Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Intruder posted:

Does it matter which one

aren't they interchangeable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

Does it matter which one

that's when the attack comes

swish

from the sides

from the two other plumlees

you didn't even know

were there

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

Tim Duncan is retired and that's a HUGE deal. He's the second most powerful defender in NBA history behind Bill Russell. Last year at the age of 39 he led the entire league with a DBPM of 5.0

The Spurs defense is looking weak. Their relative DRTG is -1.3 (the weakest since 1993). Duncan isn't around to rescue Popovich any longer.

yeah, losing duncan has been painful. he was the heart and soul of the most successful franchise in sports history. that the spurs are currently 2nd in the nba standings is amazing, but the way they're winning games only serves to illustrate the hole duncan left behind him.

but there is plenty of hope. for one, they're winning games, including several come from behind wins. and its super early in the season still. i think we just crossed the 25% line? the next forty games (double what we just played) will still be used for development and learning the system. the time to worry about the spurs is after the rodeo road trip.

maybe they'll be great! maybe they'll make an early exit in the playoffs! maybe they'll put up a surprisingly good fight or fold to the clippers/warriors! there's absolutely no telling as of now. its really hard to do, especially for a team as consistent as the spurs, but the fans just gotta go with the flow. and trust in pop.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/806002030816829442

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yeah send indy back to aba after that

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

Does it matter which one

a big dopey lookin white one preferably

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
you guys think the plumlees swap wives? they totally do, right.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

You couldn't even pull this off in a video game what the gently caress

The outlet pass to the off the glass alley oop is literally NBA Street level stuff.

Edit:

The Duggler posted:

It wasn't off the glass, still nice though

Oh it definitely looks that from this clip. I didn't watch the game.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

It wasn't off the glass, still nice though

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

RaySmuckles posted:

the most successful franchise in sports history.

uh

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Zogo posted:

RW with six straight triple-doubles. Trails only 1989 Jordan and 1962 Oscar with seven straight and 1968 Wilt with nine straight.

Tim Duncan is retired and that's a HUGE deal. He's the second most powerful defender in NBA history behind Bill Russell. Last year at the age of 39 he led the entire league with a DBPM of 5.0

The Spurs defense is looking weak. Their relative DRTG is -1.3 (the weakest since 1993). Duncan isn't around to rescue Popovich any longer.

:eyepop:

I believe the stat is that the Spurs had the best defense in the league last year with Duncan on the bench. The defense wasn't all him last year. Going from Duncan to Gasol has been a downgrade though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I think Bashez raises a good point in that regardless of Timmy it makes no sense the Spurs are better defensively with Kawhi on the bench

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
But that Warriors defense sure is questionable, huh?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

They sure shut down the mighty pacers

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Masai, just trade the farm for Millsap or Cousins or whoever. Mortgage the entire future, trade all the young guys, leave the draft barren for a half-decade. I just want to try to have even a 25% chance at beating the Cavs.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The Lakers are currently doing their best Pelicans impression, with 6 of their top 11 players being injured

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The good news is Russell should be back in a week or two. ]

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Not what I meant. If you score 146 who gives a poo poo how your defense plays?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Strawberry Panda posted:

Not what I meant. If you score 146 who gives a poo poo how your defense plays?

The playoffs.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Rick posted:

The playoffs.

I don't see any other team matching that scoring output. I know things get slower in the playoffs but, again, I think you're just fooling yourself if you think their defense is some fatal flaw. It's like two years ago when there was questions about whether they could win a title with their turnover problem.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

AggressivelyStupid posted:

The warriors defense was really good tonight. Indiana shot 41 percent and had 13'shots blocked and were run off the 3 point line all night

The pacers got 100 points because of the frenetic pace of the game and because they went 33 of 35 from the free throw line, not because of any bad defense

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

roundmidnight posted:

Masai, just trade the farm for Millsap or Cousins or whoever. Mortgage the entire future, trade all the young guys, leave the draft barren for a half-decade. I just want to try to have even a 25% chance at beating the Cavs.

Nothing is guaranteed except for death

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
death is cool though because all of the teams who win championships will also die and their accomplishments will be rendered meaningless in the all-devouring maw of eternity, or whatever

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

A lot of good defensive players have weird splits, Kawhi is playing a lot of minutes this year so the teams ups and downs are put on him.

This forum is rely looking box score plus minus a lot, but it doesn't do much in a vacuum. Eye test isn't lying, Kawhi is not having as good of a year as he usually does but he's still a great wing defender.

I think we're saying "this is a weird statistic what explains it?" like ten million years before we're suggesting Kawhi Leonard is not a good defender. Unless Bashez was suggesting that no he wouldn't do that, would he?

Whatever's happening it's got some kinda multiplier exaggeration because Ortng is per 100 and Spurs Bench plays faster pace

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

yeah I mean they're good but they're not even close to the uconn women's basketball team

also team usa women's basketball is something like 89-2 since 1996

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

predicto posted:

The warriors defense was really good tonight. Indiana shot 41 percent and had 13'shots blocked and were run off the 3 point line all night

The pacers got 100 points because of the frenetic pace of the game and because they went 33 of 35 from the free throw line, not because of any bad defense

Indiana shot 41%? Good night for them! Only partly a joke.

Strawberry Panda posted:

I don't see any other team matching that scoring output. I know things get slower in the playoffs but, again, I think you're just fooling yourself if you think their defense is some fatal flaw. It's like two years ago when there was questions about whether they could win a title with their turnover problem.

The basketball-reference.com/playoffs of basketball is littered with great (better than the Warriors!) offensive teams with no titles.

Rick fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Dec 6, 2016

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Rick posted:

Indiana shot 41%? Good night for them! Only partly a joke.

The basketball-reference/playoffs of basketball is littered with great (better than the Warriors!) offensive teams with no titles.

I guess I could see the Clippers challenging the Warriors.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
That'll do, Klay, that'll do. :unsmith:

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 6, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Strawberry Panda posted:

I guess I could see the Clippers challenging the Warriors.

If the playoffs were today I'd predict the Rockets to beat them in a shoot-out in the second round.

But, unlike the Rockets I do think the Warriors team will start to play good defense against good teams as the season goes on.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Rick posted:

If the playoffs were today I'd predict the Rockets to beat them in a shoot-out in the second round.

But, unlike the Rockets I do think the Warriors team will start to play good defense against good teams as the season goes on.

What defense / offensive combo do you see posing a threat to the Warriors? Generally interested.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Strawberry Panda posted:

What defense / offensive combo do you see posing a threat to the Warriors? Generally interested.

Lebrons shroud of inaccuracy (-3)

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

Kidd is giving him DNPs and 8 minutes of playing time per game because he isn't physically capable of defending the pnr the way he wants. It's a waste of resources, but they're not really trying that hard to win so I suppose it doesn't matter. It's hurt his trade value, a lot

Historically he's a median starting center defensively, plus minus wise, he gets a lot of steals, he's a good rebounder, and is very large. He just can't jump and he's not agile. He's a good passer and a pretty good scorer

Monroe was getting DNP because he bitched out Greg Foster on the bench. He has played consistently since they banished Plumlee to the end of the bench (BTW the real worst contract signed). They have him in a Kanter role and that is where he belongs.

Maker may be the real starter someday if we want to talk about crazy lineups. Unfortunately Maker knows nothing about positioning and is too raw to play right now. He is awesome at coming in during garbage time and electrifying the crowd ie drilling threes, breaking Birdman's ankles etc though.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Strawberry Panda posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC-mTgXRfm8

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Strawberry Panda posted:

I think the Spurs can. They have to play out of their minds to do it because they are less talented but they have a matchup that can go really well or really poorly.

The Clippers and Cavs, obviously. They're in a similar situation as the Spurs though, I don't think they're good enough. I didn't think the Cavs were good enough last year either and they managed to pull out a win though.

predicto posted:

Your opponent shooting 35 freethrows is generally because of bad defense.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
No one mentioned that Klay had 2 rebounds, 1 assist , 0 blocks, 0 steals, 0 fouls and 0 turnovers to go with his 60 points.

Which means if we are going by counting stats he managed beat Kobe's 61 point, 0 rebound, 3 assist, 0 steal, 1 block, 2 turnover, 1 foul game against the Knicks.

Will we ever see a 60/0/0/0/0/0/0 game?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
GSW had a DRtg of 101 last night and a ORtg of 135.

Is a 34 point differential not good enough? What number are you guys looking to see?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
It's like you guys forgot everyone agreed they would win a lot of games and score a lot of points. The issue is once the playoffs come they will lose if Durant is still their best rim protector

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Like I know you're being dramatic to emphasis how people criticizing the Warriors this early are being dramatic, but you realize the Pacer's loving suck, right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tristan Thompson, nba champion rim protector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Strawberry Panda posted:

Spurs. They're big, they defend well, they spread the floor, can run the floor if they really want to, and most of all they rebound so they can generate a lot of extra possessions for their offense and limit possessions for the Warriors.

Clippers, maybe, if they can do what they were doing early, later in the season. A big team that defends and scores in clips is certainly not something the Warriors want to see. Although they currently seem to have forgotten this stuff.

I also still really like the Cavs, they pretty sneakily figured out how to involve Kevin Love in their offense finally and their defense in the playoffs is proven.

Rick fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 6, 2016

• Locked thread