Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

PirateDentist posted:

Airbrushes are tricky. I recently got a lot happier using mine once I finally got a decent method down for cleaning it. Just throwing it in the ultrasonic bath didn't do great. I got a set of cleaning brushes, they look like tiny bottle brushes, and that did vastly more for clearing out paint and crap from all the nooks and crannies. These specifically, they're cheap and def. won't last forever, but I've got one their stores a mile away. Amazon has others like it.

Another part was figuring out how to thin the paint properly. Now I've gotten okay at it. If it's too thick it jams the bastard up and I can't do anything.

I use interdental brushes to clean my airbrush. It's not this brand, but as long as you can find some that are long enough, they work like a charm: http://www.tepe.com/ie/products/interdental-brushes/how-to-use/
Dip them in isopropyl alcohol and go to town.
I've used airbrush cleaning brushes before, but they started fraying pretty quickly. Interdental brushes last me 6 months per brush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I painted/put together Badai's First Order Tie Fighter this week. It's crazy how well the parts fit together.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Bandai gets some weird hate from modelers, but their kits are insanely good when it comes to parts fit.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The base could be prettier. I get that its flying over Jakku but if you wanted something a little better looking without mods I'd think the hanger would have looked better and youd have a better reason/look to the arm thats holding it up. Model is cool though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

The base could be prettier. I get that its flying over Jakku but if you wanted something a little better looking without mods I'd think the hanger would have looked better and youd have a better reason/look to the arm thats holding it up. Model is cool though.

Agreed. I haven't glued the base on to the model, and I'd really like a hangar type look more. Just not sure what to use or build as a base to get that look yet.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If you've got any old kits you don't plan to build, you could always go the traditional Star Wars kitbash route and glue a bunch of greebly parts to a piece of painted wood to create a techy surface.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

SkunkDuster posted:

I picked up some 3/8" steel bearings to use as paint agitators in larger (4+ ounce) bottles of paint and primer. They work great in the plastic Alclad primer bottles, but I found out the hard way not to use them in the glass bottles. A brand new bottle of white primer down the drain (and that was my only bottle of white :( )

Hahaha you have my chair! I've had a set of those in my dining room since the 1990s.

I knew they were long past their prime when I found a worn out set dumped at the curb a couple of years ago. :smith:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

Hahaha you have my chair! I've had a set of those in my dining room since the 1990s.

I knew they were long past their prime when I found a worn out set dumped at the curb a couple of years ago. :smith:

Haha holy poo poo I didn't even realize but thats our dining chairs too. Gloss black painted metal backs right?

We still actually have them though; being the DIY packeats we are, we sew new pads and patterns onto them and kept them around.

Maybe they put a secret model chemtrail in those chairs :tinfoil:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If you do make a hangar, remember that TIE panels can't support the weight of the cockpit and they need to be hung from racks. :v:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I believe both Bandai and Kotobukiya sell hangar displays if you want an explicitly scifi one, but its not hard to make one from Styrene (and it would fit with Star Wars aesthetic).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

If you do make a hangar, remember that TIE panels can't support the weight of the cockpit and they need to be hung from racks. :v:

Not true, they land at airfields on them all the time.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Behold: a terrible picture of the finished wheels for the C10. Still deciding on whether or not to do valve stems. Might throw one in to see how it looks and go from there.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Got the canopy of the F14 working (mostly, it still likes to jam a bit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBauKQOX-Xg

Also started to make a chair for my Stuka pilot

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Newbie modeler. What do I apply before decals and what is the recommended brand?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Base coat, gloss coat, decals, gloss coat, then weathering/filters/washes/etc. I've had good luck with Tamiya rattle cans for the gloss (their flat isn't that great though).

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm just going to leave this here: 1/48 XB-70.

(Too bad it is priced like a Warhammer accessory.)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm just going to leave this here: 1/48 XB-70.

(Too bad it is priced like a Warhammer accessory.)

How on earth is it 600 dollars but the 1/48 b-1b is somehow under $100

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
And resin to boot. Yuck.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know how to casting. What did I do wrong? Using milliput. The flaws seem entirely to be in the casting not the mold.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Milliput casting is tough. You basically need to just keep packing it into the mould until you're sure it's full and then keep on packing. Even then, you're not really going to get perfect results.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's not a 2 part mold, would I have better results just pouring some plaster of paris in there?
This blue stuff is awesome, it's just the casting that's hard. I watched a youtube of a guy making warhams with it and he used some sort of 2-part epoxy clay very much like miliput and got great results. Should I try something like green stuff?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Did you use any sort of release agent?

You might have better luck also using something like Hydrocal. Plaster of Paris is similar, but will be a bit heaver than a lightweight hydrocal.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Is blue stuff silicon? If so I'd just grab a two part themoset polystyrene set.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

It's not a 2 part mold, would I have better results just pouring some plaster of paris in there?
This blue stuff is awesome, it's just the casting that's hard. I watched a youtube of a guy making warhams with it and he used some sort of 2-part epoxy clay very much like miliput and got great results. Should I try something like green stuff?

I think what you're talking about and it looks pretty awesome. I don't have any experience with Miliput, but Green Stuff should work just fine for it.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Is blue stuff silicon? If so I'd just grab a two part themoset polystyrene set.

It's a weird thermoplastic by the same company as Green Stuff. You heat it up to make it malleable, push the piece into it (like mold putty), then let it cool down to harden. What makes it great is that its entirely reusable for different moldings, which is great because:

1. Mold Putty sucks because of how easy it is to get a flawed mold compared to liquid silicone molds

2. A huge barrier for consumer-common casting is that most people only need a specific mold for one good casting, which often isn't worth the effort in silicone/resin fuckery.

Right now the only reliable way to get it seems to be through the GREENSTUFFWORLD ebay shop though, so its not too well known yet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Did you use any sort of release agent?

You might have better luck also using something like Hydrocal. Plaster of Paris is similar, but will be a bit heaver than a lightweight hydrocal.
This. Dunno why I didn't think of the release agent, since that's kind of a big deal. Even just brushing vaseline into the mould will do the job.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

All the tutorials raved about how you don't need a release agent with the stuff. It all came out pretty easy really, just a poo poo casting.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yeah, I cast in resin without release agent all the time. But I've never attempted to cast in milliput, that sounds extremely difficult. See if you can pick up some polyurethane casting resin.

My amateur casting method is usually to make single piece molds out of silicone, and then just pour polyurethane resin in the mold, like this type of resin:

https://sylmasta.com/catalogue/product/polycast-g27lv-low-viscosity-polyurethane-casting-resin-2kg/

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 6, 2016

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
If you've got a good mold, I will echo the other guys here and suggest that you seriously consider picking up some resin. It's turbo easy to use. I use this stuff: http://www.alumilite.com/store/p/1022-Alumilite-Regular-Tan.aspx. I've cast a few transmissions for scale models and the process is super simple and the detail is fantastic. Had to make a few parts for the big project, too.

Needed more of these:

Made a mold (didn't come out super great because of some serious undercuts):

Mix equal parts of the resin and pour:

This part was pretty small so it set in about 7 or 8 minutes I believe. You can see it even picked up some of the fingerprints I'd left in the clay when I made the mold.

A little cleanup with the Dremel and it's ready.

Since your mold is basically a big box from what I can see, I think this would easy as piss to cast.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Since your mold is basically a big box from what I can see, I think this would easy as piss to cast.

yeah, "boxy thing with no undercut" is a dream shape for casting.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
One thing of note: its pretty easy for a cast to end up with air bubbles, even with dope undercuts. This wont be a big deal for you since they are pretty small and easy to fill in, just something to keep in mind if you experiment with say, clear resin windshields.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've got a bunch of smooth-on resin poo poo, I'll try that. I was just hoping to get away from poured nasty chemical poo poo.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I've got a bunch of smooth-on resin poo poo, I'll try that. I was just hoping to get away from poured nasty chemical poo poo.

Then you should deffo check out the blue stuff. It's like 10bux for four sticks, and at your scale + reusable that should be enough.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Neurolimal posted:

Then you should deffo check out the blue stuff. It's like 10bux for four sticks, and at your scale + reusable that should be enough.

Check the big blue lump in the corner of the picture, that's the blue stuff. The blue stuff seems to work fantastic, it's casting inside the blue stuff that I'm having trouble with :(

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Check the big blue lump in the corner of the picture, that's the blue stuff. The blue stuff seems to work fantastic, it's casting inside the blue stuff that I'm having trouble with :(

Ah. Yeah, I've no experience with millilput, but if I'm thinking of the same vid as you he used epoxy putty/green stuff.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Has anybody built a Modelcollect?

They seem to have a range of stuff in 1/72 (like the T-64) that I am intrigued by

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Mr E posted:

I painted/put together Badai's First Order Tie Fighter this week. It's crazy how well the parts fit together.

That looks great, dang.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
After a year's hiatus, I finally put together another one of those Metal Earth kits. This AT-AT took me about four and a half hours to build:

Bonus shot of our cat battling with the Empire:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Van Dis posted:

That looks great, dang.

Thanks! :) I love doing those little metal models too, they're good to put on my desk at work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Van Dis posted:

That looks great, dang.

Bandai's Star Wars kits are amazing, but goddamn hard to import for a decent price now because they're only meant to have a Japanese license and Revell sobbed to Papa Disney about them making far and away better kits or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Bandai's Star Wars kits are amazing, but goddamn hard to import for a decent price now because they're only meant to have a Japanese license and Revell sobbed to Papa Disney about them making far and away better kits or something.

Bandai is going to have a distributor in the states next year I think.