Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I actually quite like this one, but with 3 ounces of just bourbon as the recipe was originally written. It's lighter as a change of pace for people usually doing aged nog. If anything, it could see the liquor increased a good bit and still work well. As-is, it's light, fluffy, somewhat mild, and fairly refreshing. My wife doesn't get excited about aged nog but will park herself at the bowl with Brown's recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Alton Brown has one, I haven't personally tried it but he's never steered me wrong before.

I just made this, and it's real, real good. I agree with Butch Cassidy that it's pretty low on liquor, but that's fine with me, since anyone who wants it stronger can just add a little more bourbon to theirs. Thanks!

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

Comb Your Beard posted:

I picked up some white rhum agricole from Martinique on a trip to France. What should I make with it?

Thinking keep it simple, home made lime peel syrup + lime juice + rhum + tiny bit of angostura, shake.

I could also add a splash of Smith and Cross.

Air mails yo; like a daiquiri wearing a bow-tie. Depending on how you feel about the rhum/prosecco you're using you can go the French 75 route and coupe it or throw it all in a Collins glass and use your bubbly to top (my preferred method).

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lokee posted:

Air mails yo; like a daiquiri wearing a bow-tie. Depending on how you feel about the rhum/prosecco you're using you can go the French 75 route and coupe it or throw it all in a Collins glass and use your bubbly to top (my preferred method).

wow i just made one of these with el dorado 12 and it's fuckin ...*kisses fingers*

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Hi I know this has probably come up like 400,000 times but I was hoping for a recommendation of a nice ~house cocktail~ I could make ahead of time in bulk for a holiday party. Given most of my friends have barely even driven past flavor town, I think something on the lighter / sweeter (?) / flavor other than spirits side would be ideal, but mostly I'd like something vaguely holiday-ish or Winter-y or whatever, which I don't think I could define if pressed. Anyway, does anyone know of something good that fits that criteria?

EDIT: Also in light of the recent chatter, egg nog is not really what I'm after!

Stanley Goodspeed fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 3, 2016

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Hi I know this has probably come up like 400,000 times but I was hoping for a recommendation of a nice ~house cocktail~ I could make ahead of time in bulk for a holiday party. Given most of my friends have barely even driven past flavor town, I think something on the lighter / sweeter (?) / flavor other than spirits side would be ideal, but mostly I'd like something vaguely holiday-ish or Winter-y or whatever, which I don't think I could define if pressed. Anyway, does anyone know of something good that fits that criteria?

EDIT: Also in light of the recent chatter, egg nog is not really what I'm after!

Sounds like a job for punch; here are several recipes

I've been meaning to try some seasonal variations on a few cocktails. One that comes to mind is an Old Fashioned with applejack and cardamom bitters replacing the whiskey and Angostura.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm gearing up to do my third Lost Souls Punch of the season, so you might consider that one. It's goooooood.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Ended up picking Frank Forester's Punch, mostly as I had a lot of it already on hand. Now to dig up a punch bowl big enough

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That punch is legit as hell, never apologize. Recently I've taken to keeping some soda water on hand to make it a bit lighter, to taste.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Looking to emulate an old fashioned recipe from my local bar and googling leads to way to many possibilities.

The only things I know for sure are:

They used simple syrup and bitters.
They didn't muddle any fruit, but served it with a luxardo cherry and an orange slice.
They used bourbon (they left it up to me and I tried once of each but realized I preferred bourbon to rye).

That should hopefully narrow it down enough, but it seems like there are a million recipes. They only thing I won't be able to replicate are the cherries because I personally don't see it worth the price to spend $25 on cherries even if they were really good.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Looking to emulate an old fashioned recipe from my local bar and googling leads to way to many possibilities.

The only things I know for sure are:

They used simple syrup and bitters.
They didn't muddle any fruit, but served it with a luxardo cherry and an orange slice.
They used bourbon (they left it up to me and I tried once of each but realized I preferred bourbon to rye).

That should hopefully narrow it down enough, but it seems like there are a million recipes. They only thing I won't be able to replicate are the cherries because I personally don't see it worth the price to spend $25 on cherries even if they were really good.

A sugar cube is 1 tsp, so I'd start with 2 tsp (10ml) of simple syrup. Following IBA proportions, it'd be:

1.5 oz whiskey
2 tsp simple syrup
Dash of Angostura bitters

If there are no other ingredients, it should just be a matter of adjusting the sweetness. Have you considered just asking the bartender, though?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

They only thing I won't be able to replicate are the cherries because I personally don't see it worth the price to spend $25 on cherries even if they were really good.
You can always make your own maraschino cherries, if you're willing to buy a bottle of maraschino and some cherries when they're in season and wait 4-6 weeks.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Toast Museum posted:

A sugar cube is 1 tsp, so I'd start with 2 tsp (10ml) of simple syrup. Following IBA proportions, it'd be:

1.5 oz whiskey
2 tsp simple syrup
Dash of Angostura bitters

If there are no other ingredients, it should just be a matter of adjusting the sweetness. Have you considered just asking the bartender, though?

Oh definitely going to ask the next time I'm there, just bought some bourbon and wanted to try it out tonight though.

Halloween Jack posted:

You can always make your own maraschino cherries, if you're willing to buy a bottle of maraschino and some cherries when they're in season and wait 4-6 weeks.

Do they stack up to the luxardo pretty well and do they last a while?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Oh definitely going to ask the next time I'm there, just bought some bourbon and wanted to try it out tonight though.

Do they stack up to the luxardo pretty well and do they last a while?

They'll last forever, but a bottle of luxardo will be about $40 and cherries aren't cheap either.

I use angostura bitters and regans no 6 orange bitters in my old fashioneds. You could always play around with other bitters - woodford reserve makes an awesome barrel aged spiced cherry bitters.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I butter washed my winter barrel cocktail and the end result is really good:

1 Oz Lairds 7 year apple brandy
1 Oz Catoctin Creek Roundstone Rye
0.5 Oz Cocchi Torino
0.25 Oz toasted barley syrup
Brown Butter Wash
2 Dashes blackstrap bitters
1 Barspoon Cider Vinegar

Stir, served up in a coupe.

The liquor all gets combined and then brown butter washed overnight, before adding the bitters and the cider vinegar.

I'm working on the garnish now, I'm going to try to soak an apple in rye and the toasted barley syrup to work as a sub for a maraschino cherry, since the drink is essentially a Manhattan Build. It might get on the winter Columbia Room menu!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Follow Toast Museum's advice but also twist a strip of orange zest over the top if you have any on hand. And make it a couple dashes of bitters because :yum:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Butch Cassidy posted:

Follow Toast Museum's advice but also twist a strip of orange zest over the top if you have any on hand. And make it a couple dashes of bitters because :yum:

Tried it today without the orange zest and it was pretty close so thanks! I just used standard angostura bitters though-does orange bitter make a difference? Also how long will bitters last? It says 45% alcohol so I'm guessing quite a while-do they need to be refrigerated?

Edit: also, how long will simple syrup last? Refrigerated or not...

nwin fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 5, 2016

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Tried it today without the orange zest and it was pretty close so thanks! I just used standard angostura bitters though-does orange bitter make a difference? Also how long will bitters last? It says 45% alcohol so I'm guessing quite a while-do they need to be refrigerated?

Edit: also, how long will simple syrup last? Refrigerated or not...

Orange bitters will taste noticeably different. I'm a fan; give 'em a shot, either in place of or alongside the Angostura. Both have a shelf life of years without refrigeration.

Simple syrup needs to be refrigerated once opened. Commercial stuff will probably last weeks to a few months. Toss it as soon as any cloudiness appears. If you're making it yourself, it probably won't last as long, but you can buy yourself some time by mixing a little vodka into it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Toast Museum posted:

Orange bitters will taste noticeably different. I'm a fan; give 'em a shot, either in place of or alongside the Angostura. Both have a shelf life of years without refrigeration.

Simple syrup needs to be refrigerated once opened. Commercial stuff will probably last weeks to a few months. Toss it as soon as any cloudiness appears. If you're making it yourself, it probably won't last as long, but you can buy yourself some time by mixing a little vodka into it.

Yeah I figured simple syrup is easy enough to make that maybe it's not worth buying for the small amount I do drink, I just didn't want to have to make the small 10ml of it every time I want a drink or two at night.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah I figured simple syrup is easy enough to make that maybe it's not worth buying for the small amount I do drink, I just didn't want to have to make the small 10ml of it every time I want a drink or two at night.

Speaking of simple syrup, at my bar (and plenty of other places) we use a demerara syrup for our old fashioneds and it ends up really tasty. If you can pick up some demerara sugar and use that for your simple it'll take your game to its next level

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Thanks again for the punch idea! I skimped on ingredients because I'm a dirty peasant (Paul Masson VSOP Brandy and Gran Gala, questionable "not-the-cheapest-but-close" champagne) but it was delicious regardless. Glad I only made a half-batch as a few people didn't show and a few more couldn't drink for various reasons (one of them has an allergy to barrel-aged anything which sounds like one of the more depressing allergies you could have!), still had an excess at the end of the night to try to mop up.

I've had Wondrich's Punch for a year now but read it for the history and forgot there were recipes in there! When I did look up the recipes after your suggestion, I found them questionably formatted and hard to follow miniature stories, so thank you twice for putting together those posts with everything in an easy to read list!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

goferchan posted:

Speaking of simple syrup, at my bar (and plenty of other places) we use a demerara syrup for our old fashioneds and it ends up really tasty. If you can pick up some demerara sugar and use that for your simple it'll take your game to its next level
Is there a way to make demerara syrup clear? I actually started out making demerara syrup, which my wife insisted would magically become clear, but it did not. The syrup tastes good, though. Just doesn't do much for the colour of a cocktail with clear liquor.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I just got a bottle of Green Chartreuse as a great late housewarming gift. It's been a few years since I had any Chartreuse around. Already made a Last Word, a Bijou, a Diamondback (2:1:1 rye, applejack, Chartreuse, up--it was great), and a "Perfect BQE" (described as halfway between a Greenpoint and a Red Hook, both of which I like, but thought this one was a miss). What else should I be making?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I bought a bottle of Trader Vic's dark rum because they didn't have Coruba and gently caress paying $15 for a 375 of Meyer's. Is it crap? I actually like it from the tiny sip I took, it had more of a chocolate note and less cough syrup than other dark rum I tried. I also saw Whaler's, is that okay?

I would look at Kenning's megapost, but I'm on my phone so I don't have it bookmarked.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I bought a bottle of Trader Vic's dark rum because they didn't have Coruba and gently caress paying $15 for a 375 of Meyer's. Is it crap? I actually like it from the tiny sip I took, it had more of a chocolate note and less cough syrup than other dark rum I tried. I also saw Whaler's, is that okay?

I would look at Kenning's megapost, but I'm on my phone so I don't have it bookmarked.

I posted about whaler's last month. It's awful. Don't buy it please.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Here you go.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Scythe posted:

I just got a bottle of Green Chartreuse as a great late housewarming gift. It's been a few years since I had any Chartreuse around. Already made a Last Word, a Bijou, a Diamondback (2:1:1 rye, applejack, Chartreuse, up--it was great), and a "Perfect BQE" (described as halfway between a Greenpoint and a Red Hook, both of which I like, but thought this one was a miss). What else should I be making?

I think I posted it earlier in here but this recipe for hot chocolate with green chartreuse and genever knocked my socks off

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Turns out the big liquor store across town has a bunch of stuff the big liquor store around the corner is missing, so now I am happy and my wallet is sad. I'd love some cocktail suggestions for:

Laird's Straight Apple Brandy - Picked it up for a fall/winter Old Fashioned variant I mentioned a few posts ago, but I'm up for trying whatever with it. Apparently a Jack Rose can be made with either lemon or lime; anyone got a strong opinion?

Smith & Cross - I've heard it makes a great rum Old Fashioned. I'd love to know what other rum drinks it's well suited for.

Del Maguey Vida Mezcal - Only one of the three I've tried mixing yet. The smokiness made for a pretty dope Blood & Sand variant, even though I had to sub navel orange for blood orange.

Scrappy's Cardamom Bitters - I got it to go with the Laird's, but it seems like it should be reasonably versatile.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I absolutely love scrappy cardamom bitters in classic negronis, and vida mezcal makes a pretty killer negroni as well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I made a Jack Rose with lemon once; it just wasn't as good. But my strongest opinion re: Jack Rose's is to always make your own grenadine.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I dunno if I've tried it with lime. I like to do a split base with cognac though. And absolutely make your own grenadine. So worth it.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

goferchan posted:

I think I posted it earlier in here but this recipe for hot chocolate with green chartreuse and genever knocked my socks off

Definitely going to make this--another excuse to finally get a bottle of genever. Thanks!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Made an Old Fashioned over the weekend and muddled the sugar with angostura and half a barspoon of orange blossom water. Basil Hayden's for the booze. Totally different from a normal Old Fashioned, but it was really tasty.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I think I might have to admit defeat on Old Fashioneds. I did one with Laird's yesterday and another with Smith & Cross just now, and I'm just not really feeling lightly sweetened brown liquor. Maybe it's an acquired taste that I just haven't acquired yet, but I don't see it becoming a favorite anytime soon.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Toast Museum posted:

I think I might have to admit defeat on Old Fashioneds. I did one with Laird's yesterday and another with Smith & Cross just now, and I'm just not really feeling lightly sweetened brown liquor. Maybe it's an acquired taste that I just haven't acquired yet, but I don't see it becoming a favorite anytime soon.

I'm not a big Old Fashioned guy normally and if I want a stirred whiskey drink I'll always always drink a manhattan but i really like our house variant on the menu where I work

2oz Rittenhouse Rye
.5oz Sassafrass syrup
.25oz Cardamaro
.25oz Ramazzotti
Jerry Thomas bitters

goferchan fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 7, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh also Fart Car , I'm a convert now on the 1:1 gin martini w orange bitters. Just to bastardize it even further I've been drinking em with Dolin Blanc instead of dry vermouth and it's pretty much my favorite drink in the world right now lol. That's what I get for talkin poo poo

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
While I'm saying polarizing things, I just made my first Negroni. My god, Campari is foul. I was hoping it'd be like gin: not something I ever want to sip neat, but surprisingly good in cocktails. NOPE. Still unpleasantly bitter!

goferchan posted:

Oh also Fart Car , I'm a convert now on the 1:1 gin martini w orange bitters. Just to bastardize it even further I've been drinking em with Dolin Blanc instead of dry vermouth and it's pretty much my favorite drink in the world right now lol. That's what I get for talkin poo poo

That's exactly what I've been drinking lately. So good.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

lol i was at an event yesterday and the speaker compared Campari to anal sex which i thought was a little crude but fair. you're probably not gonna enjoy it the first couple times

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
I realized one day I was a bitter, amaro, and campari fanatic, and I asked myself, how did I get here?

I traced it all the way back to Rocco Milano's Italian Old Fashioned at Private/Social (RIP) here in Dallas. Looking it up, Makers Mark Bourbon, Dolin Rouge, lemon and orange peel and dehydrated Campari. He dehydrated the Campari by pouring it onto a sheet pan and setting it on top of a hot oven at the restaurant until it was a full sheet of the crusty sugar crystals you get around the rim of a bottle. It was just enough to pique my interest, just get my toe wet.

Now I shoot Fernet Branca straight room temp and look askance at my fiends when they don't think it's delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Didn't think I was a Campari fan after trying a couple Negronis, but on a whim I made a "Camparty" with a white IPA I had in the fridge and it's really good. Good enough that I took a shot of Campari after and liked it, too. Thank you, cocktail thread.