Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'd like to share a trick I am using with W3 and my steam controller, for anyone else who plays with one. Generally, I bind the right grip to A, or whatever key interact is. Since gallop on roach is the A button, I set up a mode shift for my left joystick so that when the right grip is pressed, the stick only outputs on the horizontal axis. I've found that this makes roach a lot easier to control, and cuts down on the annoying halts when I drift the controller too far down. Using the grip to run on roach also frees up my right thumb to pan the camera around and admire the scenery when I'm on cruise control.

I must say the steam controller is the ultimate way to play this game for me. Since W3 allows simultaneous M+K and gamepad input, I can set up a touch menu to get into each menu screen without having to press start first. (with lore friendly icons to boot) I also prefer setting the double tap touch binding on the right touchpad to call my horse. The default W3 joystick move cuts from walk to run too early IMO as well, so I adjusted that to be a little further out.

If anyone with a steam controller is interested in trying my setup, with the aforementioned tweaks and the mouse joystick the way I like it, I believe you can friend me on steam and copy it from there through big picture mode.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/radiatinglines/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Despite how goofy looking and cheap feeling it is, the Steam controller really owns. It's also rugged as hell despite the aforementioned cheap-feeling plastic. My toddler steals and drops mine constantly, has done so for the year I've owned it and it still works perfectly.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I just love that I kind bind pressing down on the left touch pad to F5 for quicksaving in first/third person games :3

It took me a while to get used to it but I'm using it for nearly all my games now - can't wait for a 2nd gen version to iron it out ergonomically.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Only jank i find with it is when it comes to pulling up an aiming crosshair, but binding that to gyro movement when i whip out the crossbow/bombs fixed that.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I AM BRAWW posted:

One thing I do wish is that the more unique weapons and armors weren't so Shite. I understand that for a Witcher, there isn't much better than Witcher gear, but still. "Here is the An Craite sword, passed down through millions of years." [Even Geralt Recognizes How Epic This Sword is][It's Worse in Every Way than my other swords so I sold it]

As far as I can tell, the best steel sword in the game is a craftable Toussaint Knight's sword, a full 8 levels higher than top spec grandmaster witcher gear. I've picked up a few higher level swords since getting to level 52/53 after the DLC but their status effects aren't as good.

I'm sad that you can't do anything useful with monster trophies. Even after finishing HoS and siding with the elder Borsodi, who claims he'll buy my trophies then disappears, wtf? You ought to be able to start an Unnatural History Museum in Oxenfurt.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

eXXon posted:

I'm sad that you can't do anything useful with monster trophies.

It was a great shame you couldn't mount them and put them on the walls of your house.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

I must say the steam controller is the ultimate way to play this game for me. Since W3 allows simultaneous M+K and gamepad input, I can set up a touch menu to get into each menu screen without having to press start first. (with lore friendly icons to boot) I also prefer setting the double tap touch binding on the right touchpad to call my horse. The default W3 joystick move cuts from walk to run too early IMO as well, so I adjusted that to be a little further out.

I really wish more games allowed simultaneous M+K/controller input as gracefully as witcher 3. You can use DS4windows to put keyboard shortcuts on the touchpad, and when it detects a switch between devices the UI updates incredibly smoothly and painlessly. Also it actually supports directinput out of the box with PS4 UI labels. Why is this so rare.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
On the other hand constantly having 'Controller input changed' or whatever pop up on the screen even when you're not touching your controller, it's just plugged in, is fairly frustrating.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shannow posted:

It was a great shame you couldn't mount them and put them on the walls of your house.

There is that rather hilarious moment where you find that other Witcher's lair and when Geralt sees all the monster trophies he comments on how weird it is to keep them.... while Roach's saddlebags are filled with the trophies he took and then promptly forgot about.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

eXXon posted:

As far as I can tell, the best steel sword in the game is a craftable Toussaint Knight's sword, a full 8 levels higher than top spec grandmaster witcher gear. I've picked up a few higher level swords since getting to level 52/53 after the DLC but their status effects aren't as good.

I'm sad that you can't do anything useful with monster trophies. Even after finishing HoS and siding with the elder Borsodi, who claims he'll buy my trophies then disappears, wtf? You ought to be able to start an Unnatural History Museum in Oxenfurt.

If you loot swords from hidden or guarded treasures, they'll scale to your level, to a point. I used Iris throughout all of B&W because it knocks the socks off human enemies should you not feel like using whirl or rend.

I've mostly preferred using relic swords, Dahlia is a respective alternative to using the grandmaster griffin sword for instance.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 5, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There were more effective combinations via overlevelled chests, but I ended up using Iris/Aerondight becuase it felt right.

Just wish they didn't clip each other when you run.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I beat the main campaign and picked witcher ciri as the ending this time

i actually like it more

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

eonwe posted:

i actually like it more

welcome, friend

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
It's the correct ending

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

eonwe posted:

i actually like it more

That's because:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It's the correct ending

:colbert:

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
While at times I thought Empress would be for the greater good even thought my feels wanted me to pick Witcher, I believe Ciri is too much of a wild child to be a Empress. Plus, she wishes she could lead a "normal" life and the Witcher choice makes sense in that regard, as well.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Honestly, the one choice you can make in the game that makes the most progress towards a "better world" is murdering the gently caress out of Radovid

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That, and decide who rules skellige.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Arcsquad12 posted:

That, and decide who rules skellige.

Have you seen what happens if you don't?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Hjalmar is like Zaeed from Mass Effect - one-man military operation but don't let him in charge of anything for gently caress's sake

(incidentally this thread is a really funny counterpart to Andromeda's)

edit: spoilers as mentioned below

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 5, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Shannow posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress. When I saw the option to put up a trophy j thought that was what it meant

eonwe posted:

i actually like it more

When i beat the game the other day I thought I'd got the bad ending because I knew the bad ending is Ciri dying and you start the good ending by reporting Ciri's death to the emperor with some really disrespectful options (I seriously loved when the emperor asked if Ciri had given Geralt any message to pass on and Geralt says kind of venomously "we didn't talk about you") that gave me the impression Geralt no longer cares if the emperor has him beheaded. Then you run into some peasants and Geralt asks if they need help with anything in a way that sounds kind of pathetic, and I felt like he no longer knew what to do with himself. If I play through again I'll aim for the other ending but witcher ciri feels right tbh

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
The painting of Ciri you can buy and hang up (same one as in Ehmyr's place) is the best argument against the other "good" Ciri ending lol

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Not to ruffle any feathers, but can we keep this thread spoilered for major events?

I loving love hearing reactions from first-time players, the core of this game is how well it pulls off story-telling and evoking emotional responses from the player.

If you spoil the possible endings for the Bloody Baron chain he's gone and his underlings do even worse rape and pillaging no matter what, everything is poo poo, enjoy Witcherverse or the main quest that really fucks up the experience for new players.

This is maybe the only RPG where I will get on my high horse about maintaining ~immersion~ and not spoiling stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Have you seen what happens if you don't?

Yep. Cerys tempers the Skelligans and makes them more cautious, Hjalmar starts ill advised raids so basically business as usual for Skellige. But if neither become ruler, Svenrige creates a monarchy and mobilizes everything against Nilfgaard. So perhaps not the "best for the world" option, but definitely best for Skellige interests.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
^^^^^
once he's out from under his mother's thumb he turns out to be a total bad rear end also

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress. When I saw the option to put up a trophy j thought that was what it meant

When i beat the game the other day I thought I'd got the bad ending because I knew the bad ending is Ciri dying and you start the good ending by reporting Ciri's death to the emperor with some really disrespectful options (I seriously loved when the emperor asked if Ciri had given Geralt any message to pass on and Geralt says kind of venomously "we didn't talk about you") that gave me the impression Geralt no longer cares if the emperor has him beheaded. Then you run into some peasants and Geralt asks if they need help with anything in a way that sounds kind of pathetic, and I felt like he no longer knew what to do with himself. If I play through again I'll aim for the other ending but witcher ciri feels right tbh

Witcher Ciri's ending is NOTHING compared to really just how great and emotional and heart-rending her other ending was. Them saying goodbye was so goddamned emotional and powerful.

Witcher CIri is like some feel good comedy hit of the year, while her other ending is, like, I don't even know. SO good.

The other, Empress, Ciri ending is the best ending. Even if they kinda gently caress it up at the end of B&W. :mad::argh:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 5, 2016

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I discovered that the brothers at the Clever Clogs inn in B&W will buy items at full price. If you saved all of them peacefully. They also sell alchemical alcohol required for white gull so they're Odrin 2.0.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I still like the bad ending the most. Yeah, too bad you need to be an rear end in a top hat dad to Ciri to get it but ignoring that I loved every single thing about it because it's so untypical for the medium and better directed than the other 2 endings. The idea to have the final Crone psychoanalitically tease Geralt throughout the boss fight was really good but then ending it all with Geralt clutching Ciri's medallion and commiting monster-assisted suicide was on another level of heartbreaking that I haven't seen in an AAA+ game before.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Speaking of endings, HoS: I wish Geralt could attempt to save Olgierd (not that I did) but he would just fail. Push the enveloppe that there are things out there that Geralt really has no power over, and there is poo poo way more powerful than him. Beating what is pretty much the Devil felt like a cheap cop out.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I AM BRAWW posted:

Speaking of endings, HoS: I wish Geralt could attempt to save Olgierd (not that I did) but he would just fail. Push the enveloppe that there are things out there that Geralt really has no power over, and there is poo poo way more powerful than him. Beating what is pretty much the Devil felt like a cheap cop out.

Betting against the devil with noble intentions and out-clevering him is a time-honored trope.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Geralt learning the fiddle would have been a better ending. :colbert:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So I'm in Velen and have a general question about the main quest structure. When I got the two leads, the game kind of implies that it might be an either or (Bloody Baron OR witch in the woods). I've started and done parts of both but the game still hasn't been clear if I need to do both or not.

So I guess my question is, are there either or situations in the main quest (I know there are side quest either-ors, it seems there are multiple ways to be bridge passes in the game for example) and does the game spell these situations out clearly?

I'm really enjoying the game and characters so far, my only complaint is that the world seems almost too big, it's a bit overwhelming. Also trying to fastravel can be super annoying sometimes. For example I got dumped out of a cave after a quest near nowhere I had a signpost. So, I horse on over to the nearest town. Filled with Ghouls way too high a level. Ok, next town. No signpost... ok, next town. Wraiths way too high for me and I die.

It was a moment of extreme frustration. All I wanted to do was get back to a town to fix my armor. :smith:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

So I'm in Velen and have a general question about the main quest structure. When I got the two leads, the game kind of implies that it might be an either or (Bloody Baron OR witch in the woods). I've started and done parts of both but the game still hasn't been clear if I need to do both or not.

So I guess my question is, are there either or situations in the main quest (I know there are side quest either-ors, it seems there are multiple ways to be bridge passes in the game for example) and does the game spell these situations out clearly?

I'm really enjoying the game and characters so far, my only complaint is that the world seems almost too big, it's a bit overwhelming. Also trying to fastravel can be super annoying sometimes. For example I got dumped out of a cave after a quest near nowhere I had a signpost. So, I horse on over to the nearest town. Filled with Ghouls way too high a level. Ok, next town. No signpost... ok, next town. Wraiths way too high for me and I die.

It was a moment of extreme frustration. All I wanted to do was get back to a town to fix my armor. :smith:

You have to do both, there aren't that many branching quests really. Certainly you'll get different outcomes but there are only a few quests where you have to pick one content option or another.

The major one is much later in the main quest you'll have an option to "forcefully shove" a major character, if you do that it will abruptly end the quest chain and lock you out of progressing.

Don't worry, you can't really lock yourself out of content and the only point of no return is explicitly stated.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Drifter posted:

Witcher Ciri's ending is NOTHING compared to really just how great and emotional and heart-rending her other ending was. Them saying goodbye was so goddamned emotional and powerful.

Witcher CIri is like some feel good comedy hit of the year, while her other ending is, like, I don't even know. SO good.

The other, Empress, Ciri ending is the best ending. Even if they kinda gently caress it up at the end of B&W. :mad::argh:

I have only played this game, not 1 or 2. I've also not read the books. So I didn't really have any backstory or vested feelings about anyone.

To me, I trained her as a Witcher from childhood. There are no more Wolf School witchers, and witchers in general are on the decline--but obviously necessary. As a witcher, Geralt (and now Ciri) protects the people, lives the life s/he wants, influences all the kings, barons, and emperors and shapes the world without getting dragged into the politics. Having Ciri's sword made and faking her death so she doesn't have to deal with the bullshit of "ruling," and setting her loose to carry on the business of a witcher, seems far more satisfying than watching her leave just to sit on the throne of one of many dumb factions fighting for power and nothing more important.

Like I said, I haven't read the books so I don't know anything about the horrible life a witcher lives. Lambert was a whiny baby but the life seemed pretty awesome to me.

But the other ending is cool too I guess.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
In what I had played of Witcher 1 and playing through 2 I always had the impression the Wild Hunt were ghost riders.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The only reason I didn't gently caress with O'Dimm was because I didn't want him to get obsessed with Geralt. He seems like the kind of dude that would dedicate a lot of time to your downfall.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I AM BRAWW posted:

In what I had played of Witcher 1 and playing through 2 I always had the impression the Wild Hunt were ghost riders.

It's not unfounded. That's how they appear to the peasants who don't know any better.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

I AM BRAWW posted:

The exposition about them being elves from another dimension actually comes from Geralt himself, iirc, right at the end of W2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Was Adam Skorupa ever asked to come back and score Witcher 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

One quick piece of advice: avoid everything north and east of Novigrad. It isn't part of the base game and was actually added by the Hearts Of Stone DLC which assumes you'll be level 30 at least. There's nothing there for you until then.

Another piece of advice actually: do quests as close as possible to the recommended level, any higher and you won't get any experience and any items you get will be vendor trash.