Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

baka kaba posted:

You're probably just not used to the general input behaviour and we are...

Definitely. Thanks for your help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wormil posted:

And there it is, inevitable.

I'm not sure what you're expecting, dude told you right up front how it works and you actively chose the opposite.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

I just tried it in Google chrome and long pressing selects everything in a text input.
Chrome address box is a little different as generally if you're typing in that you want to overwrite the entire thing with a new address or search. But yes, it does do that in that one specific case.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I just wanted to confirm that there's no new hotness for podcast applications and the recommendations in the OP for Pocket Casts and Beyond Pod are still good? Like neither of them was bought by some joint NSA / Russian Mob shell corporation and now funnels all your data into purchasing in-game currency for some lovely MMO or anything, right? :ohdear:

Any strong preferences one way or the other for which to grab?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

I just wanted to confirm that there's no new hotness for podcast applications and the recommendations in the OP for Pocket Casts and Beyond Pod are still good?

iTunes via WINE for Android is my favorite suggestion kidding

Pocket Casts is what I'd recommend, with the caveat that it's better suited to a smaller (or neurotically-siloed) library of casts. Great for per-podcast settings on stuff like skip-silence, volume-boost and playback-speed, auto download etc. It doesn't really do audio books well, but it makes podcasts friendly on mobile. My only complaint is I don't know a way to simply list the casts like a textual index - it'll always be icons (sortable and resizeable) with artwork. Great when you have twenty subscriptions, much less great when you have over a hundred and don't bother memorizing logos prone to change.

You can always check out Google music's podcasts feature, if you're a regular user of their services. That's a relatively recent change to the Android podcast venues

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

I just wanted to confirm that there's no new hotness for podcast applications and the recommendations in the OP for Pocket Casts and Beyond Pod are still good? Like neither of them was bought by some joint NSA / Russian Mob shell corporation and now funnels all your data into purchasing in-game currency for some lovely MMO or anything, right? :ohdear:

Pocket Casts looks way better, but Beyond Pod has way more functionality. I'm not quite sure how Pocket Casts gets its list of podcasts, since it seems to have its own little selection thing, but I've yet to come across a podcast I wanted to listen to that hasn't been on it. There's also a one time fee you can pay that'll let you use their web interface on PC, with full time-syncing between all versions. It's pretty sweet and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Beyond Pod is what you use if you don't care if it looks super pretty, you want all the options. Using your own files requires this weird workaround on Pocket Casts, but you can just point Beyond Pod to a directory and play whatever you want. I was listening to old episodes of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History for example, and managed to get them working by throwing them all in google drive on my pc, downloading them on my phone, and pointing Beyond Pod at my downloads folder. I did have issues with it sometimes not keeping the time which is kind of a huge problem when you're dealing with 4 hour episodes like I was, but for the most part it did it's job well enough.

Basically, Pocket Casts is super great for normal use while Beyond Pod covers basically every possible use case at the expense of design and user friendliness.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 6, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google just dumped 4 "Team News" sections into my Google now that I can't swipe away and have no context menus to configure.

I don't follow sports period, why the hell is this stuff there and how do I make it go away?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Mine always have menus and the ability to swipe the tile away and then a prompt asking if I want it gone forever or just for now. Maybe your Google Now is acting up and needs a restart / something something with the cache / data?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I pulled down to refresh and they're gone now.

I also got a notification about a "Top Story". Like, full on notification with vibration and everything. Me thinks Google is messing with feed features again.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bull3964 posted:

I also got a notification about a "Top Story". Like, full on notification with vibration and everything. Me thinks Google is messing with feed features again.

I had a handful of those during the election, usually after I've already read the same news from a different source on Google Now.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Just got one of those. No apparent setting to turn it off. :(

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is Netguard cool and good? I really like the concept and it seems to work just fine but does it do something like monitor all my traffic and spies on me or something?

Also, why does Photos compress 4k videos when I send links to people? You'd think they'd just get to see the full-resolution version like me.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

I'm not quite sure how Pocket Casts gets its list of podcasts, since it seems to have its own little selection thing, but I've yet to come across a podcast I wanted to listen to that hasn't been on it.

If you have something that's not available in their list, you can just enter any URL into the search box and it'll still add it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Any recommendation for diary/logger apps? I want to punch in at the end of the day what activities I did between what times and have the ability to total/summarise these activities at a later point. Kind of like a Calendar, but in the past instead of future.

Something like Google Calendar would be fine, but I don't think it has the ability to to the summary thing so I'm looking for something else.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Vykk.Draygo posted:

That doesn't answer my question. How often is it rebooting?

Blue Train posted:

Try /sys/fs/pstore/console-ramoops 

So by the grace of my jerk dog barking, I happened to be awake to see the phone reboot itself this morning at 4:45. Scrambled downstairs and got the log off the computer, which looks to my untrained eye like it's starting from where the reboot happened. I've got it uploaded to my Google Drive, but I don't know if there's any identifying information I should scrub from it before putting it out here?

I did check and I'm still on 11/5 security patch, and still showing Android 7.1, so no update.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 6, 2016

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I have to say I am disappointed after using Beyondpod for ~2 years there's still a couple of the same interface glitches I encounter regularly.

Still worth it though.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Magog posted:

I have to say I am disappointed after using Beyondpod for ~2 years there's still a couple of the same interface glitches I encounter regularly.

Still worth it though.

Which glitches?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Deathlove posted:

So by the grace of my jerk dog barking, I happened to be awake to see the phone reboot itself this morning at 4:45. Scrambled downstairs and got the log off the computer, which looks to my untrained eye like it's starting from where the reboot happened. I've got it uploaded to my Google Drive, but I don't know if there's any identifying information I should scrub from it before putting it out here?

I did check and I'm still on 11/5 security patch, and still showing Android 7.1, so no update.

There's going to be a lot of stuff like your email address and things in there. ctrl-f and see if you can find stuff you don't want read. I'm concerned though you might have grabbed the log going forward from the reboot rather than the last_kmsg (last kernel message)?

Also maybe I'm wrong but I thought it wasn't possible to get decent logs without being rooted now.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wrist Watch posted:

Pocket Casts looks way better, but Beyond Pod has way more functionality. I'm not quite sure how Pocket Casts gets its list of podcasts, since it seems to have its own little selection thing, but I've yet to come across a podcast I wanted to listen to that hasn't been on it. There's also a one time fee you can pay that'll let you use their web interface on PC, with full time-syncing between all versions. It's pretty sweet and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Beyond Pod is what you use if you don't care if it looks super pretty, you want all the options. Using your own files requires this weird workaround on Pocket Casts, but you can just point Beyond Pod to a directory and play whatever you want. I was listening to old episodes of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History for example, and managed to get them working by throwing them all in google drive on my pc, downloading them on my phone, and pointing Beyond Pod at my downloads folder. I did have issues with it sometimes not keeping the time which is kind of a huge problem when you're dealing with 4 hour episodes like I was, but for the most part it did it's job well enough.

Basically, Pocket Casts is story great for normal use while Beyond Pod covers basically every possible use case at the expense of design and user friendliness.

Playing HH archives is what led me to Podcast Addict . I suppose that was close to two years ago now. At the time, I used all three of those apps side by side, and Podcast Addict was and is absolutely my favorite - and the only one that appropriately handled the paid HH archives.

e: for anyone who may be curious, a lot of my posts in this thread have been about Podcast Addict and setting it up.

Manky fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 6, 2016

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

There's going to be a lot of stuff like your email address and things in there. ctrl-f and see if you can find stuff you don't want read. I'm concerned though you might have grabbed the log going forward from the reboot rather than the last_kmsg (last kernel message)?

Also maybe I'm wrong but I thought it wasn't possible to get decent logs without being rooted now.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12fNdwVyCfGZd77r0psB7R2KpQApYEBgsjtJEtZOJ9Ps/edit?usp=sharing is what I grabbed - don't see any identifying information in there, though, and it definitely looks like going from reboot forward, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'll look into getting rooted if this keeps happening after I get 7.1.1 installed; maybe installing the ROM fresh wouldn't be the worst idea I've ever had.

Also apropos of current topic, I also use Podcast Addict and vastly prefer it to BeyondPod and whatnot, mainly for the subscription stuff (for Giant Bomb/Wrestling Observer) working really well.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

Basically, Pocket Casts is story great for normal use while Beyond Pod covers basically every possible use case at the expense of design and user friendliness.

Just my two cents, which may not necessarily apply to you, but Beyond Pod used to crash a lot for me, while Pocket Casts almost never has. If you try Beyond Pod and get that problem, consider switching.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Deathlove posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12fNdwVyCfGZd77r0psB7R2KpQApYEBgsjtJEtZOJ9Ps/edit?usp=sharing is what I grabbed - don't see any identifying information in there, though, and it definitely looks like going from reboot forward, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'll look into getting rooted if this keeps happening after I get 7.1.1 installed; maybe installing the ROM fresh wouldn't be the worst idea I've ever had.

Also apropos of current topic, I also use Podcast Addict and vastly prefer it to BeyondPod and whatnot, mainly for the subscription stuff (for Giant Bomb/Wrestling Observer) working really well.

That's definitely from the boot onward. What you want is located here /sys/fs/pstore/console-ramoops though I don't know if you have permission to get it.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

LastInLine posted:

That's definitely from the boot onward. What you want is located here /sys/fs/pstore/console-ramoops though I don't know if you have permission to get it.

That's what I got - grabbed it using adb shell cat /sys/fs/pstore/console-ramoops > crash.txt on my computer, once I got to it; it'd been about fifteen minutes from crash to command, though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

jokes posted:

Is Netguard cool and good? I really like the concept and it seems to work just fine but does it do something like monitor all my traffic and spies on me or something?

It does monitor your attempted traffic as part of doing what it does, but there's no indication it's sending the info out to any remote servers.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Is there a setting or app for tidying the default "Send To" share menu in Android 6? I've got about thirty entries in mine added by all sorts of apps and every time I open it it's in a different order.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Manky posted:

Playing HH archives is what led me to Podcast Addict . I suppose that was close to two years ago now. At the time, I used all three of those apps side by side, and Podcast Addict was and is absolutely my favorite - and the only one that appropriately handled the paid HH archives.

e: for anyone who may be curious, a lot of my posts in this thread have been about Podcast Addict and setting it up.

I've fiddled with Podcast Addict in the past and it really is a very good app. It's the app that I could almost see myself leaving BeyondPod for, but I've already got BeyondPod all setup just the way I like it and I'm super familiar with the interface.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like it was probably this that caused my Google now weirdness the other day.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/12/06/google-app-update-breaks-google-now-two-feeds/

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This is a lot easier to answer if you elaborate on what exactly "pretty bad" and "fix" mean.

I apologize for my delay, i mean like this.. zooming on chrome vs firefox, one readjust the page, the other keeps it the same.

Femur fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 6, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

nexus6 posted:

Is there a setting or app for tidying the default "Send To" share menu in Android 6? I've got about thirty entries in mine added by all sorts of apps and every time I open it it's in a different order.

In 7 you can "pin" certain apps to the top of the list by long pressing on them. Don't think this works on 6.

You can try a replacement share menu like this one. Haven't used any myself, so can't recommend a specific one.

https://www.google.com/amp/lifehacker.com/appchooser-cleans-and-customizes-androids-share-menu-1561036137/amp

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Which glitches?

Occasionally while the playback screen is sliding open it will get stuck partway until hitting the button to minimise it which will cause it to complete the animation.

Also while selecting multiple episodes sometimes they highlight without actually being selected/selecting one causes another already selected to appear unselected (but from memory I'm not sure that they do actually get unselected I think it may just be visual)

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
We recently got a Lenovo tab 2 A10-30 for our little girl (babbys first computer-ish thing, basically) - but I'm at a loss as to what apps are a; engaging for a toddler, b; free and c; not full of ads and malware.
So far we just have a game where you make bubbles by touching the screen and nothing else, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Looking for simple games and very basic edutainment, any ideas?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
How old? 2? There aren't a ton of great games for that age, but there are some. My daughter was a big fan of this at that age, but I've never used the Android version. There's also a [url=https://play.google.com/store/recommended?sp=CAEqBkZBTUlMWTAAWi4KKHByb21vdGlvbl9hZ2VyYW5nZTFfMzAwMWFlNl90b2RkbGVyX2FwcHMQBxgDeggyBkZBTUlMWQ%3D%3D:s:ANO1ljI7ZEQ&c=apps]Toddler's section[/url] on the play store. Fisher Price has a ton of games on the play store too. You really just have to browse around and try out stuff. That's a tough age for finding games.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I just ran into something interesting in google maps. Who the gently caress thought this was a good idea instead of just putting a button to recalibrate or whatever? :psyduck:

And yes, you're supposed to completely turn your phone around and upside down to do it properly.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
? That's how you calibrate the compass, same as any other phone

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

I just ran into something interesting in google maps. Who the gently caress thought this was a good idea instead of just putting a button to recalibrate or whatever? :psyduck:

And yes, you're supposed to completely turn your phone around and upside down to do it properly.

....it's a physical sensor, you can't recalibrate it by pushing a button......

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Oh, I thought it was something new since I hadn't run into it before. Didn't realize it was a physical sensor.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

Oh, I thought it was something new since I hadn't run into it before. Didn't realize it was a physical sensor.

It's a compass. How do you think your phone tells which way is north if it's not a sensor?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's a compass. How do you think your phone tells which way is north if it's not a sensor?

The compass app obviously.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

CLAM DOWN posted:

To be perfectly honest I'd never really thought about it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I find I have to calibrate my compass on my 6P way too much. It's actually pretty frustrating.