Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

efb ^

We couldn't bear to lose his ability.

When Rondo reveals himself as useless and replaceable he starts to become the worst locker room cancer possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

Well the Raptors were #1 in Rick's latest power ranking, so I think it's safe to say that Old School is about to become the New School.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

efb ^

This means starting PG MCW, right? Careful what you are wishing for here.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

Yes Caanan can.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

imagine if Rondo didn't try to be like KG

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Do you think at this point rondo will finally wash out of the league and terrorize the Liaoning Flying Leopards instead or do you think there's a bunch of teams still willing to go
gently caress it and give him a shot
How much is enough???

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

MCW will at least defend. Rondo does nothing well.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

“Since I’ve been a part of this league, I can’t recall when they’ve actually made rules that have actually helped to improve the game of basketball,” Draymond Green’s agent B.J. Armstrong said.

Sorry MV but BJ Armstrong is trash

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

Sorry MV but BJ Armstrong is trash

Actually Barack Obama is good.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

When Rondo reveals himself as useless and replaceable he starts to become the worst locker room cancer possible

Brian Cardinal's career PER with the Mavs was 7.7 and he absolutely unambiguously contributed more than Rondo did in his time there just by sitting on the bench making Dirk laugh.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Actually Barack Obama is good.
Hahah thanks for remInding me of that poo poo. Beauty

:sad: America had to gently caress up president armstrong's legacy this year

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Janitor's only purpose was for Carlisle to sub him in for Dirk and to foul as legally hard as possible to Lebron in the nba finals.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Spacebump posted:

JaVale couldn't get minutes over a 29 year old rookie by the end of last season. That was on a team that desperately needed rim protection. To really highlight it the Mavs did better with old Dirk playing defense at the center position.

It's just weird for a guy that was an above replacement center for his first 5 season in the league to go to poo poo at the age of 26.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Boosh! posted:

Might be a dickhead? MSG might've set Barnes off with a vocal "De-rek Fish-er" chant.

for them what missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YpRodOd1nI

I'm pretty sure Mike Breen mentioned it during the broadcast

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Gobias Ind. posted:

Well the Raptors were #1 in Rick's latest power ranking, so I think it's safe to say that Old School is about to become the New School.

There's a thin line between old school and new school

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

It's just weird for a guy that was an above replacement center for his first 5 season in the league to go to poo poo at the age of 26.

Well, he is dumb as a brick so

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Kristaps Porzingis is the 26th best player in the league by ESPN's RPM:

Derrick Rose is 376th out of 419
Kemba Walker is the 4th best PG in the league.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/805812688613875712

Speculation? Late to the team bus? Told Hoiberg to go fly a kite?

Didn't wear a tie on the team plane

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

EvanTH posted:

Kemba Walker is the 4th best PG in the league.

I was gonna make a post about how he is like the 3rd or 4th best Husky at this point and then I remember Emeka Okafor and what the gently caress happened to Emeka Okafor?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Paul Zuvella posted:

I was gonna make a post about how he is like the 3rd or 4th best Husky at this point and then I remember Emeka Okafor and what the gently caress happened to Emeka Okafor?

Got a back injury and couldn't stay healthy or consistently keep up physically anymore.

Halfling Wizard Bear
Oct 12, 2003

I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Is Javale just not the same since his injury? Or did his defensive stats just look good because he was playing on a pretty good Denver team?

I know he was never amazing, but he looked like an average starter to me and now he's barely playing.

He was a better shot blocker(and goal tender) than defender, and Andre Miller made him look better on offense than he actually is

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dutchy posted:

Brian Cardinal's career PER with the Mavs was 7.7 and he absolutely unambiguously contributed more than Rondo did in his time there just by sitting on the bench making Dirk laugh.

Brian Cardinal actually had a positive contribution in a playoff game while in Dallas. The best thing that happened with playoff Rondo on the Mavs was getting kicked off the team.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I think Rondo was literally trying to force Carlisle to bench him at that point

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The worst thing for the Mavericks isn't Rondo making GBS threads up essentially an entire season into waste, it's also making them trade away Jae Crowder

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Where is embiid on rpm

Probably too many turn overs to be real high.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

RPM doesn't use box score stats. Embiid is pretty high, #19 for Centers. #24 for Defense with a fairly impressive +1.54, #19 on offense with -0.71 (Centers usually are low on offense with a few notable exceptions like DMC and KAT). That is pretty solid for playing minutes on an otherwise pretty bad team.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM/position/9

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Speaking of Rose, the Knicks announcers were saying how Rose said he thinks he can be better than his MVP season, that he used to play "too fast" and now he feels like he is much smarter. It made me laugh and feel good to know that deep down he knows he's terrible now and it's never coming back.

(Derrick Rose is a rapist)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Man rpm is complete garbage

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/tomhaberstroh/status/805865221336272896

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Just in before 2016 ends

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/805866880275648513

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Boogie is also rubbing his knuckles talking about punching some dude.... lol Kings

For gods sake if you're going to punch a fool out wear some boxing gloves and learn some good technique

Horford torments me by saying turning down the Rockets was "very difficult" before tonight's game.

Back to LAKERS chat every waking moment on ESPN.

Not a peep on D-Mo, Rockets have to make a decision before the end of the day.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 5, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Lol i love you rick, and i like your approach of ranking each week separately

This week was hard because I really just wanted to rank the Hawks last and move on, hahah.

Dexo posted:

efb ^

The only time Rondo looked good in a game I've seen this year was the Lakers game where all the other Bulls were shooting like 30% and his steady 36% shooting excelled.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Man rpm is complete garbage

It's a stupid black box poo poo ESPN stat, so yes

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
It's hard to imagine how ESPN could get more unlikable but re-hiring Magic Johnson for his lukewarm takes on the game of basketball is certainly one way to do it.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Libertine posted:

It's hard to imagine how ESPN could get more unlikable but re-hiring Magic Johnson for his lukewarm takes on the game of basketball is certainly one way to do it.

It's kind of like watching a combination of Larry Merchant and Eric Dickerson.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

AggressivelyStupid posted:

It's a stupid black box poo poo ESPN stat, so yes

nah, there's nothing black box about it at all:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/10740818/introducing-real-plus-minus

https://cornerthreehoops.wordpress.com/2014/04/17/explaining-espns-real-plus-minus/

http://deadspin.com/just-what-the-hell-is-real-plus-minus-espns-new-nba-s-1560361469

Ilardi could have written more about what ridge regression and bayesian estimation in their initial introduction piece, but that's useless information to most readers. All of these pieces do a decent job of explaining the intuition behind the estimation technique, priors, changes made to APM, etc.

but sure, it doesn't rank Embiid or whoever you like high enough this season so gently caress it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It's pretty early in the season, and the way the weightings are learned I think its usually pretty dicey until December/January.

I think its also important that it doesn't really tell you who is BEST, but rather how the player is doing in his current role. Joel Embiid osn't playing huge minutes, so that probably helps his BPM, but the offense also runs through him to get him touches which is not optimal, so that probably hurts it.

It's a good stat, but it tells you different things than stuff like PER or WS would.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Magic likes the Clips in the was t. But the rockets, they jave got jarden. Can't sleep on the spurs. And the warriors can beat anyonr when their shots are falling. Don't forget about the guangzhou securities long lions who could make some noise IF they're admitted into the NBA in the middle of this season.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

If DeRozan can continue to score 35 points every night, he has a chance to win the scoring title!

The Warriors have a good chance to win the game if they can hit 40 3-pointers!

I like ketchup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Matt barnes, enraged by Derek Fisher chant, goes out and hurts someone that night. piece of poo poo man

• Locked thread