Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/B_Liebhaber/status/805835899485483008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Can't afford to pay them a living wage and stay in business chum

e: Astros claim Ashur Tolliver off waivers, offseason: over

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 5, 2016

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Apparently Trumbo is seeking ~70-80M with a no trade clause. That seems...unlikely, to say the least.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

"A few more $"

I mean I know I've been bitching about how lackluster the Beltran/Reddick/McCann/Morton offseason has been, but you don't have to sign literally the best player at any position you fill

If Chapman gets that craaazy 5/$100M contract everyone's been lolling about, that would be $4.5M more AAV than Melancon got. And yeah a 5th year, but Chapman is 3 years younger. He was easily worth the extra money, IMO. Go big or go home.

Anyway. Melancon is fine and the Giants bullpen is gonna look a lot different next year. Casilla/Romo/Lopez were the core of that pen for like 7 years. I guess with MM as the closer, Derek Law becomes the setup guy and Strickland/Will Smith pitch the 7th based on matchups? And Okert is the LOOGY? I can live with that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So Harper is asking for 10/400?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

So Harper is asking for 10/400?

I feel like if his last year was like the year before no one would really bat an eye at this but now.... :/

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

Man I dunno. Melancon is fine, but if you're gonna pay for a premium closer, why not give a 5th year and a few more $ to the super-elite, all-time great reliever?

BTW can we all agree that Chapman is at least a top 10 all-time RP? Or has he not pitched long enough to compare fairly to guys like Mo, Wagner, Hoffman, Eck, etc.? It's tricky to compare across eras, Chapman's insane K rate isn't quite as impressive nowadays when every team has a dude who throws high 90s and strikes out a million batters, but on a per inning basis I think Aroldis stacks up well against any of those guys.

I'm pretty hesitant to call a guy who's only played 6 1/2 seasons top 10 anything. In terms of peak value he's probably up there or close, but he needs to keep it going for a while longer IMO.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/BiertempfelTrib/status/805866049845526529
Why question Cutch's leadership? From all accounts he's a good leader

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
So with the Jays signing of Pierce , retaining EE seems impossible. So far this offseason the jays have downgraded huge at LF, RF, DH and relief pitching. There biggest signing is Morales, a MLB'er who cant effectively play a single fielding positon, cant run, and had a lower WAR then any of the jays starting fielders last season.

Rogers you cheap fucks. Just because you got insanely lucky with getting Bautista and EE out of thin air into the best HR combo in the league for years, doesn't mean this kind of magic will happen by itself. Hell, you got Donaldson for some magic beans. SIGN REAL PLAYERS. gently caress.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Maybe Pearce can play a lot of outfield and Edwin can still come back :smith:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

patonthebach posted:

So with the Jays signing of Pierce , retaining EE seems impossible. So far this offseason the jays have downgraded huge at LF, RF, DH and relief pitching. There biggest signing is Morales, a MLB'er who cant effectively play a single fielding positon, cant run, and had a lower WAR then any of the jays starting fielders last season.

Rogers you cheap fucks. Just because you got insanely lucky with getting Bautista and EE out of thin air into the best HR combo in the league for years, doesn't mean this kind of magic will happen by itself. Hell, you got Donaldson for some magic beans. SIGN REAL PLAYERS. gently caress.

Pearce is better than whatever the jays had in LF last season.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

OTOH Chapman reportedly wants $100 million and I'd imagine Jansen is likewise going to cost around the $80-$100m range so the Giants practically got Melancon at a steal.

Hell, if that's "all" (notice the quotes) it took to get Melancon I wish we'd have gotten in on that sweet, sweet action.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Apparently the Jays might still have 30 million to spend. Trade for Eaton and sign Edwin you fucks.

Based on their signings so far, I dont believe that for a second. Rogers posturing out through their own media channels. Just like the "leak" that was never verified that Bautista wanted 5/150 that came out through Rogers media.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

I think Brian Dozier is going to be on another team by the end of the Winter Meetings. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this.
I know this is two pages back, but Dozier is 29 with two years of team control left and clearly just had a career year. You should be happy about selling high.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Pearce is better than whatever the jays had in LF last season.

He isnt going to be a starting outfielder though? We got Zeke "The Bat" Carerra as 1st in our depth chart.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Could Edwin play first base every day for an NL team or does he need to DH.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

The Pussy Boss posted:

In terms of defensive ability at least he's perfectly fine.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

NiceGuy posted:

Doesn't LA have like 8 starting pitchers at this point? Surely they're going to have to jettison some guys right?
This has been the case for the Dodgers heading into many recent seasons and they still end up having 6 of the 8 get hurt anyway.

I am happy they signed Rich Hill, he's awesome and I don't care if he only throws 90 IP a season. On a rate basis he's the best starting pitcher bargain one could hope for in free agency.

Jansen was gone when he didn't get extended a year ago. Turner will hopefully be back but it wouldn't surprise me if another not-really-contending team overspends on him like Arizona did with Greinke and Miami looks to with Jansen.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 5, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

I know this is two pages back, but Dozier is 29 with two years of team control left and clearly just had a career year. You should be happy about selling high.

Yeah but I really really like him

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
So far this offseason David Stearns seems to be questionable as a GM. He left Kirk Nieuwenhuis (who is terrible) on the roster despite having better guys in the majors or ready to come up at every position he can play, left some seriously endangered guys off the roster (we are probably going to lose Wei Chung Wang in the rule 5 draft), and non-tendered Christ Carter while signing Eric Thames (who is a worse Chris Carter). If you're going to sit in a holding pattern at the major league level, it seems weird to be pushing buttons and pulling levers to acquire different lovely players than the ones you already have while also keeping your talent that needs major league time blocked by holding onto guys who don't deserve a contract.

I really hope that Boy Genius David Stearns doesn't turn out to be one of those guys who just likes to make enigmatic moves for the sake of it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah but I really really like him
You're going to like Jose de Leon a lot too.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Apparently Chapman wants six years. Also he said that the Cubs don't seem interested in signing him.

V: :lol: on the first point, :woop: on the second.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

You're going to like Jose de Leon a lot too.

but...what if I don't?

Now you can see why I'm unsure how to feel.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

N: Apparently Chapman wants six years. Also he said that the Cubs don't seem interested in signing him.

Yeah, good luck on that, Chappy.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Sydin posted:

loving :laffo:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Chapman probably won't get six years (I say probably because who knows with free agency) but it doesn't surprise me he's starting off highballing teams. We see this every year.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

but...what if I don't?

Now you can see why I'm unsure how to feel.
He gets a lot of these things called Strike-Outs. I know Twins fans are unfamiliar with these from their pitchers lately but I promise you will enjoy them.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

He gets a lot of these things called Strike-Outs. I know Twins fans are unfamiliar with these from their pitchers lately but I promise you will enjoy them.

Come on man, Johan wasn't that long ag-

Oh jesus am I getting old

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sydin posted:

I am very much glad that Chapman will not be returning.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Johan hasn't been a Twin for a decade next year what the gently caress oh god

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Pussy Boss posted:

For a year or two sure but I wouldn't want him there every day in 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

"What do you mean you won't give us the top two prospects in your farm for two years of a 30 year old OF who's forgotten how to field his position and is coming off a career low year?!"

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Like Johnny Cueto, Melancon gets an opt-out after two years. Interesting.

https://twitter.com/AlexPavlovic/status/805906701841035264

Also, glad to hear this:

https://twitter.com/AlexPavlovic/status/805908641714999300

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/theScore/status/805888441150033920

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bye Dex! :sad:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Joe Nathan, thrower of 6 1/3 scoreless innings last year is drawing interest from a number of clubs.

DODGERS? MAYBE?

He was really good in 2006, this could be the lottery ticket they need to push them over the top.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Are the Cardinals going to make a move for a CF or ride Grichuk/Bader all year?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Mike_V posted:

Are the Cardinals going to make a move for a CF or ride Grichuk/Bader all year?

They're apparently in the running for Fowler according to Heyman. I don't think he'll end up there though. I feel like Carlos Gomez is more likely.

I don't have any sources on Gomez, it's a gut feeling and seems like something the Cardinals would do. After which he goes on to hit like it's 3 years ago.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the Cardinals will poof a CF out of nowhere, and he will be an All-Star player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I really hope that Boy Genius David Stearns doesn't turn out to be one of those guys who just likes to make enigmatic moves for the sake of it.

What else should he be doing besides making enigmatic moves at this point? Chris Carter was rumored to get 10 million in arb. So that means one more year with an untradeable contract. Instead they went with the mystery Korean box who could be a much better all around player than Carter. Thames contract is also structured so if he sucks he would still be fine as a super sub bench hitter.

Kirk is a backup outfielder. You don't use legit prospects as your 5th outfielder. Besides LF will be open if Braun is traded to LA or whomever. That is the real judgment for the offseason. Otherwise I would just expect retread projects to see if just needed a second chance.

Like Villar, Guerra, Broxton, Perez etc.

• Locked thread