Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

According to the director that thing that Shiro stomps on is very important. As is that shriveled corpse. Oh and that weird wrapped body with the stake through it too, now that I think of it. The director explained them all since none of these things are ever mentioned in game, but I'm not sure if I should mention what their significance is. At least not yet. Speculate away~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope you'll mention in full the director commentary on these after the LP concludes, as I am also curious as to their nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

IronSaber posted:

I hope you'll mention in full the director commentary on these after the LP concludes, as I am also curious as to their nature.

I'm going to second this. Added information about the story that's not in the story itself could possibly provide some insight.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
So:
1. Shiro has been "trying everything" on Risa and Mina
2. Later on in the day, he finds a badly injured Yoriko and Kyoya
3. Later still Tamon finds Yoriko's glasses in that hidden room, but no Yoriko
4. I do not see this ending well for either Yoriko or Kyoya

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

but I'm not sure if I should mention what their significance is.
Look, it's not complicated - if you have to ask, you already know the answer

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah, I went and looked it up (since I've gone through the game before) and it's absolutely 100% something for after the game's done.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The thing is, Shiro is very much of a jerk (even strangling aside) but I like to think in this situation this is what a doctor would do. Revenants rising from the dead? Spontaneous regeneration of necrotic tissue? Crazy mutations occurring in hours? Jeez louise that makes no sense and I'm going to start cutting stuff. It's almost like he's meant to represent a kind of decadent "real world" outside of the village that's helpless in the face of this wackiness.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Scaramouche posted:

The thing is, Shiro is very much of a jerk (even strangling aside) but I like to think in this situation this is what a doctor would do. Revenants rising from the dead? Spontaneous regeneration of necrotic tissue? Crazy mutations occurring in hours? Jeez louise that makes no sense and I'm going to start cutting stuff. It's almost like he's meant to represent a kind of decadent "real world" outside of the village that's helpless in the face of this wackiness.

I think it's pretty clear so far that Shiro's a sociopath.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Scaramouche posted:

I don't think a normal doctor would do it while they're in the apocalypse these things are causing.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Yeah, don't forget that Shiro killed Mina first and strangled Risa, hastening her transformation. And If you're still unsure, wait until the next video where SGF showed what exactly Shiro writes down. I am also curious about Uryen because I forgot what's that artifact and who is the desiccated shibito that handed it to Shiro.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Shiro's going the path of Dr. Mengele I see. Good thing Kei had the sense to get the hell out of there before Shiro got the bright idea to try testing shibito-fication thresholds on him.

(yes they are zombies, but they're pretty clearly not screaming for no reason which means they at least register pain if not anticipation of pain so no this is not something any doctor would start doing even outside an apocalypse)

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Looks, guys, it's hardly Shiro's fault that Shibito are unaffected by every anesthetic he has available to him. But science must march on. Especially in the face of an apocalypse.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
arguably they arent sane anymore anyway so further suffering probably wont cause permanent harm.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:
ITT we discuss the ethics of experimenting on the undead.

(I love this LP)

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So... What happened to Tomoko? Is that spoiler territory, it is it more likely that SGF is gonna discuss it next time?

Regardless, gonna agree that while it's totally kosher to be experimenting on the Shibito to get a better understanding of them, the fact that Shiro I'd there one performing the experiments makes things awkward, considering he made at least two people into shibito to begin with.

Snoop Radley
Sep 26, 2011

Hail to the baby king. :3:

bman in 2288 posted:

So... What happened to Tomoko? Is that spoiler territory, it is it more likely that SGF is gonna discuss it next time?
What kind of an answer are you looking for? She turned into a shibito and wandered off, presumably to do shibito-like things such as sniping old family friends and hammering walls.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
My guess is they're asking how Tomoko died and became a shibito in the first place. Which I'm curious about myself, but can wait on if it's spoilers.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I think the question is, if the nun shibito-fied her, or Tomoko started turning (on her own?) and that's why the nun took off.

So, Shiro is clearly a psychopath/ murderer now. I wonder if we will get to play as him again, and if so, did players had the urge to just let a pack of Shibito hammer him to death?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Iretep posted:

arguably they arent sane anymore anyway so further suffering probably wont cause permanent harm.

Just because it won't cause permanent harm doesn't make it okay. If you scrape your knee, that (probably) doesn't cause permanent harm but it still hurts, you still don't like that. Heck, just because someone is insane doesn't mean that they cannot suffer further mental trauma. Being effectively tortured would certainly quality.

Snoop Radley posted:

What kind of an answer are you looking for? She turned into a shibito and wandered off, presumably to do shibito-like things such as sniping old family friends and hammering walls.

Or take up gardening!

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
"Shiro Myata just wants a quiet life" comes to mind when he asks to be left alone

azren
Feb 14, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

"Shiro has tried everything."

:stare:

I doubt he's tried quite everything...

Clearly, he just needs to recite the following:

"OGTHROD AI'F
GEB'L—EE'H
YOG-SOTHOTH
'NGAH'NG AI'Y
ZHRO"

This should reduce the immortal dead to their "essential saltes," which you then immerse in acid for good measure. There, problem solved. :cthulhu:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
For everyone debating the ethics of Shiro's little science experiment there, remember that he didn't just grab any old shibito to experiment on; he grabbed the two young women whom he personally killed. His interest clearly isn't strictly medical.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

ZiegeDame posted:

For everyone debating the ethics of Shiro's little science experiment there, remember that he didn't just grab any old shibito to experiment on; he grabbed the two young women whom he personally killed. His interest clearly isn't strictly medical.

Also, usually when this is dealt with in other media, it's for the purposes of finding a cure or some other benefit. Also it usually takes longer than a day. Shiro found a good out of the way place to slab them up and then 'experimented.' These are people he knew very well, and one of them was a co-worker. Would you be able to do that? Especially while they are screaming and reacting the entire time? Shiro better get one hell of a come-uppance.

Dude is a doctor at a small town clinic, most likely something went down with Mina where he killed her, and he killed her sister in the same dang way. Also, just to speculate further, most likely Mina trusted him quite a bit to meet him in the middle of the woods and he got close enough to strangle her successfully.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Also he had, y'know, a secret underground dungeon with an undead corpse already strapped into a torture chair before this whole thing started

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HenryEx posted:

Also he had, y'know, a secret underground dungeon with an undead corpse already strapped into a torture chair before this whole thing started

Isn't this the hospital that disappeared back in the 1920s or whatever? I could be wrong but I don't think that's his torture room. My guess is that between that and the weird tied up and staked corpse, we're going to find out that the people running the ritual the first time were into some horrible poo poo.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HenryEx posted:

I thought the clinic reappeared out of nowhere and was not where Shiro worked. It had disappeared in the 70s earthquake or whatever. That dungeon couldn't be his.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I thought the clinic reappeared out of nowhere and was not where Shiro worked. It had disappeared in the 70s earthquake or whatever. That dungeon couldn't be his.

It's his now.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, he seemed pretty at ease with the Zelda puzzle to access the secret basement, and the skeletonized bondage ghoul handing him some McGuffin. Maybe he didn't use it before, but i feel like he knew about it.

Also about the wiggling tape mummy with the ritual stake in the basement coffin, from the previous time we did this mission.

edit: that sounded kinda like the shibito verson of Clue

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It's the Miyata clinic, and he was adopted by the Miyatas, as I recall. So perhaps he picked up on something his adoptive father had been up to, and acted on that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I know what's going on - Shiro will be the ultimate hero at the end of the game. They will be fighting Mina's final form only for her to turn back to normal with Shiro coming out from behind her with a needle going "I'VE FOUND THE CURE! I CAN FIX THE CURSE! Just this once EVERYBODY LIVES!"

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

BioEnchanted posted:

I know what's going on - Shiro will be the ultimate hero at the end of the game. They will be fighting Mina's final form only for her to turn back to normal with Shiro coming out from behind her with a needle going "I'VE FOUND THE CURE! I CAN FIX THE CURSE! Just this once EVERYBODY LIVES!"

Alternately: Shiro is the only survivor at the end, and ultimately is the 'protagonist' of the game.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
If only Risa had found a better weapon than that umbrella..... I'm sure that a hospital would have more blunt objects than that.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

OldMemes posted:

If only Risa had found a better weapon than that umbrella..... I'm sure that a hospital would have more blunt objects than that.

Like the EEG machine.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

BioEnchanted posted:

"EVERYBODY LIVES! Except Mina and Risa, after I bring them back to life, I'm going to strangle them again!"

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

HenryEx posted:

I dunno, he seemed pretty at ease with the Zelda puzzle to access the secret basement, and the skeletonized bondage ghoul handing him some McGuffin. Maybe he didn't use it before, but i feel like he knew about it.

Also about the wiggling tape mummy with the ritual stake in the basement coffin, from the previous time we did this mission.

edit: that sounded kinda like the shibito verson of Clue

Shiro does not startle when he opens a door to an underground room with bloody surgery tables. But he does visibly flinch when he sees a person strapped to the wall, or alternately he flinches when he realizes that person is still animate.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Shiro's issue with this situation is not that people are dying, but that they won't. just. stay. DEAD.

It's very frustrating for him.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's kind of a threat to his profession. If people don't die and just regenerate everything, he won't have any patients.

It's just in his best interests, and in those of the entire medical profession, really.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Stacy (film) 2001
School girl Zombies that are powered by love.

The reason I bring it up is Shiro reminds me of that crazy doctor in the film that had literally barrels of zombie parts that he'd experiment on to figure out how they ticked.
Example, he discovered that the zombies take exactly 348 knife stabs to kill because he would stab them 348 times.

Personally, I welcome our mad scientist zombie experimenting overlords.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
If we're looking for a hero, who is even still alive at this point? We've got Shiro, Kei, and Tamon as basically our only options. Miyako is important, but playing a level as her would be kinda tough. Hisako is obviously in cahoots with the alien god. And last we saw of Kyoya and Yoriko they were on the express train to shibito station. All told Tamon is the clear stand out.

Unless of course it's Harumi who saves the day.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Gotta admit i'm kinda lost again. At the end i hope there's a Memento-DVD style bonus playlist that plays all the stage(video)s in their final, actual chronological order. Though i'm unsure how to handle the "stage happened twice and both consequences are canon" mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Well the both episodes are canon thing works as long as they're not directly contradicting. So for the recent example, you have Shiro finding the secret underground, and then defeating Mina. Whereas with Akira's first stage, really only the 2nd objective makes sense considering him running into Naoko and then rescuing Yoriko.

• Locked thread