Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also $50 is ridiculous for a remaster of a game that was a minor cult hit at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

precision posted:

so that Grasshopper/Suda51/Akira Yamaoko F2P roguelike soulslike ended up being actually really good so far, really surprising
Saw some footage that half-sold me on it, but I don't have an online subscription so I dunno whether or not that would neuter the experience since it seems to have some online elements.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

Also $50 is ridiculous for a remaster of a game that was a minor cult hit at best.

Gotta pay the Duke Tax Baby. Blow it out your rear end!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

In Training posted:

I started MMX over and beat Penguin Man and its night and loving day with the dash + jump boosting through every level and not giving a crap about enemies. This game is amazing now, why in the world do they hide this ability in one of the stages??
I want to say mmx was a near console release game? So they hadn't really figured things out yet in regards to the new mechanics. 2 on and he has dash boots by default, and the boot upgrades let you double air dash and such.

That said, the game is still completable without the dash boots, there is a password that starts you off with chill penguin beaten and no boots, which are normally impossible to get past without taking.

Mmx is also supremely satisfying to beat doing buster only or lemons only runs.
Hi I'm randy pitchford, watch me run my formerly successful company into a cliff face like a rocket-powered car.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

Many remakes of games that were already available on steam offer at least a discount for owner's of the previous version. Also, high profile remakes like bioshock and skyrim that just came out were given for free to those who already had the old versions.

Oh well I didn't know that about Bioshock/Skyrim, that's pretty cool. I guess I was wrong

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Randy pitchford is a terrifyingly bad businessperson.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

How can you say that after Battleborn?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've seen Battleborn on sale around here for £3, that's epic failure price.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

Saw some footage that half-sold me on it, but I don't have an online subscription so I dunno whether or not that would neuter the experience since it seems to have some online elements.

you dont need PS+ for f2p games or games with a separate subscription like ff14

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Captain Invictus posted:

Was he always the boss, like, back in the Opposing Fronts days or even just the BIA ones? Only heard of him during Borderlands marketing.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I don't know what Randy's supposed to do about it. Wave his hand and give coupons to everyone who already bought the game while flipping off the people who made the remastered version with his other? That screenshot is of one person asking a question and getting an answer, then another person getting huffy about the answer and implying that not giving special discounts will tank sales. Just another entitled person on the internet complaining about how things are cheap enough even while they identify themselves with the icon from a games distributor known for having the largest and most widespread sales in the market. If you can't wait to buy Bulletstorm a second time until the inevitable 70% discount, I don't know what to tell you.

e: If people wanted Bulletstorm for free they should have bought Battleborn. The Duke's golden voice is going to claw them back into the black.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 5, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Can we work on a literal meaning for the word "soulslike"?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

melee attacks on triggers.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Jay Rust posted:

I'll bite. Let's start with what could be considered core tenets of a "Souls" like system.

Third-person action RPG
Checkpoint system but no lives
Death results in currency being placed where you died to be collected before the next death
Stamina for running, jumping, and attacks
Scarcity of health and healing items emphasizes defense and evasion in combat

Those are just some "off the dome"

We can also look at games that have been called "Soulslike" to see what they have in common. Things like Salt & Sanctuary, Lords of the Fallen, and Nioh.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Spending 90% of the game dodge rolling around hosed up looking monster duders

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I feel like the combat has a really methodical pacing, with tight controls and an emphasis on skill over arcade-y action.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Jay Rust posted:

Hobby grade difficulty

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'll bite. Let's start with what could be considered core tenets of a "Souls" like system.

Third-person action RPG
Checkpoint system but no lives
Death results in currency being placed where you died to be collected before the next death
Stamina for running, jumping, and attacks
Scarcity of health and healing items emphasizes defense and evasion in combat

Those are just some "off the dome"

We can also look at games that have been called "Soulslike" to see what they have in common. Things like Salt & Sanctuary, Lords of the Fallen, and Nioh.

Add to that that real progress is measured in collection of inventory and unlocking parts of the environment.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

StrixNebulosa posted:

a really methodical pacing, with tight controls and an emphasis on skill over arcade-y action.

Nice humblebrag about your sex life wow

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

It's slightly less stupid sounding than "the dark souls of ____"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jay Rust posted:

Did we ever figure out a term for the Arkham series' combat? Is it "free-flow" or is that not widely understood enough with saying mentioning Arkham in the same sentence?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lobok posted:

Did we ever figure out a term for the Arkham series' combat? Is it "free-flow" or is that not widely understood enough with saying mentioning Arkham in the same sentence?

IIRC "freeflow" is what the devs themselves call the Arkham combat system.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Dark Souls is the Mike Tyson's Punch Out of JRPGs.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Stux posted:

you dont need PS+ for f2p games or games with a separate subscription like ff14
Ah, well, that's something I suppose.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dark Souls 1 is the Dark Souls of the Soulsborne series

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

Gotta pay the Battleborn FPS; hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic tax.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

haveblue posted:

Add to that that real progress is measured in collection of inventory and unlocking parts of the environment.

Isn't that, like, zelda?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Dark Souls 1 is the Dark Souls of the Soulsborne series

I'd argue that it was one of the more darksoulsian entries into the series

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

LawfulWaffle posted:

I don't know what Randy's supposed to do about it.

He could have chosen not to engage the second random dude, that's a criminally underrated option that is always available on the internet.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Isn't that, like, zelda?

You're not wrong, there was a really good article comparing Dark Souls to the original Legend of Zelda. Looking online, I can't find the exact one but the parallels have been drawn many times.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Isn't that, like, zelda?

Eh, in Zelda getting new items means new abilities and changing how you interact with the environment. In Dark Souls everything is either a weapon or a key (or sometimes both) but your capabilities remain more or less static (depending on how you look at magic)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh you've never gotten the double jump in Dark Souls?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MMF Freeway posted:

I find it hard to retain information unless a grotesque youtuber shouts it at me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPAITAuuk-8

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Oh you've never gotten the double jump in Dark Souls?

I can't even single jump!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

IMO, I feel like what makes the Souls franchise unique (Bloodborne included) can be distilled down into four core components:
  • Methodical, equipment-dependent combat
  • Storytelling through inference
  • Loss of progression as a penalty for failure, typically forfeiting important resources, with conditional avenues to recover your progress
  • Community assistance and interference
There's more to any given Souls game than just this, of course, but these are the things that set the series apart for me; the things that, when I see them in another game, I think to myself, "Ah, they're doing the Souls thing." While it's true the Souls games tend to boast some strong level design and the promise of an interconnected world, that's nothing other games haven't already done. Back when Dark Souls first came out, I remember reading a review that likened it to a 3D Metroidvania.

All this to say, if we're to create a new category to encompass "Souls and Souls-like games," these are the four things I think we should focus on.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

There have been other games which attempted one or more of the above ideas, of course, but none that I'm aware of which handled them in quite the same way, save perhaps for Monster Hunter with regards to equipment-based combat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Monster Hunter and Dark Souls' combat is surprisingly similar.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The most key component of "souls" is that it feels like playing a 90's PC game without the manual.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I think that knowledge based progression is a core part of what make Dark Souls what it is. Like I could start up a new file on Bloodborne and clear a significant portion of the content within an hour.

I love that in Souls games and it's also a big reason why I love Dead Rising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Shout-outs to all the people who played through Fallout 3 without realizing there was a flashlight.

• Locked thread