Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

http://pastebin.com/61Sv8n5P

I did it. I face tanked orbs of fire and ancient liches and then ran like gently caress to get out.

Gargs are stupid. Not having to worry about poison is amazing.

These boots were awesome. Took them off when i got the Orb

V - the +2 pair of boots "Sile" {-Tele rN+ MR+++ Str+4}
(You acquired it on level 3 of the Elven Halls)

Also Rods are very good. Rod of clouds was a major factor in the win.

U - a +4 rod of shadows (10/10)
(You found it on level 3 of the Elven Halls)
X - a +1 rod of clouds (13/13)
(You bought it in a shop in a bazaar)
Y - a +3 lightning rod (14/14)
(You took it off a deep elf annihilator on level 3 of the Elven Halls)

Who ever said go to Elf was right.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

World Famous W posted:

What's to prepare other then have scroll ot immolation, torment, and blink ready to go as you haste down the stairs?

Yes I die in vaults a lot, what of it?

scroll of immolation + disaster area = :dukedog:

thanks for the sweet idea!

edit:
code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.20-a0-266-gdedccd6 (webtiles) character file.

2308718 Ark the Gargoyle Cataclysm (level 27, 144/154 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Monk on Dec 4, 2016.
             Was a High Priest of Qazlal.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 4 runes on Dec 5, 2016!

The game lasted 05:35:01 (78747 turns).

Ark the Gargoyle Cataclysm (Gargoyle Monk)         Turns: 78747, Time: 05:35:02

Health: 144/154    AC: 71    Str: 28    XL:     27
Magic:  49/49      EV: 15    Int: 19    God:    Qazlal [*****.]
Gold:   8215       SH: 45    Dex: 18    Spells: 21/26 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis +    a - +5 eveningstar (freeze)
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    J - +9 plate armour "Siabrufa" {Str+10}
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    n - +8 large shield
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    W - +2 helmet {Int+3}
rElec  +          Reflect  +    K - +4 dragonskin cloak
rCorr  .          Harm     .    u - +4 pair of gloves of the Echidna {Dex+4}
MR     ++...                    w - +2 pair of boots
Stlth  ..........               A - amulet "Tack" {Reflect +Fly Slay+2 SH+3}
                                t - ring of Vogy {rPois rN+ MP+9 Dex-4 Slay+5}
                                q - ring "Anapp" {rF+ rN+ Int+3 Stlth+}

@: flying, very slightly contaminated, repel missiles
A: big wings, claws 1, talons 1, molten scales 1, see invisible, dopey 1, frail
1, negative energy resistance 1, regeneration 2, electricity resistance,
unbreathing, evolution 2, petrification resistance, rot immunity, AC +20
0: Orb of Zot
}: 4/15 runes: barnacled, slimy, silver, gossamer
a: Stop Flying, Upheaval, Elemental Force, Disaster Area, Renounce Religion
first qazlal win for me, turns out invoking huge explosions on people all the time is actually a really great way to win!

Luceid fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 5, 2016

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The only problem with that is you will absolutely have to fight the entirety of V5 on the stairs, which is really seriously dangerous if a couple ancient lichs show up at the same time.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Carcer posted:

The only problem with that is you will absolutely have to fight the entirety of V5 on the stairs, which is really seriously dangerous if a couple ancient lichs show up at the same time.

i was ready for that the moment i picked qazlal, but decided to stunt on V5 like that after getting an insane surplus (12~15) of blink scrolls so i could just jet away to the outer corridors if too many liches showed up. that said, i also had enough MR, SH, and Reflection to smear the ones that did show up.

not something to do on every game but pretty loving funny to pull off this time

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Just had a super fun game! MiIE of Gozag.

I had Boots of the Assassin and Fencer's Gloves. Between ripostes, headbutts, and Gozag distraction enabled stabs, I was getting a ton of extra damage in. I highly recommend it.

here's the dump:
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/hyperodiv/morgue-hyperodiv-20161205-074211.txt

Wasn't entirely sure what to do with my skills, but I started bringing up Long Blades just because of the Fencer's Gloves.

edit: Oh, I guess I should have tried bribing at some point...

odiv fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 5, 2016

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Luceid posted:

i was ready for that the moment i picked qazlal, but decided to stunt on V5 like that after getting an insane surplus (12~15) of blink scrolls so i could just jet away to the outer corridors if too many liches showed up. that said, i also had enough MR, SH, and Reflection to smear the ones that did show up.

not something to do on every game but pretty loving funny to pull off this time

The best way I ever cleared V:5 was go down, Apocalypse, go back up to recover breath, and repeat.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hmmmm

Autumn katana and shield of protection?

or

Triple sword?

e: or Sword of Jihad

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 5, 2016

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
As a GrBe, what do I do about Jorgrun who is camping on the other side of the Depts stairs? He can shatter me for 100+ damage so I'd rather not fight him but I have to go down those stairs eventually. I guess I just need to blind teleport away but that's risky as hell.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
can he actually shatter you for that much damage? flight reduces shatter damage to 1/3

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Oh wow, that's certainly a useful thing to know.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Obfuscation posted:

As a GrBe, what do I do about Jorgrun who is camping on the other side of the Depts stairs? He can shatter me for 100+ damage so I'd rather not fight him but I have to go down those stairs eventually. I guess I just need to blind teleport away but that's risky as hell.
Turn on flight and then berserk for the speed and extra HP if you are still worried.
E:fb

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I usually save my consumables specifically for uniques like that. He won't get many chances to shatter you if you do silence, haste, might, invisible, agility, and berserk.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
fire giants with manticore support on d9 hell yeah

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Obfuscation posted:

Oh wow, that's certainly a useful thing to know.

It doesn't reduce the Lee's Rapid Deconstruction damage since he can target you with it, though. (And, IIRC, damage from LRD doesn't check AC three times if you are the thing exploding, only if you get caught in shrapnel.)

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

At a point where hydras start showing up in the lair, vault guards show up in the dungeon, and the beach is just really hard. I run out of ways to get out of sticky situations and they just get hard to avoid.

Maybe I should watch that tutorial LP in the OP. I don't remember Nethack being this tough.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
you really don't want to go to the shoals before you've at least cleared lair.

https://crawl.develz.org/learndb/#hyperelliptic

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

you really don't want to go to the shoals before you've at least cleared lair.

https://crawl.develz.org/learndb/#hyperelliptic

So the hydras then. Thanks.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
What level are the vault guards showing up? They're not really tough post D13 but if they're showing up before about D12 that seems odd.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Carcer posted:

What level are the vault guards showing up? They're not really tough post D13 but if they're showing up before about D12 that seems odd.

I don't remember, I got completely destroyed by a hydra. Got in the top 1000 high scores on the server though!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Heran Bago posted:

So the hydras then. Thanks.

The hydras should go down to a few wand blasts if you have evocation skill at 7ish. They are one of the bigger threats from early lair, but if you have some kind of ranged attack it shouldn't be too bad.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I haven't played since 0.15 was in development, but I played a TrFi and two DDHu. Lost them just before Lair due to being way overconfident in dangerous encounters.

Developing your risk judgement is so key to playing well. I have a 15 rune win and now I'm dying before Lair due to carelessness.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Heran Bago posted:

At a point where hydras start showing up in the lair, vault guards show up in the dungeon, and the beach is just really hard. I run out of ways to get out of sticky situations and they just get hard to avoid.

Maybe I should watch that tutorial LP in the OP. I don't remember Nethack being this tough.

My .19 Youtube LP is in that area of the game right now, and I try to explain what I'm doing as I go along, so it might be helpful for how to navigate the start of midgame?

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

code:
13628542 WorthleastSA the Conqueror (level 27, 221/245 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Fighter on Oct 31, 2016.
             Was the Champion of the Shining One.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Dec 5, 2016!

The game lasted 11:26:10 (118054 turns).

WorthleastSA the Conqueror (Minotaur Fighter)     Turns: 118054, Time: 11:26:10

Health: 221/245    AC: 55    Str: 51    XL:     27
Magic:  42/42      EV: 37    Int: 11    God:    the Shining One [******]
Gold:   10724      SH: 41    Dex: 35    Spells: 8 memorised, 35 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    i - +5 double sword of the Lurker {slice, +Fly Int+4 Dex+8}
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    a - +12 gold dragon scales
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    t - +7 large shield of the Lizard {*Drain Dex+4 SInv}
rPois  +          Spirit   .    h - +2 hat of the Clam {*Corrode Dex+7}
rElec  .          Reflect  .    Y - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr  .          Harm     .    I - +2 pair of gloves "Ethresejy" {rF+ Str+4 Int+6}
MR     +++++      Clarity  +    D - +2 pair of boots {run}
Stlth  ..........               y - amulet of the Four Winds {rN+ MR+++ Clar}
                                L - ring "Sysodar" {+Fly rPois MR- Str+9}
                                O - ring "Unebaa" {Str+7 Dex+3 Stlth-}
Finally tried online instead of off, and got my first 15 rune win. I just kept tripping over the best randarts.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I feel like this is supposed to be an easy combo but I just can't get a NaIE (hopefully Chei but I never get that far) off the ground. I can't get more than like 4 floors down before a unique or a gnoll pack or an orc priest just destroys me. And that's not mentioning all the unarmed goblins who seem to survive every freeze cast to beat me to death on D1. How do I skill/spell this up so I can at least survive to cast Oz's Armor? Do I just grab the heaviest armor I can find to survive in the beginning?

Something is just not clicking for me. Am I supposed to focus on polearms and melee (once I find a polearm that is) or focus on my spellcasting to be a blastercaster?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You'll have an easier time starting as a venom mage and then branching into ice magic, but if you want to start as IE... I don't know. I'm not good with that class.

With a naga I would probably just go with whatever shows up on the first few floors. If you find some good magic stuff, then go caster. If you find some good gear, then go more hybrid. Abuse poison spit. Don't be afraid to invest in stealth either, because the naga aptitude is insane. You can just walk right by those gnoll packs.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

For NaIE (or most IE) I'd start with focus Ice, train Spellcasting, until Freeze is at full power. Pick up all the spells, train their non-ice schools a bit - probably Ice Beast before Icicle.

Use poison spit as mentioned, and on D:1 especially spit at things and then step away until it's back. Yes you will get hit some, but less than if you stand there and punch them or whatever.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You'll have an easier time starting as a venom mage and then branching into ice magic, but if you want to start as IE... I don't know. I'm not good with that class.

I don't really like NaVM because you have limited options against early ice beasts or foes in rP armour, as running is hard (this also makes poison worse in general for Na). NaIE has some trouble with beasts too but Ozos or Ice Beast can help a lot. Though NaVM is probably a lot better now with the constant improvements to OTR.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I keep splatting GaFis against early ogres :(

should I just be dodging them for a couple dlvls or what?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

rchandra posted:

For NaIE (or most IE) I'd start with focus Ice, train Spellcasting, until Freeze is at full power. Pick up all the spells, train their non-ice schools a bit - probably Ice Beast before Icicle.

Use poison spit as mentioned, and on D:1 especially spit at things and then step away until it's back. Yes you will get hit some, but less than if you stand there and punch them or whatever.

I don't really like NaVM because you have limited options against early ice beasts or foes in rP armour, as running is hard (this also makes poison worse in general for Na). NaIE has some trouble with beasts too but Ozos or Ice Beast can help a lot. Though NaVM is probably a lot better now with the constant improvements to OTR.

Yeah finding a way to deal with rpois enemies is a top priority. If you can't find any good tools like wands, you can at least stealth around them. Anything that doesn't resist poison is hosed though.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
All good tips, thanks! I found a halberd of freezing and am takin' it easy with Chei, so I've started training summoning to hopefully get ice beasts castable. Haven't found much else yet. Should I train up shields since I'm a CheiNaga?

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/Fhqwhgads/Fhqwhgads.txt

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You probably shouldn't worry about a shield while you're still trying to get your spells online. Keep an eye out for a buckler though. They're such a small investment.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

ChickenWing posted:

I keep splatting GaFis against early ogres :(

should I just be dodging them for a couple dlvls or what?

The maximum amount of potential damage an ogre can put out is 30 damage a swing. If you cannot take a hit like that and kill one quickly, back off. Later on you have AC to reduce those damage numbers, EV to dodge the swings, HP to tank and weapon skill to deal with them. However if you have a good ranged option (magic, blowgun, maybe a ranged weapon if you started with some skill) you could take one earlier.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How do you deal with paralyzers when you don't have any MR? I just ran into Rupert on my FoAK and had to immediately shaft myself because I just can't fight something that has a 50% chance of paralyzing me. I'd just abyss him, but he has pretty high MR and so the chance is only at 20%. Inevitably I would fail, he would paralyze me, and then I would die.

I'll just not go to that floor anymore.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sounds like you have it figured out, yeah.

Edit: duh, right, or what they said down there.

Rupert's still pretty scary though.

odiv fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 6, 2016

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How do you deal with paralyzers when you don't have any MR? I just ran into Rupert on my FoAK and had to immediately shaft myself because I just can't fight something that has a 50% chance of paralyzing me. I'd just abyss him, but he has pretty high MR and so the chance is only at 20%. Inevitably I would fail, he would paralyze me, and then I would die.

Well, since you're a Formicid, you mostly deal with paralyzers by laughing and ignoring them because you're completely immune to the status.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh my god

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

leaving and coming back when you're swole as hell is a very good play

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Just rationalize it that Rupert could have destroyed you even without Paralyse. Still a good play unless you really want his weapon.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah Rupert is a bad dude. I came back after being reminded that I am in fact a formicid, and he still nearly killed me. Had to blink around for a bit until his berserk wore off and I could actually tank him.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah Rupert is a bad dude. I came back after being reminded that I am in fact a formicid, and he still nearly killed me. Had to blink around for a bit until his berserk wore off and I could actually tank him.

Well, all's well that ends well. I haven't played in like almost a year and thought at first they had changed stasis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
I did my first 15 rune win today with the gargoyle that I posted about earlier. I think I last won a game in 0.8 and I haven't played at all since 0.11, so it was interesting to see all the changes since then.

I started as a GrMo. I went with Trog since that was the first altar I saw, and I got nothing but garbage from his gifts before swapping to TSO. I found a +12 dire flail in Lair and then crystal plate armour in Spider, and after that just held tab while everything died. I've never done most of the extended end game before, but I had no problems with any of it. Turns out that not a lot of things can hurt you when you have 70 AC. Gargoyle resistances are just absolutely ridiculous too. The most tactical thing that I had to do was kill Cerebovs buddies first, then escape to heal before killing him. I ended the game with tons of consumables left too.

My favourite change is probably the lack of item destruction, I did not miss stashing at all. Food seems to be a complete non-issue nowadays which is bit weird. All the new gods, except for the stealth god, look a bit boring but I guess I have to actually try them at some point. Shame that I missed the evocations god, that was always one of my favourite skills.

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.19.1 (tiles) character file.

17547159 Gothic the Invulnerable (level 27, 199/199 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Monk on Dec 5, 2016.
             Was the Champion of the Shining One.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Dec 6, 2016!

The game lasted 11:07:31 (88379 turns).

Gothic the Invulnerable (Gargoyle Monk)            Turns: 88379, Time: 11:07:32

Health: 199/199    AC: 73    Str: 28    XL:     27
Magic:  40/40      EV: 22    Int: 12    God:    the Shining One [******]
Gold:   13800      SH: 29    Dex: 18    Spells: 0 memorised, 26 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis .    b - +9 sacred scourge (holy)
rCold  + + +      Gourm    .    Z - +11 crystal plate armour
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    Q - +1 large shield {reflect}
rPois  8          Spirit   .    M - -2 hat of the Alchemist {rElec rPois rF+ rC+ rN+ MR+ rMut rCorr}
rElec  +          Reflect  +    o - +4 dragonskin cloak
rCorr  +          Harm     .    Y - +2 pair of gloves "Imaroud" {*Drain rElec rF+++ Regen+ Dex+2}
rMut   +                        d - +0 pair of boots of Nikhloe {rN+}
MR     +++..                    H - amulet of the Scarab {Regen+ Str+2}
Stlth  ..........               K - ring "Nole" {+Fly rF+ rC+ Dex+3}
                                i - ring of protection from cold

• Locked thread