Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

a shameful boehner posted:

Amped Hardpoint is a really good twist on traditional control/capture and hold in that it points automatically start to neutralize if a player isn't actively standing on them. you can't just cap a point and then everyone fucks off like in destiny

Would be better with AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The fact that everyone continually preaches "going fast" as the cure for everything in this game is really annoying.

If you're up against better players - and you will be, because this game has really lovely matchmaking - going fast isn't going to help you all that much. They're going fast too, and they have better aim than you. Unless you want to zip around and die constantly and gently caress over 5 other players you have to meet them on their own terms.
You keep calling this game's matchmaking lovely, but like, what exactly do you want? Really heavy skill-based matchmaking? Because if so lol since 1) if you're playing a more casual mode like Attrition and BH it makes no sense since it's not trying to be hyper-competitive and 2) even if the matchmaking is perfect and always produced close matches (it wouldn't be) it means you'd have to play at 100% all the time. Want to screw around with the Kraber? gently caress you hope you enjoy 100% losses. When I was getting the Kraber to Gen 2 I had a bunch of games that were less that a 5 point difference and if I was not using the Kraber we would have won. It'd be like that but every single game instead of just a handful.

Exposure posted:

It didn't go well with the playerbase (either due to the above or they found that the system was prioritizing skill to the point matches were becoming laggy as gently caress in their experience, though I didn't really see that much of a difference), and if I had to guess Respawn's personal reluctance to try it again is due to that.
My main experience with SBMM is with Destiny and ho boy let me tell you that vast majority of the matches I've had have had someone with 500/600+ ping and are playing from pretty far away. And this is a game that has about 10x the population (only counting the people playing PvP obviously) of Titanfall 2. I don't play Destiny PvP anymore.

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 6, 2016

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
After the SBMM in Destiny, I don't care what they do as long as they prioritize good connections. I'd gladly face off against King Tweak of Adderall mountain every few games over untouchable red bar superstars playing from Saudi Arabia every game.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

a shameful boehner posted:

Amped Hardpoint is a really good twist on traditional control/capture and hold in that it points automatically start to neutralize if a player isn't actively standing on them. you can't just cap a point and then everyone fucks off like in destiny

It would be better if only B could be amped, because the optimal play of leaving one dude on A or C is not fun. Also, maps where Titans can't get into a single hardlpoint is dumb. And of course triangular points would be great.

It is my favorite game mode though.

Hackan Slash fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 6, 2016

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Hackan Slash posted:

It would be better if only B could be amped, because the optimal play of leaving one dude on A or C is not fun. Also, maps where Titans can't get into a single hardlpoint is dumb. And of course triangular points would be great.

IMHO they should add AI back into hardpoint and let them amp points. Suddenly you don't have to have someone sit on a point all game to amp it (in a game that's all about going fast and running on walls for fucks sake) and also there's AI to shoot, a reason to shoot them, and it makes the field more lively which I enjoy.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

After the SBMM in Destiny, I don't care what they do as long as they prioritize good connections. I'd gladly face off against King Tweak of Adderall mountain every few games over untouchable red bar superstars playing from Saudi Arabia every game.
The best part is it wasn't uncommon to see someone from the ME and someone from like, Brazil while I'm playing from Canada all in the same match.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Daztek posted:

Pilot Hover is fun and good, unlike the tryhard low profile option :smuggo:

It's not even about being a try-hard, it's seeing that low-profile is hands down the best objectively. poo poo, Hover and Wallhang are absolutely useless in practice because they just make you easier to hit. It really doesn't take an MLG pro to utilize one kit to it's fullest to prove it's better all around, even in casual play it's the best option. Same reason why Tone is so good.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

man something else i love about this game is that playing the objective seems like a really viable way to win rather than just killfrenzies

Yeah I've been #1 on my team a fair amount of times just by having double the amount of assault/defense points then the next highest on my team, even if I only got a few kills.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Insert name here posted:

IMHO they should add AI back into hardpoint and let them amp points. Suddenly you don't have to have someone sit on a point all game to amp it (in a game that's all about going fast and running on walls for fucks sake) and also there's AI to shoot, a reason to shoot them, and it makes the field more lively which I enjoy.

The best part is it wasn't uncommon to see someone from the ME and someone from like, Brazil while I'm playing from Canada all in the same match.

This'd be perfect. Let a grunt sit on A while I go hit the other points.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Insert name here posted:

You keep calling this game's matchmaking lovely, but like, what exactly do you want? Really heavy skill-based matchmaking?

I bought this game because they released a video and blog where they touted their new, superior matchmaking and specifically called out their new skill component - and IMO it's an almost total failure, making good matches about 1/6th of the time. I would prefer that be around 50%. I'm not asking for miracles here - matchmaking is hard and there are temporal and geographical realities - but it's a continuum and they're on the wrong side of it. When there's 2k people active in my region and mode and they put me into yet another stomp match I have to wonder what the hell is going on.

Edit: Anyway I'm done yackin' about this, either they'll fix it or they won't. Let's hope for the former.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 6, 2016

Gunder
May 22, 2003

To be clear: I was talking about Northstar's hover kit option, not the pilot hover (which I forgot even existed).

Also, re: new matchmaking: every game I get into ATM is a one way stomp.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
For what it's worth most of the games I play end up pretty close. :shrug: As seen in Destiny, skill-based matchmaking is really hard to get right. Maybe if TF2 had a large enough playerbase to support a ranked/casual split, but...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Demicol posted:

Yeah I've been #1 on my team a fair amount of times just by having double the amount of assault/defense points then the next highest on my team, even if I only got a few kills.

I scored 3700 on bounty hunt once with zero kills.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hitting pilots with the Ion laser :cabot:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

What's the best Titan to just leave on Auto while I go around killing other Titans?
Also I wish you could spectate your auto-titan at the epilogue if you're dead.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Wait what, the enemy can just sit in your evac dropship?

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
I've decided that the only factions worth a drat are Apex and the 6-4, cause none of the other jerks even bother to wear a jump pack. Buncha lazy armchair generals.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

IMO it's an almost total failure, making good matches about 1/6th of the time. I would prefer that be around 50%. I'm not asking for miracles here - matchmaking is hard and there are temporal and geographical realities - but it's a continuum and they're on the wrong side of it. When there's 2k people active in my region and mode and they put me into yet another stomp match I have to wonder what the hell is going on.

(Disclaimer: This is based on AU matchmaking which, given what I've seen on streams/gifs, is way more gently caress You New Guy than the US)

Xbone was like this. Winning as a non-guy-at-the-top-of-the-board player was about a 50/50 shot. It was extremely rare to see teams of coordinated titans and for the most part everyone just ran around doing their thing. There were lots of close games and things won at the last moment. In contrast, on PC you can call the game in the first minute and then usually 2-3 people bail. I don't have a solution to this given the current numbers. :(

Not really down on the game since when it's fun it's stupid fun, but I can definitely see why the numbers aren't going up.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Aussie servers are a brutal player base of 300 gamesager clones.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Demicol posted:

What's the best Titan to just leave on Auto while I go around killing other Titans?
Also I wish you could spectate your auto-titan at the epilogue if you're dead.

Scorch with the AI buff.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Yeah you wouldn't think it but he owns with enhanced titan. I just wish they could make enhanced titan AI even ebtter.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Hackan Slash posted:

It's not optimal to park a guy there all day though. It's optimal to amp it and then leave. This encourages people to stick around to the point long enough that it doesn't immediately get flipped.

I like it a lot and the only thing I would change is calling in an AI drop of grunts on each enemy point whenever you amp a point (mostly for looks, they can't capture or hold points). This would mostly serve to push the beginning of the round advantage by a few seconds as the grunts provide a distraction to the team who is amping their primary point second.

e: ooh, and drop a reaper at each control point that belongs to a team that is completely shut out - IE, the 0-3 point team gets 3 reapers to help swing them back into competition.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 6, 2016

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
On ps4 as a lovely to middling player most of my matches are pretty even. There's the occasional stomp in either direction but the vast majority of the matches I play are less than 100 points apart.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Panic melee in this game makes me grumpy because the range feels a little ridiculous for pilots. I probably should switch my second button on my pro controller to melee from reload for this game but :effort:

Managed to barely squeeze the clip in 15 seconds, so here's me getting 2 pilot kills and a titan kill to win an Attrition match 500-498.

http://i.imgur.com/b8GRfeS.mp4

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Volcanic Vents posted:

I've decided that the only factions worth a drat are Apex and the 6-4, cause none of the other jerks even bother to wear a jump pack. Buncha lazy armchair generals.

I just level them as I unlock them...because ultimately you level faster right?

Knifegrab posted:

Yeah you wouldn't think it but he owns with enhanced titan. I just wish they could make enhanced titan AI even ebtter.

Ya I wouldn't mind if it got some kind of perk. Everyone seems to just be running nuke eject

I gotta have that extra dash myself, especially with ion. Dash, laser *boop*, dash back behind cover

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I just level them as I unlock them...because ultimately you level faster right?

Same, actually, I just felt like talkin' poo poo on some imaginary people.

I actually really like running with Ares Division just because I find that old fart's voice soothing, despite the fact that he's obviously an elite technocrat who probably hasn't seen a day of combat in his life

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Godzilla07 posted:

Panic melee in this game makes me grumpy because the range feels a little ridiculous for pilots. I probably should switch my second button on my pro controller to melee from reload for this game but :effort:

yesterday I panic meleed a jumping pilot and it looked like I uppercutted the dude in the balls and I was in stitches for like a good minute so I'm happy with it staying how it is

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

quite stretched out posted:

yesterday I panic meleed a jumping pilot and it looked like I uppercutted the dude in the balls and I was in stitches for like a good minute so I'm happy with it staying how it is

Yesterday I was running around, going fast, and I kinda surprised myself by dropping onto another pilot and dropping a justice foot on his face. It has sold me on this game.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Maybe i'm the target casual audience with only a couple pilot regens but stomp matches are like 1 in 20 for me and almost every game is a close win or loss, even if there is a star on one team they're usually balanced out by an embarassingly bad team member

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Panic melee is a new term to me, but it perfectly describes the bane of every FPS for me. Mapping melee to the loving R3 makes me accidentally click it when someone slightly startles me by popping out of nowhere and I die because of it at least once or twice a round and games rarely let me remap it. Once in a while it makes me look like an on point badass though when I jump off a building and someone is running below me or something though.

I honestly hate the melee in this game though. I hate how spotty the hit detection is, I hate that it's a one hit kill, and if you both are punching each other and you die it usually feels like you got robbed. I'm really over melee being an insta kill button in FPS.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I'm so glad the Wingman Elite is back. Its so good.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Ice Fist posted:

Yesterday I was running around, going fast, and I kinda surprised myself by dropping onto another pilot and dropping a justice foot on his face. It has sold me on this game.

yeah i think the first time i big booted a dude in the face after he missed me with his shotgun was in my very first match and i was 100% sold. i'm glad they patched in grappling the escape ship though, because it was the clincher for one of my friends in his very first map when he missed the evac ship but managed to grapple it and it counted him as escaping haha

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I've been cleaning up pretty well with Amped Wall + R-201 with Tactikill and Power Cells. And smart autoTone, of course. I AM KING OF WALLS.

e: But I just unlocked Thunderball, or Thunderbolt. gently caress, that thing's terrible. Can't see why I'd want that or the Charge Beam over the MGL.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yo if you guys are really bad don't worry this game just suddenly clicked for me and I'm doing pretty great every match. Well, maybe it has something to do with Black Friday newbs. Having a lot more fun tho

But really just keep that momentum and jump off everything you can. Having a blast just with the movement in this game jumping from thing to thing whilst shooting like a loon. I like ion the best with the extra boost and zero energy tripwire. Do a lot of hit and runs and bait ronins with my tripwire, laser them, then dash away when they nuke eject

My top 3 guns are lstar, devotion, and hemlock. So give those a try if you haven't. The lstar is great for run and gun and I slap a site on it in case I wanna ADS--it's only good on certain maps though. Actually, all three of those guns are only good on particular maps. The first shotgun is pretty great too and the softball is hilarious to use, but could use a slight buff. I ADS often tbh, just don't do it every corner or after your done sprinting. The lstar is great for hipfiring

Pair the devotion with a-wall. I run the hemlock with grapple. Then stun/cloak with lstar

I wouldn't mind a grapple buff tbh. Maybe lower the cooldown or just make it unlimited

Lastly, I can't see myself using anything else but frag grenades. I get a surprising amount of random toss kills. Even without that grenade perk they refresh fast and you seemingly always have one ready. The other ones are gimmicky and fun I suppose but I just can't seem to do poo poo with them. Gravity star is great against a-wall though and on bounty hunt. Fuckers kept grabbing me while I was depositing

Bogart posted:

I've been cleaning up pretty well with Amped Wall + R-201 with Tactikill and Power Cells. And smart autoTone, of course. I AM KING OF WALLS.

e: But I just unlocked Thunderball, or Thunderbolt. gently caress, that thing's terrible. Can't see why I'd want that or the Charge Beam over the MGL.

Agreed a-wall is dope and highly underused. Great with devotion

Thunderbolt is actually really good imo and it's all I ever run. You don't even have to hit the Titans. Brings your Titan meter up really fast. I just run around lobbing rounds at Titans or groups of them

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, firing through the A-Wall feels really good, and throwing it to cover your flank while you open fire on some dudes in an uncertain bit of land is awesome.

I guess I'll give it another shot, but ugh, it's just so unwieldy. The MGL has a nearly immediate effect on target.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Be careful with the A-wall, because sometimes if you are trying to shoot through the side it will be a wall and you kill yourself like a dumbass. Not that I've ever done that, I mean. That would be embarrassing.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Bogart posted:

Don't worry about trying to hit titans with it, in fact try to get it to graze right past em. If you see enemy titans bunched up, send your lazy-sailin' zap-ball into their midst and marvel at the speed with which your Titan meter fills up.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

But really just keep that momentum and jump off everything you can. Having a blast just with the movement in this game jumping from thing to thing whilst shooting like a loon.

I would add that it really pays to get accustomed to jumping without looking in the direction you're moving. If you're having that ""I can't ever find anybody to shoot and then suddenly bang I'm dead" problem, this can be mitigated a lot by looking at right angles to your jump direction. More than any other FPS I've played, TF2 really hammers home the whole "keep your head on a swivel" mantra. Angel City is really good for getting used to this type of movement; I played a lot of TF1 but for some reason playing a whole day of nothing but the Angel City playlist this weekend really helped me make a breakthrough on this front.

quote:

Lastly, I can't see myself using anything else but frag grenades.

Same but electric smoke.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The wingman elite's special ricochet mod makes me wish that every weapon or at least weapon class had one unique mod. That would help a bit with shifting away from SMG city.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Also if you're on console and not playing Bumper Jumper, do it now. You can keep both thumbs on the sticks while jumping, which makes jumping and wall running way more fluid. Plus it's easier to play Bumper Jumper here since you don't need to ADS with SMGs unlike say, CoD. There's also Evolved which makes it so that you can jump with L1 AND slide with R3, but there's a trade off since you're swapping melee for sliding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yo if you guys are really bad don't worry this game just suddenly clicked for me and I'm doing pretty great every match. Well, maybe it has something to do with Black Friday newbs. Having a lot more fun tho

But really just keep that momentum and jump off everything you can. Having a blast just with the movement in this game jumping from thing to thing whilst shooting like a loon. I like ion the best with the extra boost and zero energy tripwire. Do a lot of hit and runs and bait ronins with my tripwire, laser them, then dash away when they nuke eject

My top 3 guns are lstar, devotion, and hemlock. So give those a try if you haven't. The lstar is great for run and gun and I slap a site on it in case I wanna ADS--it's only good on certain maps though. Actually, all three of those guns are only good on particular maps. The first shotgun is pretty great too and the softball is hilarious to use, but could use a slight buff. I ADS often tbh, just don't do it every corner or after your done sprinting. The lstar is great for hipfiring

Pair the devotion with a-wall. I run the hemlock with grapple. Then stun/cloak with lstar

I wouldn't mind a grapple buff tbh. Maybe lower the cooldown or just make it unlimited

Lastly, I can't see myself using anything else but frag grenades. I get a surprising amount of random toss kills. Even without that grenade perk they refresh fast and you seemingly always have one ready. The other ones are gimmicky and fun I suppose but I just can't seem to do poo poo with them. Gravity star is great against a-wall though and on bounty hunt. Fuckers kept grabbing me while I was depositing

Agreed a-wall is dope and highly underused. Great with devotion

Thunderbolt is actually really good imo and it's all I ever run. You don't even have to hit the Titans. Brings your Titan meter up really fast. I just run around lobbing rounds at Titans or groups of them

Yeah eventually you hit a moment with this game where it all clicks. You start seeing all the aerial paths through the map, you learn all the jumping distances, and you can flow poo poo together nicely. In the singleplayer campaign the manuevers are much more obvious - in multiplayer it takes a bit more to learn how flexible your movement really is.

Also bounty hunt takes a long time to figure out how to strategize and I wouldn't have started with that if I had known that. There's a focus on farming and protecting yourself once you've farmed that feels very loosely MOBA-esque.