Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

Can you really not get a 2gb sd card and just leave it fat16?

Yeah but then it has all the nice bugs that come with it like amount of files limited per folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Wow, would this be safe to do or would it work with a video pot? Trying to adjust the width of the crt in my Megatouch gets wonky; it bounces all over the place which is what I would imagine is the video version of crackling. Eventually after a lot of fiddling I can get it to work right but the planets have to be aligned properly. Any idea if the contact lens solution would work for that? Just want to make sure it's safe. Also that it would work... contact lens solution is expensive for this one time application!

Elliotw2 posted:

Contact lens cleaner is a bit expensive since you can get contact cleaner or aerosolized isopropyl alcohol and just spray that in there and it'll do the same thing.

Also since it's alcohol and not purified water, it'll dry considerably quicker and you don't have to worry about accidental shorts.

Contact cleaner is the correct solution, but I will say that using Target brand contact lens solution for $3 was cheap as balls and worked instantly.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Contact lens cleaner tends to be saline, though. That's bad juju six months down the road. Just use lectramotive like the rest of us? Just because the word "contact" is in the name doesn't mean you should use it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

For what it's worth, I did check to see if there was saline in the product I used, and there was not. Lectramotive, eh? Okay.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

univbee posted:

the upcoming Super Russian Roulette will be an 8 megabyte game. :eyepop: Not only bigger than any commercial NES game by miles, but bigger even than any SNES game.
Is this a case of modern developers just being developers (ie lazy) because they can be?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

falz posted:

Is this a case of modern developers just being developers (ie lazy) because they can be?

The game is going to have a little over a half-hour of digitized audio.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Yeah apparently it was upgraded from 1 MB to 8 MB for the audio. The devs said something about having to do a ton of design work to accommodate the 8MB ROM.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any good homebrew stuff on the SNES? Or ROM hacks that are genuinely worth playing? I want more things to do with my SD2SNES.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I use Radio Shack contact cleaner for pots, it works great. My supergun started flickering and getting a blue tint randomly and it upset me because it was kind of a hard to get model and they were supposed to be good anyway, but it turns out something had just gotten in the tiny 3-gang pot that controls the brightness because contact cleaner not only fixed the problem but made the brightness control totally smooth, where previously it was always kind of a flickery control like the video equivalent of a noisy pot. It also brings things like pushbuttons back from the dead and works great as an edge connector cleaner, stuff rules

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 6, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fleedar posted:

Is there any good homebrew stuff on the SNES? Or ROM hacks that are genuinely worth playing? I want more things to do with my SD2SNES.

The various SNES demoscene releases are nice to look at, though most you'll not want to come back to after you watch/use them once: http://www.pouet.net/prodlist.php?platform%5B%5D=SNES%2FSuper+Famicom&page=1

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

fishmech posted:

The various SNES demoscene releases are nice to look at, though most you'll not want to come back to after you watch/use them once: http://www.pouet.net/prodlist.php?platform%5B%5D=SNES%2FSuper+Famicom&page=1

kinda weird that 2.68mhz isn't in there, thought it was the most famous SNES demo

edit: I'm dumb and missed that there is more than one page. here's how you filter for just demos:

http://www.pouet.net/prodlist.php?type%5B%5D=demo&platform%5B%5D=SNES%2FSuper+Famicom&page=1

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 6, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

d0s posted:

kinda weird that 2.68mhz isn't in there, thought it was the most famous SNES demo

edit: I'm dumb and missed that there is more than one page. here's how you filter for just demos:

http://www.pouet.net/prodlist.php?type%5B%5D=demo&platform%5B%5D=SNES%2FSuper+Famicom&page=1

Yeah the list I gave covers all the demoscene software, so it's demos proper, homebrew games/software, cracktros, chiptune music pack roms, etc.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

Yeah but then it has all the nice bugs that come with it like amount of files limited per folder.

Huh, didn't even realize the limit was that low, although the N8 caps out at 254 files per folder anyway, maybe the SMS has a similar limit anyway?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Been digging into the PCE CD library with my retropie and good lord does that system know how to do a good soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bORGHpivY_E

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Hey I have a serious itch to play some N64 games again, specifically Ogre Battle 64. I know there was a preferred plugin setup to emulate that poo poo last time I had this urge, back in like 2011, but I remember nothing about it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I missed the last 800+ messages so I'm not sure it was discussed. But I was wondering why the Framemeisters on Amazon jumped from $360 to over $600, and I just got an email from Retrogame Cables saying the Framemeister is being discontinued in February and low stock now from lack of a few IC's.

Dammit, I should have just bit the bullet when they were $360 on Amazon Prime over the summer. Is there a new model coming out?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FireMrshlBill posted:

I missed the last 800+ messages so I'm not sure it was discussed. But I was wondering why the Framemeisters on Amazon jumped from $360 to over $600, and I just got an email from Retrogame Cables saying the Framemeister is being discontinued in February and low stock now from lack of a few IC's.

Dammit, I should have just bit the bullet when they were $360 on Amazon Prime over the summer. Is there a new model coming out?
Some are speculating a new model will come out but nobody knows at this point.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Harlock posted:

Some are speculating a new model will come out but nobody knows at this point.

I'm just worried they may not see a worthwhile market that the current model didn't already satisfy. Though it would be amazing if they do come out with a new model and the Framemeisters get sold off as people upgrade.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Don't expect anything until at least 2018. They're buying up as much parts they can from one of their suppliers that is EOL'ing the part so they can continue to manufacture the Framemeister for at least a year.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Solaris still has it listed at the normal price (I think) with an expected shipping date of about two months from now.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Apparently you can catch the boomerang in Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3. I did not know that when this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIU_iArlBfM

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm not really concerned about the framemiester because I think decent CRT TVs will always be available within my lifetime, but will they continue to make the XPC-4? Stuff like trisync CRT monitors for old computers are already super hard to find and I think the one I have will be the last one I ever see that isn't insanely expensive

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

I think decent CRT TVs will always be available within my lifetime

This reminds me, I was tidying up my retro cave tonight and looked at my 1702s, and got worried about how much time they have left. I treat them incredibly well and maybe power them on a few times a year for an hour or two tops, but I worry. :ohdear:

They're such good little CRTs. There's probably a million of them out there, I need to find a pallet of them, still shrinkwrapped, that's been sitting in a dry, temperature controlled warehouse for the last few decades.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

d0s posted:

I'm not really concerned about the framemiester because I think decent CRT TVs will always be available within my lifetime, but will they continue to make the XPC-4? Stuff like trisync CRT monitors for old computers are already super hard to find and I think the one I have will be the last one I ever see that isn't insanely expensive

And if the Framemeister disappears completely, other scan converters will pop up, such as the Open Source Scan Converter (when/if it becomes available again).

https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/source-converter-barebones/
+
https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/source-converter-advanced/

Personally, I've got a kickass top-of-the-line 28" 4:3 CRT TV in amazing condition, and I'll keep it running for as long as possible. But when/if that dies at some point, I'm sure I'll be able to find a decent scan converter.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Tv manufacturers will cash in on the retro craze by advertising LCDs with low input lag and good upscalers. Oh and scart inputs

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hell, if they ever make an LCD TV with a built in scanline shader, I'll consider that. As it is I'm having a hell of a time finding anything anymore that has any inputs beyond HDMI and VGA-if-you're-lucky. Years ago I found a TV/monitor combo that featured just about every input under the sun and I bought two of those. Turns out though that the one thing they can't do is compensate for overscan and it's getting a bit obvious with PS4 games.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Tv manufacturers will cash in on the retro craze by advertising LCDs with low input lag and good upscalers. Oh and scart inputs

still a FaiLCD :twisted:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

:retrogames::retrogames::retrogames: Twinkle Star Sprites :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

:retrogames::retrogames::retrogames: Twinkle Star Sprites :retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:

http://www.neostore.com/Twinkle-Star-Sprites-motorcycle-helmet-p/1353.htm

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Can anyone who's a huge accuracy sperg comment on the GB emulation in the everdrive gba? I'm thinking of getting one and wondering if I should get an everdrive gb at the same time. Does it do anything special to take advantage of the GB hardware or is it just a general purpose emulator that happens to run on the GBA? I know it's not running the games natively since the pins are on the wrong side, but I thought GBA software had access to the GB hardware at the same time.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Mister Chief posted:

Jesus I don't even want to ask how much that set you back. Also I never got to be :smug: back during Windjammers chat

Who wants to come over?! We got grape kool aid and corndogs! Too bad the smuggo is less smug with TWSS up there :saddowns:

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

And if the Framemeister disappears completely, other scan converters will pop up, such as the Open Source Scan Converter (when/if it becomes available again).

https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/source-converter-barebones/
+
https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/source-converter-advanced/

Personally, I've got a kickass top-of-the-line 28" 4:3 CRT TV in amazing condition, and I'll keep it running for as long as possible. But when/if that dies at some point, I'm sure I'll be able to find a decent scan converter.

Ya, Retro Gaming Cables sent another email this morning with a link to pre-orders for the OSSC as an alternative to the Framemeister.

I'm fine right now with my 27" Trinitron and 14" PVM, though I would still like to get a decent upscaler in the future. I'm in the process of buying a house and the basement will have a perfect nook/corner in my office area for my CRT and retro set up. I'll just need to get a second set of power adapters so I can easily move the system to my PVM that I'll keep by my desk.

Also, I see that the gcvideo is compatible with the Gamecubes without the digital port. So I think I'll do the mod in the spring on my spare GC since it doesn't have a digital port. Get some money to them to help develop the plug n play adapters.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

flyboi posted:

Jesus I don't even want to ask how much that set you back. Also I never got to be :smug: back during Windjammers chat

Who wants to come over?! We got grape kool aid and corndogs! Too bad the smuggo is less smug with TWSS up there :saddowns:

Holy poo poo is that an awesome looking consolized MVS? Want.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

falz posted:

Holy poo poo is that an awesome looking consolized MVS? Want.

Yeah and it's decked out with a virtual memory card and unibios. I think the guy sells assembled sets now for $530ish? It's nice because it supports composite, s-video, component & scart video out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

FireMrshlBill posted:

Ya, Retro Gaming Cables sent another email this morning with a link to pre-orders for the OSSC as an alternative to the Framemeister.

Cool. They're not selling it themselves, just pointing to the Video Game Perfection site?

I've been absolutely pleased with the PS2 SCART RGB cable I bought from RGC. Very nice quality product, the picture quality is just perfect.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

flyboi posted:

Yeah and it's decked out with a virtual memory card and unibios. I think the guy sells assembled sets now for $530ish? It's nice because it supports composite, s-video, component & scart video out.

That actually seems reasonable somehow. Although it doesn't seem to come with a controller.

They appear to be in stock. Somehow they were selling on eBay a few months back for 40% more, must be streaky stock levels.

I'm doing the math on that + controller + multicart vs cdz or aes. Do any burnable multi game CDs exist?

:retrogames:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I don't think there's any multi-game CD's for the NGCD because Neo Geo games were multiple hundreds of MB anyway.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

falz posted:

That actually seems reasonable somehow. Although it doesn't seem to come with a controller.

They appear to be in stock. Somehow they were selling on eBay a few months back for 40% more, must be streaky stock levels.

I'm doing the math on that + controller + multicart vs cdz or aes. Do any burnable multi game CDs exist?

Just a heads up, with the virtual memory card some of the multi carts bug out. 120-in-1 is 100% ok but 150 and 160-in-1 cannot go back to the game menu unless you remove the memory card, which you can't. Both require a power cycle to get back to the main menu.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

flyboi posted:

I had to take advantage of living in Japan at some point. Next week I'm going to Tokyo too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Cool. They're not selling it themselves, just pointing to the Video Game Perfection site?

I've been absolutely pleased with the PS2 SCART RGB cable I bought from RGC. Very nice quality product, the picture quality is just perfect.

Ya, they just linked to another site. Here is the link. Ya, I ordered some cables from them, a SCART to BNC adapter for my PVM and some SCART cables. Even order the Framemeister scart adapter cable for the future, but that may have been a waste, haha

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 7, 2016

• Locked thread