Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
This is who should have replaced Jon Stewart on The Daily Show, imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Iod_mH71uM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

LegoPirateNinja posted:

This is who should have replaced Jon Stewart on The Daily Show, imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Iod_mH71uM

it should've been Subcomandante Marcos.

Not like he's up to much nowadays.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Penisaurus Sex posted:

it should've been Subcomandante Marcos.

Not like he's up to much nowadays.

He was waiting to become Bernie Sanders's running mate. I just hope Rage Against the Machine makes a new album soon.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

Those episodes came out before the 9th.
I just got owned like Samantha Bee's school commute http://gothamist.com/2016/11/10/uws_school_integration.php

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

AceRimmer posted:

I just got owned like Samantha Bee's school commute http://gothamist.com/2016/11/10/uws_school_integration.php

Hahaha.

quote:

People are actually considering moving to the suburbs. That's how bad this has become.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Echo Chamber posted:

She actually blamed white women.

tbf there's definitely one white woman who's at fault.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/katetaylornyt/status/796546966922690560
:allears:

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Can I blame this poo poo on the war on drugs? Seems like the attitude it has produced in our media and populace has made it impossible for some good and morally just ideas to get traction.

I mean, this poo poo happened back in the day and it was plain racism, but the war on drugs has really messed up communities and our thoughts on those communities.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
^^^^^^ edit: Listen to my man Phil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

AceRimmer has issued a correction as of 05:04 on Dec 6, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

comingafteryouall posted:

Can I blame this poo poo on the war on drugs? Seems like the attitude it has produced in our media and populace has made it impossible for some good and morally just ideas to get traction.

I mean, this poo poo happened back in the day and it was plain racism, but the war on drugs has really messed up communities and our thoughts on those communities.

What does this have to do with the war on drugs.

This is rich people not wanting to mingle with poors and coloreds.

mugrim posted:

tbf there's definitely one white woman who's at fault.

I thought I posted that exact thing but I look back and I didn't so thanks for fixing my mistake

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Nah man, the war on drugs is a symptom of this same "those people aren't like us" drive, not a cause.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

What does this have to do with the war on drugs.

This is rich people not wanting to mingle with poors and coloreds.

I thought I posted that exact thing but I look back and I didn't so thanks for fixing my mistake

cause the war on drugs has made people look at poor communities as war zones where everyone gets shot, and if your kids has to go to school with poor kids they will also be shot. then again i don't actually know tons of city rich people so I don't know what makes them tick.

Grondoth posted:

Nah man, the war on drugs is a symptom of this same "those people aren't like us" drive, not a cause.

I dunno, seems like the war on drugs gives people a somewhat respectable excuse to go with their gut instincts. not having the war on drugs would help clear the waters some.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Nonsense posted:

"Not really understanding here what Slate's new obsession with forcing school "diversity" down our throats is. Of course I don't want my kid being lumped in with the pathologies of poverty: I don't want my kid picking up the terrible socialization, bad language, resistance to discipline and indifference toward education that they so often embody. I live in a middle-class neighborhood for a reason, and that reason is to make sure my kid goes to a school filled with other kids from middle-class families. Do your social engineering somewhere else."

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Echo Chamber posted:

I still like The Daily Show family despite Sam Bee's hateboner for Bernie and left. :(

And her ironic racism as she is against her public school being integrated.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Eh, low hanging fruit. It's upsetting how many people are eager to not blame the person most responsible with losing one of the most winnable elections ever.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Fulchrum posted:

At this point, where the gently caress isn't?

I dunno, Iceland?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

cause the war on drugs has made people look at poor communities as war zones where everyone gets shot, and if your kids has to go to school with poor kids they will also be shot. then again i don't actually know tons of city rich people so I don't know what makes them tick.

I dunno, seems like the war on drugs gives people a somewhat respectable excuse to go with their gut instincts. not having the war on drugs would help clear the waters some.

lol NIMBYs have been out there complaining far longer than that

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

It's a non-issue. Anything they give is an excuse, the real reason is that they simply don't like mingling with the lower classes.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Terror Sweat posted:

lol NIMBYs have been out there complaining far longer than that
yeah before the war on drugs obfuscated it and packaged it in a "more acceptable" way it was just loving flat racism and oppression of poor whites who had the *nerve* to integrate with minorities

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I dunno, Iceland?

Iceland is like the only Western nation that came out of the Great Recession both economically and politically strong.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mugrim posted:

Eh, low hanging fruit. It's upsetting how many people are eager to not blame the person most responsible with losing one of the most winnable elections ever.

It's also upsetting how content you are to ignore so many virtually unprecedented intrusions and manipulations of this election by outside groups, even to the point of pretending that none of these things ever happened.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

"One P.S. 452 parent speaking out against the move is comedian and former Daily Show correspondent Jason Jones, who’s married to Samantha Bee. "To portray any opposition as classist or racist is as bad as it can get," Jones told WNYC. And elsewhere: "We are not divided,” he said at a public hearing about the proposal, “we are absolutely united in wanting what's best for our children," then encouraged fellow parents not to talk to the press about the controversy."

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
As someone who does not live on either the west or east coast, it does not take much for me to poo poo on the west or east coast.

This election has given me so much more to hate them for.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

then encouraged fellow parents not to talk to the press about the controversy.

Why is talking to the press about an issue you're affected by and sharing your opinions viewed as bad?

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I dunno, Iceland?

Clearly you don't know much about Iceland or its people.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fulchrum posted:

It's also upsetting how content you are to ignore so many virtually unprecedented intrusions and manipulations of this election by outside groups, even to the point of pretending that none of these things ever happened.

Ceterum Censeo Russianem esse delendam..

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 06:32 on Dec 6, 2016

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

I'm hardly content, but those intrusions did not get Trump votes, and if they did he still underperformed those who came before him. Clinton spent 700k more fighting trolls on Reddit than Latino outreach in Florida. She tried to trick Trump by not showing up in states she lost. She's an outright lovely leader who lacked the fundamental courage to come out and tell her people she conceded. Her fundamental inability to run a moderately successful campaign gave the presidency to a reality TV show host who loves reading his bedside copy of Mein Kampf. She had basically every imaginable advantage other than a penis.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It's more like blaming the intrusions of Russia and a media that spent all their time on emails and pneumonia is a great way to deflect blame away from a weak candidate whose neoliberal ideology was wildly unpopular with their own constituency. While it contributed to the current state of affairs, it's not something that van actually be addressed by activism or taking a hard look at one's own ideology.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mugrim posted:

I'm hardly content, but those intrusions did not get Trump votes, and if they did he still underperformed those who came before him.

Last minute deciders broke really hard for Trump. If you think that Comey had nothing to do with that, you are completely insane.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

Like for real, gently caress him and Sam Bee.

This year has wrecked the credibility of a lot of people and outlets, honestly.
Samantha Bee has a lovely opinion about school integration in her area, but there are no perfect people, much less so perfect people involved in politics or the media. She's funny, and she provides a valuable service to her viewers by pointing out how drat awful the right is. I do think she's absolutely wrong on the school issue but it doesn't make me write her off completely.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Disregarding churches out of hand would be a serious mistake for the left. They are an excellent organization base, and fundamentalist tripe notwithstanding, often exhibit sympathetic values.
It has been a mistake. More should be done to galvanize religious people who aren't far right. Even if they aren't particularly to the left on certain issues (the examples that come to mind are LGBT rights and abortion), they can still be used for good overall.

Neeksy posted:

It's more like blaming the intrusions of Russia and a media that spent all their time on emails and pneumonia is a great way to deflect blame away from a weak candidate whose neoliberal ideology was wildly unpopular with their own constituency. While it contributed to the current state of affairs, it's not something that van actually be addressed by activism or taking a hard look at one's own ideology.
I think 2016 proved, more than anything else, that ideology doesn't really matter. Clinton lost because she didn't have the ridiculous manic energy of Trump, and wasn't able to connect with voters on an (what is perceived to be) honest level like Sanders. The constant misinformation from the Russians and the media absolutely hurt her, probably more so than her actual policy, but what really damaged her was her reactions to those scandals. She could never pull off Trump's cavalier disregard for facts, or his casual ability to tell flagrant lies in the face of overwhelming evidence. Trump's scandals were innumerable and didn't really hurt him because he didn't let them hurt him. It's the candidate that wins or loses elections.

Fulchrum posted:

Last minute deciders broke really hard for Trump. If you think that Comey had nothing to do with that, you are completely insane.
This too. Clinton literally was up against a profit-biased media, a Russian propaganda campaign, the FBI, and a populace hungry to blame disenfranchised scapegoats (such as Hispanics and Muslims). She had a tough job.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Guess what else happened very late in the election cycle

Comey and everything else were factors, but so was the increase in Obamacare premiums

AceRimmer has issued a correction as of 06:55 on Dec 6, 2016

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Neeksy posted:

No but it is something that you can and do need to be fully aware of going forward, not just pretend it had no impact til 2020 only to see it happen again because this election proved that there are no consequences for those illegal tricks.

If you heap everything on Hillary, you ignore every other problem and ensure they will be far far worse in the future.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
hillary was hella bad, literally a thrall of satan, and obamacare is selling your soul to satan

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neeksy posted:

Well actually Hillary didn't lose because she was a band candidate because

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
and emails was how hillary communicated with satan
that why she needed to wipe them so desperately and broke every law in the book to do so

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
and those gobs of satanic mucous was her (human?) immune system reacting to the presence of the devil and then she passed out and died on 9/11 (overcome by the :911:) and then reanimated by satan

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Baloogan posted:

and those gobs of satanic mucous was her (human?) immune system reacting to the presence of the devil and then she passed out and died on 9/11 (overcome by the :911:) and then reanimated by satan

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
At least you're not calling Hillary a demon, she's clearly Lawful Evil not Chaotic Evil smh people, have you even played DnD?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Clinton's ideology absolutely had an impact on her ability to present herself as being an honest politician with the best interests of the working public at heart. She had to spend all her time pretending that things were going great for everyone and that her technocratic friends were totally gonna be honest about helping the little guy this time, honest! The only way to sell neoliberalism to the public is to lie about its effects and benefactors.

She was a weak as hell candidate that couldn't get the Obama coalition because not only had Obama himself burned them hard, but he saddled her with the rate hikes of the ACA and TPP. Misinformation contributed, but there are things that we can actually hold the DNC and the party as a whole responsible for, rather than shrugging our shoulders because an international conspiracy is not something the public can act upon or reform.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

god i hope for his pancreas' sake that wasn't actual syrup and/or they got the footage in one take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

god i hope for his pancreas' sake that wasn't actual syrup and/or they got the footage in one take

It looks like cola, it's way too watery to be syrup.

• Locked thread