Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
There's also this guy.

I'm trying to get a prototype out of him, I'll let you know how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

:argh: *smashes keyboard*

10mm is really really wide, though. I don't know what system you're shooting but the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 is a cheap-and-cheerful lens that stays cheap by dropping most of the bells and whistles (like autofocus) for a lens that doesn't need that (everything is in focus with an ultrawide); that also saves on weight. I don't have one, I've never used one, but they have a good reputation for a new lens that costs less than $400. It might show up under different names, like Rokinon or Bower or something else, it should be all the same stuff. B&H sells it in half a dozen different mounts, you should be able to find one for your camera.

I played around with one of these at the camera store. It is sharp pretty much across the frame, which is impressive given the focal length and the fact that it's not a fisheye. But it has a complex distortion pattern. It's not a fisheye, but you have to playing a little faster and looser than normal with the definition, to call it rectilinear. Plenty of non-fisheye lens have distortion, but it's usually easy enough to correct because it's either uniformly bulging or concave. The wavy mustache distortion of this lens makes it less than ideal for any kind of scene that features straight lines, because afaik there's no simple way to correct it in post.

Edit: e.g. this terribly mis focused shot. Trying to do manual focus on a 5D2 in low light is hard, especially when you're in a hurry and don't care.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 31, 2016

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Lightroom has a lens correction profile for the Samyang 14mm 2.8 -- if you send that to me as a RAW file I'll run it through and see if it fixes it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Trying to do manual focus on a 5D2 in low light is hard, especially when you're in a hurry and don't care.

You really need a focus aid to manual focus accurately. You can get replacement split-prism screens on eBay for like $15 if your camera accepts them. They gently caress with the exposure on Canon though, since Canon has a patented protocol for their electronic aperture and Samyang said "gently caress that poo poo" and made you manually stop down (which darkens the prism and throws off the exposure).

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I just bought a Sigma 17-70 Contemporary for $210 on ebay.

It has no hood or caps.

What are the odds that this thing falls to pieces the moment I open the package?

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Thoren posted:

I just bought a Sigma 17-70 Contemporary for $210 on ebay.

It has no hood or caps.

What are the odds that this thing falls to pieces the moment I open the package?

Notwithstanding any damage to the lens, low. The Sigma Global Vision lenses are genuinely good for construction. The pre-Global Vision lenses are generally okay but there are more bad apples than I'd like to remember.

These days the biggest fuckup they have is once and awhile they release a lens that isn't very good optically to the standards they normally produce (e.g. 30mm APS-C Art). But then they have epic lenses that outshine even their other otherwise great lineup (35mm FF Art).

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Hello friends, I am looking to replace my T1i with a newer camera.

Want:
- Exceptional low light and portrait performance
- A great nifty fifty (these are cheap so I'm open to jumping to Nikon)
- Optical viewfinder

Would be nice:
- Wireless transfer to PC
- Intuitive controls

Don't care about:
- Video
- Tilting screen
- Touch screen
- Fancy pro lenses (kit and 50 are pretty much all I use)
- GPS

Budget: $400-600. I'm ok with factory reconditioned models. I see the D3300 recommended at this price point nearly across the board but I'm not sure if it meets my needs.

Thank you for any advice!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The D3400 is a newer D3300 with Bluetooth but has a weaker flash and loses the ultrasonic sensor cleaner. Decide if that's an okay tradeoff for you. The bundled kit lens is also newer and quieter. Personally I would just pick the D3300, I don't want to clean my sensors myself.

There's also the Pentax K-S2, which has WiFi and a better viewfinder, but is at the top of your price range.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Factory reconditioned 70Ds should be at around that point, I think brand new ones are down to about $650 or so since the 80D came out.

You can keep your existing Canon glass and use the cheap as hell nifty-fifty. Will happily shoot at ISO6400 with very little noise even if you don't fix it in post. Ergonomics are about the same as your T1i except that there's an additional LCD screen on the top to see your settings.

It does have wireless on board and it works fine but it's not a good UX. You can however pull photos SOOC without a cable to your smartphone, tablet or computer if you're prepared to jump through a few minor hoops first.

It has an articulated touch screen which you don't care about but I am pretty sure you will care about it once you've used it. No matter what you are shooting, this makes things easier in so many ways.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A bunch of PNY flash memory is in today's Amazon Gold Box. No CF cards but christ are SD cards getting cheap these days.

32GB for $10, 64GB for $17, 128GB for $33, 256GB for $68, and 512GB for $200.

E: There's a 480GB portable SSD in there too

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Helen Highwater posted:

Factory reconditioned 70Ds should be at around that point, I think brand new ones are down to about $650 or so since the 80D came out.
Thanks! The 70D are still about $850-900 though. Was also maybe hoping to score a good deal on a K-70 but they seem to be holding very steady at $900.

I found a nice price on a D3300 refurb at B&H so I can get a 50mm nikkor as well and stay in budget.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
The 50mm Nikkor won't autofocus on a D3xxx body unless it's AF-S. regular AF needs a body with an autofocus screw (d7xxx or better)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, I never noticed that before. I thought my Tokina 11-16mm was the only lens in my bag that needed the screw drive. Always useful to know.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

BANME.sh posted:

The 50mm Nikkor won't autofocus on a D3xxx body unless it's AF-S. regular AF needs a body with an autofocus screw (d7xxx or better)
Thank you for the heads up, I removed it from my order and I'll hunt around for an AF-S 50 or 35 instead.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Syrinxx posted:

Thank you for the heads up, I removed it from my order and I'll hunt around for an AF-S 50 or 35 instead.

If you can squeeze it into your budget I'd suggest the AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G instead of the 50mm or 35mm. The 40mm is one of the sharpest lenses I ever had the pleasure to shoot with and it gives you the option to get really up close if you want to.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Ok, so I done gone and broke my right arm, and all of a sudden I'm realising how bad south paws have it. I have an a7rii and I reckon with the right bracket or something I might have a hope of at least using it in auto. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could buy or make to use a camera left handed only?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Jimlad posted:

Ok, so I done gone and broke my right arm, and all of a sudden I'm realising how bad south paws have it. I have an a7rii and I reckon with the right bracket or something I might have a hope of at least using it in auto. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could buy or make to use a camera left handed only?

A tripod?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If you have access to both hands, you should be able to use a normal dslr as a left hand person??

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Jimlad posted:

I am left handed but have always used a computer mice and cameras with my right hand. Being left handed doesn't mean the right arm is dangling by your side 24/7 like it seems your left arm normally is.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I have no answer for you Jimlad. Just chiming in as someone who has broken his arm multiple times. If he's in a cast and he just broke his arm. He likely has severely limited use of his right hand. If he's in a 3/4 cast then his elbow is stuck at a 90 degree angle and probably can't get to the point where you'd normally hold a camera to your face.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Yeah pretty much this, I started "left handed only" but I guess it wasn't clear enough that there's no way I can use my right hand for anything other than shooting from the hip all the time and hoping for the best - even then I'd have to use my thumb on the shutter release.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I have a friend who is a skydiver/photographer (not video) and he takes photos with a "remote" that he has in his mouth. When he bites the remote the camera takes a photo. He manages to take photos with NO hands.
Im not saying you need to put a remote in your mouth but how about holding a remote in your right hand and holding the camera with your left hand as you would normally hold it with your left hand, i.e. cradling the lens.

The Canon RC-6 is a very tiny remote.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 11, 2016

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
When my friend dislocated his right shoulder and wasnt allowed to use it, he used a battery grip left handed and shot upside down. He did a wedding like that too.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Use a shutter release cable with your left hand.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mount the camera on your chest like the apollo dudes did on the moon. Wear a space helmet and tell people you're working on a "live like an astronaut" project.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Attach a smartphone stylus to your forehead and use live view and the touchscreen for everything.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

underage at the vape shop posted:

When my friend dislocated his right shoulder and wasnt allowed to use it, he used a battery grip left handed and shot upside down. He did a wedding like that too.
This came up in a thread here (might have been this one) a few years ago. Somebody was asking about a friend who was an amputee - no right arm at all. I thought of the battery grip thing and tried it - it's not too bad once you get used to it.

Left-handed DSLR use portrait mode by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Left-handed DSLR use upsidedown landscape by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Keep in mind I'm shooting into my bathroom mirror.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah its not the comfiest looking but perfectly usable, until your arm heals

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Thanks guys, some genuinely great ideas. Going to try the upside down camera grip one and the remote release, both seem like pretty good options. I'm wondering if I might even be able to use manual focus lenses with the latter!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I only use my lovely remote release with my lens on manual, since mine is so cheap and lovely it hates to autofocus, so yeah that should work fine.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Anyone have experience with these lenses and have a favorite between the two?

- Tokina AF 12-24mm f/4

- Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Speaking of, are the current Tokina and Pentax 12-24/4s pretty much the same lens?

I've been looking into the Pentax lens because a co-worker asked me for advice on a new DSLR. My default recommendation right now for a consumer hobby DSLR body (they won't countenance mirrorless) that comes in under $1K is the D7200 (or D7100 if they want something cheaper). I do think that, for someone who doesn't want to mess around with white balance and tweaking color in RAW, Canon has it's place - especially for people who want the best skin color rendition out of the box. But co-worker says she is primarily looking to upgrade for better low light performance and wants something rugged for taking on vacation so there you go.

Then I kind of did a double take when she mentioned that she was looking at Pentax, too. I have this notion for some reason that all but the most basic range of Pentax lenses are more expensive than their Canon/Nikon equivalents, and maybe that's true, but this person wants to do a lot of wide angle shooting and I saw that the Pentax 12-24 actually seemed to have pretty good reviews and was affordably priced. But looking around some more I have noticed a few people saying it's the same as the Tokina... There's nothing wrong with that in and of itself, of course. I just still wonder if Pentax lenses are really a good value otherwise.

I'm starting to wonder if this person wouldn't benefit more from the Pentax body, too. With the 7200, a big chunk of what you pay for is the advanced AF system, and that doesn't seem like something that she really wants. Meanwhile the Pentax K-3 ii seems to have a pretty good load out of features for travel and general photography, and it's $200-300 less than the D7200, from what I've seen.

TLDR: I told someone that Nikon has the best prosumer crop body DSLR system right now, but is the Pentax K-3 maybe a better value for non-action hobby photography?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Maybe she should get the Fuji X70 instead, but I'm not sure if it's under $1k.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
I'm planning a trip to the Philippines in January and I'm determined to go carry-on only. How dumb of an idea is it to go with a Canon A-1 or AE-1 and an Olympus Stylus Infinity (and a pile of Porta) as my only real cameras? I have a Nexus 5x so I'm at least in "pretty good for a phone camera" territory. I could bring my X-E1 instead of the Canon but that means I have to bring the charger too plus worry a little more about theft.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

People on the internet seem to love taking film cameras to SE Asia and posting travelogues. As long as your film doesn't get destroyed by x-rays in the airport you should be good to go? Only you can decide if film is the look you want to go for. As much as the Fuji digicams have filmic looks, there's still a world of difference between them and real film

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Stay away from
- New York City
- Finland
- Australia / Antarctica

and you'll be fine!

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

People on the internet seem to love taking film cameras to SE Asia and posting travelogues. As long as your film doesn't get destroyed by x-rays in the airport you should be good to go? Only you can decide if film is the look you want to go for. As much as the Fuji digicams have filmic looks, there's still a world of difference between them and real film

Eh, "look" isn't so much a concern as practicality. Both the Fuji and the Canons are about the same size. Film vs. charger is probably a wash as far as weight and packing space. I don't plan to bring any kind of tablet or laptop or whatever besides my phone so digital backup isn't really a factor. I didn't run into any problems in Germany with my Fuji battery charger and a straight outlet adapter but I don't actually know anything about electrical what have you in the Philippines.

ExecuDork posted:

Stay away from
- New York City
- Finland
- Australia / Antarctica

and you'll be fine!

:haw: I actually intend to use it though so I'm assuming a clicking shutter will keep it safe from drunken Aussie tourists that might want to claim it for their hoard.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If you don't have Dropbox Pro, signing up for a 1TB 1-year subscription through amazon ($100) nets you a $50 amazon gift card today. Sounds like this is only for new subscriptions though.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
When I travel somewhere interesting, I average about 200 photos / day.

No way could I go back to those rolls of 36 exposures. I'd be looking at 50+rolls of film for a week's holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

spog posted:

When I travel somewhere interesting, I average about 200 photos / day.

No way could I go back to those rolls of 36 exposures. I'd be looking at 50+rolls of film for a week's holiday.

Everyone is different though, 36 exposures is way too much, even 12 shots on 120 film is too much. I only shot like 24 rolls of 120 for 3 weeks of vacation and that was not being strict on what I shot.