Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Droyer posted:

This only makes sense if we assume that the weaponry we've seen them use in the show is the same as the weaponry used 300 years ago. Kimaris aside, all the Barbatos' weapons were either stolen from opponents or built by Teiwaz, and the gusion was (presumably) rebuilt by the brewer's before being rebuilt again by teiwaz.

Barbatos started with one of the gently caress-off huge maces. And they seemed to have several more of them around. The cannon it started using in space is either also from whatever stock they found with it or something they rigged together themselves, not sure which offhand. Given the Gusion as the Brewers had it configured was apparently some sort of massive hack job there's no way of knowing what the hell its original weaponry was like, but that hammer it had might have been part of it given how many other Gundam Frames in this series seem to have them as intended, original equipment. The Ashtaroth or whatever it is from the side-story manga similarly was packing a stupidly huge melee weapon as its original equipment.

Zebulon fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Isn't the original explanation of all the melee weapons and traditional firearms that all Mobile Suits have anti-beam weapon armor?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Isn't the original explanation of all the melee weapons and traditional firearms that all Mobile Suits have anti-beam weapon armor?

Nope. Previously beam weapons were supposedly not a thing that exists in the setting. The focus on melee weapons was because nanolaminate armor is incredibly resistant to ranged weapons. Ranged weapons still existed because having range is still useful.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Going by earlier information it seems as though only Mobile Armour had the capabilities to use beam weapons.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. Previously beam weapons were supposedly not a thing that exists in the setting. The focus on melee weapons was because nanolaminate armor is incredibly resistant to ranged weapons. Ranged weapons still existed because having range is still useful.

Yeah, those giant melee weapons are because equivalently-sized guns can't reliably penetrate nanolaminate armour. Kind of like how tanks have both guns and dozer blades because even the most powerful gun can't crush a building. One thing worth noting, though, is that anti-ship napalm is a popular weapon in space combat for melting off a target's nanolaminate paint and rendering its armour more vulnerable to kinetic attacks. That may mean that nanolaminate armour is worse at absorbing thermal energy than kinetic, which raises some really alarming possibilities about that MA's big fuckoff laser gun.

One thing to remember about Gaelio mentioning the Order of the Seven Stars - he's an aristocrat who takes great pride in his family. Knowing that your ancestors gained their exalted position by slaying dragons does not necessarily mean that you know the intimate details of dragon-slaying yourself.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
That final shot was very End of Evangelion

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Kanos posted:

It's worth noting that Vidar was the one who put forward the "they found a mobile armor" idea and then immediately connected it with "he's going after the Order of the Seven Stars", which then impelled Rustal and company to action. A cynical take on that scenario would be Vidar was intentionally hoping to goad Rustal or one of his subordinates(such as Iok, since Iok appears to be a complete moron) into doing something foolish. It seems unlikely that someone who knows about the deep history of the Calamity War wouldn't grasp the potential consequences of bringing mobile suits into close contact with a mobile armor; McGillis certainly did and avoided it. It's notable that Vidar opted to not join Iok on this operation, despite it being a chance to gently caress McGillis once and for all.

So from this angle, what would Vidar be gaining from provoking this?

Iok's an idiot, and no one remembered to warn him about having mobile suits in close proximity to a mobile armor. Vidar did nothing wrong.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I am just going to regurgitate what everyone else is saying in that I sure as hell did not see this coming after people kept saying Tekkadan would have a Mobile Armor. :catstare:

Nor did I expect such a downright unsettling noise from the sound of a beam firing.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

There was also a link to this:

Someone please link that pixiv account with the iron blooded episodic comics, I lost it and it was funny

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Overlord K posted:

I am just going to regurgitate what everyone else is saying in that I sure as hell did not see this coming after people kept saying Tekkadan would have a Mobile Armor. :catstare:

Nor did I expect such a downright unsettling noise from the sound of a beam firing.

The beam looks good, too, which is common in Gundam shows but never a hard guarantee.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ka0 posted:

Someone please link that pixiv account with the iron blooded episodic comics, I lost it and it was funny
https://twitter.com/kyabosean
Have the artist's Twitter account (also contains link to their Pixv account, too).

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Thank you so much.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/kyabosean/status/803357520127356928

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

AradoBalanga posted:

https://twitter.com/kyabosean
Have the artist's Twitter account (also contains link to their Pixv account, too).

That dude has some interesting reinterpretations of some of the female character designs

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Its ok because his shirtless Akihiro is just as ill proportioned.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
... well then. Seems like mobile armours, beam weaponry, and AI weren't the only series technological firsts that Tekkadan dug out of their mine. :stare:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I like the Flauros but that color scheme has to go.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

You just don't properly appreciate the glory of the Ryusei-Go.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

It needs to go alright.

It needs to make shells go three times faster than a standard railgun shell :smuggo:.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ka0 posted:

Look, don't judge Shino for having odd tastes in personal color schemes.

At least it's not Miguel Aiman/Heine Westenfluss and their eye-searing bright orange color schemes.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Shino just saw a red Gyarados once and thought it was the most awesome thing ever. Really, can you blame him?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just caught up on the latest episode. That sound was not a good sound to hear anything make :suspense:.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
We have manual pics for the Flauros - this page is the only one with new info. I like the fact that firing the railguns in bombardment mode (translation - with both reactors' power supply routed almost exclusively to them) is basically a war crime.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Volume 3 of the IBO manga has a badass cover

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh no, Mika's former hatred of swords was foreshadowing him meeting his greatest nemesis, a sword made out of beams.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh no, Mika's former hatred of swords was foreshadowing him meeting his greatest nemesis, a sword made out of beams.

He never hated swords, he just couldn't figure out how to use one properly. The clubs were much simpler to use, so he just avoided the sword until he had no other options but to try wielding it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of swords, it looks like the Barbstos will be getting a new katana. I'm guessing it'll be forged from the wreckage of the Hashmal or something similarly hardcore... and then Mika will leave it in the hangar for the entire rest of the show and keep on hitting dudes over the head with enormous blunt objects.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You know, a terrible thought occurs; We've now seen most of the typical Gundam cliche's used in some unique form or other, except for one. Which leads me to a horrifying conclusion; The Mobile Armors are controlled by genocidal Haro's.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
so this is basically Sid but in a good show

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

so this is basically Sid but in a good show

Better name, too. It'd be cool if we get to see other MAs named after other angelic classes - I'm guessing that since the Gundams are named after the Ars Goetia, the MAs will be named after the classes in the Golden Dawn version of the Kabbalah rather than anything older. If they want to get super-nerdy, this might just be a Hashmal-class Mobile Armour named Tzadkiel or something.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
Watch out for the terrifying archangel class Mobile Armor.......Michael.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Iok is a loving retard and the only redemption arc that could salvage his character is getting his cockpit turned into a lump of crushed metal. He's def carta 2.0 only his actions are way more harmful to everyone else.

Just look at Kudelias action in contrast to Iok. You might say "oh but these low ranking people are giving their lives willingly for their superiors, there must be SOME good in him." Bullshit. Not only did he wake up the thing in the first place, his comically insane action lead to the team having to abandon their best chance at stopping Hashmal before it killed innocent people. Iok was better off dyiing in the first encounter.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 11, 2016

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Huh, guess that's why mobile suits don't use beam weapons.

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???

Darth Walrus posted:

We have manual pics for the Flauros - this page is the only one with new info. I like the fact that firing the railguns in bombardment mode (translation - with both reactors' power supply routed almost exclusively to them) is basically a war crime.

I like the little detail that Tekkadan uses bullets in Flauros' railguns that are almost, but not quite, reaching the limit of being a war-crime. That's how you know that they're the good guys.

Also, anyone else find it telling that using guns that can pierce Mobile Suit nanolaminate armor is a warcrime but putting kids in the pilot seat of one isn't? Gjallarhorn sure has some weird priorities.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Creamfilled posted:

I like the little detail that Tekkadan uses bullets in Flauros' railguns that are almost, but not quite, reaching the limit of being a war-crime. That's how you know that they're the good guys.

Also, anyone else find it telling that using guns that can pierce Mobile Suit nanolaminate armor is a warcrime but putting kids in the pilot seat of one isn't? Gjallarhorn sure has some weird priorities.

I haven't seen the latest episode yet, but given the tech level I'd bet the shells approach Rod from God velocities. A railgun round hitting the earth fast enough is essentially the kinetic blast of a nuclear strike.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Creamfilled posted:

You sure that isn't one too? The Gjallarhorn soldiers in S1 were certainly pretty :stare: about facing kids.

Assuming that wasn't a mistranslation about the Helmwige, I guess we won't be seeing McGillis hop into his Grimgerde again any time soon. Does increase the odds of him getting his hands on the Baal, though - no way are they going to stick him in a Ritter all the way through.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Now's not the time Vidar.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The beam weapon twist was a nice touch. :allears:

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Iok is a loving retard and the only redemption arc that could salvage his character is getting his cockpit turned into a lump of crushed metal. He's def carta 2.0 only his actions are way more harmful to everyone else.

Just look at Kudelias action in contrast to Iok. You might say "oh but these low ranking people are giving their lives willingly for their superiors, there must be SOME good in him." Bullshit. Not only did he wake up the thing in the first place, his comically insane action lead to the team having to abandon their best chance at stopping Hashmal before it killed innocent people. Iok was better off dyiing in the first encounter.

Not only that, but with the plant down, Chryse is screwed either way now. I can't imagine the colony can take such a hit to its agricultural production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Of course Mikazuki would find it beautiful.

• Locked thread