Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
And that's exactly what I meant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Verviticus posted:

tbh I read tumblrifucation as "fanservice to the point of literal nausea" in his posts context

Yeah, pretty much. And he's not wrong about it being lovely.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Verviticus posted:

tbh I read tumblrifucation as "fanservice to the point of literal nausea" in his posts context

It made me think of things like Sherlock where, in the third season, they doubled down hard on fan-service at the expense of things like characterization. I'd say it is when things get too self-referential without earning it. Citadel has a ton of moments that fall entirely flat and some that are cringe-inducing. But many are fun.

Citadel does it better than Trespasser. For some of the characters in Citadel, we've known them for three big games, and I think it's fine to go a bit crazy to give them a memorable send-off.

I think it's a fair comment to point out that Bioware cares more about the fans who post memes and hyperbole-laden, saccharine gifs to tumblr than other people. I mean, who really expected or wanted to marry Cullen in Trespasser? Tail wagging the dog.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Suggesting that Citadel is "basically everything wrong with Mass Effect in one final DLC" seems really loving weird to me given the biggest problems with ME3 was that it took itself too seriously trying to do "arty" poo poo like the starchild / dream sequences, and Citadel is completely the opposite end of the spectrum to that.

Citadel was fine, the problem was they wasted one DLC on some writer's favourite character and another trying again to polish the turd that is the Reaper backstory.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
The best example is that stupid elf Tallis from the one DA2 DLC. I guess if you watched Buffy or some lovely web series Felicia Day being a qunari elf was exciting and certain aspects of her character made sense.

But if you're a retarded idiot like me who figured the Dragon Age 2 DLC might be better than the main game and just really like the Dragon Age universe and want to play some Dragon Age stuff her character was stupid as hell and lacked a lot of characterization and context that they assumed I'd have. Not to mention the fan service stuff they had her do to reward the folks who had was loving jarring to a normal idiot like me, and immersion breaking because of the out of place feeling it sent out.

Now imagine instead of watching a mainstream TV show or an esoteric but apparently still somewhat significant web series about gaming to get the full context I had to surf the BSN or ME tumblrs for Garrus fanfics and Tali sweat memes. That's Citadel. It can be very rewarding if you have the full context.

But when the content fails to provide such context because the writers assume you've read all the novels and are up on all the forum memes, or even just loses focus, that's generally a sign the devs and writers are huffing their own farts.

Side note: I actually learned that the phrase "shipping" was a thing when I was trying to figure out how to track down a coded entry in the hissing wastes to get a schematic and accidentally went down a hosed up Tumblr hole where Iron Bull fucks Cullen's rear end with a red lyrium dildo or some poo poo, written by a self diagnosed autist of course.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
The problem wasn't that mass effect 3 tried to be artsy or sophisticated or take a serious tone, it was that it failed miserably at it.

Unless you're Duchamp you don't get to call a urinal art, and you certainly don't get to take a big poo poo in it and complain that your audience doesn't understand you when they tell you it stinks.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I have a question, do quarians sweat

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If they hadn't hosed the actual ending then people wouldn't be relying on a fun, silly DLC to actually provide some real closure for the characters.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

The problem wasn't that mass effect 3 tried to be artsy or sophisticated or take a serious tone, it was that it failed miserably at it.
I think that kind of stuff is a poor fit for the tone they'd spent 2+ games building though. If the games were less connected (eg Dragon Age) then it'd be fine, but they should have stuck to what was working.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Get ready for thiisssss

Hold onto your butttttsss

i preordered andromeda

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Get ready for thiisssss

Hold onto your butttttsss

i preordered andromeda

SOmetimes I wish Kubo were real so he could take your memories and turn you into a useless old man who at the very least is smart enough to NOT preorder videogames. :mad:

:argh:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ok I haven't really paid attention to this game because mass effect 3's singleplayer destroyed all the care I had left for the story/characters/writing, which means mass effect to me is now a game where I run around as a beepy robot and shoot spacebros with fun spaceguns. Have they shown any multiplayer gameplay yet because that's all I really care about. I need a co-op shooter ready to go for whenever vermintide dries up and mass effect 3 multiplayer was really fun in spite of itself, so I am hoping this game will be the next vermintide for me.

I was goddamn pumped for mass effect when I finished mass effect 2. Back then I never thought I'd end up viewing mass effect as just a co-op shooter, but here we are because they screwed up that badly.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

no bones about it posted:

I have a question, do quarians sweat

only when sexually aroused

you can read more on my blog under the subject: "do aliens cum?"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Digirat posted:

Ok I haven't really paid attention to this game because mass effect 3's singleplayer destroyed all the care I had left for the story/characters/writing, which means mass effect to me is now a game where I run around as a beepy robot and shoot spacebros with fun spaceguns. Have they shown any multiplayer gameplay yet because that's all I really care about. I need a co-op shooter ready to go for whenever vermintide dries up and mass effect 3 multiplayer was really fun in spite of itself, so I am hoping this game will be the next vermintide for me.

I was goddamn pumped for mass effect when I finished mass effect 2. Back then I never thought I'd end up viewing mass effect as just a co-op shooter, but here we are because they screwed up that badly.

The multiplayer gameplay is pretty much the single player gameplay, no? And from teh looks of it it'll be pretty fuckin' good. I liked what I saw in the ten minute trailer thing.

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
One thing I liked in Dragon age and I think in the second kotor was the influence/other party members hating the stuff you did. Like, I think it would be interesting if there was some factionalism within your group. Part of the issue with I had with the fan service-y aspects of the party members in ME3 was everybody just loves you to death, and we're all best friends. It'd be cool if party members had conflicting goals other than who gets to bang you, the hero.

Did the newest dragon age do anything cool with party members' in-fighting? I remember the first one being cool? It's been so long though, but I remember fathering the anti-christ at the expense of one of my party members being king.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

SOmetimes I wish Kubo were real so he could take your memories and turn you into a useless old man who at the very least is smart enough to NOT preorder videogames. :mad:

:argh:

Don't tell the animation thread or they'll call YOU the most problematic animated film of 2016!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Digirat posted:

Have they shown any multiplayer gameplay yet because that's all I really care about.

No. There's a beta stress test application in the OP if you have a PS4 or Xbone.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Lurks Morington posted:

Did the newest dragon age do anything cool with party members' in-fighting? I remember the first one being cool? It's been so long though, but I remember fathering the anti-christ at the expense of one of my party members being king.

There's verbal bickering between characters in DAI, and a couple will leave if you piss them off enough, but there's nothing interesting that comes from how they hate each other or whatever.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Suggesting that Citadel is "basically everything wrong with Mass Effect in one final DLC" seems really loving weird to me given the biggest problems with ME3 was that it took itself too seriously trying to do "arty" poo poo like the starchild / dream sequences, and Citadel is completely the opposite end of the spectrum to that.

Citadel was fine, the problem was they wasted one DLC on some writer's favourite character and another trying again to polish the turd that is the Reaper backstory.

I'd say that Leviathan had a lot of decent parts to it. The basic concept of playing detective to track down elder gods was fun. There was more dialog with all squadmates and the way the missions worked meant it integrated more smoothly into the main narrative than any of the other DLC. Even the explanations for why the Reapers were so loving stupid was... mildly okay.

It's just that it was turd polishing, same as the extended cut. Tricky business at the best of times, and when people still have bits of unpolished turd in their sink, they're unlikely to appreciate your efforts.

(For the record, I'd say, speaking personally, with the extended cut and Leviathan, and if you choose Red, the ending is... okay. Not great, not even as good as if they just made the last scene Shepard and Anderson bleeding out as they watched the Reapers die to the last desperate push, but okay. Passable. Not enough to ruin the experience. But, we didn't get any of the mitigating factors until the DLC, and by then the damage was done.)

Omega, though, centers on Aria. And Aria is the worst.

The basic premise of Mass Effect, or at least one of them, is that you're Commander Shepard, and Commander Shepard is hot poo poo. Shepard kills gods, reshapes civilizations, and generally is Time's most influential person in the galaxy, shooting people in the face division. It's sometimes blatant player ego boosting, and it's sometimes awful, but it generally more or less works. Even when Shepard is loving up or getting played, it's done with the knowledge that this is someone whose actions matter to the galactic community.

Aria ignores that. Not in a "I understand you're a galactic badass, and that mostly means you shoot people in the face and don't clean up your own messes, so I hate you" way, but in a "I am more important than you" way. Now, in a lot of narratives, that can work. But Mass Effect already established that Shepard can tell the most powerful people in the galaxy to gently caress themselves and only get a minor reprimand. Aria's authority doesn't make much sense in the context of the rest of the game, but the player is expected to be impressed that she has a tenuous grip on one of the galaxy's larger shitholes.

The situation only gets worse in Mass Effect 3, where Aria gives the player Charlie work and calls on the council to make sure she doesn't have to actually fill out the paperwork for her super-cool-no-really nightclub. I'd say Aria is worse than Kai Leng.

Yes, yes. Kai Leng is terrible. But if you pay attention, you get the impression half the writing staff knew that just as well as the player. Look at the Citadel raid, when he gets stopped because someone hacks his elevator so it stops at every floor. That's not how you deal with a badass. That's how the comic relief villains get kept out of the way. He kills Thane, but if he does, Thane points out that he managed to fight to a draw against a retired assassin who was three quarter's dead from lung disease. And the final fight is just Shepard making GBS threads on him non-stop about how he's a stupid loser who couldn't win a fair fight in a kindergarten, including turning her back on him just so she can break his little sword before stabbing him in the gut. Aria is terrible, (and from some of the conversations about her mistakes, some of the writers agreed), but she doesn't get a cathartic ending where you just get rid of her. Instead, you get a DLC where you team up with her to let her have her lovely little space station again. Even the ending was addressed, however inadequately. Aria continues to be a wart on the game's rear end in a top hat no matter what you do.

But that's all the past. Best to look ahead. Aaand... I'm worried about Andromeda already, even aside from some of the mentioned stuff.

Not just because of past problems, mind. The writing team includes John Dombrow, who did a lot of the generally agreed best parts of Mass Effect 3 (Genophage, Javik, Garrus), so it's not even all a disaster on that front. It's more Ryder.

One of the relatively novel things that worked in Mass Effect was that Shepard was a veteran soldier and a reliable agent. Where the average RPG protagonist is a fuckhead shitfarmer who happens to be The Chosen One and therefore trusted to settle all debts, public and private, Shepard had a record people looked to from the start, for good and ill. You were playing as someone with experience, even before characters started referring to your specific decisions.

Ryder, meanwhile, is rookie fuckstick who gets a job because his or her dad dies or is otherwise incapacitated. Combine that with the changes to interrupts giving Ryder less default character than Shep, and I'm a bit less than thrilled. It's probably baseless, but visions of Corrin from Fire Emblem flash through my head. Then again, getting a self-insert protagonist as lovely as Corrin is a rare, rare thing.

But hey. Doom and Titanfall 2 turned out rock solid despite all predictions, so who the gently caress knows. Suppose it's time for the standard response. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and don't be gullible enough to go in for a preorder.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Aria and Kai Leng appear to be Mac Walters' pet characters given just the sheer amount of ME-related media revolves around them - and they even run into each other. There's this big comic series about exploring some of the backstory of the squad mates from ME1 and 2, but it's rendered through the overarching story of Kai Leng doing some kind of mission.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
this thread needs to be harvested

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Shepard died in the Destroy ending. That was her last breath.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Moola posted:

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

e: duh

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Moola posted:

The Reapers only harvested things of value.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

why everyone speak english

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Unless you're Duchamp you don't get to call a urinal art, and you certainly don't get to take a big poo poo in it and complain that your audience doesn't understand you when they tell you it stinks.

Agreed, but seeing something dumb is okay since, unlike most of ME3, at least this part of the story was entertaining for the reasons they intended.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

everyone has a universal translator installed in their brains

EVERYONE

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

This why https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj0iJtgHOCI&t=37s

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Trast posted:

The Reapers only harvested things of value.

good point

*chooses destroy thread ending*

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

What would the synthesis ending for this thread be? Shitposts merging with... uh, more shitposts?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
synthesis would be people realising that it's possible to both like and hate me3 and having discussions like adults

so for obvious reasons it's the hidden hard to get ending

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
synthesis is where cannibals gain sentience

the real question: do the humans used to make their gun arms also gain sentience?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Question: can we finally just let this go?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

Question: can we finally just let this go?

it would be pretty cool imo

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Once ME:A actually comes out I think it'll cool down

but you know as well as I do this is the white whale of some Mass Effect fans

it'll keep cropping up so long as you keep reading about the series until, like, forever

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, the Dragon Age 2 stuff cooled down after Inquisition was released. I don't know if you remember the pre-release threads for Inquisition but they were pretty stuffed with people still salty over DA2's undercooked-ness forecasting doom for the next in the series. If Andromeda is good I think a lot of people will forgive and forget.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Moola posted:

it would be pretty cool imo

I can't wait until they never make another Mass Effect game again.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I like mass effect and I hope the next one is good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

Hell same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Moola posted:

I like mass effect and I hope the next one is good

can it truly be Mass Effect without the vorcha

actually I bet the first DLC for this will be another Ark arriving with a bunch of panicked non-council races fleeing the Reaper war