Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I would try Sanches but I just don't really have a place for him, I run a 41212 and I'm not replacing Draxler or Vidal

If I ran like a 4-3-3 I might do it.

I think my next upgrade is just replacing Bellarabi with Ribery, and then after that I'm basically set and can just wait for the SBC Aubamayeng to come out and I can replace IF Hernandez with him and use the Hernandez money to replace Naldo with Boateng, and then I think my team is set.

I could replace Leno with Neuer but I'm not ever sure that having a really good goalie actually does anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Sanches is good but much like Ramires he's just a touch too poo poo on the ball. I wanted try Castro IF but he's completely extinct on PC.

Ramires had good dribbling dude. Also I have Sanches with Artist on and he's a smooth dribbler for me. His defense and positioning alone would keep him in my squad, the decent dribbling and passing is just extra. I haven't had a box to box CM who is always in the right position defensively and offensively like Sanches.

Stefan Prodan posted:

I would try Sanches but I just don't really have a place for him, I run a 41212 and I'm not replacing Draxler or Vidal

If I ran like a 4-3-3 I might do it.

I think my next upgrade is just replacing Bellarabi with Ribery, and then after that I'm basically set and can just wait for the SBC Aubamayeng to come out and I can replace IF Hernandez with him and use the Hernandez money to replace Naldo with Boateng, and then I think my team is set.

I could replace Leno with Neuer but I'm not ever sure that having a really good goalie actually does anything

You could try running the 41212 wide to try him out, he's really awesome. I haven't tried using the normal 41212 yet this year, it looks weak but I'll try it out soon. As for keepers I'm sure Neuer is good but he's not worth the price tag. Adler has been the best Bundesliga keeper for me so far. Keepers are so hit and miss. Perin was THE best keeper in serie A last year at 81, Butland is at least top 3 in the EPL at 82 etc. etc.

I got IF Werner for 20k the first day of TOTW and then flipped him for 50k later. He's actually really good, it's weird his price is so high though. Despite being a 90 pace st IF he's still only an 81 rated player and not in the EPL or Liga.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm using 41212 wide, did you mean narrow?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I'm using 41212 wide, did you mean narrow?

Yeah. Also try out Toprak over Naldo. He's the best CB I've used in the Bundesliga yet. Quick, good on the ball, decent passing, great defense and a 5* wf. He was one of the biggest surprises so far. Much better than Sokratis for me.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I have Naldo and Hummels currently, I have Toprak on my bench but Naldo is just so fuckin tall I like having that extra insurance against header goals

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

I have Naldo and Hummels currently, I have Toprak on my bench but Naldo is just so fuckin tall I like having that extra insurance against header goals

Header goals are so rare this year and CBs with attacking rates always go higher up than I prefer, even Koulibaly with H/H is in peoples faces for no reason a lot. I'm valuing passing and ball control a lot more this year on CBs as well. It gets you out of a lot of stupid situations that fifa loves to throw at you, especially the steal the ball and then take first touch that sets up your opponent perfectly thing.

e- I made a starting 11 for all the serie a squads this past sunday. I'll do the RPL this weekend then quit doing them. I figured possibly getting Aubameyang and then doing my two favorite fifa leagues is a good idea.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 6, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I dunno I've gotten pretty decent at defense so most of my concessions are like long shots, headers, and corners so if I can cut 2 of those down seems like a good idea

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Russian MPs accuse Fifa 17 video game of 'gay propaganda'

:gay:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Russian MPs should come in parmos voice chat sometime, we'll show em how gay this game can get

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I dunno I've gotten pretty decent at defense so most of my concessions are like long shots, headers, and corners so if I can cut 2 of those down seems like a good idea

90% of the goals I give up come from my CB being perfectly positioned but getting megged for a goal or an assist, and of course, rebound goals. I get a header scored on me once every ten games maybe.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol yeah I definitely get my share of those too

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I had an MLS squad because I knew the MVP vote was coming out soon and I did the Villa challenge for free. I then on went to win the MLS qualifier with him after failing in the final the first time. 12 goals in 4 games. 3 in the final. He's really awesome, I definitely recommend him. Best positioning I've used on a forward yet and his passing was much better than I expected. He could be an awesome CAM in a Spanish squad with catalyst and he of course slots into any MLS squad.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
One of the best striker-as-CAMs I had was Jovetic from last year (or maybe it was 15?), he just did absolutely everything well and had respectable height and heading too which most CAMs don't

I eventually replaced him with De Bruyne but he was real good

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

One of the best striker-as-CAMs I had was Jovetic from last year (or maybe it was 15?), he just did absolutely everything well and had respectable height and heading too which most CAMs don't

I eventually replaced him with De Bruyne but he was real good

Fifa 14 Diego Forlan at CAM >>>. Jovetic was an awesome CAM for a couple years though definitely. But seriously Villa is really good. Everything exceeded my expectations. He has better dribbling than IF Bolasie for me and crazy good finishing from everywhere. I've found a lot of times this year that a player positions himself really well and then when I look out their stats they have High/Low work rates which are rare. 92 positioning on Villa helps but I honestly think H/L is much more important than people might realize this year.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just played some Canadian guy whose team name was TORONTO GOD who kept slide tackling me while I was protecting the ball and got 3 red cards. He was on voice even though I wasn't and he kept yelling THAT WAS CLEAN every time.

I hope it was a gimmick because it did make me laugh. I only won 2-0 because I'm trash but it was definitely an unusual game.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard

Stefan Prodan posted:

I just played some Canadian guy whose team name was TORONTO GOD who kept slide tackling me while I was protecting the ball and got 3 red cards. He was on voice even though I wasn't and he kept yelling THAT WAS CLEAN every time.

I hope it was a gimmick because it did make me laugh. I only won 2-0 because I'm trash but it was definitely an unusual game.

I find when I play someone I know is really poo poo (not just bad, but really bad), I seem to drop my guard too much and start playing their same lovely style. I'm not sure what it is (maybe I just get too relaxed) and usually takes me until the half to snap out of it and play my standard game.

I'm not going to play till probably beginning of January so I sold my players and took the money to buy a bunch of OTW manes and dembeles - hopefully at least one of them gets an IF this December so I can afford Ronnie in the new year

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Well I mean he was smart enough to use subs and swap people around so he still had a full back line and CDM so it wasn't like piss easy to score on him it was just easy to get it into his box and not get scored on

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Get David Villa

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

Get David Villa

After hearing many good things about him, I did, and built a team around him for the weekend league this weekend and everything, and while testing the squad out in divisions he scored an absolutely filthy goal for me that I of course forgot to save.

But yeah, get Villa, you can build him for like 20-25k right now.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
Superlig SBC is out. Sad it was Eto'o and not Sneijder.

At least I can sell all my silvers and make some coin

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
Baddington FC got some gold hardware for the first time. Somehow this means we're in the top 2% of clubs.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The Costa POTM challenge requires 11 totws loll

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Resident rpl viewer in this thread, isn't the season over in Russia soon? Debating whether I should get the group stage Giuliano or if theres a chance he might get another IF.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
ja, they are on their mid-season break till march, he will not be getting another IF till then, unless he goes bonkers in the europa knockouts, but that is doubtfull since russian teams notoriously totally poo poo the bed during the knockouts, due to retarded structure of their season

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 10, 2016

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Given that OTWs don't get MOTM upgrades it doesn't matter if he'll be great in europe or not.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah I forgot to mention, I averaged gold in the weekend league last month so as my reward, you apparently get THREE team of the week players. I got some crap idiot that I forgot, 84 CAM Kalou which wasn't bad and at least is in the same league as I use, and...Arjen fuckin Robben!

I had just bought him anyway so getting the 88 overall Robben let me sell my old Robben and I had just enough after that to buy Aubameyang so uh my squad is pretty much almost done except for replacing Naldo with Boateng and Baba with Alaba.

If SBC Aubameyang ever comes out then I'll sell the one I have and use that to get some other buff player maybe either as super sub at a position that Bundesliga seems relatively weak at (like CAM) or just upgrade one of my other dudes to TOTW.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Dang, nice. I only played two weekends so I got silver, looking at gold for sure this month, but it would probably be elite if I was able to play all 5 weekends.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, I averaged gold in the weekend league last month so as my reward, you apparently get THREE team of the week players. I got some crap idiot that I forgot, 84 CAM Kalou which wasn't bad and at least is in the same league as I use, and...Arjen fuckin Robben!

I had just bought him anyway so getting the 88 overall Robben let me sell my old Robben and I had just enough after that to buy Aubameyang so uh my squad is pretty much almost done except for replacing Naldo with Boateng and Baba with Alaba.

If SBC Aubameyang ever comes out then I'll sell the one I have and use that to get some other buff player maybe either as super sub at a position that Bundesliga seems relatively weak at (like CAM) or just upgrade one of my other dudes to TOTW.

That's cool, most people get poo poo in those packs. Speaking of I think I said I made a decision to just go 5-11 wins each WL because timewise and funwise it doesn't make sense to go for much more. I got my Silver reward.... As someone who likes silvers a lot I was hoping for something sort of cool (got Gayle last month who is a top 5 silver striker) and I got ..... Boguski. But wait it gets better I got his 71 rated silver in form not his 74 rated silver in form. I get rewarding more wins with better prizes but the gap between silver 3 and gold 3 is like 30 games and theres no prize scaling between that. Just 1 silver or 3 golds. They need to rework the rewards pretty heavily imo. If I qualify for 4 weekend leagues in a month and get 10 wins each time I think that warrants at least one gold untradeable imo.

Anyways off to a 5-1 start.

Get.... David..... Villa while you still can

Past Kante and over the bunkered in counter attacking backline on his weakfoot. He seriously might be the best striker I've used. The weakness + lack of heading is offset but the skills weak foot and just all out versatility. He can take literally any shot. He has the longshot taker and finesse shot traits it's crazy. Also you know how certain players in the game stick to the ball even after getting knocked off it (dybala, Hazard, Messi etc.) he has that ability as well somehow despite just merely "good" dribbling stats. I'm serious when I say he's a better dribbler than IF Bolasie for me. 10 games 23 goals. 4 wl qualifiers 5 wl games and 1 quick match.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Dunno who I'd put Villa in over, he doesn't pass well enough for me to put in at CAM and I'm not sure I"d rather have him in over IF Hernandez or Aubameyang although maybe I could get him and sub him in for Hernandez or something, I dunno.

Played a bunch of my weekend games, 17-8 so far which is meh but I could still probably get Gold 1 if I play decently. Still hoping to crack 29 for Elite 3 at some point but prob not this week since I'd have to finish out 12-3.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Dunno who I'd put Villa in over, he doesn't pass well enough for me to put in at CAM and I'm not sure I"d rather have him in over IF Hernandez or Aubameyang although maybe I could get him and sub him in for Hernandez or something, I dunno.

Played a bunch of my weekend games, 17-8 so far which is meh but I could still probably get Gold 1 if I play decently. Still hoping to crack 29 for Elite 3 at some point but prob not this week since I'd have to finish out 12-3.

I'm 8-1 right now primarily using my Villa squad. Read into that what you will. Villa's short passing is crisp, he could easily play CAM. If you only use one squad (sounds like you do) then yeah he's not going to fit into a Bundesliga side, but as the striker in a Spanish 433 he's a menace. I've been going up and then subbing on Sanches for Obiang in the middle at half. I'm definitely going to build a nicer money squad around him later, it's a shame Spain doesn't have a Sanches/Nainggolan type player.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Well if you are scoring 2 goals a game with him it sounds like you are just better at scoring than me in general :)

I mainly win like 1-0, 2-1 kinda games, although I'm always working on my offense but I don't really think it's my players that are the problem, i tend to have a problem with the very last part of the play, like choosing the correct pass between through/driven pass/normal pass/lobbed through ball, or like taking one too many passes, or poo poo like that I think

I can get it to the opposing box pretty reliably but whether I can get any shots off varies wildly game to game for me

My goals for/against averages over like a 500 game sample in seasons now are like 1.65 for and 1.25 against

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ended up at 25-13 which is still a personal record at gold 1, maybe I can get some good stuff in the packs

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm 11-1. I don't know if I'll have time to play more though. I think the biggest reason for my success this time around was completely abandoning the win at all cost tactics everyone's been using. I've set teams out with zero tactics and set to either neutral or attacking. Me actually using fullbacks to attack is like alien to the people I meet at this point. My defense has always been good so I stopped caring about the counter attack. It's made the game a lot more fun again (winning helps too). The only player instructions I have are on my CDM and Striker(s).

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I never did any of that as far as parking the bus or any cheesy poo poo, I'm just not great at scoring yet. If I can get up to like 2+ goals a game average I'm pretty sure I could crush some dudes, I think I'm pretty okay at defense already. I could try to get my goals against down to like 1 but as far as I can tell getting lower than that is like truly exceptional.

11-1 is pretty sick though I think the best record I've had with 11 wins was like 11-3.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
By the way Seltzer I'm thinkin if they do come out with a Bundesliga SBC chances are it will require some TOTWs and especially Dortmund ones if it's gonna be Aubameyang so it might be good to grab a couple cheap Dortmund IFs, right?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
For me the big issue is just consistency, from game to game and within a game. Like, I can play well and get a lead and then do stupid stuff and give away leads late and poo poo.

When I'm on my game it just feels really good and I rarely, rarely meet people I feel like I stand no chance against (I've bumped into a couple top 100 players on fridays and got wrecked each time), but I make sooo many stupid drat mistakes and give away leads or advantages against players I should beat.

A good one today was againt a guy who scored early but I then dominated the rest of the game, evening it up in like the 30th minute, and he went full on park the bus pass it around the back for the entire rest of the game, into extra time, playing specifically to get to penalties. I had a bunch of good chances but just had a bad shooting game. The joke here is that my penalty win rate is like 90+%, so I hit all 4 of my shots and he missed 2 of his first 3 and lost.

Obviously it would have been nice to win early, especially with all the opportunities I had, but the idea of a guy who is god awful at penalties playing specifically to get to them really cracked me up.

I also had a game where I scored 6 goals and still lost to a 90th minute counter attack, 6-7. Neither of our goalies had a single save.
Part of my problem is just that I refuse to play to protect a lead, which probably means I'm really incredibly dumb, but whatever, I'm here to score some loving goals.

e:

Stefan Prodan posted:

By the way Seltzer I'm thinkin if they do come out with a Bundesliga SBC chances are it will require some TOTWs and especially Dortmund ones if it's gonna be Aubameyang so it might be good to grab a couple cheap Dortmund IFs, right?

As of right now, it's probably gonna be Lewandowski I think? Pretty sure every league has been the previous season's top scorer (that's still in the league this year)

hopterque fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 11, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh boo I thought it would be the previous season's MVP or something? At least I thought we all decided it would be Aubameyang. Well, I'd try a 92 Lewandowski or something, that would be cool too probably

I never play to save a lead either, I treat every game as practice where I want to get better whether I win or lose, that's the only way to actually get good I think

I mean I don't try to play dumb or anything but I don't just kill it for the last 30 minutes or something like some weekend league people do

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 11, 2016

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Well yeah, I don't play like an idiot with a lead on purpose, it just keeps happening somehow!

Maybe I'm an idiot.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Haha I just meant like some people just sit on a 1 goal lead for 40 minutes, you know who I mean

Okay Seltzer, I spent 50k and got Villa, hope this dude is good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
He's good, 50k is a lot though, I spent like 20-25k.

I couldn't get a squad working for him this weekend that felt good so I switched it up but he's great.

• Locked thread