Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

took my mom to the hospital tonight and she just called saying doctors think she has gallbladder cancer. after reading about it online i feel pretty crappy and im all torn up about a lot of different things right now. i dont know if i want to stay in school which will be important big picture once shes gone and my dad left is taking care of their grandkids because of a lovely situation (dumb sibling, no chance of them getting their act together even now) and we all pretty poor, or if i should take however long she still has off to primarily work and spend as much time with her as i can. hopefully tomorrow things are different and some of the other tests say something different, i dont know. im mostly writing this to help me feel better bc i have no friends and its stressful talking to my dad about it right now. ill write a non-depressing confession when im feeling better.

It'll definitely be tough for a while, but I'm of the opinion that if it's at all possible to finish your degree while putting food on the table (part-time classes, maybe community college) you absolutely should. It's a good long-term investment. Talk to your dad about if he can tough it out until you graduate at which point you'll help out yourself; maybe he can do it.

quote:

So, I'm homosexual. I live in Canada and was raised by 2 liberal atheist parents. And yet, I am very firmly in the closet, and will never come out, for one simple reason: the stereotype.

I am a MAN who loves MEN. I have no intention of being lumped in with effeminate, simpering queers or those disgusting degenerates who go on parade in leather fetish suits. The stereotype that homosexuals are subjected to is appalling. Freaks have managed to taint the entire concept of homosexuality by co-opting it to try and make their debased fetishes normal and mainstream.

You know why the Greeks accepted homosexuals? Because they didn't act like this! Homosexuality wasn't intertwined with hideous fetishes and femininity. Men could love other men and still be men.

I'm a gay man, and I will admit it on the day when that doesn't come with the expectation that I either pitch my voice up and act like a woman or dress like a Mad Max extra.

You're being real log-cabiny about this bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Geez, bit touchy about your masculinity fella?

Why the heck does it matter how other people live their lives? Go be happy in a big Greco-Roman wrestling orgy or something and others can go be happy in their leather fetish suits.

E: I mean gently caress there are about 100 billion different gay subcultures for hypermasculinity go loving hog wild

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

quote:

So, I'm homosexual. I live in Canada and was raised by 2 liberal atheist parents. And yet, I am very firmly in the closet, and will never come out, for one simple reason: the stereotype.

I am a MAN who loves MEN. I have no intention of being lumped in with effeminate, simpering queers or those disgusting degenerates who go on parade in leather fetish suits. The stereotype that homosexuals are subjected to is appalling. Freaks have managed to taint the entire concept of homosexuality by co-opting it to try and make their debased fetishes normal and mainstream.

You know why the Greeks accepted homosexuals? Because they didn't act like this! Homosexuality wasn't intertwined with hideous fetishes and femininity. Men could love other men and still be men.

I'm a gay man, and I will admit it on the day when that doesn't come with the expectation that I either pitch my voice up and act like a woman or dress like a Mad Max extra.

I know quite a few "regular guy" gay guys. In fact one of them is my roommate. You coming out and letting people know you're gay has nothing to do with how other gay people act man. It's just your sexuality, not your personality.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

loquacius posted:

quote:

Imagine having masculinity so fragile that you become a homophobic homosexual

also lmao "the ancient greeks accepted gays because gays didn't act like this!" they also accepted boning kids too, if you find a feminine dude more objectionable than actual pedophilia, you have way more issues than any of us can help you with

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Look at all the goons jumping down the dudes throat for trying to not get stereotyped.

Too bad the stereotype he's trying to avoid falls into the goodthink group and must be good. Clearly this gay man is homophobic.

Actual advice- 98% of gay dudes are exactly like you in the whole "tried their best to avoid the deviant image" and are, in fact, good enough at doing so you probably didn't realize they were gay. Most people's impressions of gay men are the super flamboyant stereotype not out of hate, but simply because it's the most visible one.

Your never gonna completely avoid the looming stereotype, but just acting like yourself is pretty much the key to showing everyone around you that literally nothing is different, except your not lying to yourself.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Hey, dude can do what he likes, just saying don't be a dick if others do too

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Double Monocle posted:

Look at all the goons jumping down the dudes throat for trying to not get stereotyped.

Too bad the stereotype he's trying to avoid falls into the goodthink group and must be good. Clearly this gay man is homophobic.

Actual advice- 98% of gay dudes are exactly like you in the whole "tried their best to avoid the deviant image" and are, in fact, good enough at doing so you probably didn't realize they were gay. Most people's impressions of gay men are the super flamboyant stereotype not out of hate, but simply because it's the most visible one.

Your never gonna completely avoid the looming stereotype, but just acting like yourself is pretty much the key to showing everyone around you that literally nothing is different, except your not lying to yourself.

If you don't consider calling gay men "simpering queers" and "disgusting degenerates" homophobic, then :shrug:

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

loquacius posted:

When I was really young, I would take a poo poo in my hands and put my poop into my Play-Doh dispensers. I'd shape my feces into various forms, like a crescent moon or a star.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I won't gently caress a man who doesn't simper enough

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Danaru posted:

If you don't consider calling gay men "simpering queers" and "disgusting degenerates" homophobic, then :shrug:

it's an anonymous confession. His verbiage was embellished to illustrate his point, but continue to be morally outraged on our behalf.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm not mad at him for basically stereotyping himself, I'm just kind of nonplussed that he apparently has never heard of non-gender-bendy gay dudes. Like Solice Kirsk said, most of the gay dudes I actually know are normal guys who happen to like dudes. His whole thing kind of comes off as, well, log-cabiny.

sharia_law_conspiracy_theory_poop.txt

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Double Monocle posted:

it's an anonymous confession. His verbiage was embellished to illustrate his point, but continue to be morally outraged on our behalf.

you are not the only gay person in the world, hth

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Double Monocle posted:

Guys, I think we found him.

Also my brother and his fiance are gay, and not at all the stereotype, so anon is really self-hating it seems and lashing out.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Double Monocle posted:

Well, not really anonymous after the author started defending himself in the thread.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

There are people who hate gays for (hilarious verbage) "shoving it down their throats". Then they find out someobe is gay and retain their opinion convinced that person is "just one of the good ones".

I don't know if gaygoon's went too liberal and vcr'd pride parades or other extremes. Or he isnt attracted to effeminents. Or, most likely, despite liberal parents you are scared shitless of what people will think of you and blaming it on others.

I hope you meet "one of the good ones" yourself so you see nobody cares and normal people dont associate them with pride week in the office.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

loquacius posted:

This was not written by someone who's spent any actual time around gay/bi men. Finding effeminate or leather dudes takes actual effort, as others have said most of them are typical boring dudes who just wanna get laid too.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Some people just buy into a stereotype and can't let it go, even if it is about a community they belong to. That can lead to a lot of shame and self loathing.

Secret gay man, you know that you are not the "flaming queer" that you are disgusted by. Is it unreasonable to think that there are others like you? Maybe some of them don't like this kind of behavior or maybe they just don't care about it. You don't have to like "those people" to be gay and you don't have to be like them. Anyone that imposes that stereotype on you is an idiot or a bigot (including, currently, yourself). Don't let bigotry keep you from living your life.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

This was not written by someone who's spent any actual time around gay/bi men. Finding effeminate or leather dudes takes actual effort, as others have said most of them are typical boring dudes who just wanna get laid too.

Eh, I've met my fair share of effeminate gay guys too (mostly through my normal gay guy friends and theater friends). The thing is that those guys typically like to hang out with other guys like them and not so much watch football and make fun of Tom Brady's haircut like me and my friends do. They certainly exist, but I'd be hard pressed to find anyone, including my redneck uncles and cousins, that believe all gay guys act like that. Maybe in Oklahoma or something it's more common, but it seems like such a minor thing to be worried about that there may be something deeper going on. Sort of like if I didn't want to mention I'm Hispanic to anyone for fear that they'd think I'm a Latin King.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
"I'm gonna make you simper like a queer, boy"-- gay hillbilly in Deliverance

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Maybe he's a Marine: "Simper Fi"

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

The good thing about gay people is if God's sending them all to hell, at least you know it's been gentrified by now.

Like, the only problem with hell is you can't afford to live there anymore.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
lotta dudes in here thinking about getting busy with other dudes and other dudes getting busy with other dudes

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
That's a lot of dudesex

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
literally all I ever think about nooner

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
theres a lot worse things to be thinkin' about

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I'm a pyromaniac and have burnt down 7 abandoned buildings in my life. I always make sure no humans or animals are inside the places I burn, as I am not a murderer or animal killer. In fact I view this as an act of compassion since these abandoned buildings are usually in bad shape and need cleared out. I typically scope a place out for a week or so, then the night before the burn I go in and make sure no homeless live in there and there are no stray animals. If there are, I move on to a new place.

Do you know that feeling some people get when they pop a pimple, or crack a stiff back? Or the feeling of a nice hot shower after a long day of hard work getting sweaty and dirty? That's how burning makes me feel. I am able to keep it contained most of the time by watching videos of fires, burning yard waste in my yard, and burning things in my grill.

But every year or so I feel the urge for a big burn.

quote:

My wife and I have no secrets between us, except for one, and I fear it may soon cause a major issue.

I have always been a relatively fit and athletic guy; played football and did cross country in HS and kept going with my training through college and beyond, even thought I stopped playing football or running competitively. I also picked up a hobby/sport/part time job during this time.

My wife and I met online and we dated for about a year, spending the weekends together but living about 3 hours apart during the week. During this time I doubled down on my hobby/sport/job during the week since I was missing the Friday and Saturday night events which were usually big money earners for me.

Three weeks ago my girlfriend moved in with me after finding a local job. We're starting to discuss marriage at this point, and nothing would make me happier.

However, I do see a conflict coming up regarding my hobby/sport/job I have kept from her for the past year. I am a (very small time) professional wrestler. I wrestle under a fake name but the posters with my face on them are around town advertising Wednesday Night Fights. I am not the champ, but I'm considered a draw as a midcard heel and the promoter has constantly told me if I showed up to more shows I would be booked as a main event heel no problem. I also sell merchandise I make myself and already make about 200 dollars a night. I could probably pull close to 1000 a week if I was booked as a top heel and ran three shows a week.

I sacrificed the Friday and Saturday night shows for my girlfriend, but never gave up Wednesdays. I told her I volunteer at a homeless shelter and explain away my bumps and bruises as drunks picking fights with me because I'm a big guy. I have had surgery on my left knee and my shoulders as well, but I told her that was due to falling off a ladder at home (kind of true, I jumped off a ladder to finish a match) getting in a minor car accident (also kind of true, I tore my shoulder after being bodyslammed into a car hood) and falling off the roof while fixing the gutters (also kind of true, I was tossed off the balcony of the arena we wrestle in). I have a good full time job with great benefits, so these surgeries have never financially affected me.

Since she moved in she has expressed an interest in joining me for volunteer work. On the other side, I have tried to introduce her to pro wrestling since early in the relationship, and she dismisses it as childish, stupid, and dangerous.

I love this woman but I also love pro wrestling. I believe that if I went back to wrestling the Friday and Saturday shows, I could make enough income to really help us out. But I know she would never see things this way. I don't know what to do and all my wrestling friends tell me to pursue the business, of course. Nobody else knows about my double life.

seeing a little discrepancy w/r/t whether they're already married or not :raise:

and a bonus because it's short

quote:

I just clipped my toe nail and used it as a toothpick.

gross

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Wrasslin' goon, you should convince your girl to go to a show just to humor you one time. Then, when she's in the audience, get in the ring.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I would have said do some kinda speech about the two loves of your life finally being together, but ur a heel so, eeh, I dunno if you could make it work. As a face maybe the crowd being ultra supportive could help? Dunno man, don't dislocate your spine out there, good luck

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Wrestler goon, if this woman can't support your professional wrestling lifestyle you shouldn't marry her, your life will be nothing but misery

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
if you really think about it divorcing your wife in the ring would be the ultimate heel move

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Arrhythmia posted:

if you really think about it divorcing your wife in the ring would be the ultimate heel move

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Arrhythmia posted:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Arrhythmia posted:

my god

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

Oh yeah!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

LethalGeek posted:

There are a whole bunch of people living in small towns who only have been exposed to the pop culture version of whatever they are. And the pop culture version of gay is :gay:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
"And in the red corner! Weighing 275 lbs, the Goonchacho, who by the way, will not be giving away his balls bitch!"

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

There are a whole bunch of people living in small towns who only have been exposed to the pop culture version of whatever they are. And the pop culture version of gay is :gay:

People in small towns shouldn't talk to the rest of us as if they know what's up with anything.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

screenplay for nacho libre 2 lookin good

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

wrestlegoon, take your lady into the ring and solemnly promise her you're retiring

...just before you suplex her and pose triumphantly with one foot on her unconscious body just think of the heat you'll catch for it, you'll be bigger than Hollywood Hulk Hogan, brother :wcw:

On a less frivolous note, the only way out of this conundrum that I can see is the painful way: you will absolutely need to come clean about the double life, sooner rather than later. The longer you hesitate, the more corrosive your convenient untruths become to the trust that is the bedrock of a not-shitawful relationship. I think you need to rip off the metaphorical bandage, and let come what may, because even if she might warm up to your life as a performer she's probably not okay with all that and lying about it.

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have no problems with people's sexuality but totally get that guys complaint about not wanting to be "that gay guy"

There is a gay guy at work and he's a loving princess about everything. Nobody can stand him, and it has nothing to do with the fact he fucks dudes, it's all to do with his lovely personality and behaviour. He's basically that character Craig from the last few seasons of Parks and recreation. Super flamboyant, flies off the handle about poo poo all the time, treats people like garbage if they don't do what he wants them to. management is totally incapable of dealing with him because he immediately plays the discrimination card when ever anyone reports him, and they are trying too hard to be progressive to actually tell him his behaviour as a person in the workplace is unacceptable.

And yeah I know a friends friend who is a "normal dude" gay and he can't stand gay guys like that either. I didn't even realise he was gay for like a year because he seemed to dislike gay guys himself. Then I met his boyfriend at a wedding and he was just another "regular guy who is into guys" and both are chill as gently caress.

And yeah most people don't like being associated with the stereotypical negative of whatever group they are a part of is. I don't know why anyone is surprised by that.