Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

So when you call T-Mobile to get a new SIM because your current one is the wrong size and they tell you 2-4 business days before arrival, they actually mean 2-4 business days before arrival at UPS, and now I have to wait until Friday to actually get my card. Think I might just eat all the ~glorious savings~ I got by doing it over the phone and just go into a physical shop because I would really like to use my new phone outside the house. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

So when you call T-Mobile to get a new SIM because your current one is the wrong size and they tell you 2-4 business days before arrival, they actually mean 2-4 business days before arrival at UPS, and now I have to wait until Friday to actually get my card. Think I might just eat all the ~glorious savings~ I got by doing it over the phone and just go into a physical shop because I would really like to use my new phone outside the house. :(

I've gotten my fair share of new SIM cards from a T-Mobile location and they've never tried to charge me for one before. Might be worth a shot if you're itching.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Just cut it down to size or buy an adapter?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

sleepwalkers posted:

I've gotten my fair share of new SIM cards from a T-Mobile location and they've never tried to charge me for one before. Might be worth a shot if you're itching.

Oh my local one asked for $15 so I thought I was being smart by doing the over the phone thing and saving a few bucks - I'll call around and see if that sales rep / store was hosed up, thanks.

cage-free egghead posted:

Just cut it down to size or buy an adapter?

I don't trust myself to not gently caress this up somehow with what tools I have in the house and then I would have two phones that don't work instead of just one!

Anyway it's not the end of the world I hemmed and hawed about getting a new phone for months so one more week won't kill me, just annoying since I thought I was being proactive and doing everything ahead of time and instead it's this.

Stanley Goodspeed fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 5, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

sleepwalkers posted:

It depends on the store (corp vs franchised) and your plan. I have never been able to get a free SIM.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Oh my local one asked for $15 so I thought I was being smart by doing the over the phone thing and saving a few bucks - I'll call around and see if that sales rep / store was hosed up, thanks.
Ah shoot, that sucks. I know they're supposed to charge; I haven't been on T-Mobile in years, so it may be more strictly enforced now but yeah, I'd just ask for a new SIM since the one I had didn't fit my phone and they were cool with it. Sucks if they're getting stingier with that.

I don't trust myself to not gently caress this up somehow with what tools I have in the house and then I would have two phones that don't work instead of just one!
You have the right idea in that the sane thing to do is to wait, 'cause ultimately it's just a phone and not that big of a deal, but I will say it seems pretty difficult to mess up. I was convinced I'd screwed up my SIM when I did it because it looked janky as all get out, but worked for a long time 'til I replaced it with a proper-sized SIM.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Vagrancy posted:

Tested this myself and the problem is actually caused by Keep itself: Google purposely decided to merge multiple Keep notifications into one instead of going with the bundle style. Sounds like you actually wanted the Nougat automatic bundling of 4+ notifications (which would allow you to access the individual notifications) but that only happens when the developer doesn't specify.

That's so funny because when I was researching my issue, the only thing I found from Google was how to incorporate the Nougat style notifications into an app. But Google didn't bother doing it for their own app?? What the hell

Anyway thank you so much for figuring that out because it was driving me insane. I did think it was weird that I had 12 Slickdeal alerts from their app but I was able to unbundle them. I had no idea why Keep wouldn't and it was driving me crazy. Thank you again. Hopefully Google incorporates their own Nougat updates into Keep soon. If not, I will check out one of the apps you recommended. The most important thing to me is the alert or reminder staying in the notifications area because otherwise I will never remember them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Verizon has indicated a new Pixel update will come today. Most people expected it due to security updates usually coming out on the first Monday of the month. No mention of the double tap to wake though, so that still might be preview software.

On other news, Moto shocked the world by rolling Marshmallow (6.0.1 no less with November's security patch) to the OG Droid Turbo. Not Nougat, but better than keeping it stuck on Lollipop and better than a lot of two year old phones. With that and the Moto Z line getting Nougat so soon, maybe they are starting to turn their software around. I'm curious to see now how long it will take for the Moto X Pure to get updated.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

And just like that, 7.1.1 OTAs are posted.

What's interesting is with last month, there were three distinct images (Europe, Verizon, North America.). This month it appears to be unified with NMF26O.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 5, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

bull3964 posted:

And just like that, 7.1.1 OTAs are posted.

What's interesting is with last month, there were three distinct images (Europe, Verizon, North America.). This month it appears to be unified with NMF26O.

In the 6P Realm though, the image dropped for all carriers Except Verizon. Lol probably something to do with the intigrated VVM or just they don't want Nexuses raining on their Pixel party yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My guess is either VVM or wifi calling. Noticed there was no such warning about the 5x.

In general, it's not unusual for Google, just take a look at some of their older phones and you see things like "All carriers but T-Mobile.". Likely small quirks that aren't fully ironed out yet.

My guess is the phone would work fine if you flashed it, but may have something not quite work as expected. The issue is when the carrier version of the update hits, you'll have to either wait until the next month for the images to consolidate or do a full flash and reset.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 5, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I remember having this on my iPhone 3G/4 back in the day and still to this day I do not have it on Android. The only rough equivalent was "Rogers OneNumber" which was a weird piece of poo poo VOIP thing that cost extra.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

I remember having this on my iPhone 3G/4 back in the day and still to this day I do not have it on Android. The only rough equivalent was "Rogers OneNumber" which was a weird piece of poo poo VOIP thing that cost extra.

Sounds like an issue with your carrier. Integrated VVM has just worked for a number of carriers stateside for awhile and even Verizon is in on the game in 7.1+

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I continue to be ridiculously impressed with the Pixel's camera

BRB I'm going to go shank a fool by the courthouse

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Question for you other Pixel owners: are there any mirrored screen protectors available? I tried searching Amazon, eBay, etc... but I haven't been able to find anything; I'm guessing it's still too early to see accessories like that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Sounds like an issue with your carrier. Integrated VVM has just worked for a number of carriers stateside for awhile and even Verizon is in on the game in 7.1+

Oh 100% most likely, Canadian carriers are steaming piles. Is VVM on Android integrated into the phone app? God I wish I could have that :(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Scaramouche posted:

BRB I'm going to go shank a fool by the courthouse

Make sure to take a picture so we can see how well the pixel handles those reds!

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Does anyone else have a problem with LTE inside buildings on their pixel?

On my Verizon Pixel, using on at&t, i get LTE while outside, but in my worl building, I am getting H, doen to E, and sometimes even disconnect. i miss a lot of calls.

This isn't a big building and I have a window, and never had problems on pass phone(nexus 6). people from South America seems to have some similar problems, but I am in a major US city.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
So has anyone found a decent Pixel tempered glass protector that doesn't seem comically undersized? I got the Spartan one that someone mentioned being okayish on the XL but it's more like 3mm short on each side on my Pixel, which looks awful

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is VVM on Android integrated into the phone app?

Yup, it's another tab in the Phone app.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yup, it's another tab in the Phone app.

Ugggggggggggh I hate you Rogers, I'm so jealous

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ugggggggggggh I hate you Rogers, I'm so jealous

Having switched back to verizon, now I'm excited for this update.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Wacky Delly posted:

Having switched back to verizon, now I'm excited for this update.

Me too. Maybe I can finally stop using Google Voice for voicemail transcriptions.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Relative Android neophyte question: When I use the Google voice prompt search thing to launch Google Play Music it automatically turns my "Downloaded Only" setting off. I don't know why it does that and I don't know how to make it stop.

This means that if I'm sitting in the car and want to play my collection of <Dumb Band I Like> music, I go into voice prompt and say "play Dumb Band I Like" and my phone (S6 Active) goes "sure thing, let me just load up Dumb Band I Like Radio and use your data plan to stream you the same loving music that you have stored locally right here on this device :downs:" and I have to use the actual phone UI to make it stop playing that music and start local playback. I would like to be able to use voice commands to play music when I'm driving, because I like not being literally dead.

In summary, why does my phone do this, and how do I make it stop?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hooah posted:

Me too. Maybe I can finally stop using Google Voice for voicemail transcriptions.

Built in VVM doesn't do transcriptions.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

My first thought is that you probably need to be more specific. Just saying "Play band name" will play "band name radio". You might try telling it to play a specific album, or make a playlist of those songs and tell it to play that playlist.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

loquacius posted:

Relative Android neophyte question: When I use the Google voice prompt search thing to launch Google Play Music it automatically turns my "Downloaded Only" setting off. I don't know why it does that and I don't know how to make it stop.

This means that if I'm sitting in the car and want to play my collection of <Dumb Band I Like> music, I go into voice prompt and say "play Dumb Band I Like" and my phone (S6 Active) goes "sure thing, let me just load up Dumb Band I Like Radio and use your data plan to stream you the same loving music that you have stored locally right here on this device :downs:" and I have to use the actual phone UI to make it stop playing that music and start local playback. I would like to be able to use voice commands to play music when I'm driving, because I like not being literally dead.

In summary, why does my phone do this, and how do I make it stop?

What happens if you tell it to "Play <Horrible Song> by <Dumb Band I Like>"?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, is the 5x about to get wifi calling on Verizon or something?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Wait, is the 5x about to get wifi calling on Verizon or something?

Maybe? It sounds like 7.1.1 is getting all the Verizon stuff they added specifically for the Pixels meaning wifi calling and native visual voice mail.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

At the very least, the 5x should get VVM on Verizon. I don't know about wifi calling, but I do know people on the preview were saying that VVM was working with their 5x.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Wacky Delly posted:

My first thought is that you probably need to be more specific. Just saying "Play band name" will play "band name radio". You might try telling it to play a specific album, or make a playlist of those songs and tell it to play that playlist.

nimper posted:

What happens if you tell it to "Play <Horrible Song> by <Dumb Band I Like>"?

This appears to launch single-album playback, which also works if I say a specific album's name -- perplexingly, it STILL turns Downloaded Only off, but it still does local playback instead of streaming stuff at me without being asked.

I like shuffling all of a band's albums together when I listen to music, though; is there really no way of doing that via voice prompt without making playlists for each and every band in my library? It's easy enough to do it via touch UI; why would there be no way to do it via voice?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
This is so awesome. I was told WiFi calling would never come to the 5x because the 5x isn't even sold by Verizon. I can't wait.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Fi gets VVM integrated into the phone app as well.

On the 5X, at the very least. I assume it's the same for other phones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

This is so awesome. I was told WiFi calling would never come to the 5x because the 5x isn't even sold by Verizon. I can't wait.

Still won't get your hopes up on wifi calling. VVM sure, but not necessarily wifi calling.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want it so bad? Verizon signal that bad where you are?

On another note, LG really needs a new name for their next phone as LG G6 is already a product that exists in their line.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 5, 2016

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

On another note, LG really needs a new name for their next phone as LG G6 is already a product that exists in their line.

Pretty sure you're getting it mixed up with the F6 or something. Before the G2 was the Optimus G and those phones so I'm not sure where you're getting G6 from.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

Built in VVM doesn't do transcriptions.

Well that's not very visual, is it? Guess I'll stick with GV if I can be bothered to set it up on this new line/phone.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hooah posted:

Well that's not very visual, is it? Guess I'll stick with GV if I can be bothered to set it up on this new line/phone.

The novelty of VVM is that you don't have to call in to get your messages.

We Google Voice users have been spoiled with the transcriptions these many years, even if said transcriptions aren't always great.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

loquacius posted:

This appears to launch single-album playback, which also works if I say a specific album's name -- perplexingly, it STILL turns Downloaded Only off, but it still does local playback instead of streaming stuff at me without being asked.

I like shuffling all of a band's albums together when I listen to music, though; is there really no way of doing that via voice prompt without making playlists for each and every band in my library? It's easy enough to do it via touch UI; why would there be no way to do it via voice?

I think that was the gripe ARS had about the Google Home and the Google Assistant overall. How it will always try for online radio playback over any local music on a device or on your Google Play account.

Have you tried making a Playlist of your "Dumb Artist Music" and telling it to play that?*

*Edit, looks like you know about that sorta.

Yea until Google adds some new updates to their Assistant it looks like you are sorta boned on voice communicating your local data savings.

Welcome to the stupid disconnection of the Bay Area elites and the rest of the world with limited data allotments. :negative:

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 5, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone know if the Pixels have apt-x for Bluetooth? I did a quick Google search, but only found people asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Still won't get your hopes up on wifi calling. VVM sure, but not necessarily wifi calling.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want it so bad? Verizon signal that bad where you are?

Yep. The signal for Verizon is terrible just on my block. It's really weird. I even bought a network extender but it's completely random with when it feels like connecting to it.

Oh well. Wifi calling would be great but I've lived without it this long.