Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Rhyno posted:

They were the third biggest company for several years.

By the time that game came out though they were being criminally mismanaged by Akklaim. If my memory is right that game came out just as they were winding down the first version of the universe and about to roll out a different take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mints posted:

By the time that game came out though they were being criminally mismanaged by Akklaim. If my memory is right that game came out just as they were winding down the first version of the universe and about to roll out a different take.

Yup, the "Acclaim Comics/Valiant Heroes" era which is actually really fantastic that gave us Qauntum & Woody and probably the best version of Shadowman we've ever seen.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I am so excited for Stalinverse.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
This is going to be all kinds of fun.

Also it's slightly bothering me that there seem to be box outlines around some of the logo stuff. It's not as bad as when the Okami rerelease clearly had the IGN watermark though.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
If I wanted to dabble in Valiant what TPBs should I pick up? I already read Divinity (the first book) and the first few issues of X-O, Harbinger, and Bloodshot. I've heard Quantum & Woody and Ivar Timewalker are good?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alucard Nacirema posted:

If I wanted to dabble in Valiant what TPBs should I pick up? I already read Divinity (the first book) and the first few issues of X-O, Harbinger, and Bloodshot.

Archer and Armstrong. Also keep on reading X-O and Harbinger as they are the backbone of the reboot universe.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Doctor Mirage!!

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Space Fish posted:

Doctor Mirage!!

that looked interesting but I think you have to read Shadowman to understand it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You can read Quantum & Woody or you can be an rear end in a top hat, your choice.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

that looked interesting but I think you have to read Shadowman to understand it?

Not only do you not, you shouldn't as Shadownman is the only mediocre title that Valiant has yet had.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Doctor Mirage was one of the first Valiant trades I ever read and I had no idea about Shadowman (and he doesn't figure into Mirage's stories anyway, only the reverse), so please, dive right in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Faith #4 is out tomorrow and it's pretty drat great.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

X-O posted:

Not only do you not, you shouldn't as Shadownman is the only mediocre title that Valiant has yet had.

I'm realizing that right now. I'm almost done reading through "Act I" based on the Reddit reading list I found (first three X-O, first three Harbinger, first three Bloodshot, Harbinger Wars, first three Archer and Armstrong, first volume of Eternal Warrior and first three Shadowman). I'm working through Shadowman and while it isn't outright bad or anything, it's still the most cookie-cutter thing.

Plus whenever I read it, I get the theme to Hammer Man stuck in my head.

"Shadow! Shadow! ShadowMAN! Shadow! ShadowMAN! Shadow!"

But hey, up next is the first couple trades of Quantum and Woody.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The biggest problem with Shadowman is that he's neither a robot nor a ninja.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
The biggest problem with Shadowman is that he was misnamed. He should be named 'LittleWhinyBabyMan'.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Shadowman I know doesn't whine, he very awkwardly third person shoots.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shadowman in the Ninjak arc is pretty rad. As written by Kindt. Also the 4001 Shadowman is pretty great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

From the Bleeding Cool story announcing that Harbinger Wars 2 event:

quote:

However, the first four issues of the Harbinger Renegade series will also be directly tied to the events of the publisher’s upcoming event with Harbinger Wars 2 #0. In a direct homage to the original Jim Shooter and David Lapham’s original Harbinger #0, the book can only be obtained by redeeming four coupons included in the opening arc of Harbinger Renegade and mailing them away to Valiant directly.

Valiant :allears:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The thing I took away from the first three trades of Shadowman is that Shadowman himself is the most mundane superhero despite having a decent enough villain and that Baron Samedi would've made for a WAY better protagonist.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Agreed, Shadowman is often the least effective and interesting character in his own stories, which is a shame because everyone and everything around him is ripe for good stories.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If Valiant hires me, a guy who only knows the video game version of Shadowman, I can save the character.

Step 1: Really large sunglasses.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A little birdy told me they approached Garth Ennis about relaunching Shadowman but he wasn't interested this time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

A little birdy told me they approached Garth Ennis about relaunching Shadowman but he wasn't interested this time.

Thank God.

Shadowman is good in the Ninjak arc with him and the 4001 version is awesome. So basically let Matt Kindt or Jody Houser write it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The four issue Acclaim Shadowman is the best the character ever was. He also consulted on the video game and that was very popular.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 4, 2016

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Huh, neat Image reference in Faith.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just read the first volume of X-O Manowar through Comixology Unlimited, and I have to say I'm really looking forward to reading more from this universe.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

I just read the first volume of X-O Manowar through Comixology Unlimited, and I have to say I'm really looking forward to reading more from this universe.

Yeah it's good. Toyo Harada is a great setting villain because his goals and motivations are good enough for him to be somewhat sympathetic but his methods are reprehensible enough to be clearly evil. Divinity was also just... Cool. The first series had a lot that put me in mind of the tenor of primary sources from the early USSR.

And all the 'heroes' are actually in an uneasy alliance where frequent brawls feel organic. Aric is actually a bit of a jerk.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Harada hits me as mid-00's Xavier without the baggage of readers getting mad that they ruined a classic character. That's one of the refreshing things about Valiant as a whole to me. Despite being reused characters and ideas, they don't seem to have such strong ties to the more innocent days of comics to the point that you aren't allowed to have them be jerks or fuckups. You can get an Emerald Twilight situation without having to sidestep it later in order to subdue to angry fans of yesteryear.

That's why I've been interested in Harbinger from the trades I've read so far. It's an X-Men story where the Xavier Institute is made of assholes, the government is made of assholes and our heroes are all broken and flawed people except one and the rest of the team strives to become better because of her. It works from the ground up.

Plus I like how Harada's origin compares to Magneto's. World War II, while a horrible thing across the board because war, has two catastrophic situations that really stick out through history. One gave us Magneto and it's easier to sympathize because it was something the good guys were fighting against. The other gave us Harada and it's muddier and less savory to take in because it's something the "good guys" caused.

Meanwhile, I read through the first two Quantum and Woody trades. It's nice reading a fun Booster Gold book with all the time travel removed.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

It's apparently not official, but there's a chance of a Dr. Mirage show coming to CW. Having trouble linking on mobile, but optimistic. iZombie on CW is amazing, although this show doesn't have Rob Thomas backing it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Castigate me for being oblivious, but why isn't Dysart on Harbinger Renegades? The dialogue in this sucks.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Just dropping in to let everybody know: Valiant linewide sale on Comixology is from today til 12.2

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

YES

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is it normal to imagine Ron Perlman's voice for every character while reading these comics?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Can't believe Ultron is coming

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Roth posted:

Is it normal to imagine Ron Perlman's voice for every character while reading these comics?

Torque is John Cena and I won't hear any different.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I promised myself the next line-wide sale that came along I was going to get everything I didn't have already and welp

Worth it though, I'm going to reread from the start. COMPLETIONISM!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno about y'all but I get so much more from re-reads, and after finishing act one of this reading order I'm changing my favorite comic from Harbinger to A&A. FVL does some real tight plotting and storytelling, and knowing what's going to happen, even years down the line makes the reread much more rich. Also it has great, funny dialog with out being quippy and it probably has the best art from that first round of books. Also "Nothing is Forever" is a great and layered motto for a nihilist secret society.

The only one of these I hadn't read before is Shadowman and I heard it wasn't great and it is sooooo not great. For some reason I thought Milligan wrote the whole thing instead of the fourth volume and half-way through the first trade I was like "what is up with this terrible dialog" and then I saw it was written by loving Justin Jordan. So, like Luther Strode, the book has great art, action and character design and fan-fiction-tier unnatural atrocious dialog.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well the Milligan stuff is even worse than the Justin Jordan stuff. Until Kindt got his hands on Shadowman in the Ninjak crossover the Jordan stuff was by far the best Shadowman material Valiant had put out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So far Matt Kindt can do no wrong in regards to Valiant. Happy to see him taking Aric into deep space.

Badass design art here: http://www.cbr.com/x-o-manowar-character-designs-valiant-exclusive/

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 5, 2016