you through his buff and other abilities to tell you what enemies are weak to.

ImpAtom posted:

A bunch of the monsters in FFXV are ones we saw in some form or another in Versus XIII. That said it did look like a way more serious game. ... THAT said, the trailer we got when Versus became XV is almost unrecognizable as the same game so who knows?

Turns out development was a mess! It sounds like there might have been a ton of internal disagreements.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
My only regret is that I cannot murder or stealth past the "WELCOME TO GALDIN QUAY" guy. I hate that guy.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Yodzilla posted:

Turn on wait mode and always hold down the block button when not actively attacking. Focus on nailing parries (done by just having block held down) and circling behind enemies for blindside attacks. For techniques get Ignis's element buff and regroup. For magic get the skill that raises starting power levels and start mixing in treasures (like monster whiskers and stuff) to add magic effects. Magic is basically a nuke in this game and don't really worry about hitting your bros, they'll deal with it. Ignis can tell you through his buff and other abilities to tell you what enemies are weak to.

I messed around with wait mode in the tutorial and found it really annoying and was hoping I wouldn't have to use it. I shall investigate magic further as a nuke would be handy given how long some fights are taking. Thanks.

VVV Just got there so I shall investigate. Probably haven't done as much upgrading as I should yet. All that said, the lengthy fights (which were hunts close to the Chocobo Ranch) were actually a lot of fun and I could see this combat system growing on me a lot if I get my head around it and a lot of fights are that epic.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 5, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If battles are taking a long time, try taking a look at replacing your weapons. I went a long time without any weapon upgrades because I only ducked into towns between sidequests, and finally sitting my rear end down and taking a look for a weapon shop made a huge difference.

In case you do happen to be in specifically the same situation as I was, the weapon shop at the Chocobo Farms were a sizeable upgrade for me early in Chapter 3.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Regroup is a hella good technique, both for the huge boost to health regen and the ability to yank everyone out of the fray and get them pointed in the same direction.

But holy hell some of these hunts are horseshit when you need to go slay a bunch of wolf things out in what's best described as a forest of shrubs. Nighttime hunts involving the mobs getting back up from an iron giant? NBD just hit them with the hardest lightning bolt you can throw. Slay a bunch of rhinoceros or giant cape buffalo things? Easy, just hack away at their butts. Get thrown into a fight against 8 wolf things where you can't see anything beyond leaves and UI? gently caress it just warp out and nuke that poo poo with whatever spell you can put together. Combat is great when it's good but good god if they just made the camera able to clip through walls and make obstacles transparent it would do a lot to raise the floor on how bad it can get. Between that and the way it moves with focusing on large enemies when Noct is up close, it can get really bad for no reason other than jank.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So, does anyone know what the requirements are for getting the Justice Monsters Five regalia skin? Internet is worthless and the guide doesn't say what the exact requirements are.

Anyone?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Got this last Tuesday, started it Saturday, only a couple of hours game but really enjoying it thus far. Kind of a button-mashing mess when it comes to combat right now, though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I don't use Regroup very often anymore. I find Gravisphere into a Tempest is far more useful to control enemies and I have so many items and Recovery abilities built into the dudes it seems kind of redundant. I really enjoy combat in this game. Something incredibly satisfying about ripping into a drop ship full of troops with a two-hander and laying them all low before they can move.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Levantine posted:

Something incredibly satisfying about ripping into a drop ship full of troops with a two-hander and laying them all low before they can move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ7UZxmUooU&t=14s

:fap:

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I'm somewhere in chapter six and I've played every FF since 1990 but I'm scratching my head at a few things. Every battle seems to take a LONG time for me, even the normal basic encounters in caves and stuff.

1. My guys never seem to use their secondary skills during battles - is there a way to change their tactics or reprioritize them? I seriously have never seen the circular saw get used, ever, and I've never seen Gladio cast a spell even though he has one equipped at all times.

2. How can you get more uses out of a spell than the basic three before it vanishes? The system reminds me of FF8 but you're not stocking individual spells, I guess you're just stocking the "power" of the spell?

3. How are you supposed to know which type of weapon to use on an enemy besides experimentation?

4. Is there anywhere you find/buy new armor? Is it important to do so?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Kingsglaive cut-in scenes are really weird at points.

I feel i'm missing something about combat so far but it's fun to figure out some of the stuff like delayed pause for heavy swords game me a huge sweeping attack which works great against enemies.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Golden Goat posted:

The Kingsglaive cut-in scenes are really weird at points.

I feel i'm missing something about combat so far but it's fun to figure out some of the stuff like delayed pause for heavy swords game me a huge sweeping attack which works great against enemies.

that attack is so loving fast and covers so much ground. It's turned me into a greatsword user almost to the exclusion of everything else. I equip the Armiger weapons for stat boosts and never switch out my Greatsword.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Transistor Rhythm posted:

3. How are you supposed to know which type of weapon to use on an enemy besides experimentation?

You can do something in wait mode (which I haven't used) or Ignis (I think) has an ability you can unlock that does it (randomly?). When you lock-on to an enemy who has been scanned you get a little summary up the top left showing strengths and weaknesses by weapon type. I *think* enemies you can do that with are the ones who have a little notepad type icon next to their name when you're targetting them, at least I assume that is what it indicates.

Most battles are going to fast for me to really pay much attention to it so I just experiment, but I guess this is another reason I need to investigate the wait mode.

Then again I may be completely wrong as I'm kind of winging it at this point. I usually just experiment and look for orange numbers in the spam.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hold r1 in wait mode to scan an enemy. I ended up turning it on for that and because its easier to point my dudes abilities at the enemies I want to hit while the game is paused

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'd be right to assume that the acension skills on the stay tree keep applying their bonuses every time you level up right? It's not a one time bonus based on the level you're at when you take the skill?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Megasabin posted:

I'd be right to assume that the acension skills on the stay tree keep applying their bonuses every time you level up right? It's not a one time bonus based on the level you're at when you take the skill?

Yeah, I think it's a continuous passive modifier based on your current level.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Am I imagining it or does the just dodge let you animation cancel? I swear I've parried mid swing as long as I tap the button instead of hold

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, I think it's a continuous passive modifier based on your current level.

It absolutely is and while the hp boosts aren't phenomenal the other stat boosts are quite pleasant to have and make the boys feel a little tougher.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Nina posted:

Am I imagining it or does the just dodge let you animation cancel? I swear I've parried mid swing as long as I tap the button instead of hold

I haven't been able to get anything like this to work. Post again if you do figure it out. Animation cancels would.l be huge.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nina posted:

Yeah, I think that's right. I have noticed that in tight quarters but maybe only with faster weapons? I have all the Ascension abilities for timed dodges and stuff though, so maybe that plays into it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Norns posted:

I haven't been able to get anything like this to work. Post again if you do figure it out. Animation cancels would.l be huge.

Tried it out with the greatsword to be sure and yeah. You can definitely at least cancel into a parry if you time the press

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I'm somewhere in chapter six and I've played every FF since 1990 but I'm scratching my head at a few things. Every battle seems to take a LONG time for me, even the normal basic encounters in caves and stuff.

1. My guys never seem to use their secondary skills during battles - is there a way to change their tactics or reprioritize them? I seriously have never seen the circular saw get used, ever, and I've never seen Gladio cast a spell even though he has one equipped at all times.

2. How can you get more uses out of a spell than the basic three before it vanishes? The system reminds me of FF8 but you're not stocking individual spells, I guess you're just stocking the "power" of the spell?

4. Is there anywhere you find/buy new armor? Is it important to do so?

1. They do use their secondary weapons. This is easiest to see when you give Prompto the bioblaster and he starts puking green mist everywhere. The AI is pretty good about spell usage in that they won't waste spells on low level mobs.

2. There is a 333 AP skill that gives you 1 extra spell when you craft them.

3. Turn on wait mode, lock onto and enemy, stop moving so wait mode activates and let Libra analyze the enemy.

4. Yes weapon upgrades are moderately important. Get them from weapon merchants all around the map(the icon on the map is a sword).

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Putting more ingredients into spells tends to give you more casts. The items I mean, not fire/ice/lightning.

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

I've only played FF VII and loved it. I don't mean to say I want as good a game or anything but is this worth buying? looks pretty nice.. I have a PRO if that counts in that department. Is this open world? chances to just goof around outside of the main story? I'm not in to TOO much micro managing.. how well has this been received? And sorry for not googling all of this, I trust this thread more since there seems to be people here who've played through already.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Horrorosaurus posted:

I've only played FF VII and loved it. I don't mean to say I want as good a game or anything but is this worth buying? looks pretty nice.. I have a PRO if that counts in that department. Is this open world? chances to just goof around outside of the main story? I'm not in to TOO much micro managing.. how well has this been received? And sorry for not googling all of this, I trust this thread more since there seems to be people here who've played through already.

It really depends.

If you're looking for a strong story, no.
If you're looking to goof around in an open world, yes.
There's very little micro-managing, it's mostly action gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beat the main story last night. Shed a single manly tear during the credits.

Now I'm back in the world and having a blast with the Regalia-F. If you crash it's game over, so practice landing when you get it!

If you need good weapons, get the items to level up the Engine Blade. It's final form is Ultima Blade, which has the best damage of all swords. Other than that, use Durandal if you fight demons for the huge damage boost.

The only gripe I have at the moment is that items you need that drop only from hunt monsters aren't 100% (Catoblepas Meat, Sturdy Helixhorn, etc). So start the hunt, then save right before the fight. Kill the thing, if it doesn't drop your item, reload the save. I hate save scumming but it saves time. Also, for the Sturdy Helixhorn at least, it has a higher chance of dropping if you break the things head, so target that.

Also, if you want to know what element a monster is weak to easily, have Ignis use Libra Elementia - he'll attack the monster with a spell of the type it's weak to. Unfortunately, you don;t get the skill until you fight the Marlboro in the mines.

• Locked thread