Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

"Timelash starts in 5 minutes, if you like."

Upon gaining my inevitable cosmic might I will be locking the lot of you in a theater where you will be forced to watch Timelash until you agree with me that it is indeed a brilliant classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rhyno posted:

Upon gaining my inevitable cosmic might I will be locking the lot of you in a theater where you will be forced to watch Timelash until you agree with me that it is indeed a brilliant classic.

The Lot of Us: So.... how long are we in here again?
Rhyno: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Q7b-vHY3Q

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rhyno posted:

"It's ok guys, I've got my phone, a charger, and the Big Finish app. Chimes of Midnight anyone? It wouldn't be Christmas without it!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Aw man, 2016 keeps taking. Adric died.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Aw man, 2016 keeps taking. Adric died.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Payndz posted:

Is Ian Levine inside?

CobiWann posted:

"This popcorn is making me SICK TO MY STOMACH!"

The_Doctor posted:

I love you all :allears:

PHUCKERS!!!!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bra-loving-VO.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

:lol: at everything on the past two pages

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
DWSS is always a bit of an adventure and this year is no different. After some exchange rate and retailer research, Santee, your present is on the way!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hahaha, awesome.

But also sad :smith:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Weekend sale on Gallifrey. I'm honestly gonna pass on it...I don't want to be missing the first three series' from my library.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Weekend sale on Gallifrey. I'm honestly gonna pass on it...I don't want to be missing the first three series' from my library.

I decided to grab the two more recent sets because my understanding is that they're fairly standalone from the previous stuff and Celestial Intervention Agency operative Ace is a bit of an irresistible hook to me.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

jivjov posted:

Weekend sale on Gallifrey.

Is that in Ireland?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Is that in Ireland?

Nah, its one of those new little countries...Kasterborous or something like that.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

jivjov posted:

Nah, its one of those new little countries...Kasterborous or something like that.

Gallifrexit?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Just realized that CW "Legends of Tomorrow" actually has TWO former companions to the Doctor in it. Arthur Darvill everyone knows about, but 7's former companion Pvt Sally Morgan, played by Amy Pemberton, voices the ship's computer, Gideon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
:siren:Heads up for US folks:siren:

Barnes and Noble has all British TV DVDs on sale for 50% off til 12/12. That includes recent revival releases and the 2nd Doc stuff from last year. Good time to stock up for yourself or your Santee. Dunno if the sale is also online, I was in-store.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I have sent my Santee his or her package. Expect it December 7th.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Started binge watching with the reboot via amazon prime. Over the last week we got to the end (we thought) of s7 and realized not a lot was making sense. The last Tennant episode we saw was the christmas one with the Governor as the "fake" doctor and giant cyberman. Then the very next episode was smith climbong out of the tardis and meeting Amy. We assumed that Tennant simply retired and wasnt killed?

We loved all of the pond episodes (most tear jerking) even though we got sick of rehashed dalec and cybermen. Near the end there was the big battle where smith gathers previous foes to help get Amy's baby back, but got a little confused by motivation of these semi-foes and perhaps missed an episode where they bonded or something. Nevertheless still enjoyed.

Then came Clara. My wife noticed there were only 8 episodes to the season and I thought perhaps the bbc changed the format to 8 eps per season. Well I seem to have been quite wrong, and when episodes with the lesbian lizard human with the short ex-warrior butler started up I got completely lost. Especially when in some episodes humans didnt blink an eye at them, while in others fainted at the sight of them.

So yeah, amazon prime seems to have misplaced some large chunks of content.

Smith saves Clara after she jumps into his raw timeline thingie to save him and they jumped right over to the new old guy doctor coming out of the tardis with Clara. Then the phone call from Smith... :psyduck:

So confused. We stopped after the s8 premeir and want to get this all straightened out before we move on.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That Tennant episode you saw was the first of 5 "special" episodes that served as season 4.5. You missed 4 episodes in there, including the regeneration into Smith

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

So confused. We stopped after the s8 premeir and want to get this all straightened out before we move on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials

It sounds like Amazon don't have any of the Specials, just the regular series. Which will make things confusing because Tennant and Smith both regenerate in Specials.

In particular, you've missed:

Planet of the Dead
Waters of Mars
The End of Time (end of Tennant)

Day of the Doctor (end of Smith).

Although I don't particularly like any of them so you're not missing out that much :v:

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 5, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Time of the Doctor is the end of the Smith run?

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Fog Tripper posted:

We loved all of the pond episodes (most tear jerking) even though we got sick of rehashed dalec and cybermen. Near the end there was the big battle where smith gathers previous foes to help get Amy's baby back, but got a little confused by motivation of these semi-foes and perhaps missed an episode where they bonded or something. Nevertheless still enjoyed.

Then came Clara. My wife noticed there were only 8 episodes to the season and I thought perhaps the bbc changed the format to 8 eps per season. Well I seem to have been quite wrong, and when episodes with the lesbian lizard human with the short ex-warrior butler started up I got completely lost. Especially when in some episodes humans didnt blink an eye at them, while in others fainted at the sight of them.

Don't feel too bad, I watched all those episodes and still feel confused. Vastra and Co. are introduced pretty unceremoniously and the less said about all the Kovarian stuff with Amy's baby, the better.

As for Amazon, it's kind of a mess. You know how Netflix has their shows organized by show and season in reasonable way? Amazon tosses that out of the window, at least for Doctor Who. For some reason they decided to sort all of the Christmas Specials into their own sets that aren't in the show's playlist. This means that if you just let autoplay take you to the next season, it'll skip the specials. I figured this out when I missed the one with the Great Intelligence that properly introduced Clara to the series. I am pretty sure it does this with the 50th Anniversary special as well.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Time of the Doctor is the end of the Smith run?

Yeah that one

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

LordZoric posted:

You know how Netflix has their shows organized by show and season in reasonable way?

Now, yes. Netflix used to have the Specials listed as their own thing for a while.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Sorting a list by a date field is hard guys. Give the billion dollar tech companies a break.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

LordZoric posted:

Don't feel too bad, I watched all those episodes and still feel confused. Vastra and Co. are introduced pretty unceremoniously and the less said about all the Kovarian stuff with Amy's baby, the better.

As for Amazon, it's kind of a mess. You know how Netflix has their shows organized by show and season in reasonable way? Amazon tosses that out of the window, at least for Doctor Who. For some reason they decided to sort all of the Christmas Specials into their own sets that aren't in the show's playlist. This means that if you just let autoplay take you to the next season, it'll skip the specials. I figured this out when I missed the one with the Great Intelligence that properly introduced Clara to the series. I am pretty sure it does this with the 50th Anniversary special as well.

Yeah, they're all sorted under Season 0, except some are also sorted under different Season 0's. It's why Netflix is good. They sort that stuff for you. You can't take these things for granted.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And More posted:

It's why Netflix is good. They sort that stuff for you.

Well, sometimes

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well, sometimes

This is true. They had a couple of episodes of Farscape out of order when it was first on there that led to some confusion.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

MrL_JaKiri posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_serials

It sounds like Amazon don't have any of the Specials, just the regular series. Which will make things confusing because Tennant and Smith both regenerate in Specials.

In particular, you've missed:

Planet of the Dead
Waters of Mars
The End of Time (end of Tennant)

Day of the Doctor (end of Smith).

Although I don't particularly like any of them so you're not missing out that much :v:

The last Smith one I viewed had the preview at the end for the 50th anniversary ep that was missing as well.

LordZoric posted:

I figured this out when I missed the one with the Great Intelligence that properly introduced Clara to the series. I am pretty sure it does this with the 50th Anniversary special as well.

The Asylum of the dalec one wasn't Clara's intro?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He said "properly." The Doctor never finds out what Clara even looks like in Asylum.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Rhyno posted:

He said "properly." The Doctor never finds out what Clara even looks like in Asylum.

Yeah he does. She's short, bright eyed and moves gracefully across the floor.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah he does. She's short, bright eyed and moves gracefully across the floor.

Too soon.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Day of the Doctor (Smith's penultimate story) is amazing so make sure you catch up on that one!

Edit: Also on a tangential note, I hope people are checking out The Crown, which co-stars Matt Smith as Prince Philip and is very, very good. Who knew the British would be good at period drama about the aristocracy!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Good news. It appears Power of the Daleks isn't going to be a Barnes & Noble exclusive. It's available on Amazon for pre-order. Love that cover too!

https://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Power-Daleks/dp/B01LTHYIAU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480977224&sr=8-1&keywords=power+of+the+daleks

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah that cover is pretty drat sweet.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah that cover is pretty drat sweet.

It really is.

Seriously, why is the European cover so goddamn ugly?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well it's reversible, so you can have it match with all the others.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Oh drat, I'm working during the hours the Post Office is open, I'm sure my santee won't my if I enjoy their present in the meantime... :getin:

(It's pretty drat cool, IMO)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Davros1 posted:

Good news. It appears Power of the Daleks isn't going to be a Barnes & Noble exclusive. It's available on Amazon for pre-order. Love that cover too!

https://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Power-Daleks/dp/B01LTHYIAU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480977224&sr=8-1&keywords=power+of+the+daleks

Not seen in 50 years?

Then what did I just see in the theater?

• Locked thread