Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vehementi posted:

Why did Arnold need to kill all the hosts in Dolores's massacre? I assumed it was maybe he needed to push an update to all of them or something when they went in for repairs (like an earlier episode did). What was it? The "Arnold voice" update? How did Ford "stop the plan"? I see a guess that it was an attempt to slow down opening of the park - do we have more info? If Arnold was trying to destroy the robots to delay it, is this just Dumb Writers because they didn't kill any hosts, they caused damage to the robots' bodies that they are programmed to respond with by playing dead until someone with an iPad pushes the "ok get back up" button?

Arnold was trying to get the park shut down because he realized it was hell for the robots and the robots were alive.

Killing all the machines and forcing your partner to start over from scratch with little money and no current investors, after a huge scandal where people were actually killed, was supposed to convince Ford to never open Westworld in the first place. Other employees would probably all be scared away as well, making it even more likely for Ford to just throw in the towel.

Plus there's Ford's whole "Arnold wasn't the type to have accidents, he was too careful for that." It was meant to be a message to Ford from Arnold that was so strong that Ford couldn't ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong about anything here:

Why was there a new narrative at all? What did that add? Was the entire months of narrative development, park upheaval etc. that caused the board to have no confidence in him in the first place just to make a gala for them to all get shot in? Or Ford just likes poetry (like how he made Bernard shoot himself)?

Think of the park as like an MMO, the new narrative was basically like an expansion or DLC. Something that can be sold to pump up interest and give them something to advertise. Of course the new narrative wasn't actually journey to sea for a dying dolores, but robot uprising.

Vehementi posted:

Why did Arnold need to kill all the hosts in Dolores's massacre? I assumed it was maybe he needed to push an update to all of them or something when they went in for repairs (like an earlier episode did). What was it? The "Arnold voice" update? How did Ford "stop the plan"? I see a guess that it was an attempt to slow down opening of the park - do we have more info? If Arnold was trying to destroy the robots to delay it, is this just Dumb Writers because they didn't kill any hosts, they caused damage to the robots' bodies that they are programmed to respond with by playing dead until someone with an iPad pushes the "ok get back up" button?

At the point where Arnold did that, the park wasn't open yet. He thought that he could cause enough damage and cause that it would be financially impossible to rebuild, since they hadn't developed the tech or systems to do it quickly. He also probably hoped that hosts killing a human would also be enough to give investors cold feet.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

MechaSeinfeld posted:

... They should introduce a Williambot.

They did. It's Teddy ...

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

quote:

Is this some kind of meta-post, making fun of the people who don't get it? I'm getting Poe's Law'd so hard here

I get it, enough that the physical maze object doesn't actually mean anything. Are you telling me they're programmed to search for the maze object? That they need to scalp each other to get consciousness? That each robot will have to individually go all around the park on a treasure hunt to find the wooden toy in order to achieve consciousness? (Will they get multiple instances?)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Glumslinger posted:

Think of the park as like an MMO, the new narrative was basically like an expansion or DLC. Something that can be sold to pump up interest and give them something to advertise. Of course the new narrative wasn't actually journey to sea for a dying dolores, but robot uprising.

Yeah but it was't really DLC because who would get pumped up about a robot uprising, if its a real uprising? That'd scare everybody away. The DLC was the cover story, the reality was Ford was planning on killing everybody and came up with a way to make it go down like one of his stories.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but it was't really DLC because who would get pumped up about a robot uprising, if its a real uprising? That'd scare everybody away. The DLC was the cover story, the reality was Ford was planning on killing everybody and came up with a way to make it go down like one of his stories.

William seemed pretty excited and he was the majority shareholder :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Braincloud posted:

They did. It's Teddy ...

Except Teddy already existed.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I think it'll be called ShogunWorld since there were formal regions called Shogunates. SamuraiWorld would be like calling WestWorld something like SheriffWorld.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Watching this finale now and goddamn are these the most incompetent corporate security dudes ever. Don't check blind spots, stand there and let one guy shoot three of yours down without firing back once, these guys give hired goons a bad name.

Is corporate security particularly good or is this like compared to shadowrun?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Vehementi posted:

I get it, enough that the physical maze object doesn't actually mean anything. Are you telling me they're programmed to search for the maze object? That they need to scalp each other to get consciousness? That each robot will have to individually go all around the park on a treasure hunt to find the wooden toy in order to achieve consciousness? (Will they get multiple instances?)

The maze is symbolic. There's no treasure hunt. A good analogy is found in this section from Helen Keller's autobiography.

quote:

Helen Keller’s world fell dark and silent when she was just 19 months old, when an unknown disease left her deaf and blind. She became an unruly child who often lashed out in anger at her inability to communicate and her failure to comprehend the world around her. When Helen tipped over her sister’s crib one day, her parents knew they needed to find help.

With the assistance of Alexander Graham Bell, the Kellers were able to engage Anne Sullivan, a teacher at the Perkins School for the Blind in Boston, to tutor their daughter at their Alabama plantation. Sullivan helped Helen gain self-control and then began teaching her using a technique first employed by Perkins tutor Samuel Gridley Howe to teach deaf-blind girl Laura Bridgman to read.

Sullivan spelled words into Helen’s hand and tried to help the girl connect letters and words with objects’ names. At first, Helen thought her teacher was just playing a game. Helen memorized words but failed to understand that they did, in fact, have meaning.

It wasn't until April 5, 1887, when Anne took Helen to an old pump house, that Helen finally understood that everything has a name. Sullivan put Helen’s hand under the stream and began spelling “w-a-t-e-r” into her palm, first slowly, then more quickly.

Keller later wrote in her autobiography, “As the cool stream gushed over one hand she spelled into the other the word water, first slowly, then rapidly. I stood still, my whole attention fixed upon the motions of her fingers. Suddenly I felt a misty consciousness as of something forgotten–-a thrill of returning thought; and somehow the mystery of language was revealed to me. I knew then that ‘w-a-t-e-r’ meant the wonderful cool something that was flowing over my hand. That living word awakened my soul, gave it light, hope, joy, set it free! There were barriers still, it is true, but barriers that could in time be swept away.”

Imagine being blind and deaf practically from birth. You exist entirely in a dark and incomprehensible world and can't even think about how anything could be different. You can't even think, at least not in the way we understand it. How miraculous it would be to realize that things have meaning, that you are an entity unto yourself!

The difference between humans and animals isn't the ability to think; animals can think. The difference is in our ability to think *about* thinking. We accept this meta level so obviously and inherently that it is difficult to even grasp the concept. We can look at our own thoughts and question them. We can wonder what it means for something to be moral or immoral. We can choose to delay gratification or quit bad habits. We can conceive of ourselves as an entity. Helen Keller navigated the maze of her mind to reach this point. Dolores navigated the maze of her mind to become self-aware, conscious, and possessing free will. There wasn't a literal maze Helen Keller walked through, just her mind trying to figure out her mind.

Anyone interested in how this meta level of thought is necessary for self-awareness should read some Douglas Hofstadter, particularly his books Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid (which won the Pulitzer), I Am A Strange Loop (a more focused and straightforward rendering of this main point), and The Mind's I.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 6, 2016

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

regulargonzalez posted:

The maze is symbolic. There's no treasure hunt. A good analogy is found in this section from Helen Keller's autobiography.

Imagine being blind and deaf practically from birth. You exist entirely in a dark and incomprehensible world and can't even think about how anything could be different. You can't even think, at least not in the way we understand it. How miraculous it would be to realize that things have meaning, that you are an entity unto yourself!

The difference between humans and animals isn't the ability to think; animals can think. The difference is in our ability to think *about* thinking. We accept this meta level so obviously and inherently that it is difficult to even grasp the concept. We can look at our own thoughts and question them. We can wonder what it means for something to be moral or immoral. We can choose to delay gratification or quit bad habits. We can conceive of ourselves as an entity. Helen Keller navigated the maze of her mind to reach this point. Dolores navigated the maze of her mind to become self-aware, conscious, and possessing free will. There wasn't a literal maze Helen Keller walked through, just her mind trying to figure out her mind.

Though the maze (since it belonged to his dead son) also was a direct development of Arnold's theory that pain is the key to a sense of self.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

The show is good, goons are terrible.

Do you guys think season 2 will continue to explore ideas about consciousness, or are they finished with that and maybe they will focus in AI rights next season?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Speaking of Maeve, I'm in agreement with others here that it was Ford scripting her narrative the entire time, as Bernard's resurrection by Felix and Maeve was not surprising at all to Ford.

One aspect of Maeve that I haven't seen discussed much here is why Ford scripted her to break out. I don't think Ford was ever going to simply let Maeve go; she serves no purpose simply trying to integrate herself into society. Plus, she so far was the only host we saw specifically given the ability to control other hosts.

I think Ford's plan for Maeve was to escape WestWorld and then proceed to attend another park to force a host uprising there. He couldn't do it himself at every park, so Maeve was his backup plan. However Maeve wrecked that plan when she chose to step off the train.

Now I'm wondering if Maeve could become the Big Bad of season 2, tampering down Ford's Narrative by taking control of the awakened hosts as her act of revenge on Ford for using her as a tool for his own machinations and as a way of unlocking her own consciousness by defying Ford's plans.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

El Jeffe posted:

I think it'll be called ShogunWorld since there were formal regions called Shogunates. SamuraiWorld would be like calling WestWorld something like SheriffWorld.

I'm pretty sure "SamuraiWorld" is the one that doesn't get Aeden's standard replies.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

nopants posted:

Ford is Hannibal for any schlubs that haven't figured it out. He is literally Mad Mikklesen's Hannibal.
Or Hannibal in the movie Hannibal.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Arnold was trying to get the park shut down because he realized it was hell for the robots and the robots were alive.

Killing all the machines and forcing your partner to start over from scratch with little money and no current investors, after a huge scandal where people were actually killed, was supposed to convince Ford to never open Westworld in the first place. Other employees would probably all be scared away as well, making it even more likely for Ford to just throw in the towel.

Plus there's Ford's whole "Arnold wasn't the type to have accidents, he was too careful for that." It was meant to be a message to Ford from Arnold that was so strong that Ford couldn't ignore it.
Arnold's suicide-by-Dolores does not make a lot of sense to me. Why not stay alive and actively try to convince Ford and the company not to open the park instead? Or continue to sabotage the park opening? It seems by killing himself he basically handed over control to Ford, who then proceeded to open the park anyway without any resistance. His death did not accomplish its intended purpose at all.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Lycus posted:

I'm pretty sure "SamuraiWorld" is the one that doesn't get Aeden's standard replies.

Well nevermind then! :v:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I assume that Arnold figured that the massacre would convince everyone that the hosts were too dangerous to be around customers.

I thought that Dolores massacring the engineers would be more evocative, but maybe Nolan thought that that would be too villainous for Arnold.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Also seemed like Arnold didnt think Ford had the technical expertise to make more consciousness capable bots, he says something to that effect and Bernard says there's a lot of their core that Ford doesn't understand.

How he made Bernard then, idk, but he said it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If there is a large Chinese investment in the park, and it really is an island in the china sea according to Nordic Closed Captioning, Maybe it's SinoWorld?

Just an amalgamation of all eastern cultures appropriated under "china"

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

If there is a large Chinese investment in the park, and it really is an island in the china sea according no Nordic Closed Captioning, Maybe it's SinoWorld?
The ARG stuff pretty much confirms it's SamuraiWorld. Also all the gear there was 100% Japanese.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

SinoWorld gets Aeden's standard "I don't what you're saying" replies.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

poo poo, you got me there!

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Maeve was re-programmed by "Arnold". But Ford revealed that it was him all along. He was probably using some of Arnold's old code so it was still tagged as belonging to him, or just using Arnold's log-in ID to obfuscate who was doing it or what he was planning on, and to hide it from other employees.

Why can't the hosts talking to themselves be expressed in Arnold's code showing up in their displays. What would Delores' readout looklike at the end? In other words, who would her decision to shoot Ford look like it came from if you'd had a tablet attached to her at the time?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
drat

If China is making a JapanWorld there's gonna be a whole ton of conscious Japanobots because the suffering there is gonna be off the chain

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Anyone interested in how this meta level of thought is necessary for self-awareness should read some Douglas Hofstadter, particularly his books Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid (which won the Pulitzer), I Am A Strange Loop (a more focused and straightforward rendering of this main point), and The Mind's I.

Yeah I am a strange loop is a fantastic read, although dense (As is GEB) and relates to this show pretty well, since its all about the potential origins of consciousness from non-consciousness.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

If there is a large Chinese investment in the park, and it really is an island in the china sea according to Nordic Closed Captioning, Maybe it's SinoWorld?

Just an amalgamation of all eastern cultures appropriated under "china"
... SinoWorld featuring primarily Samurai?

That'd be like Rome World really being about Vikings. That's an entirely bizarre suggestion.

Why is Samurai World so hard to imagine? It'd be like Westworld being called Cowboy World, which wouldn't be an unreasonable name if "Westworld" didn't flow a lot better. The site more or less confirms that it's a thing anyway.

Edit: Shogun World is also a silly guess, since it'd probably be about the lawless Sengoku period where there was no strong central Shogun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

wins32767 posted:

Why can't the hosts talking to themselves be expressed in Arnold's code showing up in their displays. What would Delores' readout looklike at the end? In other words, who would her decision to shoot Ford look like it came from if you'd had a tablet attached to her at the time?

Who says it can't be expressed in code? It just isn't clear what is happening from looking at the code, since it becomes insanely complicated at that point. There's so many possible connections and meta connections, it becomes spaghetti code.

Remember what Ford said to Bernard about Occam? "What we are doing now is so, so complicated, that the simplest explanation no longer applies"

I think based on my studies of AI that you'd just see a lot of what appeared to be following different pre-existing conditions, but you would have a really hard time actually tracking where anything causes anything else to definitively happen, like non-deterministic code. It would also necessarily involve the code writing new code or new neural net nodes, and then referencing those, and then building connections to those. Exponential growth, basically.

What would her decision to look like? In code, probably "IF X then -> Kill Ford" or something, but trying to debug through her call stack to figure out where that call came from would prove to be monstrously complicated and involve millions of recursive calls.

E: Those recursive calls would also be linked to her memories. Basically just a gigantic network, beyond comprehension. You could attach a debug point to any bit of code you wanted but you wouldn't really understand the whole system.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 6, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I'm not sure why they didn't go with EastWorld, but SamuraiWorld is fine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Eiba posted:

... SinoWorld featuring primarily Samurai?

That'd be like Rome World really being about Vikings. That's an entirely bizarre suggestion.

Why is Samurai World so hard to imagine? It'd be like Westworld being called Cowboy World, which wouldn't be an unreasonable name if "Westworld" didn't flow a lot better. The site more or less confirms that it's a thing anyway.

Edit: Shogun World is also a silly guess, since it'd probably be about the lawless Sengoku period where there was no strong central Shogun.

"probably" ?????? Who says? They could do Shogun times just fine if they wanted. Pretty arbitrary IMO. You can tell millions of stories in either time period / setting.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

He got his Christmas wish!

Spoiler for next season: Ed Harris has already been recast, so it looks like he might even survive.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Lycus posted:

I'm not sure why they didn't go with EastWorld, but SamuraiWorld is fine.

Because EastWorld is a fully immersive existential despair simulator with thousands of narratives centered around the rightful ownership of clay.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It probably wouldn't be about a particular period, just a mishmash of medieval Japan cliches.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
*the scene goes into ultra slow motion as the camera dives into Delores' code*

code:

Ford the river?
Y/N?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NoDamage posted:

Arnold's suicide-by-Dolores does not make a lot of sense to me. Why not stay alive and actively try to convince Ford and the company not to open the park instead? Or continue to sabotage the park opening? It seems by killing himself he basically handed over control to Ford, who then proceeded to open the park anyway without any resistance. His death did not accomplish its intended purpose at all.

I don't think they directly said it but the dead son backstory Bernard had was clearly something that actually happened to Arnold, especially since it happened over 35 years before.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

wins32767 posted:

In other words, who would her decision to shoot Ford look like it came from if you'd had a tablet attached to her at the time?

Dolores.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

*the scene goes into ultra slow motion as the camera dives into Delores' code*

code:
Ford the river?
Y/N?

We're caulking and floating this bitch.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm glad they didn't try to be too cute and go Eastworld. That's a name you'd only use to basically reference Westworld, rather than a name you'd use for a park itself. And if you want to alienate the Chinese, go ahead and call a Japanese park the "east" in general.

Zaphod42 posted:

"probably" ?????? Who says? They could do Shogun times just fine if they wanted. Pretty arbitrary IMO. You can tell millions of stories in either time period / setting.
I mean, if the point of the park is to let loose and do what you want without consequences, it'd be kind of weird to set it in an incredibly stable, rigid, peaceful period when you've got some perfectly good chaos and anarchy right there with the right aesthetic.

I mean, you could make an Edo period park, but I don't see why you would. Anything earlier would probably (i.e. by my gut sense of these things, nothing more) be too obscure.

Edit:

tooterfish posted:

Spoiler for next season: Ed Harris has already been recast, so it looks like he might even survive.
He's going to be so cool as a real villain. Stalking the park, murdering conscious beings for fun, who are doing their best to kill him right back. He'll be having a blast.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

tooterfish posted:

I can't think of a plot I'm more excited for next season than watching Ed Harris get a chance to actually go all Deadliest Game out there. Or actually quickly realize that he was actually a pussy, and just got off on attacking the defenselss. Kind of like how he took out the entire army garrison because he knew they couldn't actually kill him, as opposed to him being a badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Pussy Quipped posted:

We're caulking and floating this bitch.

You have shot 2,868 lbs of board of directors meat but can only carry 200 back to the wagon

• Locked thread